• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can we reach out to her campaign to fucking come up with an answer. She needs an intervention. Maybe Cesare Borgia can help.

It's really annoying. I thought maybe she had a slip of the tongue to try out something the other week, and would take the backlash as a means to get a different answer, but, here she is again, doing it. There is a good answer. That is not it.

Comey did not say her public statements were truthful. She cannot say that.

Has anything that has happened in the past week convinced you to stop supporting him? If not, why not, out of curiosity?

Just reading the bit in your previous post about deporting illegal immigrants. You don't really need a degree in economics to figure out that deporting 11 million people would have a major economic impact, aside from the fact it would require so much money and so many resources as to bring about exactly the kind of government intervention in people's lives that conservatives so often decry.
* The nuke comments were made several months ago...they just happened to come out now. They were incredibly stupid and shows how uninformed he is on basic points but the reactions to the comments from the left were way overblown. People acting like he can just press a few buttons and launch nukes on a whim if some other country's leader made fun of his hair. Silly fear-mongering.

* Baby-gate was nothing but him joking and being sarcastic and the thread garnered some crazy replies as i expected.

* The frustration I feel about him is immense. He just cant go a couple days without putting his foot in his mouth. The story with the Khan's is so stupid...how could he be so dumb?? And he kept it going for days...like omg please admit youre wrong or apologize for something for once in your life. He's sabotaging his own campaign. It's extremely frustrating. All the big GOP politicians feel the same way I do. The frustration is real...it's deflating...it's depressing. The numbers were neck and neck for a long time and now DJT is down by 10 frackin points all b/c of dumb pointless butthurt remarks. My god...
These things that happened over the past week aren't gonna change my support because they're not policy related...theyre just Donald being an idiot.

Fivethirtyeight Forecasts don't work in my Chrome for some reason. Work in every other browser. It's stuck on July 20th data even after clearing out my entire cache. Weird.

Valhelm

contribute something
That'll depend on if they can survive that long. Rubio might not make it back to the Senate and win or lose Trump is going to be gunning for Cruz's head.

He's winning his Florida seat, especially now with the Zika posturing.

It's really annoying. I thought maybe she had a slip of the tongue to try out something the other week, and would take the backlash as a means to get a different answer, but, here she is again, doing it. There is a good answer. That is not it.

I'm glad this Trump implosion has been overshadowing it, but she really does need an actual, nonweasely answer.

ampere

I mean, I'm glad that something is getting you to not support a white nationalist, but it's a little bit of a bummer that it clearly wasn't the fact that he's a white nationalist.

pigeon reminding me why he's one of my favorite posters. omg lol

To be fair....

He acknowledges climate change. Just, you know, that it was invented by the Chinese and is a hoax.

oh yea and he's gonna address it by sticking it to china

I guess with Trump you have to be super pedantic lol :p

* The nuke comments were made several months ago...they just happened to come out now. They were incredibly stupid and shows how uninformed he is on basic points but the reactions to the comments from the left were way overblown. People acting like he can just press a few buttons and launch nukes on a whim if some other country's leader made fun of his hair. Silly fear-mongering.
I mean, there are basically zero checks on a president pressing the button. It's meant to be a very fast process

What sucks for Ayotte is that of Portman, Toomey, Rubio, Burr, Blunt, McCain, Johnson, Kirk... Ayotte is probably the best politician of the bunch and probably one of the strongest incumbent.

It just so happens that unlike a few of her weaker colleagues who got weaker challengers, Ayotte got the second strongest Dem in New Hampshire and will probably lose despite being a more talented politician than many who might retain their seats.

I'm glad this Trump implosion has been overshadowing it, but she really does need an actual, nonweasely answer.

There's an easy answer, she's just not saying it. It's incredibly frustrating.

* Baby-gate was nothing but him joking and being sarcastic and the thread garnered some crazy replies as i expected.

* The frustration I feel about him is immense. He just cant go a couple days without putting his foot in his mouth. The story with the Khan's is so stupid...how could he be so dumb?? And he kept it going for days...like omg please admit youre wrong or apologize for something for once in your life. He's sabotaging his own campaign. It's extremely frustrating. All the big GOP politicians feel the same way I do. The frustration is real...it's deflating...it's depressing. The numbers were neck and neck for a long time and now DJT is down by 10 frackin points all b/c of dumb pointless butthurt remarks. My god...
These things that happened over the past week aren't gonna change my support because they're not policy related...theyre just Donald being an idiot.
I might jump in later, and I completely disagree regarding policy related comments (Ukraine/NATO comments are horrible) but thanks for reasoning it out instead of LIBRUL BIASED MEDIA etc.

One thing I will tell you right now. The way a candidate campaigns is the way he will govern.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I mean, there are basically zero checks on a president pressing the button. It's meant to be a very fast process

Seriously, in the event of an attack the president needs to act within 4 minutes. There aren't a whole lot of checks on the executive when it comes to nukes, it's basically their own judgement between us and the end of days.

It's just not gonna happen in this day and age. Be realistic. He'll have a whole cabinet of people much smarter than him about the ramifications of such a move...it won't happen. It's a great talking point for Hillary... "Do you want this man with the codes to nuclear weapons??!" but that's it, just a talking point with little substance.

Let's stop right here because this is important. For all intents and purposes, he absolutely can. The President has unilateral power to order a nuclear strike. He just has to confirm his identity. He himself is not going to press a button but the soldiers actually turning the launch keys underground do not have the context or authority to question or refuse the order.

You cannot have a nuclear launch process that takes hours to approve and execute. That is akin to having no nuclear launch process at all. It relies almost entirely on the rationality and judgment of the President.

It's just not gonna happen in this day and age. Be realistic. He'll have a whole cabinet of people much smarter than him about the ramifications of such a move...it won't happen.

How would you rate his listening skills so far during this campaign?

Let's stop right here because this is important. For all intents and purposes, he absolutely can. The President has unilateral power to order a nuclear strike. He just has to confirm his identity. He himself is not going to press a button but the soldiers actually turning the launch keys underground do not have the context or authority to question or refuse the order.

You cannot have a nuclear launch process that takes hours to approve and execute. That is akin to having no nuclear launch process at all. It relies almost entirely on the rationality and judgment of the President.

This is super important to reiterate.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's just not gonna happen in this day and age. Be realistic. He'll have a whole cabinet of people much smarter than him about the ramifications of such a move...it won't happen.

They still have no legal authority to stop him if he decides it's go time. If they do try it's treason.

It's just not gonna happen in this day and age. Be realistic. He'll have a whole cabinet of people much smarter than him about the ramifications of such a move...it won't happen. It's a great talking point for Hillary... "Do you want this man with the codes to nuclear weapons??!" but that's it, just a talking point with little substance.

He's barely listening to his advisers now, and the president has almost unilateral power on to launch nukes without any checks. What's to say he's going to magically start listening to people in office when he hasn't done any of that his entire campaign?

The fear many have is he'll surround himself with yesman or simply ignore the advice (just as in his campaign).

Supporting a president is a multifaceted decision. Yes, clearly, policy is a huge component. But what bridges it together is temperament, tone, knowledge, discipline in decision making. And while I don't think he's imminently about to, say, launch a nuke his first day in office, him not knowing why we can't just nuke whomever we want whenever we want is pretty alarming. I can't overlook it. This wasn't at a rally where he was just riling up his crowd, this was mentioned repeatedly in a private meeting. That's not insubstantial.

At least personally speaking, if there were a left-wing Trump whose basic sketch of policy proposals I supported, but seemed woefully, almost dangerously unqualified and unhinged in every other regard, I'd not vote for that candidate.

For one, that's probably not going to happen. Look who he's surrounded himself during the campaign. Manafort has helped dictators, Pierson asks if 9/11 was an inside job and asks where the "purebloods" have gone, his son defends sexual harassment.

For two, that doesn't even matter. Read here:
http://www.vox.com/2016/8/3/12367996/donald-trump-nuclear-codes
especially this part:
"No one could come up with a definitive constitutional refutation of this," Rosenbaum writes. "Any president could, on his own, leave a room, and in 25 minutes, 70 million (or more than that) would be dead."

Now, there’s a slight wrinkle: The secretary of defense is required to verify the president’s order to launch. But he or she doesn’t have veto power. If the president orders a nuclear launch, the secretary is legally obligated to do it. He or she could theoretically choose to resign rather than carry out the order, but then it would fall to the secretary’s second-in-command to order the strike.

There aren't checks against this.

The way a candidate campaigns is the way he governs. Is he listening to anyone?

Trump has shown no ability to listen to any advisers thus far, why would he start?

I respect your right to vote for whomever you want. That's on you....but I can't understand the mental gymnastics necessary to still support this man.

His comments about nuclear weapons do not just show that he's uninformed. A teenager could understand why we wouldn't use nuclear weapons against terrorists. This is not complex stuff. This is basic governance. This is basic humanity here. No one running for office should be so uninformed! I mean...my god. And, no, he wouldn't do it because of his hair. But the very fact that we're having to argue the degree of (perceived) insult at which he may agree to use them is a symptom of the problem.

Baby gate was just funny because of all the other asinine shit he's done.

Again, these last few days are not new Donald Trump. There is no other Donald Trump. To quote Hillary...this is it. This is who he has always been. This is not new. This is not unique. And the idiotic things he's doing are coming as a result of people criticizing him on the campaign trail. Just think...what would he do to our reputation and standing on the world stage?

Donald Trump's polling collapse is not just because of these stupid things. In fact, we're really just back to the point where we were prior to the conventions. (with a bit of movement towards Hillary).

The problem with your candidate is that he is repugnant to African Americans, Women, Hispanics, LGBTQ people, Muslims, and Moderates. It's not just that he's personally repugnant, although that's a big part of it! His policies are dangerous and racist at best, and fascist at worst.

Like I said, you vote for whomever you want. But, for the love of all that you hold dear, please just think about your frustration and anger. Now, imagine he's actually in control of the economy. He's in control of the military. He's in control of the nuclear weapons. Can you live with that?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
For one, that's probably not going to happen. Look who he's surrounded himself during the campaign. Manafort has helped dictators, Pierson asks if 9/11 was an inside job and asks where the "purebloods" have gone, his son defends sexual harassment.

For two, that doesn't even matter. Read here:
http://www.vox.com/2016/8/3/12367996/donald-trump-nuclear-codes
especially this part:

There aren't checks against this.

And if the Secretary of Defense does manage to stop Trump, not only will it be treason, it's a coup. We'll have just had the first coup in US history. No matter what happens in that situation we're fucked beyond belief.

How do you feel about him constantly bowing to Russia? That's very much a policy issue.

Also, I think people are misrepresenting Babygate. It wasn't him yelling at a baby. It was him being unbelievably condescending to a mother.

Crocodile

Not supporting the candidate is pretty much political suicide isn't it? You know MR wouldn't piss on Trump to put him out if he was on fiya.

Country > Party. Trump is a special kind of disaster and I know you know this - you hate Trump just like the rest of us. If Cruz can find his balls (and its clear he's taken a political hit in the short term for it) so can Rubio. Supporting Trump, especially enthusiastically as Rubio has been doing recently, is going to be a dark mark for every Republican moving forward. I obviously don't know Rubio personally but "we can't trust him with nukes but make him president anyway" is not something a "good man" should be saying. Speaking at an anti-LGBT conference after claiming the Pulse shooting prompted him to run again is just another gross example of stuff he's said done. Dude is an opportunist in the worst possible ways - more so than most politicians it seems to me.

ampere

Not supporting the candidate is pretty much political suicide isn't it? You know MR wouldn't piss on Trump to put him out if he was on fiya.

Political career

Risk of nuclear war

Do we really need to weight the two? It's beyond irresponsible to think there's a risk for nuclear war if Trump were president and then say "eh still gonna endorse tho"

Are you really not gravely disappointed with this? I understand if you like Rubio, but this is a huge fuck-up on his part.

Sorry, but this isn't true. James Schlesinger stood between a drunk Nixon and nuclear war on several occasions, but it Nixon pushed the issue, he could have launched.

From Wikipedia: "Rosenbaum says[3] that the answer is that launch would indeed be possible: to this day, the nuclear fail-safe protocols for executing commands are entirely concerned with the president's identity, not his sanity."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Hering

Not to dogpile, but I don't really understand how you can policy agreements with a man who has no discernible, realistic, or consistent policy positions. Even his only real constants -- Build a wall and a Muslim ban (which is all ever shifting!) -- aren't possible.

hawk2025

Ok, let's talk about his cabinet choices, and his ability to listen.

What indication has he given that he will actually listen to whoever he chooses to be in his cabinet?

What moves do you see during this campaign that suggests that, even when he NEEDS a group of people to be successful, he will actually capitulate to them and defer to their knowledge on a subject?

Note how this is absolutely not strictly a judgement issue, but also a policy one. For example, as a Republican: Trump has again yesterday reinforced his policy of adding a 35% tariff to imports. How do you feel about that?

Yeah. She's getting a leash on this she would never get any other cycle. If it was Romney or Jeb or another establishment Republican, I'd be sweating fucking bullets every time she opened her mouth on this email stuff. The email thing itself may not have been terrible another cycle, but how she has handled it and responded whenever questioned about it would have been.

You know he can just fire the people who stand in his way, right?

Also, do you want that man to have the NSA at his beck and call? Imagine what he could get up to when he won't have to beg Russia to do his hacking for him anymore!

ampere

Not to dogpile, but I don't really understand how you can policy agreements with a man who has no discernible, realistic, or consistent policy positions. Even his only real constants -- Build a wall and a Muslim ban (which is all ever shifting!) -- aren't possible.

I think this is why pigeon's statement rings so true.

When he calls Trump a white nationalist over and over, he's driving home the fact that this is one of Trump's only consistent positions.

There's no reason to even entertain people with arguments about how "Trump won't really do anything bad c'mon guiz"

Paskil

I am actively encouraging the Republican party to take some time off. Do some soul searching. Don't participate in the 2020 presidential general election. Maybe do a primary dry run and see who wins. Then just stop after officially nominating at the RNC. Take the time between the RNC and election day to do some mock rallies and fundraising for other candidates. Then come back and redo the process as a fresh start in 2024.

How do you feel about him constantly bowing to Russia? That's very much a policy issue.

Also, I think people are misrepresenting Babygate. It wasn't him yelling at a baby. It was him being unbelievably condescending to a mother.

It was also silly. I don't think babygate is a deciding event for anyone, just a nice little example of Trump for people who already dislike him.

His Russia policies (as nopted by Frum, are consistent over time) are the most worrying thing to me policy-wise. The other stuff he won't likely be able to do.

Because he listens so well to the people around him advising his campaign. lol

I'll echo Pidgeon's sentiments.

Rubio isn't a good candidate because he doesn't have what it takes to reach out to Latino voters policy wise. That should have been his strength as a candidate but it isn't. His moderate position was building a giant fence instead of a wall. And he backed out of even trying to push through any sort of immigration reform. He should be the parties hope to get back the Latino voters they've lost over the past twelve years but he's too much of a weakling.

Foffy

Banned
I am actively encouraging the Republican party to take some time off. Do some soul searching. Don't participate in the 2020 presidential general election. Maybe do a primary dry run and see who wins. Then just stop after officially nominating at the RNC. Take the time between the RNC and election day to do some mock rallies and fundraising for other candidates. Then come back and redo the process as a fresh start in 2024.

This sounds too sensible.

Why expect reason from the party of unreason?

hawk2025

Policy and temperament are NOT disconnected, not in this case.

His whole policy is intrinsically connected to his temperament and a vengeful, spiteful, reactive view of the world.

- American companies have moved to Mexico in the past? 35% tariff on Imports.

- Some NATO allies have not paid 2% of their GDP? Act as a mob boss and demand protection money.

- Terrorism an ongoing concern? Ban all muslims from entering the country

It's absolutely connected. When you add to his reaction to issues, who he surrounded himself with, and who he actually listens to during the whole campaign -- it paints a VERY clear picture of how he would govern and what he actually sees as sound policy.

Been talking some more with my cousins from KC and it's pretty interesting to hear their anti-Trump tea party perspective on the pro-trump people over there. They seem to divide those who do support Trump into two major camps: One they call the "fuck you" camp and all they care about is how the political system is broken and needs to be blown up. So pushed hard enough they'll probably admit Trump is terrible but that's apparently exactly why we should vote for him in the first place.

The other camp is, well, they didn't describe it this way exactly but I'll say it because I was reading between the lines, racist. Like my cousins cross the line sometimes in terms of racial insensitivity (they're not always politically correct as the saying goes) but it's borne more out of subconscious bias and stereotyping than any kind of conscious hate. They acknowledge white privilege and racial discrimination (in their own vocabulary) and have minority friends and co-workers they have good relationships with (kids stay at each other's houses as an example), but they still like to laugh at racist jokes and things like that.

But you've got your historical, no bones about it, super racism in full swing over there too, it's just that apparently everyone has agreed on cloaking language to use in public. It's like there's secret agent code-phrases that need to be verified before people will speak freely. And almost no one fails to speak in that cloaked language except the most virulent.

pigeon

Banned

He can. This is a depressingly ignorant post. This is literally how nuclear weapons work. They are built and designed for a situation where the president may need to launch nukes at a moment's notice to respond to or to prevent the imminent destruction of the United States, and everybody involved in the process is trained to have absolute trust in the president's ability to make that decision.

Do some research.

Great, thanks for clarifying! Basically, you actually are totally fine with white nationalism and you're super excited that it might come to America, you're just bummed because your white nationalist candidate is not very good at politics.

I understand you perfectly. Thanks for your posts. I think you've made yourself pretty clear.

Paskil

I am not going to engage Brock Lesnar because he could totally fuck my shit up. That's probably the precise reason Adam is engaging him. :p

It was also silly. I don't think babygate is a deciding event for anyone, just a nice little example of Trump for people who already dislike him.

His Russia policies (as nopted by Frum, are consistent over time) are the most worrying thing to me policy-wise. The other stuff he won't likely be able to do.

The baby thing is super harmful to Trump. It cements people's perceptions about him and it hurts him with the demographic he desperately needs to have a chance: Suburban Women.

The Russian stuff is honestly mystifying. Trump is so brazen and consistent with it and still tries to deny it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom