• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iolo

Like I said yesterday (and was called a conspiracy theorist): The Trump campaign WANTED that to leak.

Now they can play the game of "Say what this group wants to hear directly to them, say what that group wants to hear when I talk to them later." It's obvious by the way they're dancing around the issue. They just want enough misinformation out there to where people aren't sure what the deal is.

I respectfully disagree (in a sense). What you are seeing is surrogates without a coherent message formulated by the top. They don't want misinformation out there, it's simply that Trump is incapable of crafting such a message, since he operates freeform based on his audience. What you have is Trump making offhand comments, as policy, his campaign team trying desperately to interpret these comments in real time in a non damaging way, and then surrogates interpreting those bits and pieces. It's disarray rather than a calculated strategy in my opinion, but people including the media aren't used to dealing with such an undisciplined operation.

Teggy

Nick CorasanitiVerified account
‏@NYTnickc
"Lock her up!" chants start in the crowd.

Giuliani stops them: "No!" Tries to lead crowd in new chant: “Beat her! Beat her! Beat her!”

lololol

Emarv

I didn't hear about it until now. There's a ton of good movies I've been skipping.

I would love to see a Obama-drama biopic though. I've been imagining how it would be played and directed.
The issue I've always struggled with is "What is the major driving drama of Obama and his presidency or rise to the presidency?" I'd argue Obama has deliberately tried to ensure his political life was as drama and scandal free as possible. I could never figure out what would make an Obama biopic interesting.

Now a Clinton biopic. There's a movie.

tbm24

The issue I've always struggled with is "What is the major driving drama of Obama and his presidency or rise to the presidency?" I'd argue Obama has deliberately tried to ensure his political life was as drama and scandal free as possible. I could never figure out what would make an Obama biopic interesting.

I'd much rather a documentary. When it comes to Obama I'd just love to hear him speak on pretty much anything.

not sure if serious. You can't be serious. The most implausible (and inspiring) rise to the presidency in US history, and you can't figure out what would make it interesting?

That aside, an Obama movie charting his presidential career would probably turn out a bit like Alice in wonderland- with the man himself collected and stable in the midst of a madhouse of complete bullshit for 8 years.

Emarv

I'd much rather a documentary. When it comes to Obama I'd just love to hear him speak on pretty much anything.

Agreed. Obama's life works way better as a doc or a book.

The Clinton's life would be great as an HBO series or as an "HBO Afterdark Series" *winks*

I'm continually shocked by my opponent's criminality. Our country has gotten so far behind. So far behind. Her criminality.....

This was a sentence.

And Trump pretending like these are new emails. And he said Colin Powell's name wrong. lol

Emarv

not sure if serious. You can't be serious. The most implausible (and inspiring) rise to the presidency in US history, and you can't figure out what would make it interesting?

That aside, an Obama movie charting his presidential career would probably turn out a bit like Alice in wonderland- with the man himself collected and stable in the midst of a madhouse of complete bullshit for 8 years.

Drama is built on conflict. All of Obama's conflicts have been from external forces. An Obama movie would basically be how a saint navigates an ocean of bullshit. That's decidedly less gripping in terms of drama. You could maybe make a good "Lincoln-esque" film about Obama trying to pass the ACA or something, where his own shortcomings and compromise are front and center, but like I said, I think Obama has structured his presidency around being "scandal free", and for good reason.

But while his 08 campaign is fascinating, I just fail to see the gripping narrative there, dramatically. What's interesting about him personally, internally or even a larger narrative for the audience other than "Wow, what a movement that rose up around this guy".

God the people behind Trump are bored as fuck.

And he basically made the argument that the FBI and Justice Department, along with the State Department, are now totally corrupt and we can't have any faith in them.

Well, Obama being an ambitious and smart black person in an incredibly racist country would be the obvious angle.

Also, if I'm a superpac or the Clinton campaign I'm releasing an ad focused on Trump saying "I will be your voice"

You do a clip of Donald Trump saying "I will be your voice" and then you do clips of all the racist, disgusting shit he's said. End it with "Does Donald Trump speak for you?"

Trump bragging about fundraising. How poor is he right now?

Debirudog

I just picture Obama trying to get shit done in the midst of an obstinate congress (Obama Care, the economy etc) and fighting Romney even despite all the disappointment from the public. And then there's the rivarly turned friendship with Clinton. I think there's a lot of stuff you could do about his presidency.

Granted, I just picture this heavily romanticized but I'll just love a movie making me cheer about such an inspirational figure.

I would love a Hillary biopic though because her life story is just massively interesting given 30 years of republican smear-machine. She was a different kind of first lady, hated very early when first spoke out about not wanting to stay at home baking cookies and making tea.

Joeytj

Banned
Now Trump is attacking Bernie for taking Hillary too far left.

Hahahahaha

What? Really?

This sounds like a strategy to scare away Republicans for Hillary. Which won't work, they're aren't backing Hillary because she's a moderate.

EDIT: He sounds really... desperate and kind of weak. More than usual.

Emarv

Well, Obama being an ambitious and smart black person in an incredibly racist country would be the obvious angle.

I mean, that's basically what the Southside With You trailers seems to be doing. I'm just curious if that ends up being dramatically inert or monotonous. I'm hopeful, though, because there are other ways to structure his rise, but I think it'd require a lot of nuance on the filmmakers part to adequately establish the fascinating subtext of his journey with the less dynamic text of his campaign.

First hint that maybe you didn't write this speech? You say something, smile and nod "That's so true. That's so true."

Calling Hillary a bigot again. Good luck with that, asshole.

I just picture Obama trying to get shit done in the midst of an obstinate congress (Obama Care, the economy etc) and fighting Romney even despite all the disappointment from the public. And then there's the rivarly turned friendship with Clinton. I think there's a lot of stuff you could do about his presidency.

Granted, I just picture this heavily romanticized but I'll just love a movie making me cheer about such an inspirational figure.

I would massively love a Hillary biopic though because her life story is just massively interesting given 30 years of republican smear-machine. She was a different kind of first lady, hated very early when first spoke out about not wanting to stay at home baking cookies and making tea.
not to mention Isis and Arab spring

Emarv

I would love a Hillary biopic though because her life story is just massively interesting given 30 years of republican smear-machine. She was a different kind of first lady, hated very early when first spoke out about not wanting to stay at home baking cookies and making tea.

Yeah, I'd argue of all of the last few presidents, Hillary's life seems the most ripe for really gripping storytelling, a fascinating atypical political figure and a true narrative arc that leads her to both higher and lower places.

shem935

Banned
So to clear this up. The 15,000 emails now being released were previously known about by the FBI and were taken into consideration when considering whether to indict Clinton?

I don't get the "Brazil has corrupt police departments, lots of crime!" takes coming from US sports writers.

You know that the USA has a pretty decent amount of murder compared to most other rich nations and our police are terrible, right?

The casual xenophobia and insistence on defending Lochte is ridiculous.

So to clear this up. The 15,000 emails now being released were previously known about by the FBI and were taken into consideration when considering whether to indict Clinton?

Correct. These were emails that were deleted through normal means, or they were duplicates of other emails. There's nothing new here. They were scheduled to be released for quite a while. Judicial Watch just wants the date to be moved up

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
First hint that maybe you didn't write this speech? You say something, smile and nod "That's so true. That's so true."

Calling Hillary a bigot again. Good luck with that, asshole.

He can't seem to shake that habit. I can immediately tell when he's reading off the prompter because he'll make a side comment in a different tone about what he just said. It's like he's reading it for the first time in front of the crowd.

Akron is 30% African American. Ain't a person of color there.

Dude in the blue shirt keeps yawning. Midwestern Mom in black is bored as fuck lol

Boke1879

Akron is 30% African American. Ain't a person of color there.

Dude in the blue shirt keeps yawning. Midwestern Mom in black is bored as fuck lol

It's funny. His base actually comes out to see that unhinged and crazy Trump. They love it. But you're right. It's clear they are bored. He just sounds like a guy reading.

There's a really good point in all this talk about how illegal immigration affects lower income workers. Illegal immigrants do depress wages in certain jobs and often work for less than minimum wage. This really does impact the earning potential of African Americans and legal immigrants in the lower class. So there is a pretty good reason to work toward a legalization process, because then the floor moves way up, immigrants get all the advantages of being of legal status, and wages go up.

When I say "watch" you know what I'm talking about. When I say "watch" you know what I'm talking about, right? You gotta watch.

Holy shit, why would you say that!?

hawk2025

There's a really good point in all this talk about how illegal immigration affects lower income workers. Illegal immigrants do depress wages in certain jobs and often work for less than minimum wage. This really does impact the earning potential of African Americans and legal immigrants in the lower class. So there is a pretty good reason to work toward a legalization process, because then the floor moves way up, immigrants get all the advantages of being of legal status, and wages go up.

There are almost no legal immigrants in the lower class.

The process costs between 20 and 30 thousand dollars, and the process typically cannot be done from within the US unless you have a company sponsor. Which costs them a good 10 thousand dollars.
The only kind of legal immigration at the lower classes in the US is through marriage or direct family. Which also costs, AFAIK, at least 5 thousand dollars, and is completely out of reach of the actual lower class that gets paid a minimum wage.

Link

The Autumn Wind
When I say "watch" you know what I'm talking about. When I say "watch" you know what I'm talking about, right? You gotta watch.

Holy shit, why would you say that!?
I'm not near a tv, so I'm gonna need some context for this.

I'm not near a tv, so I'm gonna need some context for this.

He told his people they need to turn out on November 8th. (Fine). You need to get all your family to come out and vote. (Again fine) You all need to come out and watch. And when I say watch, you know what I mean. You've got to watch."

He went off script a lot more today than usual. He'll break soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom