• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mere fact that Trump wants to know why we cant use nukes should be enough to disqualify him. This is a person who has shown no capacity to learn and in fact has a habit of quadrupling down. This much power in the hands of anyone (including Obama) is concerning, let alone someone totally haphazard like Trump.

Do you think after the 2012 Republican autopsy and then the Trump reality, Republican leadership will actually invest in reversing the damage done by the southern strategy and redirect the toxic conservative media into something that isn't so hateful? They realize that they need to reform the platform but it's pointless when you're toxic base won't let that happen. They can't expect to repair the damage in 4 years with a proposed reformed platform and a few "moderate" candidates when their base is going to latch onto the most hateful scumbag of the bunch. I'd really like to not be so terrified of the prospect of the opposing candidate actually somehow winning. I know a lot would like this to destroy the Republican party but I don't think that really solves much. I don't see it replaced by anything much better.

How do people feel about mail-in ballot only systems like in WA, OR, and CO? I recognize that there's some value in preserving voting as a communal activity, but I think all the ways you can interfere with the traditional voting methods are outweighed by the simplicity of the mail in ballot. No need to show up at a particular location at a specific time, no under-staffing or under-funding problems, etc.

Three states with legal weed use mail-in ballot only? I feel like there's some sort of connection there...

As an Oregon resident, I think vote by mail is great. It's convenient and we haven't had any issues with voter fraud (plus it makes the "voter ID" argument a complete non-issue).

TyrantII

Ignoring your campaign advisors about toning down the controversial remarks and Twitter tweets does not compare to ignoring your cabinet about the use of nuclear weapons. Is that not a reasonable conclusion?

Let me put it this way. Your life savings and future prosperity are on the line. Knowing what we do know, are you willing to truthfully take that bet?

Rational people can be counted on for reasonable courses of actions. I can't say Trump has left much evidence that hes a rational actor.

Do you think after the 2012 Republican autopsy and then the Trump reality, Republican leadership will actually invest in reversing the damage done by the southern strategy and redirect the toxic conservative media into something that isn't so hateful? They realize that they need to reform the platform but it's pointless when you're toxic base won't let that happen. They can't expect to repair the damage in 4 years with a proposed reformed platform and a few "moderate" candidates when their base is going to latch onto the most hateful scumbag of the bunch. I'd really like to not be so terrified of the prospect of the opposing candidate actually somehow winning. I know a lot would like this to destroy the Republican party but I don't think that really solves much. I don't see it replaced by anything much better.

Until this stuff starts hurting their house/senate and local election results, they're not going to change.

I could easily see the GOP holding the house for another 8 years. And they might be perfectly content to hold that power, but give up the executive branch.

This has been circulating on facebook the past couple days.

"WikiLeaks: Hacked Emails Prove Hillary ARMED JIHADISTS In Syria - Including ISIS"
http://www.dailywire.com/news/7960/wikileaks-hacked-emails-include-hillary-arming-james-barrett

What's it all about?

It's been going around that Wikileaks may still have e-mails they haven't released yet, though personally I'd take it with a grain of salt. I still remember how in 2012 Breitbart said they had a "shocking video" that showed who Obama "really was," and it ended up being just some old video of him at a college asking people to open "their hearts and minds" to one of his professors (who I think had somewhat controversial views, maybe?). It was basically a dud, all the more so because it wasn't even secret; the same video was part of a biographical presentation years beforehand.

So if they still have e-mails left to share, it's up in the air whether it's literally what they say it is, or if it's something that requires a lot of creative thinking to even begin linking Clinton and ISIS.

They created a base that isn't going away even if their numbers dwindle, I think they continue course and live with becoming a more regional power.

Then again they'll continue to be completely ineffectual as a regional power nationally so who knows. Their base is reacting this way to Trump specifically because the right couldn't delivery on all of the Tea Parties promises.

Until this stuff starts hurting their house/senate and local election results, they're not going to change.

I could easily see the GOP holding the house for another 8 years. And they might be perfectly content to hold that power, but give up the executive branch.

Yeah, this is what I think. Still curious what the effects of that would be though. Their base is seething already. Another 8 years of campaigning on extreme right policy that they can't reasonably accomplish isn't going to calm the beast.

DrMungo

Let me put it this way. Your life savings and future prosperity are on the line. Knowing what we do know, are you willing to truthfully take that bet?

Rational people can be counted on for reasonable courses of actions. I can't say Trump has left much evidence that hes a rational actor.

I also have young kids too, which makes me extra nervous about a Trump presidency.

That is very shortsighted if that is indeed the play because eventually even the House will be difficult to hold. Governorships in safe states will be difficult to hold and then State legislatures. Not investing in real change and just holding the House will ultimately leave them with nothing and then it's far too late to change.

They created a base that isn't going away even if their numbers dwindle. I think they continue course and live with becoming a more regional power.

Then again they'll continue to be completely ineffectual as a regional power nationally so who knows. Their base is reacting this way to Trump specifically because the right couldn't delivery on all of the Tea Parties promises.

Yes they created the base and they need to invest slowly in change of rhetoric and not just candidates, the conservative media. Use the same tools that created the monster is the only way.

The one thing Republicans can take from Democrats is coalescing behind a presumptive nominee well over a year in advance is a better solution than have 15 people squabbling in January. It may look like corruption, but if the entire Republican machine had gotten behind Jeb (for example) in 2014, Donald Trump would be where Bernie Sanders is; an unconventional upstart who couldn't secure the votes needed to beat the party favorite. Instead they fractured the "anti-Trump" vote between a half dozen other people and you ended up with the fiery demagogue winning with a plurality. Angry white men will vote for a Republican regardless; they didn't need to capitulate to Trump to capture that demographic.

Andrin

I've been lurking in the PoliGAF threads for most of the election process so far, so thanks a lot for giving me a great opportunity to learn more about the actual process in the US
, and for introducing me to Keepin' it 1600
. It's rather different from how things work over here in Sweden, so it's been facinating to follow everything live. Special callout to Adam's anecdotes about his mother. You're both amazing!

And as a small respite from the Trump Train of Doom, could I nominate this as the official theme song for when Hillary wins the election?

How do people feel about mail-in ballot only systems like in WA, OR, and CO? I recognize that there's some value in preserving voting as a communal activity, but I think all the ways you can interfere with the traditional voting methods are outweighed by the simplicity of the mail in ballot; there's no need to show up at a particular location at a specific time, no under-staffing or under-funding problems, no interference from weather or other circumstances, etc.

I think I've voted in person one time my entire life. Otherwise, I vote by mail. It's simple. It's fast. You don't have to mess up your schedule to get there on time. I don't have a problem with keeping in person voting as an option if someone wants it. Like, everyone gets a mail order ballot but you can vote in person instead. I'm 100% in favor of everyone having access to mail voting.

Zona

Even though I think he's a loose canon and capable of launching nukes, I don't think he'll be provoked enough to do it. I'm much more worried about national issues. With a GOP controlled congress (I'm assuming a trump win would be good for down ticket support) he'll have the votes to fuck up the SCOTUS, fuck up the economy, make our taxes more regressive and would fuck up our social safety nets. I mean ... a trade war with China?

I'll also say again that if you want to deport 11 million people regardless of societal and economic impact you just want them gone and are probably a white nationalist yourself.

Ignoring everything else that's wrong with him I feel that if the best answer you can give to the question "Will this person, as president, start a nuclear war?" is

756.gif

It should really be an instant disqualification!

How do people feel about mail-in ballot only systems like in WA, OR, and CO? I recognize that there's some value in preserving voting as a communal activity, but I think all the ways you can interfere with the traditional voting methods are outweighed by the simplicity of the mail in ballot; there's no need to show up at a particular location at a specific time, no under-staffing or under-funding problems, no interference from weather or other circumstances, etc.

I think it's great! I can read the voter's guide pamphlet and pull up a couple of websites that compare and suggest candidates to help me make choices about who to vote for, which is especially important since sometimes (as with the State Treasurer race in the primary we just had) there are multiple Ds that split the vote and allow for the chance two Rs or a R and a Libertarian to take top-two in the primary. It helps me to pick the Ds that are most likely to finish top two without having to take a bunch of research with me or whatever.

I love it.

HylianTom

Banned
I understand the logical appeal of voting by mail. Definitely.

But damn, there's nothing that beats pulling the lever to register my ballot (or more recently, pushing the touchscreen). I love the experience. It's satisfying.

Yes they created the base and they need to invest slowly in change of rhetoric and not just candidates, the conservative media. Use the same tools that created the monster is the only way.

How are they going to get local votes if they do that though? The base isn't changing over night. The establishment wanted to moderate some after 2012 but the tea party forced them further right or risk getting primaried.

Ignoring everything else that's wrong with him I feel that if the best answer you can give to the question "Will this person, as president, start a nuclear war?" is

756.gif

It should really be an instant disqualification!

I mean, I'm definitely not gonna argue with that. lol

I've been lurking in the PoliGAF threads for most of the election process so far, so thanks a lot for giving me a great opportunity to learn more about the actual process in the US
, and for introducing me to Keepin' it 1600
. It's rather different from how things work over here in Sweden, so it's been facinating to follow everything live. Special callout to Adam's anecdotes about his mother. You're both amazing!

And as a small respite from the Trump Train of Doom, could I nominate this as the official theme song for when Hillary wins the election?

Aww, thanks! :)

But damn, there's nothing that beats pulling the lever to register my ballot (or more recently, pushing the touchscreen). I love the experience. It's satisfying.

I've done it once. I got bitchy I had to wait in line. I've taken a ton of people to the polls, and I'm usually silently bitching that they could have done this easier by mail. :p

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Another GOP'er down:

Andrea Mitchell @mitchellreports
.@RepCharlieDent says he might have to write in former Defense Secretary Robert Gates. Won't vote Trump or Hillary: msnbc.com/andrea-mitchel…

1:07pm · 4 Aug 2016 · Twitter for iPhone

Grief.exe

Colorado resident.

It increases our voter participation tremendously by making it vastly easier to vote. In favor.

Vote by mail is probably the best for those people who think it's an unneeded effort to leave their house to go vote period.

Mike Pence declines to endorse McCain and Ayotte

Shit show.

On the flip side. I enjoyed drinking a beer out of my Hillary glasses while I penciled in my lines.

They should do internet voting and give us some sort of flash animation or some shit with a pulling lever though. That would be better.

How are they going to get local votes if they do that though? The base isn't changing over night. The establishment wanted to moderate some after 2012 but the tea party forced them further right or risk getting primaried.

Yeah, it's a long term investment and I guess if the majority of the party leaders are old men, they see no benefit in reversing the trend. I guess the real trick is coming up with new tactics to convince poor and middle class voters to vote against their own best interests tosupport the wealthy without it centering around bigotry.

ampere

This could be a good thing. I think it would work best with a gradual transition involving mail-in options being easily available and highly promoted prior to actually switching

Mike Pence declines to endorse McCain and Ayotte

Source? Didn't he already endorse McCain yesterday?

HylianTom

Banned
Don't get me wrong.. I wouldn't object one bit if we all went to mail-in ballots.

(And in a few decades, us oldsters could enthrall/bore young folks with tales of our old, primitive voting systems, lol..)

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I kind of mentioned this before....

Because of the strategy we've taken in that the race is no longer Democrat vs Republican but Donald Trump vs Sanity, we've lost some of our leverage in tying non-cray-cray people to Trump. This is true if they haven't implicitly endorsed him, and maybe especially if they've been hyper critical of him in the past. Demographically Rubio has some advantages, especially in South Florida.

I'd like to think we can do better, but we have to tie him to Trump hard.

It's the decision of trying to kill Trumpism or trying to hit the GOP harder. I'm on board with the former over the latter, even if it costs us a few senate seats (because 2018 is looking like it's going to be a GOP asswhooping of the Democrats in the Senate) - but because if we're saying Trump is a special level of dangerous, then you treat him as such.

Also, like, he has said a couple of times that we should nuke people more.

Like so much of Barack Lesnar's argument, the core idea is basically "despite the things Trump has said, he probably will do a totally different thing because I wished for it in my heart."

Which, to be fair, is probably something a lot of progressives are doing with respect to Clinton and her warhawk-iness / generally more moderate positions.

This is hilarious. Its fake but amazingly accurate!

“There has to be a point at which you say, ‘This is not somebody I can support for president of the United States, even if he purports to be a member of my party,’” Obama said. “The fact that that has not yet happened makes some of these denunciations ring hollow.”

But despite isolated defections, the president’s words seemed only to harden the resolve of most Republican leaders. They stood by Trump through mounting controversies in the months that followed, even as it became clear that the party was headed for its worst electoral defeat in generations.

Included here are transcripts of some of Trump’s more incendiary comments during that fall campaign, along with the responses from some Republican leaders at the time.

“Sure, I got deferments. But — excuse me, Chuck, let me finish. Would you really want a president who was dumb enough to let himself get drafted? I mean, it wasn’t hard to get out of it, believe me. My doctor said I had a bump on my heel or something, I don’t know. I don’t even think he was a doctor, frankly. The government is just very, very stupid, OK? Which is why only I can fix it.” —“Meet the Press,” Aug. 28

House Speaker Paul Ryan: “Let me just be very clear about one thing, which is that we don’t think it’s dumb to wear the uniform of the United States armed forces. But the real issue here is that no one wants to be in a situation where we have to have a draft, period, and we believe that’s much more likely to happen if Hillary Clinton is elected president. Also, we urge all Americans to have their feet checked regularly by an actual doctor.”

“I know religion better than the pope, believe me! And Romans wouldn’t have crucified anybody on my watch! Weak! Sad!” —Twitter war with Pope Francis, Sept. 5

Former Gov. Mike Huckabee: “Of course Donald didn’t mean the Savior was weak. His choice of words was unfortunate. I think the point Donald was trying to make is that religion has been under attack from liberal, activist judges from the beginning of time, really. You can draw a direct line from Pontius Pilate to Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I believe Donald will protect our religious liberties, which is why I support him.”

“Look, all I’m saying, Anderson, is that this hajj, this pilgrimage, is happening right now, and we have not seen the president in public for a couple of days. Do I think Barack Obama is in Mecca running around in circles and planning a terrorist attack right now? I’m not saying I know that for a fact. But we have satellites. It’s something we should look at.” —CNN interview with Anderson Cooper, Sept. 9

Sen. Marco Rubio: “Every election is a choice, OK? Would I choose Donald Trump over myself? No, I obviously would not. Would I choose Trump over, say, John Hinckley? Yes, I would. Would I choose Trump in a three-way race with John Hinckley and Charles Manson? That’s a tougher one. Maybe I go with Manson. It depends on what the parole board says. But anyway, this election is a choice between Trump and Hillary Clinton, and I firmly believe endorsing Trump is critical to my future. So fine, if he insists Obama is a Muslim, let’s just go with that.”

“You want to see a wall that kept a lot of people safe? Go to Berlin! You see all the Muslims streaming in now? You think Putin doesn’t regret tearing down the wall? What kind of idiot gave the Russians that advice? I have German friends calling me up and begging me, ‘Donald, Donald, please, when you get done with your wall, come over here and rebuild ours!’ It’s sad, frankly.” —Speech to the Council on Foreign Relations, Sept. 30

Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus: “Who’s to say that if Ronald Reagan were alive today, he wouldn’t be the first one to demand the Russians ‘rebuild that wall’? I can’t know that. You can’t know that. The only person who would really know is Reagan, and he’s dead. So Donald Trump is the closest thing to Reagan that we have, really, and I continue to believe that he is our party’s nominee.”

“No, I did not call you the devil. What I said — excuse me, let me finish, Hillary — what I said is that Bernie made a deal with the devil, which in this case was you. Frankly, you can’t be the devil, because the devil is great, OK? The devil is in charge of all the suffering in hell, and that’s a position of serious leadership. That takes a winner. You might be some kind of minor demon or something.” —Second presidential debate, Oct. 9

House Speaker Paul Ryan: “Yeah, I saw it. No, the devil is not great. The devil is not a winner. What do you want me to say? I marched out there and I endorsed him, OK? There’s no backsies. I put the sticker on my car already. It’s not one of those magnet deals. It’s really on there. I’d have to repaint the entire bumper. This thing is happening, OK?”

“Happy holidays to my Jewish friends! If only the Book of Life sold as many copies as ‘Art of the Deal’! No. 1 bestseller! Keep trying!” —Yom Kippur tweet, Oct. 11

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell: “Naturally I reject any comparison of Mr. Trump’s work with God’s own. I do appreciate that he doesn’t always bow to this rampant political correctness, but I also think there has to be a line, although I defend his right to say those things. So as I’ve said all along, I respect, renounce, support and disagree with Mr. Trump. That’s as clear as I can be.”

“Frankly, I never wanted the job anyway. Why would I say all this stuff if I wanted to be president? C’mon! This was so great for my family, it’s just amazing. Tiffany’s getting her own show. Barron’s YouTube channel is through the roof! He’s caught so many Pokémons traveling around, you wouldn’t believe. Just an amazing experience.” —Election eve news conference, Nov. 7

House Speaker Paul Ryan: “Oh, for the love of Christ! Seriously? This is why I spent the last six months not talking about poverty and tax reform? And the sticker is on there, man! I tried Goo Gone, the Magic Eraser, all of it! So yeah, I’m not happy. And yeah, I endorse him. What choice do you think I have now?”
https://www.yahoo.com/news/anything-trump-could-party-cut-000000585.html

Trump is literally the closest to being the worst possible candidate for President I have seen in my life.

If you are counting major parties and actual GE candidates, that's not even a question. And that includes McCain, who picked Palin as a backup, and was itching to go to war with Iran so hard it that it was essentially a campaign promise.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's the decision of trying to kill Trumpism or trying to hit the GOP harder. I'm on board with the former over the latter, even if it costs us a few senate seats (because 2018 is looking like it's going to be a GOP asswhooping of the Democrats in the Senate) - but because if we're saying Trump is a special level of dangerous, then you treat him as such.

Which, to be fair, is probably something a lot of progressives are doing with respect to Clinton and her warhawk-iness / generally more moderate positions.

To be fair, it does benefit us if the GOP can fight off the insane wing of their own party and marginalize the crazies. We need two functioning parties for our democracy to work.

Andrin

This is one of the areas that's really different and facinating to me. Over here, mandatory ID in order to vote is expected. It's just that having an ID is required for a lot of different things, from buying alcohol, to signing contracts, to interacting with government agencies, that practically everyone has one anyway. And we have a lot of options for them as well. First you could get a passport from any Police office in the nation, or use your driver's licence, or get an ID card, either from the Police or from the nearest office of the bank you're using. And if you're short on time you could get a provisional ID that's just as valid right away by visiting the Police, though that's more expensive and you need a witness who can confirm your identity to them.

And voting is always on the last sunday in September, though mail in voting is available for about a month before that.

We're only about 10 million in total over here though, so there's much less of a logistical nightmare to hold elections here than in the US.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The baby thing is super harmful to Trump. It cements people's perceptions about him and it hurts him with the demographic he desperately needs to have a chance: Suburban Women.

The Russian stuff is honestly mystifying. Trump is so brazen and consistent with it and still tries to deny it.

I agree on this. I see the position on Russia, women and baby-gate as far more damaging.

People might say the nuke thing is a bluff and boisterous talk, and it might be, but his position on "pay for NATO protection" and Russia at large internationally indicates to me he sees everything as a tit for tat deal, zero sum game, with zero empathy, compassion or regard for history and underlying human and social norms across the world. Everyone who is not a paying supporter is an "other" to him that is only there to be exploited.

And nationally, his views on minorities, the disabled and women, from the harassment stance to the baby incident indicates to me he only values power and strength again with no empathy or regard for society and its challenges and norms. Even his turning on Ryan and McCain show that everyone who does not support him is a tool for him to exploit.

It's a disgrace that leading Republican members don't disavow him. They are doing far more damage to themselves and the party in the long run as they lose their credibility with on the fence voters.

John HarwoodVerified account
‏@JohnJHarwood
Harvard Republican Club statement on Trump: "doesn't possess temperament and character to lead. a threat to survival of our Republic"

Noah RothmanVerified account
‏@NoahCRothman Noah Rothman Retweeted ((James Wigderson))
Ryan challenger Nehlen says Trump's Muslim ban cannot be implemented, so we should discuss total Muslim deportation
Waaaa (Trump seems to like him).

CpCWXzKWEAAvLRl.jpg:large

TRUMPSTER FIRE!

Nope. Many of the party's biggest problems are in the south. That's the white resentment capitol, race wise, and the problem will only get bigger due to immigration+black migration back to the south. It's also the power base for the religious right, who are fighting battles that were lost on the national level years ago. Yet the GOP can't simply throw the south out, because they'd have no path to EC victory without it. But going forward the GOP has to find a way to limit the south's influence on the party. Maybe that means switching up the primary/caucus schedule.

Sooner or later republicans are going to have to realize being the party of rich white men is not a great thing, nationally. They need to re-dedicate themselves to working people and small businesses. And they need to find a way to stop making suburban white women embarrassed to admit they're conservative. The gay bashing, immigration fear mongering, transphobia, faux morality bullshit has to go. But that ties back into my first point: how do you move away from that stuff without losing the south.

Manufacturing is dead and a lot of jobs are going to be made obsolete soon. Republicans would be smart to remake their economic platform while democrats preside over economic changes and turbulence. Wait for the next recession and be ready to capitalize.

Sounds like he negotiated for the ability to endorse Ryan but couldn't get Trump to budge on McCain and Ayotte. I'd rather not see McCain primaried by a lunatic if a republican is going to win AZ anyway.

This is one of the areas that's really different and facinating to me. Over here, mandatory ID in order to vote is expected. It's just that having an ID is required for a lot of different things, from buying alcohol, to signing contracts, to interacting with government agencies, that practically everyone has one anyway. And we have a lot of options for them as well. First you could get a passport from any Police office in the nation, or use your driver's licence, or get an ID card, either from the Police or from the nearest office of the bank you're using. And if you're short on time you could get a provisional ID that's just as valid right away by visiting the Police, though that's more expensive and you need a witness who can confirm your identity to them.

And voting is always on the last sunday in September, though mail in voting is available for about a month before that.

We're only about 10 million in total over here though, so there's much less of a logistical nightmare to hold elections here than in the US.

We have such systemic problems in so much of our local government, that voting ID laws are just terrible. Firstly, they're not free. You have to pay for IDs.In Ohio, for example, it's $8.50. And even if a person has the $8.50, my local DMV is not on the bus route. They have really, really narrow hours. Some states have made the voting ID free, but they only have one or two locations to serve an entire county (or sometimes a state). They limit the hours, and they close offices that are in minority heavy areas.

And even if you can afford it, and even if you can arrange transportation, you still have to have documents to get your ID. In Ohio, you have to have an original birth certificate (not a photocopy) and your original Social Security card. The first can be very, very difficult to get (and, again costs money). In my case, we had to drive 45 minutes away to get a copy so I could get my ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom