• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm... she got interrogated for 11 hours on live TV by a panel of hostile Republicans constantly attempting to twist her words and get her to slip up and they couldn't do it.

Debating a moron who probably won't even show up is nothing she can't handle.

Yeah, she's the Queen of Cool. If she becomes unhinged, it's because she WANTS to and planned it that way.

Umm... she got interrogated for 11 hours on live TV by a panel of hostile Republicans constantly attempting to twist her words and get her to slip up and they couldn't do it.
That was a serious legal matter...have to be very careful with your words and remain calm. A political debate (with Trump no less) is very different.

e: and she was under oath

DrMungo

Debating a moron who probably won't even show up is nothing she can't handle.

In fact she was laughing and highlighting their crazy questions ("did you sleep ALONE?") and the GOP members on the panel unraveled and Gowdy messed up the press conference afterwards and couldn't find anything new gleaned from that charade.

Measley

Hillary has never debated someone like Donald Trump. Look what happened in the Republican debates. Most of the candidates are cool and collected people but Trump changes the whole atmosphere of the debate.

You mean the "cool and collected people" that outright deny science and believe that ISIS is as dangerous as Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union?

Let's get real here; The general electorate is nothing like the Republican primary voter.

I mean, come on.

Hillary has dealt with people like Donald Trump for 30 years. She's been picked apart in every way possible. She's been attacked for her hair, her pantsuits, scrunchies, cookies, Tammy Wynette, Ben Ghazi. She's been called a liar. A murder. THE LITERAL DEVIL. She's had thousands of people chant "LOCK HER UP" She's stood in front of Congress and had big mouthed, small minded people try and tear her down. And, you know what? She's still standing. And she's not lost her cool.

Donald Trump lost his shit over someone saying his hands were small!

There is nothing that Mr. Trump could say that would upset her. One, because he's insignificant. Two, because who really cares what Donald Trump thinks about you (or anything else). Third because this is what she's been preparing for her entire life. And someone like Donald Trump is not going to get in her way.

This is a good birds-eye view of the job growth numbers:

Jon Erlichman ‏@JonErlichman 2h2 hours ago
U.S. Unemployment Rate

July 2010: 9.5%
July 2011: 9.1%
July 2012: 8.3%
July 2013: 7.4%
July 2014: 6.2%
July 2015: 5.3%
July 2016: 4.9%

That was a serious legal matter...have to be very careful with your words and remain calm. A political debate (with Trump no less) is very different.

There was nothing serious about that clown show. It was a blatant attempt to try and collect sound bites to use later, and it blew up in their faces. No information was obtained from the hearing.

Trump played the crowd at the GOP debates. They were a free for all circus of interruptions, boos and stadium cheers. There were too many people on the stage and the moderators were useless.

General debates are a whole different story. There's no crowd for Trump to feed off of. Moderators are more disciplined and keep better control.

The GOP also couldn't go crazy attacking Trump, because they needed his base to win. Hillary doesn't give a care about Trump's core voters and can sit up there and rip Trump apart, make him beg for mercy, then kick him while he's down.

I think you're seriously underestimating how savage a fired up Hillary can be, and overestimating how good Trump is at speaking and attacking opponents on stage.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
If anything it's more likely Donald would implode on the debate stage. This isn't really a real question.

Imagine him getting pushback from a moderator on stage like Romney did. Imagine how he handles that. Now imagine that the moderators do their jobs and correct him 4-5x in one night. :eek:

CpED-oqUsAAdmd2.jpg

That's LITERALLY one President.

I really dislike this narrative that Trump is some kind of masterful politician because he's a wildcard. Remember how many people said he couldn't have bad press? Nothing sticks to him? All those questions were put to rest this past week.

He didn't escape those primary debates unscathed either. There were moments where Rubio and Cruz got the better of him easily. He didn't handle it well either. He's easily baited and angered. Again, this past week proves just that.

Also, if we're going to go into the debates clinging to a hypothetical. We have zero clue if he can even handle a one on one debate. He already seems as if he wants to dodge, or discredit the upcoming debates.

Oh, then add on top of this what everyone else has said about Clinton above me.

Teggy

Nate trying to play Debbie Downer again

Nate Silver‏ @NateSilver538
Clinton's winning by around 8% today. But our models suspect that'll fade to more like 4-6% by Election Day.

Nate trying to play Debbie Downer again

Nate Silver‏ @NateSilver538
Clinton's winning by around 8% today. But our models suspect that'll fade to more like 4-6% by Election Day.

No he's not, he is just being realistic. Keeping It 1600 said the same thing on this week's podcast.

4-6% is a crazy crazy good result for Clinton.

Tubie

The audience for the Republican primary debates and GE debates is way different too.

The childish/insane/racist/sexist shit Trump pulled in the GOP debates will actually harm him in a GE debate.

jevity

It amazes me how all the MSM pro-Trump talking heads keep emphasizing how Trump needs to zero in on talking about the economy - taxes and jobs, when most of his roaring applauses happen after yelling dumbfoundingly ignorant, racist and biggotted bumpersticker slogans.

They don't get it.

Trump OFF message and script - is a cathartic cultist carnival to his followers.

Trump ON (GOP platform) message and script - is boring as zzzz fuck.

Do you agree ?

This is a good birds-eye view of the job growth numbers:

Jon Erlichman ‏@JonErlichman 2h2 hours ago
U.S. Unemployment Rate

July 2010: 9.5%
July 2011: 9.1%
July 2012: 8.3%
July 2013: 7.4%
July 2014: 6.2%
July 2015: 5.3%
July 2016: 4.9%

Also:

Justin Wolfers ‏@JustinWolfers 2h2 hours ago
IT'S A RECORD: 70 STRAIGHT MONTHS OF JOB GROWTH.
Previous longest streak: 48 months.

HylianTom

Banned
The audience for the Republican primary debates and GE debates is way different too.

The childish/insane/racist/sexist shit Trump pulled in the GOP debates will actually harm him in a GE debate.
One of the biggest harbingers of doom for him:
When people saw him at his convention, they didn't like what they saw. Gallup's measure of voter intent showed for the first time in history that voters moved away from him after seeing his speech.

If he tries similar rhetoric or messaging during a debate, when he's expected to adapt quickly from topic to topic, he's going to fail. He already has the Bullshitter label on him, and he now runs the risk of reinforcing it.

Hillary has her own issues (particularly that nebulous "trust" thing), but voters received her speech quite well and she comes off as knowledgeable. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if Debate #1 ends-up being the final nail in the coffin.

One of the biggest harbingers of doom for him:
When people saw him at his convention, they didn't like what they saw. Gallup's measure of voter intent showed for the first time in history that voters moved away from him after seeing his speech.

If he tries similar rhetoric or messaging during a debate, when he's expected to adapt quickly from topic to topic, he's going to fail. He already has the Bullshitter label on him, and he now runs the risk of reinforcing it.

Hillary has her own issues (particularly that nebulous "trust" thing), but voters received her speech quite well and she comes off as knowledgeable. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if Debate #1 ends-up being the final nail in the coffin.

This is especially true because debates are typically about policy. You need a bit of wonk in you. Trump knows....nothing about policy. Because he has no policy other than build a wall, make Mexico pay for it, and deport the brown(ish) people. Empty statements will not work in a 1 v 1 debate. And if they ask him "You said you're going to defeat ISIS, what's your plan?" And he responds with "It's a secret! I want to be unpredictable." That's going to make him look like an idiot...especially when Hillary replies with, you know, sanity.

Also

I thought Obamacare was killing Full Time Employment. It's almost like everything Fox News and the GOP says is a lie.

New AJC Poll of GA:

H2H
Hillary: 44
Trump: 40

4 way
Hillary: 43
Trump: 38
Johnson: 11
Stein: 2

Note that Stein does not currently have ballot access in GA.

Tell me something... I get the reason for the $400 million payment. Iran gave us 1.7 billion dollars 20 or 30 years ago to purchase goods but we decided to end trade with them before giving them the goods. The $400 million is just us paying Iran back the 1.7 billion given to us.

But...with all the crap that's going on with Iran and with the state of the middle east. Why give the $400 million now? Why do it at all knowing there's a chance it will used for nefarious purposes? Why not just say fuck off and keep the money?

Grief.exe

Tell me something... I get the reason for the $400 million payment. Iran gave us 1.7 billion dollars 20 or 30 years ago to purchase goods but we decided to end trade with them before giving them the goods. The $400 million is just us paying Iran back the 1.7 billion given to us.

Iran actually paid us $400 million back in the day, Iran wanted 7 or 8 billion back due to interest, but we settled on 1.7 billion.

But...with all the crap that's going on with Iran and with the state of the middle east. Why give the $400 million now? Why do it at all knowing there's a chance it will used for nefarious purposes? Why not just say fuck off and keep the money?

One of the conditions of the Nuclear Deal with Iran is we remove sanctions and open back a banking relationship. The money we had frozen was apart of the deal.

Because it's better to have fair relations with Iran than damaging rhetoric. Writing them off as "evil" like presidents of the past does nothing for the region, for America or its allies.

Well, you're almost right, but just a little off. They gave us $400 million. With interest and stuff it's now ballooned to $1.7 billion. It moved through the courts, and we owed them the money. There's a chance they could have gotten a lot more than $1.7 billion from us in the courts.

And, the reason it happened now is, because of the dialogue with the nuclear deal, we actually had diplomatic contact with Iran for the first time in, what, 30 years?

Also, the United States should never say "Fuck off and keep the money." That's Donald Trump's fiscal policy. Not ours.

I'm pretty blown away with the sheer stupidity, and simple-mindedness of your posts. I'm sorry, I wish I could say it in a more round-about way, but I can't. You're either trolling, or have zero grasp of how anything works in the real world. Your solution is really "Why not just tell them to fuck off" when this is part of a massive nuclear deal? And when is the right time to make this payment, when the Middle-East is magically stable? Christ.

It's hard to tell what people will think of Trump in the debates. They will have SUPER low expectations because he's an idiot and a buffoon. You'd think it would be easy to make a decent impression when expectations hover between 'basic subject-verb agreement' and 'hasn't threatened someone personally in the last ten minutes.

On the other hand the country might just be sick and tired of him and nothing he says means anything. It might be a bit of both-Trump leaning Rs might feel better about their candidate after the debate, but he winds up being even more anathema to white educated suburbanites.

edit: Regarding the Iran cash-that money isn't so much about the Iran's nuke program as it is saying to everyone else in the world that the US honors its obligations, no matter how long or strange the road was to get to the point of doing so.

Tubie

You just answered your own question.

Because it was their money, and it makes sense to give it back now that we're trying to normalize relations with them.

I'm pretty blown away with the sheer stupidity, and simple-mindedness of your posts. I'm sorry, I wish I could say it in a more round-about way, but I can't. You're either trolling, or have zero grasp of how anything works in the real world. Your solution is really "Why not just tell them to fuck off" when this is part of a massive nuclear deal? And when is the right time to make this payment, when the Middle-East is magically stable? Christ.
No need to reply in this manner. Three people replied at the bottom of the last page without resorting to dumping on me.

pigeon

Banned

I mean, it's clear he's posting in bad faith. People should stop engaging with him.

I guess what's striking is that right now she's probably up only a little bit more than Obama beat McCain, and yet she's up in states that Obama lost, like Georgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom