• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

I think we need to dispel this idea that Trump has a "strategy". He's been getting free press because he's doing and saying awful things. When he goes to "normal" mode, the press gets bored. It's actually a disservice to himself. Hillary had a press conference and that was all over the news. Whatever she does on the national stage gets coverage. Trump needs to do outrageous things to get the same coverage.

The only thing I disagree with here is that, until this point, the media got bored with Teleprompter Trump because they knew that Reckless Trump was always right around the corner. But, if Conway can keep Trump on the pivot, the Clinton campaign keeps stupidly leaning into these negative narratives that have been set up against her (seriously, the entire Clinton Foundation thing over the last week was the first time I was thankful Hillary was running against Trump, because a competent Republican could have sunk her with just that), and the polls tighten, Trump will maintain the media's attention. This is true for two reasons: he's primed the media over the last year to cover every breath and fart he lets out; and, as Brian Stelter acknowledged on CNN the other day, the media loves a good comeback story. Almost more than anything else.

Letting Trump control the narrative has always been a dangerous game, because you have to bank on him not being able to help himself.

so today in hillary......clinton initiative promises they wont take foreign money "for real this time", the iran about face on it being a ransom payment will be all over the news, and she still can't explain going on fox and lying about the fbi thing.

ugh.

Obamas rating gon take a hit
He does need to get his lazy golfin' ass down to Louisiana, that's for sure.

CNN still claiming Trump & Pence going to visit. For... what? There is zero possible professional business for them to attend to there. I mean, Trump could be coming to cut a massive donation to the Red Cross or something (lolol) but even that would just be a stunt if he publicized it.

so today in hillary......clinton initiative promises they wont take foreign money "for real this time", the iran about face on it being a ransom payment will be all over the news, and she still can't explain going on fox and lying about the fbi thing.

ugh.
I just don't get why she can't even fake an answer that sounds genuine and honest on the FBI thing.

"Look, I know I did something wrong, but I was so ashamed about it that I kept trying to salvage something out of it by going on technicalities. You know how when you do something wrong to your spouse, you apologize but try to justify it a little bit to make yourself feel better. I was just trying to justify it because I want so badly to work hard for the American people and bring this country together. I know what I did was wrong and I will promise to continue to work hard for the American people and earn your trust back."

Don't talk about lying. Don't talk about the FBI director. Just get this in the past, for fucks sake.

I just don't get why she can't even fake an answer that sounds genuine and honest on the FBI thing.

"Look, I know I did something wrong, but I was so ashamed about it that I kept trying to salvage something out of it by going on technicalities. You know how when you do something wrong to your spouse, you apologize but try to justify it a little bit to make yourself feel better. I was just trying to justify it because I want so badly to work hard for the American people and bring this country together. I know what I did was wrong and I will promise to continue to work hard for the American people and earn your trust back."

Don't talk about lying. Don't talk about the FBI director. Just get this in the past, for fucks sake.

gotta love politics. we've got the one person who could lose to trump running against the one person who could lose to clinton.

royalan

It's really damn ridiculous that Hillary doesn't have a one sentence response for the Email thing yet. There's no excuse for it. She's the one keeping it in the news with these rambling, convoluted-ass responses at this point. And while I won't say she's coasting (because she's not, clearly), these are the kind of low-bar, easily avoidable mistakes I don't think she'd be making if she were running against anyone but Trump.

It's really damn ridiculous that Hillary doesn't have a one sentence response for the Email thing yet. There's no excuse for it. She's the one keeping it in the news with these rambling, convoluted-ass responses at this point. And while I won't say she's coasting (because she's not, clearly), these are the kind of low-bar, easily avoidable mistakes I don't think she'd be making if she were running against anyone but Trump.

So much for you not freaking out

Wilsongt

I am getting real tired of this GOP shit about asking "Why isn't Obama visiting Louisana?!?!?!?!"

Obama didn't come to SC last year. He never visits places burnt bu fire. If he visited every place with a natural disaster he'd never get shit done.

CNN still claiming Trump & Pence going to visit. For... what? There is zero possible professional business for them to attend to there. I mean, Trump could be coming to cut a massive donation to the Red Cross or something (lolol) but even that would just be a stunt if he publicized it.
hes a politician and presidential candidate, of course he's going to visit a disaster site.

jevity

My wife told me about the "regret" statement last night, and I thought to myself, "Well, of course he regrets it, because he keeps losing support for saying the stupid shit he says."

When I read the statement last night, I started to get worried because it seemed like people would take it as an apology (he never apologized). Then I watched it on video just a second ago. He was in no way apologizing with that smug ass grin on his face. He looked like some sort of Little Rascal who steals cookies from the cookie jar, gets caught, and says he regrets doing it.

da5322db40c07c4eafb73508e4a6791d.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wowww this is bad. I love how the voter blinks twice like she's a RIGGED ROBOT IN THE RIGGED SYSTEM!

Wake up sheeple!

It is almost as if Alex Jones had a say in this new campaign direction.

Just going on record as thinking that this "pivot" is nothing, will amount to zero affect, and we will have a crazy Trump story within a couple of days.

There is no campaign pivot, there is just a quiet day.

I am getting real tired of this GOP shit about asking "Why isn't Obama visiting Louisana?!?!?!?!"

Obama didn't come to SC last year. He never visits places burnt bu fire. If he visited every place with a natural disaster he'd never get shit done.
This is really, seriously, super exceptional flooding, though. Even moreso.

The memories of "the President is on vacation and what are these awful images I see of flooding in Louisiana?" is a sour matter for millions, being a rather epic fail in W's trajectory.

Something like this alone isn't going to tank him, duh, but it would be particularly symbolic. That the Trump people want to try to leap in is a sign that they'll use Obama vacationing as a talking point in the coming days. Do hope the media beats the crap out of Trump for trying a stunt like that, though.

Retro

The governor of Louisiana told him to wait, there are areas that are still flooding as the water moves south and they're still in search & rescue mode. They have been getting all the government assistance they need.

Showing up pulls first responders from doing their jobs to handle security for his visit. Going down there, standing on some rubble and making a little "get well soon" speech is (George W.) Bush League.

Diablos

It is almost as if Alex Jones had a say in this new campaign direction.
Lol you read my mind. I was about to say they should have had Alex Jones calling Obama and Clinton WICKED WICKED DEVILS at the end but I thought maybe that wouldn't make sense

HylianTom

Banned
Katy Tur (love her!) just linked this article..

John Kasich: ‘I’ve said all I need to say about Trump’
http://m.daytondailynews.com/news/n...ive-said-all-i-need-to-say-about-trump/nsHy7/

Ohio Gov. John Kasich said Thursday he’s done talking about his party’s presidential candidate, Republican Donald Trump, who Kasich has refused to endorse.

“I’ve said all I need to say about Trump. My actions speak louder than my words,” said Kasich, appearing with U.S. Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio, at Portman’s Washington Twp. campaign headquarters.

Delicious. Stay strong, Governor!

Wilsongt

The memories of "the President is on vacation and what are these awful images I see of flooding in Louisiana?" is a sour matter for millions, being a rather epic fail in W's trajectory.

Something like this alone isn't going to tank him, duh, but it would be particularly symbolic. That the Trump people want to try to leap in is a sign that they'll use Obama vacationing as a talking point in the coming days. Do hope the media beats the crap out of Trump for trying a stunt like that, though.

Regardless of when it gets there, which you know he will be going, it's political garbage to try and attack him for it.

Whether Trump had a good day yesterday and whether Clinton had a bad day yesterday, or whether anything significant happens today...

Ryan Lochte is soaking up all the headlines. Remember everyone, he's *our* idiot. Our beautiful chiseled green haired man boy illiterate lying idiot.

benjipwns

Banned
http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-bl...oreign-policy-worsened-eastern-european-chaos
When most Americans think about Barack Obama’s foreign policy, the terms Benghazi, Arab Spring, ISIS, Cuba rapprochement and the Russian Re-set Button quickly come to mind.

Yet those aren’t his only embarrassing failures.

Obama’s global influence, or lack thereof, also led to a spike in chaos and corruption throughout Eastern Europe, harming American interests. I’ve personally seen this on recent think tank trips, speaking and touring for a collective three months in 12 European countries to include 7 former Soviet Republics and several satellite states.
I only hope President Trump doesn't go on an apology tour like this disaster.

Because Louisiana governor JBE told him that his resources are stretched thin to accomodate a presidential visit.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/08/john_bel_edwards_now_is_not_th.html

Wilsongt

Fox News
Fox News – Verified account ‏@FoxNews

"[President Obama] doesn't feel our pain ... Let him go off into the sunset on his golf cart." -@JudgeJeanine

*flails*

benjipwns

Banned
I love her. Great human being.

It'd be cool if she ran for office in the future, but it sounds like she's burnt out right now. I'm sure she'll do more good things regardless.
She also quite dislikes politics despite the obvious skill for it. Three of our last four first ladies were the same way.

It's the one without the skill who can't get away from it.

Don't like Kasich for his PP stuff/etc, but at least he has a spine and some shred of decency. He'll never be pres, but he's going to get reelected
To his old House seat? Or in 2022?

benjipwns

Banned
wait what? Kasich isn't on the ballot this year? I don't follow local elections much (yeah im that guy) and I just figured he was up for reelection
Ohio elects governors in mid-term years. He first won in 2010, was re-elected in 2014.

Ohio doesn't have a hard term limit though, just no more than two consecutive terms. So he can come back in 2022 (and theoretically get re-elected in 2026 but then have to wait for 2034) after his failed 2020 Presidential bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom