• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

This is literally the dumbest plan on the planet.

The American people pay more, the Mexican economy tanks and thus more Mexicans scramble to come to America.

Everyone gets fucked.

Sibylus

Banned
is anyone working on a timeline? it's been 6 days and uh, it might be good to have one.

IIRC the Nazis assumed complete control after receiving the chancellery... in four months? I think Trump's administration could be cinders (in the wake of a number of new wars) before we even reach that point.

Grexeno

I imagine Congress would need to pass it, so the Dems could likely filibuster without much trouble. The tax might be subject to reconciliation depending on how the math shakes out though.
But do we really want to pass up a chance to allow Trump to torpedo the economy of his own volition?

Maybe this import tax is actually a petty bully attempt on an old victim
980x.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
But do we really want to pass up a chance to allow Trump to torpedo the economy of his own volition?

Yes.

Also, it looks like the Byrd Rule would apply in this case. It looks like changes in the tax code can't be passed in reconciliation (depending entirely on where the bill originates).

Paul Ryan will pretend Trump means that he wants a border adjustment (which wouldn't really increase net revenue at all and thus makes no sense with the idea of "paying for the wall") and then Trump will call it a tariff again and this will keep going until Trump shits in Paul Ryan's mouth to stop him from calling it a border adjustment when it's not.

Spicer's explanation of the tax was extremely confused and made no sense (perfect spokesman for Trump!)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I imagine Congress would need to pass it, so the Dems could likely filibuster without much trouble. The tax might be subject to reconciliation depending on how the math shakes out though.
It's either that or kill the filibuster, which I know some Republican senators are against. Maybe it's inevitable with the upcoming Supreme Court nominee. It all depends on how badly the Republicans want to get that wall built.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's either that or kill the filibuster, which I know some Republican senators are against. Maybe it's evitable with the upcoming Supreme Court nominee.

Looking into the rules a bit closer, I haven't really taken a good look since the ACA passed, since it's a tax the Byrd Rule may apply and they might not be able to get it through using reconciliation. So it should be blockable using the filibuster, but don't quote me.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I really want Texas to be so revolted by Trump's actions Cruz loses in the midterms, but I know that's just a fantasy.

If Trump's comments before the election are any indication, he's going to be gunning for Cruz's head himself. I wouldn't be shocked by a well-funded primary challenge.

I really want Texas to be so revolted by Trump's actions Cruz loses in the midterms, but I know that's just a fantasy.

I do believe we have the votes here to do it. It would take good turn out for Dems and liberals but also would take some conservatives feeling the need to not vote, which might happen because their biggest wet dream is happening right now.

Dierce

Theresa May talking about liberal, open societies during her visit to Trump... Somebody help, I think here is some n-th dimensional irony going on here that I simply cannot wrap my head around.

I think they are trying to appropriate the word liberalism or simply rewrite reality.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
So, not even going to bother with the "new nuclear arms reduction agreement" pretense? Just going to say "fuck it"?

Aight

sphagnum

Banned
Lol this 20% import tax is nuts. Is he TRYING to cause the rest of the public to turn on him?

I guess we'll find out what is more motivating to his voters: money or white supremacy

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
If Trump's comments before the election are any indication, he's going to be gunning for Cruz's head himself. I wouldn't be shocked by a well-funded primary challenge.
That' a good point, but if Cruz goes along with the wall and everything else, wouldn't he leave him alone?
I do believe we have the votes here to do it. It would take good turn out for Dems and liberals but also would take some conservatives feeling the need to not vote.
My only hope for Texas stems from how Hillary performed there in November.

Hillary ended up receiving ~70k less votes than Obama and doing worse in 34 states. In those 34 states she had ~2.4 million fewer votes. She made up most of those lost votes in California (900k) and Texas (560k). Now, I'm going to assume Democrats did not put a ton of resources in Texas compared to the traditional swing states, so I take it that many people in Texas, mostly Latino, rejected Trump.

The population of Texas is growing far faster than any other state. If demographics increasingly favor Democrats, Trump's actions disproportionately negatively impact the state and Democrats allocate money toward it, I think they have a real chance of picking up seats in the future, gerrymandering or not.

LMFAO at Dan Patrick on fox right now, trying to justify the 20% tax.

"It won't come down to that."

... isn't it the second best outcome for mexico then not "mexico not paying for the wall?"

Trumps plan is to tax Americans for buying Mexican.

Maledict

Theresa May talking about liberal, open societies during her visit to Trump... Somebody help, I think here is some n-th dimensional irony going on here that I simply cannot wrap my head around.

She's trying to appeal to people back home. Despite what some people think, Trump is ridiculously disliked over here by both right and left. She has to be seen to make a success of this as need something to counter the moronic suicide that is Brexit, but at the same time she can't just pander to Trump like we would to a normal USA president.

Gruco

Banned
In all probability, yes.

But then again, we told everyone Trump would start a trade war but no one believed anyone could be that dumb.

TBH I genuinely have no idea why people didn't take this threat more seriously in November. Certainly, at least, no one has any business being surprised but what has been going on. Everything is completely keeping in character. I guess it was just complacency in him not being able to win?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom