• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gravis/Breitbart did a NC poll with almost no black people in it... And Hillary is still leading, lmao.

http://gravismarketing.com/polling-and-market-research/current-north-carolina-polling-2/

Breitbart's consistent self owning with these polls is fucking amazing.

I think you're being a little harsh here.

They only undersampled African Americans by 13 points. That's an easy mistake to make! It's also 6 points more male than 2012, but we won't let a little thing like that stand in the way.

They also managed a SC poll that had Trump up only by 4.

And Nate includes that obviously insane poll in his model and corrects it to a "tie" because of course.

Like, that poll is not based in reality whatsoever. We also know Breitbart has hired Gravis to do "correct" polls. Nate, brah, come on.

mo60

They only undersampled African Americans by 13 points. That's an easy mistake to make! It's also 6 points more male than 2012, but we won't let a little thing like that stand in the way.

Even a breitbart sponsered poll is showing trump struggling in SC compared to other republican presidential candidates in the past. LMAO.

Joeytj

Banned
Trump surrogates are now claiming that Hillary has CTE.

This is gonna get more amazing, but I'm not sure how.

Yeah, that reeks of desperation, the more they go on that attack. All Hillary has to do is suddenly be alive and sound smart, which she does on a regular basis.

Right now, they are attacking her and her health, hoping (like Adam says) to provoke the campaign into a) launching the same kind of attack against Trump, or b) get her into releasing her medical records or something.

I hope the media does its job and points out, fiercely, just how ridiculous the accusations about her health are.

johnsmith

remember me
God I pray there was a recording of this Trump meeting. If he actually did say he's in favor of any sort of legalization it would kill him with the racist right.

Kangi

Didn't SurveyUSA pull the same thing? Twice?

It's dumb. I have a feeling some Republicans will be flabbergasted and she'll crush in NC.

Joeytj

Banned
And Nate includes that obviously insane poll in his model and corrects it to a "tie" because of course.

Like, that poll is not based in reality whatsoever. We also know Breitbart has hired Gravis to do "correct" polls. Nate, brah, come on.

Do the guys at 538 correct those polls manually or is it the model doing that? I doubt Nate looks at the polls and says "nah, this is the real number". Not excusing the ridiculousness of the poll or making it a tie, but I think it's a bit more complicated than just adjusting it willy nilly.

Unless, he too is now such a pundit that he wants the race to be closer just to get 'dem hits' on his site.

Which is the most likely reason.

Didn't SurveyUSA pull the same thing? Twice?

It's dumb. I have a feeling some Republicans will be flabbergasted and she'll crush in NC.

SurveyUSA only managed to undersample by 5-6 point. Missing it by 13 is just...I mean, the information is publicly available in NC!

Do the guys at 538 correct those polls manually or is it the model doing that? I doubt Nate looks at the polls and says "nah, this is the real number". Not excusing the ridiculousness of the poll or making it a tie, but I think it's a bit more complicated than just adjusting it willy nilly.

Unless, he too is now such a pundit that he wants the race to be closer just to get 'dem hits' on his site.

Which is the most likely reason.

Nate only corrects for the pollster's lean, not demographics. But, like, garbage in, garbage out, you know? I take issue with these Gravis polls being used because Breitbard made it clear they want polls that are favorable to Trump.

Also, come on, 10% AA? Like, how could you release that with a straight face!

@adityasood
Olympic Medals by President:
289 Obama
282 Reagan
270 W.
220 Clinton
211 LBJ
180 HST
162 Ike
119 GHWB
104 Ford
102 Nixon
60 FDR
12 Carter

USA USA USA.

The Olympics really does take the air out of Trump's "America doesn't win anymore" shtick.

Regarding Sam Wang at Princeton Election, I was under the impression that he was always going to potentially change the model once it became clear that this was going to be an uncertain year of polling or something akin to what we've seen in the last few decades. Since polarization hasn't caused any real disruptions, he adjusted the model to something like it has been in previous years. I guess the real news about it is he decided to do it today instead of Labor Day as is the norm.

Where has Hillary and Kaine campaigning the past couple of days. All I ever hear about is Trump.

Clinton is in the hospital dying of something, and Kaine is subbing in for one of the harmonica-playing animatronics at a Virginian Chuck E Cheese.

Iolo

Nate Silver said:
Overall, Trump has gained slightly in our forecasts: He’s up to a 15 percent chance of winning the Electoral College in our polls-only model, up from a low of 11 percent a week ago. And he’s at 25 percent in polls-plus, up from a low of 21 percent. But the evidence is conflicting enough that I don’t think we can rule out a larger swing toward Trump or, alternatively, that his position hasn’t improved at all.

what even is the point of your model Nate

The swing is all based on shitty online polls, mainly the fact that they use that asinine USC thing repeatedly. It's so reactionary. It's stupid. Upshot and PEC have shown no change at all. Well upshot, has moved it a point or two both ways.

There's a new poll out of PA. Trump is ahead by 5.

FUCK!

Except...it was a robo poll. The margin of error is 7.1%. It was done over one night. And, the best part? They refused to weight the responses based on race. The results show that Hillary gets mot of her support from white people, while Trump gets most of his support from "minorities." The only thing they did adjust for was gender...which they said was a benefit to Trump because he's winning women in the state. Oh, and no one under 30 took part in the poll. Period.

OLOLOLOLOL

Their rationale is word salad beautiful.

After the interviews were completed, the sample was balanced based on the 2014 Pennsylvania Census with weighting factors only for gender. This survey excluded the various counteracting variable factors to provide a more representative ground reality without complicating it with the said factors. These variable factors, inter alia consist of: In-State / Out-of-State migration, transients, people without landlines or cell phones, racial demographic representation at the polling booth. Another counter-acting set of variables is turnout: among young people, people who have never voted before, increased/decreased turnouts compared to previous elections. These factors are in a state of continual flux at this dynamic stage of the election process. It is not feasible to accurately include the impact of these factors without introducing unintended distortion in the outcome.

Joeytj

Banned
The swing is all based on shitty online polls, mainly the fact that they use that asinine USC thing repeatedly. It's so reactionary. It's stupid. Upshot and PEC have shown no change at all. Well upshot, has moved it a point or two both ways.

There's a new poll out of PA. Trump is ahead by 5.

FUCK!

Except...it was a robo poll. The margin of error is 7.1%. It was done over one night. And, the best part? They refused to weight the responses based on race. The results show that Hillary gets mot of her support from white people, while Trump gets most of his support from "minorities." The only thing they did adjust for was gender...which they said was a benefit to Trump because he's winning women in the state. Oh, and no one under 30 took part in the poll. Period.

OLOLOLOLOL

Their rationale is word salad beautiful.

How the hell can you even call that a "poll"?

Joeytj

Banned
@adityasood
289 Obama
282 Reagan
270 W.
220 Clinton
211 LBJ
180 HST
162 Ike
119 GHWB
104 Ford
102 Nixon
60 FDR
12 Carter

USA USA USA.

The Olympics really does take the air out of Trump's "America doesn't win anymore" shtick.

You can only really compare presidents who served two full terms (two Olympics). The U.S. boycotted the Moscow Olympics during Carter's term, so, yeah.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
@adityasood
289 Obama
282 Reagan
270 W.
220 Clinton
211 LBJ
180 HST
162 Ike
119 GHWB
104 Ford
102 Nixon
60 FDR
12 Carter

USA USA USA.

I know this is pretty meaningless, but I still wish Ray-gun and Dubya weren't so high. And holy shit @ Carter.

One_Disney_Dollar.jpg

Iolo

This is an interesting discussion on Trump's 1980s style campaign vs Clinton's 2010s style campaign, with regards to data.

Why Donald Trump’s 1980s-style campaign is struggling in 2016

Issenberg: I'll say that I think Trump has a more coherent worldview about campaigns than many politicians, and his tactics actually do a pretty good job of reflecting his strategic assumptions. He considers campaigns to be purely a candidate-driven, mass-media exercise. One could also say, perhaps less charitably, that he sees his candidacy as an extension of the mechanism of becoming a celebrity: It's about using television to get in front of as large an audience as possible to get as many people as you can to like you. Even as his campaign has grown and changed, he has been remarkably disciplined at not spending much time or money on anything that doesn't reflect that approach.

Now I think that dramatically fails to appreciate the extent to which campaigns are not just about changing people's opinions to get them to like you. Now more than ever, thanks to partisan polarization, campaigns are about modifying the behavior of people who already like you — getting the unregistered to register, mobilizing infrequent voters to turn out. That is best done through targeted communications that don't involve the candidate.

We know from dozens if not hundreds of randomized field experiments that the best way to turn a non-voter into a voter is to have a well-trained volunteer from his or her neighborhood conduct a high-quality face-to-face interaction at the doorstep. The Clinton campaign is building the structure to do a lot of that, at scale, before voters they have modeled as most likely to change their behavior as a result. That doesn't fit into Trump's idea of what an election is about. To his credit, though, unlike a lot of candidates, he doesn't go through the motions of halfheartedly opening field offices — or printing up yard signs to fill them with — without understanding how they fit into his broader strategy.

Tankersley: That implies that Trump needs to be wildly successful in his quest to get people to like him, correct? He either needs to get them to like him so much that they will get themselves to the polls at a historically high rate (with essentially no knock-and-drag from the campaign). And/or he needs to get so many people to like him that he can afford massive leakage on Election Day from his lack of an advanced turnout operation?

Issenberg: Right.

Joeytj

Banned
Hopefully Silver upholds some semblance of standards and refuses to use it.

He'll adjust and call it a "tie" XD

He also says that, like in 2012, state polls are better at predicting the final popular vote tally and winner, and that seems to be playing out this year too.

Hillary is outperforming national polls in state polls so far. Silver extrapolates her national performance based also on state polls, and viceversa. Let's see how next week goes, which is also the first week since with no Conventions or Olympics.

Just full on General Election.

Okay, I have a theory on why "Hillary is a sickly old woman who will die soon!" is catching on.

Basically, uncucked Republicans were hoping that Trump supporters would kill Hillary. However, after nothing happened after the "maybe the second amendment people can do something, I don't know," these non-cucks remembered that Trump fans are total losers who can kill people in ambushes but have no chance of executing an assassination.

So they were just really hopeful that Hillary was going to be killed and now they realize that it won't happen.

So now they have to fantasize about another way Hillary will die.

The thing is, Nate is basing his "things have maybe tightened" based on this week's polls.

The polls we've had are:

Morning Consult (online tracking)
USC (not a poll)
IPSOS (online tracking, showing the race exactly where it was before)
CVoter (online, static or she's increased her lead by 1 point if we want to be 100%)
Gravis (showing the same 5 point margin)
Survey Monkey (showing the same margin as before)

The one decent poll is Pew...which by their own admission had sample issues. Plus, it was the first time they did a 4 way race.

I wouldn't predict an increase in indigestion based on these.

AniHawk

@adityasood
289 Obama
282 Reagan
270 W.
220 Clinton
211 LBJ
180 HST
162 Ike
119 GHWB
104 Ford
102 Nixon
60 FDR
12 Carter

USA USA USA.

missing the 286 under teddy.

Okay, I have a theory on why "Hillary is a sickly old woman who will die soon!" is catching on.

Basically, uncucked Republicans were hoping that Trump supporters would kill Hillary. However, after nothing happened after the "maybe the second amendment people can do something, I don't know," these non-cucks remembered that Trump fans are total losers who can kill people in ambushes but have no chance of executing an assassination.

So they were just really hopeful that Hillary was going to be killed and now they realize that it won't happen.

Or a simpler explanation:

Hillary is a woman. Women are weak. Men are virile and strong. She is not a man. Therefore, she's weak and sick.

Never look for a complex answer where sexism will suffice.

Doesn't hold up. The health rumors have been around since she was Secretary and suffered a mild concussion in like 2012 or so.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only thing I can say is that I prefer my candidates for President to be a bit younger. It's a rough ass job. Early 40's is ideal.

Balphon

I know this is pretty meaningless, but I still wish Ray-gun and Dubya weren't so high. And holy shit @ Carter.

US boycotted the summer games in '80 and the winter games awards far fewer medals.

Miracle on Ice was under Carter, though, so he wins automatically.

Joeytj

Banned
Or a simpler explanation:

Hillary is a woman. Women are weak. Men are virile and strong. Therefore, she's weak and sick.

Never look for a complex answer where sexism will suffice.

Yeah, It's definitely more sexism. Mexico's first woman candidate from a major party, Josefina Vazquez, was constantly called weak and bogged by health rumors, although she did actually had several episodes during the campaign where she fainted a bit and even appeared to be too tired to continue a speech. She didn't appear to be ready for a national campaign. She never had problems after that and since the election ended (and she lost), she's been ok.

But compared to her, Hillary looks like Michael Phelps.

But it hasn't a thing that the Trump campaign has pushed until after the "second amendment people" passed.

Sometimes it takes a while for people to catch on to something. I mean, it took Poligaf a while to finally turn against Nate Silver, Anthony Weiner, and Julian Castro (Booker will be next, mark my words!) :p

But in some seriousness, I think it is just the usual lagging. Last year especially people on the Right were talking about Clinton's health. In fact, both Clinton's because Bill was looking too frail or gaunt or whatever.. Sometimes things just take a while to crop up.

Only criticism I have is that giving Trump even a sliver of daylight is hard to understand for Democrats. His flooding photo-op is a small victory for a guy looking for anything to grasp to and it's like every high profile Democrat is on vacation right now letting Trump do his thing. If they're warning against complacency and fighting like you're 10 points behind, then they should be backing it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom