• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iolo

@jmartNYT 15m15 minutes ago
Asked by @DanaBashCNN if Trump still supports a deportation force for illegal imms,new Trump manager @KellyannePolls sez: "to be determined"

Pivot going full speed

Looks like Trump camp has basically realized that his 40% share is firm. No need to say things that appeal to them.

Come on Clinton campaign, go on the offensive.

This means she's trying to figure out how to clean up this mess without offending Trump and getting fired

gcubed

@jmartNYT 15m15 minutes ago
Asked by @DanaBashCNN if Trump still supports a deportation force for illegal imms,new Trump manager @KellyannePolls sez: "to be determined"

Pivot going full speed

Looks like Trump camp has basically realized that his 40% share is firm. No need to say things that appeal to them.

Come on Clinton campaign, go on the offensive.
You're bad and you should feel bad

I don't even know what's happening anymore.

All I know is that within a week this entire pivot will be meaningless because it will be bogged down in previous contradictions, current contradictions, surrogates contradicting their campaigns talking points and Trump probably saying something stupid.

Owzers

Trump team waiting for Trump to make the announcement, or Trump team wants that Univision meeting to be vague just like Trump's New York Times meeting when he allegedly said he wasn't going to build the wall and Cruz made a big deal about him releasing the tapes of the interview.

On Fox News Sunday Guiliani brought up Hillary's health issues, the talking head said the clinton camp denies any of those rumors, Guiliani says for people to google Hillary's health on the internet and watch the videos.

I'm a firm believer that the truth should always be found through google searches.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
cartoon_soldier is right: Whatever Trump says, his followers will agree with. Period. Their irrational hatred of Hillary will make them vote for him no matter what.

Hillary needs to start attacking Trump. Paint him as a flipflopper, just like the GOP did to Kerry. Bombard the airwaves with how untrustworthy he is. Don't let this pivot actually get any ground with independent voters. There's still way too much time for the campaign to turn this around.

sazzy

while on the subject of immigration....

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/2...children-must-serve-as-their-own-lawyers.html

It’s Children Against Federal Lawyers in Immigration Court

Every week in immigration courts around the country, thousands of children act as their own lawyers, pleading for asylum or other type of relief in a legal system they do not understand.

Suspected killers, kidnappers and others facing federal felony charges, no matter their ages, are entitled to court-appointed lawyers if they cannot afford them. But children accused of violating immigration laws, a civil offense, do not have the same right. In immigration court, people face charges from the government, but the government has no obligation to provide lawyers for poor children and adults, as it does in criminal cases, legal experts say.

Having a lawyer makes a difference. Between October 2004 and June of this year, more than half the children who did not have lawyers were deported. Only one in 10 children who had legal representation were sent back, according to federal data compiled by the Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse, a research group connected to Syracuse University.

I don't even know what's happening anymore.

All I know is that within a week this entire pivot will be meaningless because it will be bogged down in previous contradictions, current contradictions, surrogates contradicting their campaigns talking points and Trump probably saying something stupid.

I said this yesterday, but the debates are going to be next real chapter of this story. These events aren't even really making headlines.

Iolo

Oh my god, I just read the article on Trump's meeting with Trump's Hispanic Advisory Council.

Three of the Hispanics who are part of Trump's Hispanic Advisory Council spoke with NBC Latino after the meeting. Each spoke of an "open-minded" Trump who asked for their ideas on how to address the estimated 11 million people in the country without legal status.

Trump is to hold a news conference and rally in Colorado next Thursday and they said they expect details will come then.

"I think on Thursday we are going to have a plan that every Latino Democratic or Republican can be proud of as a very realistic, compassionate way of solving the problem," said Jacob Monty, an immigration attorney from Houston who also chairs the Latino-Jewis Alliance.

There was some discussion after the meeting that Trump was going to back a legalization plan for the 11 million undocumented, but none of those interviewed would verify that.

Jesus Marquez, a Nevada political analyst and Latino outreach strategist, said Trump has asked the group to put something on paper.

"He definitely was seeking input from this group of Latinos in terms of immigration reform. He is expecting for us to lay out points of a future plan for immigration," Marquez said.

Fuentes said Trump brought up the issue of the 11 million undocumented in the country.

"We told him what we thought and he was very receptive. He agreed it is an important issue that needs to be dealt with and he is going to be reviewing some ideas we gave him."

This is literally Trump telling people what they want to hear and making them think he is listening. Over and over and over and over he has done this. "We're going to be looking at that", he says.

This is not a pivot, it is a con.

It is so transparent.

Trump team waiting for Trump to make the announcement, or Trump team wants that Univision meeting to be vague just like Trump's New York Times meeting when he allegedly said he wasn't going to build the wall and Cruz made a big deal about him releasing the tapes of the interview.

On Fox News Sunday Guiliani brought up Hillary's health issues, the talking head said the clinton camp denies any of those rumors, Guiliani says for people to google Hillary's health on the internet and watch the videos.

I'm a firm believer that the truth should always be found through google searches.

Correct answer by talking head: "Rudy, I can find internet videos that say that you were involved in perpetuating 9/11. Come on."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Going for the Diablosing Silver and Bronze medals on the final day of the Olympics, are we?

Wanting Hillary to ramp up attacks is not anywhere close to "Diablosing." Nowhere did I say I thought voters would flock to Trump and he'd win.

Diablos

If Trump actually stands to gain anything from this pivot I will be in a state of disbelief. There's no way he can get away with it after everything he has said and done.

Clinton +6 in Ohio, Tied in Iowa (40-40)

CBS-Aug-OH-IA-10209480-01.png

https://today.yougov.com/news/2016/08/21/cbs-battleground-tracker-ohio-iowa/

Bowdz

cartoon_soldier is right: Whatever Trump says, his followers will agree with. Period. Their irrational hatred of Hillary will make them vote for him no matter what.

Hillary needs to start attacking Trump. Paint him as a flipflopper, just like the GOP did to Kerry. Bombard the airwaves with how untrustworthy he is. Don't let this pivot actually get any ground with independent voters. There's still way too much time for the campaign to turn this around.

Agreed.

Trump can only gain from moving to the center if the Clinton campaign fails to paint him as an untrustworthy flip flopper first (which should be exceedingly easy at this point). I agree with Benji that this presents an opportunity to sow some dissent among Trump's base supporters depending on how far away from his original immigration plan Trump pivots on Tuesday.

Didn't his NC pivot 5.0 speech specifically talk about crime from illegal immigration? C'mon now. This is long form Chewbacca defense. Trump is for everything and against it, at the same damn time.

Zereta

If Drumpf actually stands to gain anything from this pivot I will be in a state of disbelief. There's no way he can get away with it after everything he has said and done.

I think its gonna work to some extent. Enough to sway some people. Enough to win? Time will tell

Saw this video of Stein talking foreign policy and I agreed with her: https://www.facebook.com/LetTheMadnessBegin/videos/1729052430692562/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

1) She just recognized ISIS as a state
2) 500,000+ civilians have died in Iraq. The million figure is from a single study that has been heavily criticized in peer review and largely dismissed. Also the US didn't kill 500k+ civilians, she's being disingenuous with that statement.
3) The major mass migration crisis has happened due to a complete lack of intervention during a civil war that was not caused by US intervention.
4) Terrorist threats are not getting "worse and worse", they may be happening in greater numbers due to the change in philosophy and tactics, but the large, grand plans of 9/11 and 7/7 are behind us due to the complete dismantling of major groups on the higher levels.

And then she goes on about how she can magically set up an arms embargo around the entire middle east, she can stop some Saudis from funding terrorist groups and bla bla bla she's a fucking idiot. Complete isolationism is going to cause the entire situation to get far worse, anyone who thinks that it's a good idea to just dismantle all of our foreign military bases because "omg america is like all imperialism!!11!" is a fucking idiot.

Uhhg, sorry, I just really, really hate Jill Stein.

If Trump actually stands to gain anything from this pivot I will be in a state of disbelief. There's no way he can get away with it after everything he has said and done.
I agree. So much of his rhetoric has been built in. This comes off a bit sad. And unfocused.

shem935

Banned
I think its gonna work to some extent. Enough to sway some people. Enough to win? Time will tell

I would have to see polling on the non trumpian people in the republican party but I can't imagine amnesty is popular with them. This would only confirm trump as a bullshit flip flopper to moderates within the party who didn't want amnesty in the first place and remind them of all the positions trump has had liberal views in the past. I can't imagine it would convince anyone else he is genuine after the months of shit he has talked about immigrants even reading that awful snake immigrant children's rhyme.

kess

I'm assuming that the Muslim ban is still on, though. Republican governors and reps followed the leader on that, I suppose they'll do that here too.

I'm assuming that the Muslim ban is still on, though. Republican governors and reps followed the leader on that, I suppose they'll do that here too.

excuse me, excuse me, it's a shutdown of high risk countries that have produced terrorists, which is actually probably far more strict than just the general muslim ban!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Conway's role from here on out is just to make white people afraid of being called a racist slightly less offended at voting for Trump. That's all she wrote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom