• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Watching MSNBC, and so far it seems that the notes only confirm what we already knew: that the three instances of classified information being present in the emails were all sent to Hillary Clinton.

So, basically nothingburger. The information was consequential, they can't confirm that it was considered classified by all involved departments at the time, and they were all in messages sent to Hillary (which would have happened whether or not she was using a private or .gov email account).

Really drives home how partisan that "press conference" Comey gave was. He knew they had nothing, but he wanted to muddy the waters as much as possible. Congress turning on him is exactly what he deserves.

John Harwood ‏@JohnJHarwood 2m2 minutes ago
Senate GOP strategist on Trump campaign: "so far off rails I don't know anyone who could make a case for investing $ in the Presidential"

Some pics from Huma's editorial in Vogue, which Glenn Thrush calls make believe!
huma-abedin-01.jpg

huma-abedin-03.jpg

Retro

He's been "moderated" since the last few months of the primaries to some degree. He's been pushing back for the past month or so though, then his committee sits him down and he does a teleprompter speech or two before going back off of the rails.

Here's hoping he derails so hard he tears up the track as he goes, preventing anyone from following behind him. The GOP trying to pull away from Trump and save the House and Senate has the potential to backfire because it paints him as a loser. The Trump-nado will sweep through and all they can do is try to tie everything down with the bootstraps they're so fond of.

Manafort has got to be dumped.

What I'll never understand is why did they (Manafort) fight to change the party platform? The platform means nothing in the grand scheme of things, all this did was put a spotlight on this

HylianTom

Banned
When Manafort is cut loose, that'll take-up even more media time. Labor Day is sneaking-up on us.

And, I must say.. Anthony Weiner is a damn fool.

I don't think pouring money into senate and house races is going ti do much if abandoning trump means a double digit popular vote loss.

Although it shouldnt be shocking to see the GOP think abandoning their nominee two months out of the election is somehow going to save them.
It's all such uncharted territory, I wonder if anyone really has a strong handle on what the costs and benefits of that reallocation would be.

So they are ratcheting up the conspiracy theories, appealing to the most unhinged of his followers and aren't pushing against the threats of violence. I now miss McCain quite a bit. At least he pushed back a bit from time to time against the crazies. Trump is whipping them into a froth of anger, fear and hate. I'm honestly afraid of what happens after the election.

I was watching CNN yesterday (ugh) and one of the blonde Trump supporters was talking about voter fraud and how the democrats are always utilizing it in inner cities. She brought up the black panthers "terrorizing" voters into voting D. Someone else brought up the poll observers Trump is recruiting and she was just like "that's completely different." Hmmm

Trump supporters aren't going to take a loss here, they're already convinced the election is going to be stolen.

Retro

It'll probably get drowned in all the Trumpster Fire news, but I'm cross posting anyway;

Aetna CEO Threatened Obamacare Pullout If Feds Opposed Humana Merger
Give us our merger or we'll quit Obamacare, the insurer told Justice Department officials in a July letter.

The big health care news this week came from Aetna, which announced on Monday it was dramatically scaling back participation in the Affordable Care Act ― thereby reducing insurer competition and forcing customers scattered across 11 states to find different sources of coverage next year.

Aetna officials said the pullout was necessary because of Obamacare’s problems ― specifically, deep losses the insurer was incurring in the law’s health insurance exchanges.

But the move also was directly related to a Department of Justice decision to block the insurer’s potentially lucrative merger with Humana, according to a letter from Aetna’s CEO obtained by The Huffington Post.

But just last month, in a letter to the Department of Justice, Aetna CEO Mark Bertolini said the two issues were closely linked. In fact, he made a clear threat: If President Barack Obama’s administration refused to allow the merger to proceed, he wrote, Aetna would be in worse financial position and would have to withdraw from most of its Obamacare markets, and quite likely all of them.

Bertolini penned the letter, which The Huffington Post obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request, on July 5 ― 16 days before the Justice Department announced it would fight the Humana deal. The department had asked Aetna how, if at all, a decision on the proposed merger would affect Aetna’s willingness to offer insurance through the exchanges.

(source)

Disgusting.

Emarv

I was watching CNN yesterday (ugh) and one of the blonde Trump supporters was talking about voter fraud and how the democrats are always utilizing it in inner cities. She brought up the black panthers "terrorizing" voters into voting D. Someone else brought up the poll observers Trump is recruiting and she was just like "that's completely different." Hmmm

Trump supporters aren't going to take a loss here, they're already convinced the election is going to be stolen.

It wasn't this blonde Trump supporter, was it? Because she's now his campaign manager after spending yesterday spewing her basic pundit silliness.

hqdefault.jpg

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...executive-stephen-k-bannon-top-campaign-post/

breitbart can't even report its own boss's hire, they have to rely on a times report

Maggie Haberman and Ashley Parker write in the New York Times:

LAS VEGAS — Donald J. Trump has shaken up his presidential campaign for the second time in two months, hiring a top executive from the conservative website Breitbart News and promoting a senior adviser in an effort to right his faltering campaign.

SAD!

Lol, that vogue article also includes how Podesta got Kaine into Florida:
As they head out through the door, Abedin follows close behind. A frenzied roar a moment later announces the candidates’ appearance. Abedin turns to Podesta, who got Kaine to Florida through a series of back doors and minor airports. They hug; then Podesta slips back into the greenroom to watch the video feed.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
A fascinating possible sidestory to this whole Breitbart/Ailes joining Trump thing:

Fox News executives are probably freaking out right now because they see where this is heading. This is obviously laying the groundwork for a new network, and Fox News could lose a sizeable chunk of viewership if Trump voters follow.

I'm very curious to see how they handle this over the next two months.

thefro

Trump guys at work think Trump's intentionally tanking it now.

They think he has some master plan for October. I floated the "Trump News Network" and "I heard he didn't really want to be President, expected to be 2nd or 3rd in the primary" at them and they thought that sounded plausible.

This really may be over.

Trump guys at work think Trump's intentionally tanking it now.

They think he has some master plan for October. I floated the "Trump News Network" and "I heard he didn't really want to be President, expected to be 2nd or 3rd in the primary" at them and they thought that sounded plausible.

This really may be over.

If that's the case, he's doing everything in his power to light the country on fire on his way out.

Xis

A few days ago, someone floated the question: "If you were Donald Trump, and were trying to lose the campaign, what would you do different?"

As of now, I would change that question to - If you were Donald Trump, and were trying to destroy the conservative party for the next decade, what would you do different?

It wasn't this blonde Trump supporter, was it? Because she's now his campaign manager after spending yesterday spewing her basic pundit silliness.

hqdefault.jpg

It could be. Honestly, a couple of them look kinda similar and I can't keep track. She was very energetic. It wouldn't surprise me if she ended up working for him since she was a true believer.

If the Manafort stuff plays out like that, it's bigger than just firing him. It confirms so much: 1. That the Trump campaign was intentionally pro-Russia. 2. That Trump was either in on it or was 'unwitting.' 3. Reflects poorly on his judgement and 4. Confirms once and for all he's an empty suit where policy can be inserted by the person who strokes his ego the best.

I feel like Manafort's story is the biggest thing here. Who cares about a management shakeup when you already hired a legit treasonous criminal as your manager? It just lends more credence to Trump's affection towards Russia and Putin.

royalan

The Clinton campaign needs to pounce on the Manafort/Russia connection, because it severely cuts into Trump's one remaining argument for his candidacy: that he'll be good for the country because he's not a Washington insider.

Yeah, because you're a Kremlin insider.

That needs to be the response every time that Trump attempts to paint himself as an outside. Every time he tries to say that he isn't beholden to any outside interest.

This is a bigger line of attack than the tax returns, imo. Trump's literally a Manchurian candidate.

CNN reporting Trump didn't consult his children on this. Fuuuuu

Jared Kushner is gonna be pissed.

CNN reported 5 minutes earlier that Kuschner came back from vacation early to notify Manafort of the changes. Kuschner has more pull than any of Trumps kids

through a series of back doors and minor airports.

Fun fact: You can sneak anyone/anything through the Valdosta, GA airport and get to almost anywhere in Florida. I'd love to know the exact pathing Dad used to get to FL.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The Clinton campaign needs to pounce on the Manafort/Russia connection, because it severely cuts into Trump's one remaining argument for his candidacy: that he'll be good for the country because he's not a Washington insider.

Yeah, because you're a Kremlin insider.

That needs to be the response every time that Trump attempts to paint himself as an outside. Every time he tries to say that he isn't beholden to any outside interest.

This is a bigger line of attack than the tax returns, imo. Trump's literally a Manchurian candidate.

Surprised we agree on something for once, but yes. Clinton was never going to be able to win the white working class vote in big numbers on the headline issues for the Democrats so far, but this? Clinton can smother herself in patriotism in a non-jingoistic manner and (quite fairly) paint Trump as a cheap Russian suit who'd sell us down the river to Putin. Gives her I think her first real chance at turning this from "strong victory" to "crushing Reaganesque landslide". I mean, maybe not a 49-state sweep or whatever, but this is the sort of stuff that could fly in Texas.

tuffy

Although the Trump campaign's ties to Russia are far more disturbing, his ongoing self-inflicted temperament issues get a lot more immediate traction since they don't require as much explanation.

kess

Manafort can't be happy about this.

Anyway, this campaign has been instructive in exposing the dark beating heart of Ailes, who is even more sinister than we thought he was. An accused sexual predator teaming up with a Breitbart CEO is pretty fucking low, even though we knew what he was capable of at Fox.

With these people running the campaign, at least there will finally be a "tea party"(ish) candidate running. That should give some relief to sane Republicans who thought this election wouldn't say anything. They can still make an excuse at the end that Trump was the wrong vessel for the message, but much less effectively, I think.

royalan

Surprised we agree on something for once, but yes.

I just dropped my phone.

But yeah, this is pretty damn big. I mean, Trump fucks up seemingly every day. But this could be the broad brush Hillary has been looking for because it ties everything up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom