• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazzy

So I've always found Maureen Dowd's NYTimes columns to be quite entertaining to read.

A quick Google search revealed that she won the Pulitzer for her series of opinions columns on Bill Clinton's sex scandal back in the day.

All of them are published in full at her page on the Pulitzer website: http://www.pulitzer.org/winners/maureen-dowd

I've just read through the first few and they're really something...

I invite you all to have a look too, if you were too young to remember much of that time period, like me.

Lewandowski/his firm being on the payroll is a nothingburger.

I mean, it's a money trail showing that he's still getting strategic advice from such a shit source. Something we knew.

But Queen Donna is also a CNN commentator. And she's the acting DNC chair.

So I've always found Maureen Dowd's NYTimes columns to be quite entertaining to read.

A quick Google search revealed that she won the Pulitzer for her series of opinions columns on Bill Clinton's sex scandal back in the day.
And then at some point she went crazy with Clinton Derangement Syndrome.

I don't know if the Colorado Race can be called competitive. Last four polls from early July to mid August have had 13-16+ lead for Bennet (Dem incumbent)

Colorado may not be close, sure. However, these are all still swing states. Most of these are large(r) states, where Hillary running a few points ahead of Obama could flip House seats in marginal districts. North Carolina has a competitive Senate and Governors race. While most of the lifting is done by the campaign, the fact that the party is making fucking nothing should be terrifying.

You've got a candidate who isn't spending money on organization. You've got a national party that's $20 million under fundraising goals from 2012. You've got Senate races in these states (competitive or not). If the candidate can't afford something, it'll be shifted to the national party. Every dollar they have to spend for Trump is a dollar the RNC can't spend elsewhere. I'd think the local parties would pick up some of the slack...but not at those funding levels.

I think this shows the danger of being an outsider, something Bernie would have run into at some point had we all gone to sleep and woken up in a different timeline. Those local, on the ground party connections are integral to things like GOTV. You can't build that shit at the national level in a few months. You want your people on the ground to have some of the tools they need.

I'm pretty sure that 95% of oppo research is Googling "[candidate name] [issue that could be related with campaign or with personal life]"

And the media has done that pretty thoroughly with Trump.

@blakehounshell
Unless I’m missing something, no spending on polling in Trump FEC report.
Why would you do that when so many other companies do it already for you? Duh! Specific states and everything! And all those internet polls look so good for us anyway and those are all automated!

...Meanwhile, his new campaign chair is a pollster, in a campaign that doesn't do polling.
That's less than Cards Against Humanity's stunt will donate to Clinton, lol
The thought of "that" wing of the GOP losing any final relevance makes me happy. Not that there's an organized force to take over, mind you.

benjipwns

Banned
Hey adam, you should see what The Hill is publishing:
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/292028-how-breitbart-turned-on-ted-cruz
Bannon didn’t respond to multiple requests for comment from The Hill, but a spokeswoman for the conservative news sight downplayed any work Breitbart’s reporters did on the tithing story.

Unrelated to that, also from the story:
Bannon made clear to Breitbart staffers that he wanted to destroy Ryan's political career and what he called his “globalist” agenda.
“Steve has always been basically an anti-trade guy,” said a second source who worked closely with Bannon at the time. “That’s one of the fissures with the Trump and Cruz support.

“When push comes to shove, Cruz is basically a free-trade guy, and part of the reason why he saw Cruz as the weaker second option, and why he was willing to go after Cruz, was because he didn’t trust that Cruz would hold the line on trade.”
And by January 2016, when Cruz stopped praising Trump and started attacking him as a liberal, Bannon became increasingly enraged and instructed his reporters to hammer Cruz.

Nails. On. A. Fucking. Chalkboard.

Well, who else has time to watch it all day? Anyone younger than that is working.

Those are primetime numbers, if that makes a difference. I'm sure the daily ones are even worse. My mom puts on MSNBC in the morning. Detours for an episode or two of Diagnosis Murder or (more worryingly) Snapped, then goes back to MSNBC until local news starts at 4. lol

sazzy

http://www.scotsman.com/news/trump-...ce-us-inquiry-over-suspect-finances-1-4208359

Trump’s Scottish golf resorts face US inquiry over ‘suspect’ finances

The American Democracy Legal Fund (ADLF) has highlighted “significant and widespread discrepancies” in the reported income of the Republican presidential candidate’s resorts at Trump Turnberry in South Ayrshire and Trump International Golf Links in Aberdeenshire.

The organisation has now written to Raymond Hulser, chief of the public integrity section at the Department of Justice, as well as Walter Shaub, director of the US Office of Government Ethics, calling for an inquiry.

As reported by The Scotsman in January, there is a gulf between the figures reported by Trump to the Federal Election Commission (FEC) – an independent regulatory agency which oversees the financing of elections – and those reported to Companies House in the UK.

That USC thing is a fucking dumpster fire.

If your tracking "poll" (because this isn't a poll) shows 4.5% points of movement in a single day...you got issues. In a week, Trump has gone from 23% of the Latino vote to 36.5%. That's while somehow tripling his numbers with African Americans.

If your tracking "poll" (because this isn't a poll) shows 4.5% points of movement in a single day...you got issues. In a week, Trump has gone from 23% of the Latino vote to 36.5%. That's while somehow tripling his numbers with African Americans.

And yet, it's probably the most referenced and paid attention to poll on earth right now. It pays to be the outlier.

mo60

Yep. Trump would be lucky to even been polling above 20% with latino's right now because a lot of latino pollsters from what I have seen in the last few months show him mostly polling in the teens with hispanics. Most polls also show trump polling below 5% with African Americans right now.

mo60

Pretty good rundown of what the crowd was like at Trump's most recent rally:

https://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/trump-rally-tweets-jared-yates-sexton/

Basically, they've gotten worse according to the reporter.

Some of the stuff that Jared Yets Sexton tweeted when he went to that trump rally is really scary. I am really scared of what trump supporters will do when trump loses this election by a big margin, Also it looks like trump is still not being himself at the rallies according to some of Jared's recent tweets.He's acting more like a puppet of Breitbart according to Jared.

Also did anyone see this from trump's recent rally in Virigina yet. Trump says something really generic when he mentions african american voters at the rally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdbEjI1ApCA

Well, who else has time to watch it all day? Anyone younger than that is working.

Nails. On. A. Fucking. Chalkboard.

Those are primetime numbers, if that makes a difference. I'm sure the daily ones are even worse. My mom puts on MSNBC in the morning. Detours for an episode or two of Diagnosis Murder or (more worryingly) Snapped, then goes back to MSNBC until local news starts at 4. lol

Median age for ABC/NBC/CBS/PBS evening news is 53.

Evening News coverage is very important. If I remember correctly, Obama did a lot of local TV news and evening news interviews instead of CNN/MSNBC/Fox in 2012.

The place the cable news media coverage becomes important is that anything that blows up there then gets coverage via youtube and other channels. Those who don't watch news also hear about the news from people who watch the news.

Cable news coverage also tends to have a leg up on what gets covered on online news sites.

Hence I do want Clinton to break through on the cable media front too.

HylianTom

Banned
So he's a flip flopper.
I prefer the term "bullshit artist," but yep.. he's all over the place.

93109-oh-a-bullshit-artist-gif-Mel-B-jHOp.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl4VD8uvgec
(Anyone who's been on unemployment benefits will appreciate this..)

At this point it's impossible to deny Trump's campaign is largely a financial scheme to pay his companies and cronies with campaign money. I'm amazed there isn't more outcry over this, but perhaps it'll begin on Monday. That FEC report is criminal. 8.4m spent in one month on "digital advertising" from a local San Antonio firm. With that amount he could have paid a major NYC or Chicago firm. AKQA, Wunderman, Spark...any major firm. Yet he's paying top dollar to a firm whose only recent work seems to be building websites for Trump's son and winery.

The report also once again shows massive payments to various Trump businesses while virtually nothing is spent on ground game. Meanwhile Clinton has spent significantly on tv, digital, advertising, offices, etc. Where is Trump's money going, besides into the pockets of his personal businesses and friends?

Gotta pay for all that AMERICAN PRIDE.

Edit: He spent another $4M on Giles-Parscale in the 5 months prior to July.

In total the $12.4M he's splurged on them has been 19% of his spending in the last 6 months.
I wonder how much they'll get in August!

benjipwns

Banned
The report also once again shows massive payments to various Trump businesses while virtually nothing is spent on ground game. Meanwhile Clinton has spent significantly on tv, digital, advertising, offices, etc. Where is Trump's money going, besides into the pockets of his personal businesses and friends?
And yet according to the most expert and accurate pollsters as proven by scientific studies at USC, he's tied with Hillary despite spending so much less.

Maybe Trump, being a student of success and business efficiency, has spent considerable time studying the late Robert J. Healey's 2014 run for Governor of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations.

mo60

I wonder if a less racist, offensive and etc version of trump will appear eventually in this election if Trump starts to flip flop on his main policy issues.

benjipwns

Banned
BREAKING:
It Begins… Seizure Drug Makers Are Targeting Hillary Clinton Articles

Although this was ignored by the liberal media Hillary Clinton appeared to have suffered a seizure after her DNC Convention speech in Philadelphia–
hillary-gif-seizure.gif

It was not the first time Hillary displayed seizure-like symptoms.

With all of the reports and articles on Hillary Clinton’s declining health Briviact seizure treatment drug ads are popping up on Hillary Clinton online articles.

Briviact is used with other medicines to treat partial-onset seizures in people 16 years of age and older with epilepsy.

Briviact is targeting Hillary Clinton online articles.

hillary-briviact-ad.jpg

REAL MEDICAL SCIENCE

ALSO I LOOKED UP HER SYMPTOMS ON WEBMD AND IT MIGHT BE CANCER OR LUPUS

Correct me if I'm wrong but what this means is that if Hillary were running in 2012 against Trump, she'd be losing right now?

In the poll? Impossible to say, the issues with the 2016 poll seem limited to 2016.

I don't agree with the assessment that any movement in this poll constitutes movement in the race overall. 5 days ago the poll moved heavily in Clinton's direction but it was not registered in any other poll. Back when this poll was showing a dead heat, polls were coming out with Clinton up by 8+ left and right.
I agree, although Rothschild was careful to say it *may* indicate a shift in support, although I think how they selecting their panel is the big problem.

A bigger problem is why it's the go-to poll all of a sudden.

P.S.: Romeny raised over $100 million in July 2012. Those numbers are pathetic.

gcubed

In the poll? Impossible to say, the issues with the 2016 poll seem limited to 2016.

I agree, although Rothschild was careful to say it *may* indicate a shift in support, although I think how they selecting their panel is the big problem.

A bigger problem is why it's the go-to poll all of a sudden.

P.S.: Romeny raised over $100 million in July 2012. Those numbers are pathetic.

You're confused why a horse race poll is the go to one recently?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Trump deciding to embrace "amnesty" after bashing Obama for the same exact thing for months would just look fucking ridiculous to his supporters.

To his supporters? Nah, they'll just ignore it like everything else he said in the past. They won't care in the least.

Iolo

At this point it's impossible to deny Trump's campaign is largely a financial scheme to pay his companies and cronies with campaign money. I'm amazed there isn't more outcry over this, but perhaps it'll begin on Monday. That FEC report is criminal. 8.4m spent in one month on "digital advertising" from a local San Antonio firm. With that amount he could have paid a major NYC or Chicago firm. AKQA, Wunderman, Spark...any major firm. Yet he's paying top dollar to a firm whose only recent work seems to be building websites for Trump's son and winery.

Giles-Parscale is heading their digital online fundraising. So he paid half of what he raised to the firm that helped him raise that money.

Shades of Ben Carson's direct mailing scheme where most of his income went to the firm to send more direct mailing appeals.

@jmartNYT 15m15 minutes ago
Asked by @DanaBashCNN if Trump still supports a deportation force for illegal imms,new Trump manager @KellyannePolls sez: "to be determined"

Pivot going full speed

Looks like Trump camp has basically realized that his 40% share is firm. No need to say things that appeal to them.

Come on Clinton campaign, go on the offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom