• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Kasich vs Clinton map would probably look something like this:
EJzR5Nx.png
Colorado would be the state to decide it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What should I watch after Stranger Things?

All TV shows should be 8 episodes with 0 filler.

If you have Hulu their adaption of Steven King's Kennedy assassination book is pretty good. I'm also finally making my way through "The Man in the High Castle" and am enjoying it a bit. Not a whole lot, but it's far better put together storywise than I thought it would be.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Until his sexist tendencies got the better of him. The fact is the entire field was flawed this time around, short of Huntsman jumping in.

Perhaps.

No, I'm pointing out that the things that make him attractive to the general public are poison in the GOP primary. The Republicans need to find someone who can appeal to the base and then tack back to the center. So far Romney has done the best job of that.

Except the person you responded to was saying democrats were lucky Kasich wasn't the nominee. That's the reference--not his lack of ability to get through the primary.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Perhaps.

Except the person you responded to was saying democrats were lucky Kasich wasn't the nominee. That's the reference--not his lack of ability to get through the primary.

Well, I mean going off the reporting by female reporters he was incredibly hostile towards them. If he can't handle female reporters without flying off the handle how would he be expected to handle a debate against a female candidate with the pedigree of Clinton? He's always struck me as one of those guys who was good on paper, when you described him to someone, but once under the microscope he just fell apart.

ampere

Sahil Kapur ‏@sahilkapur
Monmouth poll finds that if @JohnKasich were the Republican nominee he'd be leading @HillaryClinton 57% to 33% in Ohio.

nah

Nobody is attacking Kasich, and compared to Trump he looks way better. He's still a pretty regressive guy and that would come out more in a GE campaign

Kasich has got to be the frontrunner for 2020 though, right? I feel like he's the only Republican that wasn't embarrassed or targeted and he's one of the few with some national recognition that didn't bend the knee to Trump. Cruz is dead in the water like Santorum or Huckabee imo and the big names this year (Jeb, Christie, and Rubio) were all embarrassed and I think are done. Ryan will get killed for his Trump stance and might lose his spot as Speaker and I think won't get it. Who else is left? Maybe Sandoval?

The thing about looking at paper is that it doesn't wilt on stage. His actual policies and experience would send the same people running for the hills given even a moment's mainstream scrutiny, and that's without him ginning up rural racists with clearer dogwhistles. Kasich being a viable alternative to anything is fantasyland. Romney without the winning smile, GW Bush without the charm.

The issue with this is that the people that Hillary is winning over are fine with dogwhistles and Romneyesque shit....as long as the person is qualified. In fact, I'm willing to argue that if Trump wasn't seen as dangerous, his racism wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Kasich couldn't make it out of the primary process, But, he's a really, really good bullshit artist. His "I want everyone to get along" thing is something he can wear fairly well,and it comes off moderately well.

He also is smart enough, unlike most of the GOP, to know when to stop. He knows that you can strategically retreat on an issue, only to get your way down the road.

Iolo

Who would win in a race between non-nominee Ohio Governor Kasich and 67%-approval-rating pre-running-for-president Secretary of State Clinton?

Kasich has got to be the frontrunner for 2020 though, right? I feel like he's the only Republican that wasn't embarrassed or targeted and he's one of the few with some national recognition that didn't bend the knee to Trump. Cruz is dead in the water like Santorum or Huckabee imo and the big names this year (Jeb, Christie, and Rubio) were all embarrassed and I think are done. Ryan will get killed for his Trump stance and might lose his spot as Speaker and I think won't get it. Who else is left? Maybe Sandoval?

He has no chance in 2020. He doesn't appeal to Republican primary voters and couldn't even get any support when the only alternatives were Trump and Cruz. Republicans won't lack for new candidates that will be fresher than Kasich, that's the benefit of controlling most of the country's government.

dramatis

Do you think this Republican primary electorate would take Kasich

Kasich came in fourth place in a three man race

2020 will be another unelectable conservative wacko.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Unless this election is a landslide and the base goes through some introspection the front runner with be someone in the Trump mold because that's what the base wants.

nah

Nobody is attacking Kasich, and compared to Trump he looks way better. He's still a pretty regressive guy and that would come out more in a GE campaign

It wouldn't be that lopsided, but if Kasich were on the ticket Hillary wouldn't even be spending in Ohio.

I don't see who else can do it and eventually they have to get tired of losing like Democrats did in 88, right?

Republicans and Democrats nowadays have no friends outside of their political party and have no idea who appeals to people outside their party.

Republicans consistently voted Trump as the most electable candidate and Kasich as the least electable candidate in the polls of "who would have the best shot of winning in November?"

Yea, but 2020 is when redistricting happens. If the Dems win big that year, which they very well could if Hillary does a good job, that'd set the table for the next 20 years.

2020 should be better than 2016 for Hillary. She gets much more popular when she's actually in office, and I think she'll do a good job.

Maybe even better than Obama. Obama wasted a couple of years trying to play nice with the GOP. Hillary won't even bother with that.

Ecotic

Against a generic D or better Kasich would have struggled, but I think practically any Republican other than Trump would have beaten Hillary this time, even Cruz or Bush (but maybe not Carson).

A story that will probably be buried after the election by obituaries on Trump is the hubris of Hillary running in 2016 when she knew her email problems, foundation, and paid speeches would be big problems. She jeopardized the Democratic party's chances and we just got lucky with Trump.

2020 should be better than 2016 for Hillary. She gets much more popular when she's actually in office, and I think she'll do a good job.

Maybe even better than Obama. Obama wasted a couple of years trying to play nice with the GOP. Hillary won't even bother with that.

Obama had 2 years to work with a Congress that could get stuff done, Hillary likely won't even have that. She'll be running for reelection after 4 more years of gridlock and 12 years of Democratic rule. And she won't be facing Trump. It'll be a hell of a lot tougher than this year.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Against a generic D or better Kasich would have struggled, but I think practically any Republican other than Trump would have beaten Hillary this time, even Cruz or Bush (but maybe not Carson).

A story that will probably be buried after the election by obituaries on Trump is the hubris of Hillary running in 2016 when she knew her email problems, foundation, and paid speeches would be big problems. She jeopardized the Democratic party's chances and we just got lucky with Trump.

Yea, no. Literally no one cares about the speeches (outside of Bernie-stans that haven't given up the fight) and no one thinks the Foundation is corrupt outside the conservative bubble.

Bush could have given her a hard time, but everyone else in that primary was 1000% clown shoes.

Slayven

Obama had 2 years to work with a Congress that could get stuff done, Hillary likely won't even have that. She'll be running for reelection after 4 more years of gridlock and 12 years of Democratic rule. And she won't be facing Trump. It'll be a hell of a lot tougher than this year.

I expect the 2020 R candidate clowns to be either worse than Trump

Iolo

yes, we know, Hillary sucks, she'll be an illegitimate president with no mandate, no matter what her margin, no political skills, even the tonsil stone eating ultra-conservative would've beaten her, she's terrible

she's so bad she stepped out of her ground-floor political office window and fell up through the glass ceiling

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Yup. I don't see Hillary gaining any legislative victories whatsoever to run on. The only hope is 1) the economy improves even further 2) she completely obliterates ISIS 3) Republicans run another Trump-like candidate.

This isn't really true. She gets more popular when she's not attacked. Which isn't going to stop.

I'm worried about 2020 and democratic apathy in going for a 4th term in a year where shit matters all up and down the ballot.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
(everyone said what I was going to say, Adam)

The shorter version is that Kasich only looks like a threat in a world after which Trump is the nominee, not before. After Jeb, after Rubio, after Christie, after Ted Cruz and after Rick Freakin Perry.

So he's a decent person, trained in old-school mainstream political savvy, with governor experience from a big battleground state. Yet all of these were true before Trump.

The only reason we're talking about him now is because he held onto the primary to see if he could win Ohio and because Trump is legit fucking scary. In all other contexts there's a reason this guy couldn't beat out two schmucks from Florida and two creepers from Texas. It's because he's a forgettable, boring mess with a terrible record.

Jesus fucking shit, the amount of mass killings over domestic violence in the last few weeks is fucking sickening.

It's just horrible to open up massshootingtracker.org and see "oh, that's another family executed by a domestic abuser"

Farmboy

Those are all trumped-up (pun not intended) nothingburgers, not real scandals. Sure, the media would have probably inflated them further were it not for the Trump circus and we don't know how that would've played out. But to suggest she shoudn't even have considered a run because of them is a bit much.

Right now his high approval rating isn't because of the stuff he did in the first half of his first term. People's political memories aren't that long.

She'll be fine. She's an accomplished leader and popular when actually doing the job. And the GOP has shown no signs of actually getting any better.

This isn't really true. She gets more popular when she's not attacked. Which isn't going to stop.

I'm worried about 2020 and democratic apathy in going for a 4th term in a year where shit matters all up and down the ballot.
Didn't her approval ratings go up after the Benghazi hearings though?

I'm sure they'll be a clown, but they won't be worse than Trump who is the worst candidate in over 50 years. And honestly he might be worse than Goldwater.

Goldwater did stuff and was a senator. Trump is the worst ever. By far.

Didn't her approval ratings go up after the Benghazi hearings though?
Like a tiny bit but still not to her time when the GOP literally didn't give a crap about her.

like maybe to the 40s. Remember the media is going to be cheering on all the investigations too. Good ratings!

Yeah, if I had to guess, I would say Hillary is more likely than not a one-term president. I just hope the Republicans sort their mess out beforehand. (although that might be the only way they win IMO)

(everyone said what I was going to say, Adam)

The shorter version is that Kasich only looks like a threat in a world after which Trump is the nominee, not before. After Jeb, after Rubio, after Christie, after Ted Cruz and after Rick Freakin Perry.

So he's a decent person, trained in old-school mainstream political savvy, with governor experience from a big battleground state. Yet all of these were true before Trump.

The only reason we're talking about him now is because he held onto the primary to see if he could win Ohio and because Trump is legit fucking scary. In all other contexts there's a reason this guy couldn't beat out two schmucks from Florida and two creepers from Texas. It's because he's a forgettable, boring mess with a terrible record.

This is revisionist history. Kasich was talked about as dangerous well before Trump was the nominee.

I know this is asking a lot, but I'd love to see proof that anyone was 'scared' of a psycho like Kasich with a face like Forbes' until Jeb and Rubio imploded. Because ... I don't think there is any evidence.

Not calling you out specifically, but he only sounds reasonable when compared to the most dangerous main party nominee ever. Hillary might get 380 against Trump, but wouldn't fare much worse against Kasich.

Well, "scared" is perhaps a strong word but here's a post of mine from a year ago saying he'd be a formidable opponent. I also thought he'd have trouble making it through the primary, so there's that.

My views are informed by having lived in Ohio. His image of a reasonable moderate is not based in reality (or, to the extent that it is, what people are really seeing is more pragmatism than moderation), but perceptions are powerful. I did not find his actions as governor that much different from Scott Walker's when I lived in Wisconsin, Kasich was much more popular across the political spectrum. People who absolutely can't stand Walker would turn around and praise Kasich for being so much better. On the other hand I was never that concerned about Jeb! or Rubio (though I didn't predict that Jeb would flame out so fast in the primary).

I can't say exactly what would happen if Kasich were the nominee, but I do think it's fair to say that any poll you were to take right now would be overstating his support.

Iolo

Seriously.

Huntsman: former Governor, moderate Republican, causes liberals to quake in fear, not a snowball's chance in hell of being president

Kasich: .... pretty much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom