• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
lmao @ Trump's economic team. Bunch of rich cranks. No women. 1 economist.

Great jobs numbers. So good, in fact, I think this pretty much solidifies Clinton's position going into the election. Pretty sure Aug/Sept will end up being solid too and that means people aren't going to be freaking out in the economy.

Olympic games tonight so I expect at least the next week to be quiet...but then again it is Trump.

that urban/rural/suburban mix is exactly what is scary about polling

Tk4grZV.gif

What are you talking about?

Why does it seem like you're only capable of concern trolling?

All of those breakdowns are extremely good news for clinton. Losing by such a small margin among suburban voters and dominating urban! That's most of the population locked up!

that's like 85% of the population, innit?

It's weird hearing how Trumps people are saying they are basically going to force companies to either stop outsourcing or stop buying products for cheap. These are the same people who say government regulations don't work.

I mean I think this applies to many liberals as well who think they can roll back globalization.

I mean, you can completely remove every race-related issue out of the equation and Trump has still done more than enough to justify objective condemnation by society at large. Trump's deplorable behavior is unbecoming of basic human decency let alone our actual context of electing the friggin President of the United States. This is not a liberal bias problem, it transcends politics and is acknowledge by people of all countries, political persuasions, and positions in government/industry.

We are talking about someone who literally argued that Cruz's father was involved in the JFK assassination. We now have to accept the fact that we live in a world where that was not immediately disqualifying and that the person who uttered it actually won the nomination. The idea that we should entertain analogies of cults and accompanying psychological disorders in this context is horrifying to me. Bad people exist, they are not all good people with mental problems (I'd argue that does more to infantilize and remove agency and responsibility from people than shaming does).

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Diamond Joe keeps winning.

Biden is always the best. (Well second best to the Islamic Shock, but still)

I think this is a fiction spread by people who don't want to acknowledge that America was literally founded on racism and people loved it so much they tried to found a second country out of America because they were afraid their freedom of racism was going to be restricted. Like, this theory imagines that American white nationalism sprang up sui generis in the last eight years rather than being so powerful that it literally took over half the country 150 years ago.

I have more on this but I'm on my phone.

However I understand why Hillary doesn't necessarily want to mount that argument right now. I can see Cybit's pivot towards whiteness happening, though.

A) Don't be so sure about the "founded on racism" bit - it was founded on oppression, but not just of slaves. (Basically, like almost every other country ever freaking founded). This has been going on since they started sending people over to North America in the 1600s. (The context of who was sent in that era to the US makes people complaining about America taking refugees from other countries sound even more hypocritical)

Book Review below from the Atlantic goes into further detail

EDIT: Well, that didn't work. Folks can read the article about the explanation of the oppression bit.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/09/the-original-underclass/492731/

Isenberg’s history is a bracing reminder of the persistent contempt for the white underclass, but you will have to look elsewhere for insights into why the condition of this class has taken a turn for the worse—and what its members think of themselves, and of the elites who have trashed them for so long.

Conclusion of the article is a pretty interesting bit

Except they are now further out of sight than ever. As Isenberg documents, the lower classes have been disregarded and shunted off for as long as the United States has existed. But the separation has grown considerably in recent years. The elite economy is more concentrated than ever in a handful of winner-take-all cities—as Phillip Longman recently noted in the Washington Monthly, the per capita income of Washington, D.C., in 1980 was 29 percent above the average for Americans as a whole; in 2013, that figure was 68 percent. In the Bay Area, per capita income jumped from 50 percent to 88 percent above average over that period; in New York, from 80 percent to 172 percent. As these gaps have grown, the highly educated have become far more likely than those lower down the ladder to move in search of better-paying jobs.

The clustering is intensifying within regions, too. Since 1980, the share of upper-income households living in census tracts that are majority upper-income, rather than scattered throughout more mixed-income neighborhoods, has doubled. The upper echelon has increasingly sought comfort in prosperous insularity, withdrawing its abundant social capital from communities that relied on that capital’s overflow, and consolidating it in oversaturated enclaves.

So why are white Americans in downwardly mobile areas feeling a despair that appears to be driving stark increases in substance abuse and suicide? In my own reporting in Vance’s home ground of southwestern Ohio and ancestral territory of eastern Kentucky, I have encountered racial anxiety and antagonism, for sure. But far more striking is the general aura of decline that hangs over towns in which medical-supply stores and pawn shops dominate decrepit main streets, and Victorians stand crumbling, unoccupied. Talk with those still sticking it out, the body-shop worker and the dollar-store clerk and the unemployed miner, and the fatalism is clear: Things were much better in an earlier time, and no future awaits in places that have been left behind by polished people in gleaming cities. The most painful comparison is not with supposedly ascendant minorities—it’s with the fortunes of one’s own parents or, by now, grandparents. The demoralizing effect of decay enveloping the place you live cannot be underestimated. And the bitterness—the “primal scorn”—that Donald Trump has tapped into among white Americans in struggling areas is aimed not just at those of foreign extraction. It is directed toward fellow countrymen who have become foreigners of a different sort, looking down on the natives, if they bother to look at all.

As for "pivoting towards whiteness"; I'm not even sure what that really means, but I guess I'll point out that I grew up in the middle of nowhere Midwest - so I've never generally had the "typical" Asian views that someone who grew up on the coasts or even in a large city would have. It's kind of what attracted me to the Democrats - the acceptance of diversity in all forms. To most of the people I've met in Seattle; I'm a hick.

If it means that I'm bearish on trying to shame other people as a first option out of self-righteousness and laziness, and that I'd rather choose empathy over scorn as a first option, then I'll happily join POTUS on the "pivot towards whiteness".

I mean, I get what you're saying. But, at the same time, there's something to be said for not alienating people...even if they deserve it. Like, yes, if you are supporting Trump you're either for white nationalism or you're ambivalent towards it. Neither is morally acceptable, and both deserve condemnation. And, ya, these people should be called out on it.

But, at the same time, I think there's something to be said for taking a tactful, thoughtful approach in explaining to these people why it's not okay to blame "the other" for their problem. Immediately throwing words like racist/sexist/homophobic/bigot no matter how well they earned them, no matter how accurate they are, no matter how much they deserve them...is not the way to win an election.

Should it be the way? ABSOLUTELY. Do I find it uncomfortable that we have to toe this line? ABSOLUTELY.

But, at the end of the day, I want to win. I think acknowledging people's pain (when it's actual pain and not just bigotry) and explaining to them how "Yes, you have fallen through the cracks. But blaming women, Muslims, and Immigrants is NOT the way to solve it" is a preferable path to saying "You feel this way? You're a white nationalist. Go away."

More or less this. I guess watching Obama in '04 when he was going through Southern IL (home to many of those who might vote Trump now); I saw what even just a basic level of empathy, understanding, and willingness to remind each other that we're all in this together can accomplish. (I think we got something like 15% of the white nationalist vote in southern IL. It was kind of funny)

You don't toe the line just because you want to win though; you toe the line because all of us, 40 years from now, are probably going to be the ignorant, racist, conservative old geese that we make fun of now who don't understand the modern world. We toe the line because, flipping the situation, we'd want someone to hear us out.

No one is talking about accepting it. That's not even close to what anyone is saying.

What a lot of us are arguing is that you'll only get so far with shame based attacks or critiques. If someone is supporting Trump because they feel the economy has left them behind, what we need to do is show them that, while this may be the case, blaming it on the brown people, women, and Immigrants is not the answer. Simply jumping from that to "Well you support a white nationalist" is not the way to win these people over.

We can simultaneously say "The hateful rhetoric of Trump is unacceptable and indefensible" while also recognizing and attempting to address some of the underlying causes.

This doesn't require us to accept, tolerate or validate hateful rhetoric, white nationalism or anything else. It requires us to engage in a different way. To try to explain that while their concerns may be justified, their reactions to these concerns are not.

that would be great if we didn't have countless studies that show appealing to reason in politics changes no one's mind.

A) You can also appeal to emotion in a personal way - relationships tend to be how people actually change their minds.

B) Jury is still out on that, to be perfectly honest. The technological shift in communication means that many of the older studies might not fully apply to a generation that has been communicating with other people worldwide ever since they were born (though, disappointingly enough, it may have made things worse).

Then why bother participating in a discussion forum about it at all? Is it just intellectual masturbation? Seems like a waste of time to dismiss contrary opinions with a blanket statement of "well, we weren't going to change anyone's mind anyway."

It's moral masturbation more than anything if you are engaging about this under the belief that it is all really useless. You can have low expectations, sure, but under the belief that it is all pointless? Then it's moral / intellectual masturbation IMO.

Which may very well be true. I'm not disputing that. I don't have those numbers, but it doesn't surprise me that it is true.

What I'm saying is we have to make our argument better than whatever bull shit Trump is spewing. Can we do that for everyone? No. We can't. But should we try without immediately throwing labels back at them (even if they rightfully deserve them?) I think we should.

This was the argument Hillary was making today. The type of rhetoric Trump is spewing is not okay. It's not who we are. It's now what we're about. It's never okay. However, the fundamental pain and uncertainty that is often the root cause IS something we need to address and understand.

If the only way to deal with this anger is to deport every Muslim, ever immigrant and every gay from the country? Then too bad. Your pain means nothing, and you are a terrible person. (Universal you, obviously, not directed to anyone). But, if you're scared because you're working two jobs and making less than you were at the coal mine, if you haven't got a raise in a decade, if you're afraid for your families economic security...then let us lay out a plan to help you that doesn't belittle or demean other people.

It's the crux of her campaign "Stronger together." And I think we're well served to take that approach when trying to win over persuadable people.

Now people who are in it for the racism, misogyny, Islamophobia and all the rest? No. We do not and should not entertain those people. They deserve derision and shame.

Adam for the win again.

Dirty secret - there are way more persuadable people when it comes to certain areas. Enten showed back in 2014 that even if you had voter turnout in 2010 exactly match voter turnout in 2012; the Democrats still get their asses kicked up and down Congress.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-so-different-from-presidential-year-turnout/

It’s not that the demographic splits of voter turnout don’t matter. They worked in Republicans’ favor in 2010 and in Democrats’ favor in 2012; demographics just weren’t the reason either party won.

What really mattered was that voters changed their minds about which party they wanted to vote for. Look at the voting patterns of each group. Republican congressional candidates won white voters who were at least 30 years old by 25.9 points in 2010, but Mitt Romney won them by only 20.2 points in the presidential race in 2012. Obama’s margin among black voters 30 and older was 89.4 points in 2012, while House Democrats’ margin for this group was 79.1 points in 2010.

The part that people don't like to admit is that they don't really care about winning over folks to their side. They don't want to admit that there are persuadable people. It's a lot easier to go "my people perfect, other people terrible" and leave it at that. Maybe that's what people want. But the thing that has always stuck out about America to me is that its' ability to have such divergent views, people, ways of life, everything, and still be able to come together and function as a working country. Look at how much of a struggle the EU is going through. So it is important to me that we keep working on staying together and reminding ourselves of our empathy as well as our common goals and common beliefs - as hard as it may seem to find sometimes.

TL;DR - Wheaton's Law still applies, even in political conversations.

If Trump endorses Ryan. Does that actually hurt him later on if he tries to denounce/repudiate Trump? Seems like it would to me since he has been so spineless on everything else Trump has done. Would be spun immediately as a political move, and not a moral one.

I'd say the damage is already done. There's already enough material out there to make Ryan look like a coward who can't stand up to Trump or only wants to win his primary. At this point the endorsement is only about Trump appeasing the GOP establishment.

Anyway hopefully we'll see petty Trump today and he'll give some backhanded endorsement that doesn't really accomplish anything.

Also I need to figure out a way to get these garbage news sites out of my google searches. I tried to find the Hillary press conference that happened earlier today and I'm getting some news links talking about "no whites allowed at Hillary press conference?!"

“Donald Trump is Todd Akin. He is Richard Mourdock and Sharron Angle,” he said, referring to three infamous Republican Senate candidates who committed fatal verbal miscues. “But that is really not fair to Akin, Mourdock and Angle. They weren’t nuts. They had political views and others that made them unelectable. With Donald Trump, it is instability. He is an absurd candidate for president. He is a neutron bomb that has gone off in the Republican Party that is destroying anyone near him.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...us_57a4dd32e4b056bad2157ba0?mzhb9pyj9qiurqkt9

I don't know if we're quite there in terms of a full on implosion that destroys him for the rest of the campaign (since we have a while to go), but I'm curious to see what happens these next few weeks. This could lead to a constant and enduring polling bump for Clinton, though maybe not in the 9-15 range.

hawk2025

lmao @ Trump's economic team. Bunch of rich cranks. No women. 1 economist.

Great jobs numbers. So good, in fact, I think this pretty much solidifies Clinton's position going into the election. Pretty sure Aug/Sept will end up being solid too and that means people aren't going to be freaking out in the economy.

Olympic games tonight so I expect at least the next week to be quiet...but then again it is Trump.

And the 1 economist is from UC Irvine, lol

I joke, I don't know him, UC Irvine is a good school

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Thing is; Clinton has a point about the overclassification bit - but when she lied about the whole thing, that point got completely lost in the shuffle.

gcubed

Adam for the win again.

Dirty secret - there are way more persuadable people when it comes to certain areas. Enten showed back in 2014 that even if you had voter turnout in 2010 exactly match voter turnout in 2012; the Democrats still get their asses kicked up and down Congress.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-so-different-from-presidential-year-turnout/

The part that people don't like to admit is that they don't really care about winning over folks to their side. They don't want to admit that there are persuadable people. It's a lot easier to go "my people perfect, other people terrible" and leave it at that. Maybe that's what people want. But the thing that has always stuck out about America to me is that its' ability to have such divergent views, people, ways of life, everything, and still be able to come together and function as a working country. Look at how much of a struggle the EU is going through. So it is important to me that we keep working on staying together and reminding ourselves of our empathy as well as our common goals and common beliefs - as hard as it may seem to find sometimes.

TL;DR - Wheaton's Law still applies, even in political conversations.

i'm cutting a ton of stuff to focus on a piece where i think you are somehow misconstruing demographics for persuadable people. Nothing in that article points to persuadable people, it points to the fact that people in those groups that would adjust the number up or down didn't vote. The fact that the more dependable voters voted. It has nothing to do with people changing their minds between different elections

TBF, the entire article is built around a false premise

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
i'm cutting a ton of stuff to focus on a piece where i think you are somehow misconstruing demographics for persuadable people. Nothing in that article points to persuadable people, it points to the fact that people in those groups that would adjust the number up or down didn't vote. The fact that the more dependable voters voted. It has nothing to do with people changing their minds between different elections

uhh..

the actual article states, and I quote

It’s not that the demographic splits of voter turnout don’t matter. They worked in Republicans’ favor in 2010 and in Democrats’ favor in 2012; demographics just weren’t the reason either party won.6

What really mattered was that voters changed their minds about which party they wanted to vote for. Look at the voting patterns of each group. Republican congressional candidates won white voters who were at least 30 years old by 25.9 points in 2010, but Mitt Romney won them by only 20.2 points in the presidential race in 2012. Obama’s margin among black voters 30 and older was 89.4 points in 2012, while House Democrats’ margin for this group was 79.1 points in 2010.

The entire point of the article is that even if you switched raw voting totals for each group to match 2012, the GOP still wafflestomps the Dems, because those demographics switched who they were voting for.

Crocodile

It's one thing to have a conversation with someone you disagree with over issues of taxation, foreign policy or even healthcare. It's another to have a conversation with someone who either explicitly or implicitly thinks you at your core are an inferior human being for aspects of yourself that are out of your control (race, gender, orientation, identity, etc.). I can talk and explain and try to be sympathetic but I have a limit to how much I can put up with people who earnestly think I deserve to be shot, that half my family should be deported or barred from entry, assume you must be stupid/lazy (or become incredibly surprised when you are not), etc.

gcubed

uhh..

The entire point of the article is that even if you switched raw voting totals for each group to match 2012, the GOP still wafflestomps the Dems, because those demographics switched who they were voting for.

the article is completely built on a false premise, so i can see why its confusing. Its built on a premise that demographics changes are what drives elections, but ignores party turnout for ... some ungodly reason?

If you have more GOP voters shockingly, all demographic vote share changes.

Its a trash article, and shame on Enten for writing such drivel

uhh..

You don't seem to be getting his point at all.

his argument is that there were not more GOP voters suddenly, only fewer Democratic voters

basic math time: there are 100 GOP voters and 150 Dem voters in some random place, then in the midterm it's 100/100 instead, the percentage of GOP voters went up! the actual number did not

I'm on my second home and first child. I'm also a beach lover and surf 2 times a month roughly. I would have loved to grown up in the OC.
Ah yeah for surfing it's nice. But if you want to do anything past like 9pm it's not that great, the whole county shuts down pretty much. I love live music/club music so it's not for me.

plus the whole conformity stuff, zero soul. but I grew up around Irvine :p

Josh Barro with some hot takes

http://www.businessinsider.com/can-hillary-clinton-win-texas-2016-8

A new Atlanta Journal-Constitution poll out Friday has Hillary Clinton leading Donald Trump by 4 points in Georgia, a state Mitt Romney won by nearly 8 points in 2012. Two other polls right after the Democratic convention also showed the Georgia race close — one was tied, and the other showed Trump leading by 4.

But this poll is slightly more recent than those late July polls, and it's consistent with the national polling trend that shows Trump falling apart before our very eyes.

If things get just a little bit worse for Trump nationally, he could start losing a lot of states we normally think of as very safe for Republicans — not just Georgia, but states like Texas, South Carolina, and even Mississippi.

Even as he polls badly nationally, Trump is performing remarkably well among whites without a college degree, especially men. He's getting hammered among college-educated whites, especially women, and he's doing even worse with nonwhite voters than Republican nominees usually do.

Overall, these shifts hurt Trump more in some states than in others.

In a state like Pennsylvania, you can see these effects counterbalancing each other across regions. Trump's weakness with college-educated whites leads to him getting crushed in the suburbs of Philadelphia. (The recent Franklin & Marshall poll has him down by 40 points in those areas; Romney lost the region by just 9 points.) But that's partly offset by gains among working-class whites elsewhere in the state.

But in states like Georgia and Texas, white voters already vote overwhelmingly Republican, and Republicans depend on huge margins among whites to overcome the votes of large, heavily Democratic nonwhite populations. So if Trump loses support among college-educated white women in the suburbs of Atlanta and Dallas, not many high-school-educated white men are available for him to pick up, and upscale whites and nonwhite voters could form a majority coalition for Clinton.

Plus, Republican candidates have usually picked up a significant share of the Hispanic vote in Texas, meaning there is room for Trump to do worse than Romney among nonwhites in the state.

Incidentally, this pattern was part of the theory of how Trump could win a close election: He'd underperform a typical Republican in the South and the Plains states, but not by enough to lose electoral votes, and he'd overperform in the Rust Belt by enough to pick up states like Pennsylvania and Ohio. At a certain level of national support, Trump's overperformance with downscale whites would have tipped the map in his favor.

But the flip side of Trump's shakeup of demographic coalitions is what happens if he loses nationally by, say, 12 points — 8 points worse than Romney's loss four years ago. He won't underperform Romney that drastically in states like Pennsylvania, and he might even hold on to Indiana's 11 electoral votes. But he risks defeat by a coalition of minority voters and upscale whites in ordinarily safe Republican states in the South.

Romney won Texas by 16 points in 2012 while losing the whole country by 4, but Clinton does not need to win nationally by 20 points to have an excellent shot of winning Texas. A national margin in the low teens could do it.

Texas hasn't been publicly polled since June. I'm very interested to see the next poll.

thebloo

It's humorous, but I think a weak ad that doesn't prove anything, since he said most of these statements 8 years ago before Clinton was SoS, which is the period he's directing all his (mostly bullshit) criticisms at.

I agree. And it lends (a but of) credence that his opinion matters. And the whole campaign is that it doesn't. That he is not worth listening to.

Edit: Pence is talking about Hillary being establishment. Pence!! These guys are weird.

Pence is actually terrible at this. And also, they're really going to try and say that she claimed she is going to raise taxes on the middle class.

I think the fact that we're usually looking at a linear relationship like this one suggests that the kind of 'personal change' we hope for is much more driven by the change of generations than by generations changing their minds. You can see this more clearly in the gay marriage context.

People often joke about it, but waiting for older people to die is a large part of how cultural change works. Yes, individual generations can change their minds over time, but that effect is dwarfed by the shifts in generational thinking. People are much more static than we would like to think.

Gotchaye

I think the fact that we're usually looking at a linear relationship like this one suggests that the kind of 'personal change' we hope for is much more driven by the change of generations than by generations changing their minds. You can see this more clearly in the gay marriage context.

People often joke about it, but waiting for older people to die is basically how cultural change works. Yes, individual generations can change their minds over time, but that effect is dwarfed by the shifts in generational thinking.

This is a ~10% change in pro- opinion within each generation over about 5 years. The change here has been much, much faster than what we've seen with interracial marriage.

Edit: Looking at Gallup's plain "do you think gay marriage should be legal" poll, that's shifted by about 40 points in 10 years (-20 to +20). That's not generational change.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It wasn't even a slip. They're just straight making up what she said.

And it is really irritating me. This is blatant lying.

Also, how bad is Manafort if this is the route he's telling you to take? Seriously--this is all you have?

Chris Cillizza did not like Hillary's email answer!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...roblems/?postshare=3341470426125998&tid=ss_tw

Hillary Clinton has been dealing with questions about her decision to exclusively use a private email server while serving as Secretary of State for much of the last 17 months. You would think that, in all of that time, she would have found a handful of workable answers to the inevitable questions that decision raises. She hasn't.

The latest example came Friday in Washington when Clinton spoke and took questions at a gathering of the National Association of Black Journalists and National Association of Hispanic Journalists. When asked by NBC's Kristen Welker to explain why she keeps saying that FBI Director James Comey said all of her statements had been "truthful" despite the fact that isn't what he said, here's how Clinton responded.

Er, what?

What Clinton appears to be saying is that Comey said that everything she said to the FBI was truthful (he did) and since she said publicly exactly what she said to the FBI therefore everything she said was truthful. Her excuse for conflating the public and the private comments was accidental elision; "I may have short-circuited it" in the explanation to Chris Wallace on "Fox News Sunday," said Clinton.

The Post's Fact Checker looked into Clinton's claim and Comey's words. Here's what they found:

FBI Director James B. Comey did tell Congress: “We have no basis to conclude she lied to the FBI.” But lying to the FBI is a criminal act; it’s a rather low bar for truthfulness.

Clinton continues to twist this statement by Comey into a line that suggests the FBI declared that her public remarks on the email issues were truthful. But Comey repeatedly refused to confirm that when pressed by lawmakers: “That’s a question I’m not qualified to answer. I can speak about what she said to the FBI.”

The Fact Checker awarded Clinton Four Pinocchios for that line of logic.

The problem for Clinton is that her explanation relies entirely on the willingness of the public to trust her on the assertion that she told the FBI exactly what she said publicly. First off, that's almost impossible to know. Second, we have some evidence that contradicts Clinton's claim. Most notably, the idea -- which she reiterated again on Friday -- that she never sent anything marked classified from her email account. Comey has testified before Congress that she did. Here's his exchange with South Carolina Rep. Trey Gowdy, who chaired the House Select Committee on Benghazi:

GOWDY: Secretary Clinton said there was nothing marked classified on her emails either sent or received. Was that true?
COMEY: That’s not true.
GOWDY: Secretary Clinton said, “I did not email any classified material to anyone on my email. There is no classified material.” Was that true?
COMEY: There was classified material emailed.

So, there's that.

This is by now a very familiar pattern with Clinton when it comes to her email server. She simply refuses to acknowledge any misstep or wrongdoing beyond an initial poor decision to exclusively use a private email server for "convenience" sake. She continues to provide legalistic answers that touch the truth but aren't entirely the truth. As I have written many times before, a campaign is not a court. Public opinion is a different thing than the law. Clinton has never and seems to still not grasp that.

Teggy

Jon Ralston said:
12s
Jon Ralston‏ @RalstonReports
Trump calling Hillary "unhinged....she's like an unbalanced person." Sociopath, heal thyself.

We're going with "I know you are but what am I?"

East Lake

I mean, you can completely remove every race-related issue out of the equation and Trump has still done more than enough to justify objective condemnation by society at large. Trump's deplorable behavior is unbecoming of basic human decency let alone our actual context of electing the friggin President of the United States. This is not a liberal bias problem, it transcends politics and is acknowledge by people of all countries, political persuasions, and positions in government/industry.

We are talking about someone who literally argued that Cruz's father was involved in the JFK assassination. We now have to accept the fact that we live in a world where that was not immediately disqualifying and that the person who uttered it actually won the nomination. The idea that we should entertain analogies of cults and accompanying psychological disorders in this context is horrifying to me. Bad people exist, they are not all good people with mental problems (I'd argue that does more to infantilize and remove agency and responsibility from people than shaming does).
In the grand scheme of things are those traits worse than what we've got with the average conservative? You know if Trump won there'd be endless opinion articles lamenting how George W and other "moderate" republicans look respectable in hindsight. So we know Trump doesn't show basic respect for people like McCain or reporters with disabilities and his personality is dangerous in his own idiosyncratic way, but George W and moderate republicans arguably had a hand in expanding terror through the iraq invasion, had policies that blew up the economy and had odd, fundamentalist beliefs of his own.

Joeytj

Banned
Which may very well be true. I'm not disputing that. I don't have those numbers, but it doesn't surprise me that it is true.

What I'm saying is we have to make our argument better than whatever bull shit Trump is spewing. Can we do that for everyone? No. We can't. But should we try without immediately throwing labels back at them (even if they rightfully deserve them?) I think we should.

This was the argument Hillary was making today. The type of rhetoric Trump is spewing is not okay. It's not who we are. It's now what we're about. It's never okay. However, the fundamental pain and uncertainty that is often the root cause IS something we need to address and understand.

If the only way to deal with this anger is to deport every Muslim, ever immigrant and every gay from the country? Then too bad. Your pain means nothing, and you are a terrible person. (Universal you, obviously, not directed to anyone). But, if you're scared because you're working two jobs and making less than you were at the coal mine, if you haven't got a raise in a decade, if you're afraid for your families economic security...then let us lay out a plan to help you that doesn't belittle or demean other people.

It's the crux of her campaign "Stronger together." And I think we're well served to take that approach when trying to win over persuadable people.

Now people who are in it for the racism, misogyny, Islamophobia and all the rest? No. We do not and should not entertain those people. They deserve derision and shame.

This good. This is very good.

And I agree that the Clintons have a unique capacity to engage with white America in ways Obama couldn't, I remember seeing it during the 08 primary.

Her strategy back then seemed desperate and even racist, because she new that African-Americans had abandoned her and white (and Latinos) where that was left, she had no choice but to appeal to Appalachia and the Rust Belt whites, but what scared Obama supporters like me was just how well she did it, both her and Bill really did look like they cared about those voters in ways Obama, a fault of his, couldn't show during the primaries (I know he can connect to them, his Senate race in Illinois showed it).

If Hillary (and Bill, and Kaine) can tap into that same small segment of the population and pull even some of them away from Trump, a landslide isn't out of the picture for November.

I honestly don't understand what answer would satisfy people about the emails.

The logic she's using is not that hard to follow, and people seem to be conflating her saying things that weren't true with her lying. Those are two different things, and given the amount of email s(3 out of 30k) it doesn't seem like that far of a stretch to connect those dots.

It was a shitty answer that still doesn't put this to bed. Clinton is in the right on the details on a lot of this, but she needs a short, concise answer. I know she's admitted wrong doing, but just do it again and leave it at that.

You seem to know the facts. What should she say? Short and concise? Why is that the measure of a truthful or satisfactory answer?

hawk2025

In the grand scheme of things are those traits worse than what we've got with the average conservative? You know if Trump won there'd be endless opinion articles lamenting how George W and other "moderate" republicans look respectable in hindsight. So we know Trump doesn't show basic respect for people like McCain or reporters with disabilities and his personality is dangerous in his own idiosyncratic way, but George W and moderate republicans arguably had a hand in expanding terror through the iraq invasion, had policies that blew up the economy and had odd, fundamentalist beliefs of his own.

The obvious difference you are not addressing, of course, is that we haven't observed a Trump presidency.

There's simply no way to compare what W did with power to what Trump said as a candidate.

But to try to answer the question -- Yes, they are worse traits. How they would actually impact decision making compared to a bog-standard Republican is a matter we hopefully won't get to verify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom