• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
CpdHcppWAAAxnB7.jpg

Trump thinks if Hillary adds 3 SCOTUS judges, and each serve 25 years, this equates to the US being "gone" for 75 years.

Someone should tell him they serve at the same time, not in order...

Eh... I'm not sure he's multiplying them. He gave multiple numbers: three, four, or five justices serving for 20 or 25 years. True, three times 25 is 75, but it's not like that's the only combination of justices and years that he mentioned. Saying 75 might have just been his way of saying "a really long time" or "a long enough time that the damage done will be irreversible."

Then again, it's Trump, so who knows?

lyrick

Dan Rather Chiming in:

https://www.facebook.com/theDanRather said:
Not trying-to-be objective and fair journalist, no citizen who cares about the country and its future can ignore what Donald Trump said today. When he suggested that "The Second Amendment People" can stop Hillary Clinton he crossed a line with dangerous potential. By any objective analysis, this is a new low and unprecedented in the history of American presidential politics. This is no longer about policy, civility, decency or even temperament. This is a direct threat of violence against a political rival. It is not just against the norms of American politics, it raises a serious question of whether it is against the law. If any other citizen had said this about a Presidential candidate, would the Secret Service be investigating?
Candidate Trump will undoubtably issue an explanation; some of his surrogates are already engaged in trying to gloss it over, but once the words are out there they cannot be taken back. That is what inciting violence means.
To anyone who still pretends this is a normal election of Republican against Democrat, history is watching. And I suspect its verdict will be harsh. Many have tried to do a side-shuffle and issue statements saying they strongly disagree with his rhetoric but still support the candidate. That is becoming woefully insufficient. The rhetoric is the candidate.
This cannot be treated as just another outrageous moment in the campaign. We will see whether major newscasts explain how grave and unprecedented this is and whether the headlines in tomorrow's newspapers do it justice. We will soon know whether anyone who has publicly supported Trump explains how they can continue to do.
We are a democratic republic governed by the rule of law. We are an honest, fair and decent people. In trying to come to terms with today's discouraging development the best I can do is to summon our greatest political poet Abraham Lincoln for perspective:
"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."
Lincoln used these stirring words to end his First Inaugural Address. It was the eve of the Civil War and sadly his call for sanity, cohesion and peace was met with horrific violence that almost left our precious Union asunder. We cannot let that happen again.

Imagine a president who talks like Trump. Imagine the world leaders he would offend. Hell imagine the countries he would make enemies of.

Imagine how "it was just a joke guys!" would sound to such an audience.

I wonder what Barack Lesnar makes of this. I mean it's probably too late to withdraw an endorsement. I mean if you endorsed someone and they did this, the damage of that is so much smaller than the extra damage you get for continuing to endorse them after something like this. And withdrawing endorsement brings with it a cost all of its own.

But I hope Trump hangs a bunch more shit around the necks of everyone who endorsed him.

Dan Rather Chiming in:

To anyone who still pretends this is a normal election of Republican against Democrat, history is watching. And I suspect its verdict will be harsh. Many have tried to do a side-shuffle and issue statements saying they strongly disagree with his rhetoric but still support the candidate. That is becoming woefully insufficient. The rhetoric is the candidate.

Perfectly said

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I'm blown away that this whole '2nd Amendment People' thing didn't spur a bunch of people on the right to immediately denounce Trump. Anyone who endorsed him because they thought they had to play along should feel like they have enough cover to unendorse him.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
People are blinded by the hate they've manufactured for Clinton to become sensible people. They are damaged goods. The Republican Party needs to be burned down and remade.

I'm blown away that this whole '2nd Amendment People' thing didn't spur a bunch of people on the right to immediately denounce Trump. Anyone who endorsed him because they thought they had to play along should feel like they have enough cover to unendorse him.

This is hard for the GOP to figure out. On one hand, it's gross as fuck, and they know that. On the other hand, it's guns and the NRA.

ampere

CpdHcppWAAAxnB7.jpg

Trump thinks if Hillary adds 3 SCOTUS judges, and each serve 25 years, this equates to the US being "gone" for 75 years.

Someone should tell him they serve at the same time, not in order...

What do you expect someone to do with three numbers? Clearly they are added together!

Diablos

I'm telling you there's still a chance for Trump to bow out or somehow be forced out. He's a shithead, yes. Mostly dumb, yes. But not so dumb that he doesn't realize the implications of some of his tactics.

John HarwoodVerified account
‏@JohnJHarwood
Trump to Hannity on "2nd Amdmt people": "NRA agrees 100% with what I said. there can be no other interpretation. I mean, give me a break"

NO OTHER!

amy walterVerified account
‏@amyewalter
Phoenix focus group - worries about Trump's 'go it alone ' style 'if we were looking for a Noriega, he'd be great' #walmartmoms

amy walter ‏@amyewalter 1h1 hour ago
who are u voting for: HRC - 2; Trump -3, other-5
Who do u think will win? Trump- 0; HRC - 9 #walmartmoms

Damn.

If you vouched for someone and they did this, you'd be downplaying it too. Because the damage was already done when the person you endorsed suggested that maybe we should kill a president we don't like.

The only course of action you have really is to argue that it never happened.

You already made the fatal error when you endorsed a guy like Trump who was *always* going to do something like this. Always.

120v

i tuned into Hannity today to see how he'd explain this one away and he had a guy on saying trump's facebook Likes could mean he's secretly ahead in polling.

Iolo

I'm telling you there's still a chance for Trump to bow out or somehow be forced out. He's a shithead, yes. Mostly dumb, yes. But not so dumb that he doesn't realize the implications of some of his tactics.

how is your stomach not a mass of ulcers at this point

ampere

I think I'm actually going to go to that paid fundraiser for hilldawg in ATL this weekend. This violence call bullshit from Trump has me motivated to donate to Queen again

Anywhere to follow Ryan's primary results? I don't know why I'm looking for it when in the end, he's just gonna win by 40 pts or something.

how is your stomach not a mass of ulcers at this point
Because stress does not cause ulcers. Also, ulcers appear at the opening of the stomach and the esophagus, because there is no mucus lining there, not the stomach proper.

Also because Diablos is an idea, not a person, thus he does not have a stomach.

Wilsongt

lol hot scoops.

Shkreli tweeted Sunday, "I'm dead serious. I reviewed a number of videos and I think @HillaryClinton has early onset Parkinson's Disease." He discussed his claims several hours later via Periscope.

Iolo

Because stress does not cause ulcers. Also, ulcers appear at the opening of the stomach and the esophagus, because there is no mucus lining there, not the stomach proper.

This post gave me an ulcer.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

Diablos is an idea, a person, and a stomach all at once.

the Trinity of PoliGAF

gaugebozo

So I don't want to take too much focus off of Mussolini's campaign, but this is the place I figured would know the answer to this: why are gymnast's butts so shiny? It doesn't look like the rest of their outfits.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
i tuned into Hannity today to see how he'd explain this one away and he had a guy on saying trump's facebook Likes could mean he's secretly ahead in polling.

I legit laughed out loud at this post simply because of how well it sums up Fox News these days.

As for Trump's comments, I think the fact that almost nobody has come out and spoken against him from the GOP is a clear sign of how dangerously far the NRA has intertwined itself into Washington. It is completely disgusting and dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom