• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

Florida democrats are a fucking embarrassment if they manage to lose to Rubio.

How much attack material did he fucking gift rap to you during this primary. Something a political opponent could only dream of, and he's not damage proof like Trump.

He talked about the size of his dick in a presidential debate. FFS beat him you useless POS

Murphy's a mediocre at best candidate. He only looks good because the rest of the FL Democrats are so fucking awful.

parrotful

Neo Member
If you really want to stretch the whole thing, the previous wolves were docile. But Trump is the wolf that eats people, and he is the first actual dangerous wolf.

I mean, I think the metaphor could keep going: the other wolves have been slowly and quietly eating people, and Trump is the one who is willing to openly do it.

kirblar

absolutely not. There is a big difference between the "we want more liberal policies" crowd that backed sanders and the "fuck it, burn it all down" crowd that backed Trump and simply did not care that he had no actual policies and was laughably unqualified for office.
The liberal crowd is/was also angry and wanted to "burn the establishment down". If you think they weren't, I don't know what race you were watching.

edit: However, I think Trump has busted a lot of their bubbles about what the other side actually looks like- the most vocal anti-establishment people on my FB during the primary/post-primary were blue-staters, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

Vs a Mitt Romney Clinton would be in a rough race.

But vs Trump,Clinton has very specific strengths relative to an "up and comer" like '08 Obama that make her very appealing to moderate Rs.

Jeb!, Rubio or Kasich would've been difficult candidates for Clinton. They suck as primary candidates, but competitive in the GE as they can appear to moderates.

But the runner-up in the primaries was Cruz and he's pretty much limited in his ability to reach out to moderates.

So thanks Republican primaries voters, you fucked up Bigly.

kirblar

Jeb!, Rubio or Kasich would've been difficult candidates for Clinton. They suck as primary candidates, but competitive in the GE as they can appear to moderates.

But the runner-up in the primaries was Cruz and he's pretty much limited in his ability to reach out to moderates.

So thanks Republican primaries voters, you fucked up Bigly.
Jeb and Rubio are awful candidates though, they make Hillary look like she has Bill's charisma score.

Kasich would've been scary, but a guy like him isn't viable in the current climate.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Jeb! would've been a very tough GE candidate. Multiple members of my family would've voted for him. None that I know will vote for Trump.

dramatis

Pretty sure the establishment gets off scot free for this one. The Trump phenomenon happened despite everyone in the GOP establishment screaming their heads off that this was a bad idea.

This is 100% on the lunatic fringe here that demanded a political outsider.
No, the lunatic fringe will blame the establishment for not fully backing their candidate. From our perspective, they're the ones who caused the loss, but from their perspective, everyone else is to blame.

HylianTom

Banned
The question becomes how big the Clinton victory is, and how Trump was a gift from Heaven, because Clinton is far from unbeatable.

There are days where I deeply, deeply regret supporting Trump in the primary. He's brought some really ugly elements of our country out into the open. These elements were always there under the surface, but he's emboldened them to show themselves more freely. But there are more days like this, where the greatest good becomes attainable.

He's a gift, alright.

---

There was a mention of Mondale earlier in the thread. His shellacking in '84 was something I was too young to remember, but I do remember how it mentally haunted Dems going forward into the 90s. I still bet that this race will tighten a bit, but at the same time I'd love to see how the GOP handles their own similar '84/88-style shellacking. Color me skeptical that there's a large enough segment of the GOP to force action after a period of introspection.

As far as debate prep, they should get Colbert to do it. He's pretended to be a tea party loon for years, and famously has no qualms with saying and doing things that will make people uncomfortable. He'd be willing to go hard in a mock debate.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: she needs a tag team of Barney Frank, Al Franken, and Joe Biden.

Holmes

Btw, C+9 in FL and C+14 in VA is consistent with a 11-12% lead nationally (FL was R+3 in 2012, VA was D+0 and will probably be D+1 or +2 this year).

No one is saying the race is really over...but it's okay to celebrate a good news day once in a while. It's not going to cause us all to develop temporary amnesia and forget to vote.

When we get into the final week(s), I wonder if Trump's campaign would attempt the last ditch effort of trying to reduce democratic voting by playing up that it's over and you don't need to vote?

Logic would dictate NO, that's fucking stupid.

User1608

Banned
I remember being so much more worried about Romney at this point, and the man is way less morally reprehensible than Trump, which is saying something.

The American white nationalist movement probably will need to nominate someone who is less hostile to women next time if they want a chance at this.

Attacking Muslims or black people or Jews won't lose too many possible Republican votes. Attacking women will lose a lot of possible Republican votes. Just dumb strategy if you want to get elected.

Ehh something tells me that the white nationalist crowd probably isn't too fond of women either.

Bowdz

Lmao at the FL and TX polling and lol at the people freaking out about Rubio. Dude is ONLY up 5+ as an incumbent after running for president (which gets your name recognition up like crazy) to a first time candidate who nobody knows and the attacks haven't even started. If Clinton wins FL by 9, she'll drag Murphy across eleven if Rubio's up 5+. Murphy's got this.

People are confusing confidence with believing this is so in the bag that no one has to vote.

I don't know anyone who's actually expressing the latter belief.

What are we supposed to do, ignore the polls outright and run around like our hair's on fire because Trump is winning?

Voting in elections where your party/candidate is going to lose sucks. I'd rather see Democrats bragging about how they're expanding the map than this constant "OH MY GOD EVERYONE'S GONNA DIE" false narrative. The fact that PA/FL/VA seem to be locked up while Texas and South Carolina could be swing states is awesome and amps me up for a big Clinton victory and you bet your ass I'm still voting.

That seems to happen to Democrats every other year.
Because in 2010/2014 we were constantly being reminded that the Republicans were going to win everything.

pigeon

Banned
That seems to happen to Democrats every other year.

Sure, but not because people are like "dude we're gonna crush this midterm, let's just stay home and do shots." They just don't pay attention in off years.

I don't think we're going to have a problem with Democrats not paying attention.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Just got up. So the poll dump today says:

- Hills winning Florida by +9
- Trump winning Texas by +6
- Rubio winning by +5
- HIlls winning nationally by +16

Did I get all that? And I'm I missing anything?

How the hell did Pence get elected to shit?

Because it's Indiana?

giphy.gif

There was a mention of Mondale earlier in the thread. His shellacking in '84 was something I was too young to remember, but I do remember how it mentally haunted Dems going forward into the 90s. I still bet that this race will tighten a bit, but at the same time I'd love to see how the GOP handles their own similar '84/88-style shellacking. Color me skeptical that there's a large enough segment of the GOP to force action after a period of introspection.

The run of elections from 1972 to 1988 was just unbelievably terrible for Democrats. Two losses of historic proportions and two more landslide losses. The only silver lining was 1976, which Carter barely won in very favorable circumstances. As bad as Dukakis did, it was still by far the second best Democratic performance in those five elections.

I was too young to really know or really care about any of this, and had you asked me I would've called myself a Republican, but I can only imagine how gratifying the 1992 election must've felt.

A more interesting question is not "is it over?" but "what was the time of death?"

I'm torn between that crazy post-RNC presser where Trump went after Cruz or when Khan went ham with that pocket Constitution on the DNC stage.

Runner up: Joe Biden's ethering of Trump at the DNC.

Trump's campaign was fatally wounded when the DNC started. The RNC failed to put his campaign in a viable framing.

A more interesting question is not "is it over?" but "what was the time of death?"

I'm torn between that crazy post-RNC presser where Trump went after Cruz or when Khan went ham with that pocket Constitution on the DNC stage.

Runner up: Joe Biden's ethering of Trump at the DNC.

Trump's campaign was already dead when the DNC started. The RNC failed to put his campaign in a viable framing.

I'd say it died with Trump's RNC speech. His chance to connect with people and expand his base, and it just came off as crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom