• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Maybe Trumpism Doesn't Work Without Trump

Expect successful party reset after Trump. That's why taking the house now and ramming Clinton's legislation down everyone's gaping throats is dire.

I mean during the primaries, Wisconsin as a whole showed they don't give two shits about Trump. Using Wisconsin as evidence that "Trumpism" has no sway is not too dissimilar as using Utah. It would be more informative to look at States were Trump is popular.

Also blah blah Trump is a symptom not a cause blah blah Trump isn't going silently into the night blah blah

2339nml.jpg

TheFatOne

Maybe Trumpism Doesn't Work Without Trump

Expect successful party reset after Trump. That's why taking the house now and ramming Clinton's legislation down everyone's gaping throats is dire.

lol at a party reset. Primaries will hit, and they will go too far right. They won't be able to help themselves. Nothing they have done so far would suggest a party reset. The only thing that will happen is that you will hear Trump wasn't a real conservative or wasn't conservative enough.

Iolo

It's actually funny to think about how weak Hillary is in Iowa, all the way back from the 2008 caucus, to the 2016 caucus, to probably election day. I have no doubts that she'll win it, but it'll probably be a measly ~5% win, whereas neighbouring MN/WI/IL will all be double digit wins.

Based on what we know now, Hillary did better in Iowa in the 2016 primary than she had any right to. (Despite polls having had her up there.) I think this was due to organization and months of hard work on the ground, which in my opinion is not showing up in the polls.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
He bought a house. He's back to being an Independent from Vermont. He wrote an editorial that (barely) supported Hillary, and basically argued she understands things better than Trump.

We have Warren, the superior Bernie Sanders.

In every way.

Her safe states put her over...

This is the real thing people need to know right now, with NH being the least-safe state. LOL!

We can't just bank on a Hillary victory but at this point the focus should all go to the congressional races. They may try to lock her down worse than Obama. No justice submissions, shutting down the government and just doing everything they can to tank her term.

We need majority movement big time.

I just saw something about the fbi and Clinton foundation
What's that about?
A bank notified the FBI about highly suspicious activity in an anonymous account. This ended up being tied to the Clinton Foundation and a wealthy donor. The FBI and DoJ argued internally about whether there was enough evidence to proceed with an investigation. Final decision was no.

Don't look this up quite yet, though. Only shitty articles. For instance the Daily Caller claims that the DOJ declined FBI's request to investigate. No, the DOJ does not investigate on behalf of the federal bureau of INVESTIGATION. Lol.

This article reminds me of Sonic apologists talking about how the next game is going to be great! Both are based on an outright refusal to identify the actual problem.
Radical Islam?

lol at a party reset. Primaries will hit, and they will go too far right. They won't be able to help themselves. Nothing they have done so far would suggest a party reset. The only thing that will happen is that you will hear Trump wasn't a real conservative or wasn't conservative enough.

I had someone tell me yesterday that he was disappointed that he had to pick between four democrats for the GE.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Trump's only up 2 in SC? That's crazy.

Helpful countdown clock to the election.

t1478581200z1.png

There's a long way to go.

Yep. Been saying this for a while. WAY too much time left.

listening to speech, some of these might have been mentioned already, presented as she says them, with no fact checking.

infrastructure investment first thing

broadband in every american household by 2020

25 billion in infrastructure bank

10 billion in "make it in america" program for manufacturing

cutting red tape and simplifying tax code for small businesses (no specifics)

easier to refinance and pay student loan

debt free college for middle class

high quality union training programs

tax credits for paid apprenticeships

national campaign for skilled work

stop trade deals that kill jobs including TPP (lol)

triple trade enforcement agents

no hesitations for enforcing tariffs as penalty

exit tax for corporations? (missed the first half of this)

calling out "Trump Loophole"

advocating for the estate tax

childcare for all americans and limit it to 10% income

expand child tax credit

Internal Yoder poll has him up 17 and Clinton up 6 in KS-03. lol

Trump's only up 2 in SC? That's crazy.

Yep. Been saying this for a while. WAY too much time left.

Yes, but we're also getting to the point where polling is becoming increasingly predictive of the eventual result.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Give me a broad band of student loan forgiveness -- like for everyone that graduated 2004-2012 -- and I'll give you an exploding economy. Single biggest issue for an entire generation and will haunt them for the rest of their lives.

Hillary if you fix this, you fix everything.

blackw0lf

Most of this in Hillary's speech isn't new. But it will be new for a lot of people who have just started paying attention, and because the media is more inclined to cover it.

Slacker

Some random funnies from twitter (I'll c&p to save you the slideshow clicks)

* Donald Trump has no political experience. Meanwhile you need 5 years experience for an entry level management position at Chili's.

* how high can mexicans climb #DonaldTrumpsGoogleHistory

* Since Bernie didn't win the nomination, I'm gonna vote for Trump. Also, since the store didn't have my favorite beer, I'm gonna drink bleach.

* Torn this election season. I think it would be awesome to have the first woman president. But I'm also curious about the apocalypse.

* I wouldn't vote for a woman just because I'm a woman, just like people shouldn't vote for Trump just because they're idiots.

* I saw a guy being arrested and his car had a "Make America Great Again" sticker and I couldn't help but think "Well, that's a good start."

teiresias

Give me a broad band of student loan forgiveness -- like for everyone that graduated 2004-2012 -- and I'll give you an exploding economy. Single biggest issue for an entire generation and will haunt them for the rest of their lives.

Hillary if you fix this, you fix everything.

Do I just get a cash rebate since I've already paid mine off?

hawk2025

Spend those 10 billion in a comprehensive retraining program instead.

Chasing the manufacturing unicorn is a mistake. We don't want to end up with a subsidized monstrosity with significant lobbying power like the corn industry.

Republicans to RNC about Trump: Cut him off

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/republicans-urge-rnc-cut-funds-trump-226918

Dozens of Republicans to urge RNC to cut off funds for Trump

The open letter pushes the RNC to shift resources to Senate and House races.

More than 70 Republicans have signed an open letter to Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus urging him to stop spending any money to help Donald Trump win in November and shift those contributions to Senate and House races.

The letter comes as a number of Republican senators and high-profile GOP national security officials have come forward saying they cannot vote for Trump.

Former Sen. Gordon Humphrey of New Hampshire and former Reps. Chris Shays of Connecticut, Tom Coleman of Missouri and Vin Weber of Minnesota are among the Republicans lending their name to the letter. Close to 20 of the co-signers are former RNC staffers, including Mindy Finn (former RNC chief digital strategist), Christine Iverson Gunderson (former RNC press secretary), Virginia Hume Onufer (former RNC deputy press secretary), Beth Miller (former RNC field communications division director), Heather Layman (former deputy press secretary), B. Jay Cooper (former RNC communications director under four chairmen) and Patrick Ruffini (former RNC ecampaign director).

Republican Andrew Weinstein, a vocal anti-Trump Republican, is one of the operatives organizing the letter, which began circulating earlier this week and is expected to be sent next week. Weinstein served as director of media relations for the Dole/Kemp presidential campaign and was deputy press secretary to then-House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

Weinstein said that the letter is coming from “People who want the party to protect its majorities in the Senate and the House. It’s not an endorsement of anybody.”

Ophelion

If I haven't been saying this out loud in here, pretend I have.

I'm not that worried about a more conventionally styled and competent candidate with Trump's message because the popularity of Trump's message goes hand in hand with his fame and dumbfuck charisma.

I said this very thing to someone just yesterday. Part of what makes Trump work is all the time before the race that went into his branding. No one else in America could do the Trump, but Trump. I don't believe this is a viable campaign strategy for other people.

Tarkus

Does Trump ever tour facilities and factories while on the campaign trail? I've never seen a photo of him doing so.

Diablos

The last leak backfired so badly that I don't think Russia will try again for a good while.
Yeah maybe so. But if it's across 100 people who knows what they could dig up. Would rather not have to think about it heading into the GE. But I'm more pissed than anything that Russia is singling out Dems and trying to sabotage the election. It's just infuriating.

I guess IA is starting to be more of a toss up or lean R state this cycle? Unfortunate, but the electoral map is looking more than solid enough for her that she can do without it. Also it seems to be perhaps the most ideal swing state for who Trump's campaign really speaks to?

Kangi

The CAH is brilliant.

Trump supporters are going to want to win so as to not take a hit to their pride, yet they'll be giving money straight to Killary. Decisions, decisions.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Do I just get a cash rebate since I've already paid mine off?

I mean, there's nuance there. If you've already paid yours off then you were not overburdened by tuition (via your parents, local funding, etc) or didn't have hampered success in your chosen field due to technological, economic, or socioeconomic forces. Meaning if you are suffering economically at this minute it's not because you're carrying student loans.

It's kinda like asking "me too?" if you have a job and are wondering why people get unemployment.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Question about student loans....

Have these been packaged into larger assets ala mortgages backed securities?

I just want to know if there would be unintended damage done to the economy if student loans were to be forgiven.

Prologue

lol she wants him to release his tax return, after she gave such a run around for months about her speeches.

What a circus. I start to like her and then she has these kinds of moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom