• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of the following TV shows have you watched?

- The Sopranos
- The Wire
- True Detective
- Breaking Bad
- Better Call Saul
- Mr. Robot

- Star Trek: the Next Generation
- The Americans
These haven't earned a place on this list yet (and I dont think BB or BCS ever will. I don't think they are really as strong.

BB was good but it was only every a classic in a few episodes imo. And I love the show

True Detective Season 1 is probably the most over-rated show in recent memory; it is the definition of all style and no substance. Okay, that's hyperbolic but I really soured on it as the season went on.

I'll second a motion that The Sopranos and the Wire are the only ones from that selection that deserve to be on the best ever list though.

Also, if we're on the subject of Netflix series....

Can I recommend "F is for Family"? It's not BoJack level good, but it's a damn good show too.

Also, the first two (and half of the third) season of TNG were rough as fuck

Aylinato

tumblr_mknvhwvlkR1qcs48qo1_500.gif

Is that carrot top?

Crayons

Banned
I really like Bojack Horseman, but its really hard to get me to laugh if I'm not drunk or stoned. So it seldom succeeds in that aspect

These haven't earned a place on this list yet (and I dont think BB or BCS ever will. I don't think they are really as strong.

BB was good but it was only every a classic in a few episodes imo. And I love the show
I've seen all of these and I'm going to disagree but I respect your opinion, Met. Also I think Mr. Robot is significant for being avant garde and may go down as being a pivotal moment in cinematography.

Bowdz

I'll agree on BCS, but BB is top tier TV, no debate brah.

Where is Trump even spending the money he raises? He's not doing TV buys and his ground game in important states is non existent.
We don't know. My guess is Manafort and his chums are pocketing a big margin, and the rest is going towards organizing his crazy spectacle rallies where he arrives in his Trump airplane/helicopter shit.

apology

I know these types of issues are thorny. I myself, am obviously extremely lucky to be a white dude. I don’t know what fear of being outed as a gay person is and never will.

I wrote the post from my own experience. I’ve used these services and have wanted to share things I couldn’t, be more honest than I could and can be due to social norms around sex, dating and life. I approached the situation from that perspective which is obviously much different than the visceralness of being only 20 years of it being criminalized in the US. and still punishable by death in many places. I face only embarrassment or mild castigation for what I was basing my experience on. I’m extremely careful about what I share online do to those mild fears. I meant to express that. Obviously, I, in the process of that, seemingly and unintentionally gave the impression, or did, downplay certain aspects of many people here. I understand that. I’m sorry.

Though, I can’t compare the two. I should have know better or realized how things would come out. On GAF there have been a few times where the issue of antisemtism has come up and I feel anger and contempt for people seemingly downplaying it. For people skirting around that issue to focus on another one that they cared more about. I did the same here. And I couldn’t see that. That’s my fault and my error.

I knew what I was posting was likely to get some attention like that and I knew I was going to get victim blaming posts. But I thought something was missing from the discussion. I still think there is a lot missing from the discussion about privacy, especially on the internet and changing norms. But that doesn’t need to be brought to every discussion. Privilege does that though, it blinds you and makes you feel like you need or should make a point which can be better made at other times, I should have known that as I’ve learned a lot about that in my many years on GAF.

And I want to add that the doubling down kind of comes from the internet and its almost automatic. Nobody wants to be wrong. And with the ability to quote and selectively respond it feels worse because you feel like people aren’t being honest and twisting you into saying things you never said or feel. And just seeing all the green text overwhelms. And you end up going down a rabbit hole you never wanted to go down and sometimes saying things you didn’t want to somehow 'win' or 'defend yourself'. There are still posts that I think misrepresent me but I can’t fix them all, people take what they want to take from your words. That’s why you have to be careful with them. When they leave you mouth or keyboard you can’t take them back or force someone to react a certain way.

There’s more I can say but I just wanted to post this. I walked into a hornets nest and got stung.

I really didn’t mean anything to justify outing, and if I said anything like that I’m sorry I was wrong. Poligaf is a home for me and I love how inclusive it is. And it's made me a better person and hopefully this will to. Didn’t mean to upset this.

There are likely times in this post where I didn’t own up fully or maybe said something wrong or that I shouldnt have. Feel free to point those out, I’m open to doing better in the future and improving my blindness around many issues. GAF is good about that.
Post some gifs now.

I was way snarkier than was ever called for. My apologies.

I also do understand where your point is coming from. I would say that the digital "town square," so too speak, is something more applicable to social media posts or blogs (physically this is talking or protesting in public) instead of sexual relationships (physically this would be dating in a public area, where privacy isn't technically given, but depending on the place, could be expected or not).

It's an interesting topic, and I'd enjoy exploring it with you (and others) in another conversation sometime.

Can I recommend "F is for Family"? It's not BoJack level good, but it's a damn good show too.

I watched a few episodes of that but it didn't click with me.

Eh. It's just bill bur doing his thing.

Great TV needs to do something special in the format of Television to many times are movies with drawn out with cliffhangers that's not good TV.

The wire, sopranos, lost (even without the second people didn't like), Seinfeld did something that is only possible in the format

I've seen all of these and I'm going to disagree but I respect your opinion, Met. Also I think Mr. Robot is significant for being avant garde and may go down as being a pivotal moment in cinematography.
It apes it cinematography from film which I think is cheating. It's good! But I think classics need to define their medium rather than just being good and imitating others.

Owzers

Hillary is a liar because she is evasive on questions about her email, doesn't represent what Comey said accurately. Trump yells out OBAMA FOUNDED ISIS several times and in an interview the next day he goes over how all he does is tell the truth and he's a truth teller. You know, they are kinda the same thing aren't they?

Eh. It's just bill bur doing his thing.

Great TV needs to do something special in the format of Television to many times are movies with drawn out with cliffhangers that's not good TV.

The wire, sopranos, lost (even without the second people didn't like), Seinfeld did something that is only possible in the format

That's fair. Like I said, it wasn't the most brilliant of shows. But, it was a good way to spend an afternoon. No where near on the level of BoJack or something like that.

Also we gotta be careful not to fall into the "only modern things are good" trap. M*A*S*H, Twilight Zone, Mary Tyler Moore, Andy Griffith, etc all deserve to be in the conversation even if they have content limitations based on the time periods in which they were created.

slow news day, huh

This made me laugh XD

Best shows:

Arrested Development
Breaking Bad
M*A*S*H
All in the Family
Steven Universe
Spaced
Paranoia Agent
Hare + Guu
The Twilight Zone
Community
Batman: The Animated Series
Rocko's Modern Life

Ones I used to like more:

Orange is the New Black
Roseanne (hard to watch 'cause of Roseanne)

One I'm debating:

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy (need to watch it in full a second time to see if it's genuinely good or just fanservice)

OH MY GOD! It has Liza in it!? You all buried the lead. Seriously. You want a gay man t do something, tell me it has Liza in it.

You are going to love this show

I see you are a gob person.

gob-trick.gif

How can you not be

Paskil

I'm kinda hyping myself up and want to watch the entire series again, even though I've seen every episode at least five times.

Retro

The first season of Rome is still the best chunk of television, beginning to end, I've ever seen. Great sets, great actors, great "you know the story, but not what really happened" approach, great music, and the best damn bromance ever.

It's just a shame it was so expensive to make that they had to condense Season 2 to almost breakneck speeds. But god damn, what a ride that first season was.

Thirteen, bitches.

I'm kinda hyping myself up and want to watch the entire series again, even though I've seen every episode at least five times.
IT DOESNT GET WORSE!

It's like the most amazing show where even though you've watched it an know all the jokes it's still hilarious

Mr. F gets me every time as does Tobias' homoeroticism

"And Tobias finally realized there was something about the way he talked"

Plus, isn't it more fun to be surprised

We could have just been all "hey, this show has Malory Archer and BoJack Horseman and Liza Minnelli"

You do not bury Liza Minnelli. Period. When she's as dead as Harambe...she will still not be buried. She is QUEEN.

My really good friend does a really good Liza impersonation. But, he hasn't performed in like three months because he broke his ankle.

Tubie

How many of the following TV shows have you watched?

- The Sopranos
- The Wire
- True Detective
- Breaking Bad
- Better Call Saul
- Mr. Robot
- Star Trek: the Next Generation
- The Americans

I assume Mr. Robot get better later on, cause I've just started watching and after 2 episodes it feels like an ok show not great.

You do not bury Liza Minnelli. Period. When she's as dead as Harambe...she will still not be buried. She is QUEEN.

My really good friend does a really good Liza impersonation. But, he hasn't performed in like three months because he broke his ankle.
👀

Plus, isn't it more fun to be surprised

We could have just been all "hey, this show has Malory Archer and BoJack Horseman and Liza Minnelli"
And Fonzie AKA the guy who had a guest appearance on Law and Order SVU, Ritchie Cunningham as narrator, and Saul Goodman..

Also.. I'm liking the Art of the Deal movie for some reason.

This is all a plan to get me to watch through Arrested Development again, isn't it? Maybe I'll go thought it after finishing 3rd Rock from the Sun (which is a criminally underrated show).

The first season of Rome is still the best chunk of television, beginning to end, I've ever seen. Great sets, great actors, great "you know the story, but not what really happened" approach, great music, and the best damn bromance ever.

It's just a shame it was so expensive to make that they had to condense Season 2 to almost breakneck speeds. But god damn, what a ride that first season was.

Thirteen, bitches.
Yup.. I loved Rome.. That and.. Deadwood.. :(

Ian McShane is a hero.

And Trump supporter Bob Lawblaw

And TV's judge Reinhold
Shit forgot them..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom