• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisco

Banned
I really don't understand what people want Obama to do in LA. Presidential security is hard enough when you have functioning transportation infrastructure. What to they want, Obama to go around the flood zone in an airboat? Literally the only thing he could do is zoom over in Marine 1, which is exactly what they excoriated Bush for during Katrina.

New poll:

Poll: Clinton Leads Trump By 10 Points

A new national poll released Friday shows Hillary Clinton leading Donald Trump by ten points nationally.

Clinton is ahead of Trump 50 percent to 40 percent in a head-to-head match-up, according to a poll commissioned by End Citizens United, a liberal-leaning public interest group working to rid large money from politics.

In a four-way race with Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson and Green Party candidate Jill Stein, Clinton's lead is reduced to 8 points. Clinton receives 45 percent to Trump's 37 percent. Johnson polls at eight percent and Stein at 4 percent.

As concerns grow about Trump's drag on Republicans running down ballot, this poll shows there's reason for concern. Democrats lead Republicans when asked which party they' d vote for in a Congressional race by seven points: 48 - 41 percent.

Trump is losing in the poll despite additional questions revealing that voters are concerned about the role of money in politics. While he is now accepting money from large donors, he has been the candidate who has criticized large campaign contributions as a corrupting influence in politics. Clinton has made fixing Citizens United one of her policy planks.

The poll, conducted by Normington Petts, found that 66 percent of respondents agreed that money spent by corporations in political campaigns plays a role in issues that impact their family.

And 73 percent of respondents had a negative opinion of the Supreme Court's Citizens United ruling that allowed corporations and unions to give unlimited amounts of money to political groups.

Finally, 89 percent of voters said they are concerned that foreign governments or foreigners have an impact on campaigns.

benjipwns

Banned
Never heard if that polster
They list Hillary Clinton's campaign as one of their current clients:
Current Candidates
Hillary Clinton (U.S. President)

Tammy Duckworth (U.S. Senate IL)
Jason Kander (U.S. Senate MO)
Joe Sestak (U.S. Senate PA)

Tina Podlodowski (WA Sec State)
Brandon Riker (VT Lt. Governor)
Joe Torsella (PA Treasurer)

Emily Cain (ME-02)
Gretchen Driskell (MI-07)
Lisa Blunt Rochester (DE-AL)
Brad Schneider (IL-10)

Angelique Ashby (Sacramento Mayor)
Mitchell Englander (LA County Supervisor)

So probably Johnson +15 is the real number.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Do national polls even matter at this point?

HylianTom

Banned
Hartman-Sassy.gif

Trump Leads Clinton by 6

A new USDW telephone and online survey finds Republican nominee Donald Trump expanding his lead to six point with forty-four percent (44%) support to Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton’s thirty-eight (38%).

Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson pulled in seven percent (7%), with five percent (5%) backing Green Party candidate Jill Stein.

Another six percent (6%) remain undecided.

The Survey, conducted August 13-17, was a sample of 1,405 likely voters, of which 475 were Democrats (34%), 462 were Republicans (33%), and 468 were Independent or Other (33%).

REAL DEAL FOLKS

Yes, we're a few weeks post convention so these polls definitely matter

Well I think he means isn't state polling more important, and it is.

But the national polling average gets more accurate as we get closer to the election and a democrat isn't going to lose the election leading the popular vote by more than 3%.

I really don't understand what people want Obama to do in LA. Presidential security is hard enough when you have functioning transportation infrastructure. What to they want, Obama to go around the flood zone in an airboat? Literally the only thing he could do is zoom over in Marine 1, which is exactly what they excoriated Bush for during Katrina.
Probably at minimum talk about It

thebloo

Also I really fail to see the difference between leverage and payment.

Sad to say there is some merit to this dtory.

As someone that called the story a bad one last night, there is a difference. Payment is something that can be repeated, while using leverage in this situation is actually a good "deal". They were giving the money anyway, so they got the hostages for "free".

However, notice how much I had to avoid using "real" words with meaning and that I was basically going into Hillary-email-talk territory. So, while what they did was correct, the image projected is not a good one. Also, it took ~8 months for the full details.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
As someone that called the story a bad one last night, there is a difference. Payment is something that can be repeated, while using leverage in this situation is actually a good "deal". They were giving the money anyway, so they got the hostages for "free".

However, notice how much I had to avoid using "real" words with meaning and that I was basically going into Hillary-email-talk territory. So, while what they did was correct, the image projected is not a good one. Also, it took ~8 months for the full details.

Here's the thing about that, and I'm sure it won't go away etc etc. But we didn't pay a ransom to a foreign country. If anything, we were the ones holding something to ransom. "You can have your money back only if you meet our conditions."

Is basically how it went down. But obviously people are going to go hard after Obama on this, because... well that's what people do.

Yeah the fact that they kept it hush hush for so long makes it a lot worse. The way its going to be spread is that Obama was forced to pay to get the hostages back when it was nothing like that at all. Obama should have gotten out ahead of it a few weeks ago and just said yeah we weren't going to give Iran the money we owed them until we got our people back.

Gruco

Banned
Now that Trump has successfully pivoted, it seems like he has the election in the bag. Keep in mind the following:

1) Wikileaks is planning to indict Hillary, sending her to wikiprison.
2) When you unskew the polls to include more Republicans and factor in facebook likes, Trump is only behind by about 3-4 points.
3) Liberals do not understand the powerful connection Trump has with the working class. Keep in mind that white, male voters with less than a college degree are by their nature the most valuable and important voters.
4) Trump is teflon, he can say whatever he wants and nothing will hurt him. His poll numbers just keep going up.
5) There is a long history of republican candidates etch-a-sketching their way past the primaries and putting on a moderate front for the general. The last person to successfully use this strategy was, famously, President Romney.
6) Successful business billionaire Donald Trump has unlimited personal resources to spend on the campaign.
7) Famed election analyst Michael Moore has already predicted a Trump victory.
8) All of the analysts said Trump couldn't win the primaries, but he did! Now people say he can't win the general?
9) Remember that time the nowcast had Trump winning?
10) Hillary is just too shrill and unlikable. She is a bad candidate, as evidenced by the fact that Only Bernie Can Win.

Bottom line, either the pivot is real and Trump wins the election easily, or the pivot is not real and the GOP replaces him with a master class moderate politician like Marco Rubio, who wins the election easily with his 3-2-1 strategy.

It's over.

CqOWD4OXYAE4mVc.jpg:large

Comparing the ad buys between Hillary and Donald. How in the hell is he not advertising in the Cleveland market. This is stupid. You advertise there. The Cleveland market goes pretty far south in North East Ohio into red counties, such as Ashland and Richland. He should be on the air there!

Emarv

why are you guys assuming Manafort is going "fuck this" when more and more shit is connecting him to Russia.

This is damage control
Idk, the real answer is probably more that he's not in charge anymore and doesn't want to just sit around in an office while Bannon runs the show and ignores him and the media pound him over Ukraine. Nobody wants to be a zombie campaign leader.

The positive spin is that I don't think Manafort is a true Trump believer like Corey was/is. I can see Manafort leaking stuff or talking to the press someday.

Bowdz

Lmao, why the fuck didn't Manafort leave when Banning and Conway came on? This will eat into Trump's positive coverage from last night and possibly today going to LA. Fucking amateur hour.

Gruco

Banned
The real question is, can Trump's campaign survive with only a CEO and manager, but no chairman?

Who will fill the chairman position?????

(someone call CNN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom