• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

I feel like all those YA books like Hunger Games and Divergent were written 5 years too soon. They'd probably sell even better now.

mo60

That' a good point, but if Cruz goes along with the wall and everything else, wouldn't he leave him alone?

My only hope for Texas stems from how Hillary performed there in November.

Hillary ended up receiving ~70k less votes than Obama and doing worse in 34 states. In those 34 states she had ~2.4 million fewer votes. She made up most of those lost votes in California (900k) and Texas (560k). Now, I'm going to assume Democrats did not put a ton of resources in Texas compared to the traditional swing states, so I take it that many people in Texas, mostly Latino, rejected Trump.

The population of Texas is growing far faster than any other state. If demographics increasingly favor Democrats, Trump's actions disproportionately negatively impact the state and Democrats allocate money toward it, I think they have a real chance of picking up seats in the future, gerrymandering or not.

Some moderate republican women also switched sides in texas. Hilary was able to win fort bend county by like 6 points because of this.

TBH I genuinely have no idea why people didn't take this threat more seriously in November. Certainly, at least, no one has any business being surprised but what has been going on. Everything is completely keeping in character. I guess it was just complacency in him not being able to win?

Only 3% of America cares about trade or has any idea about what the effects of trade are.

They will care if prices go up a lot, but not until then.

But yeah, Trump has stayed pro-tariff for his entire political life so the stock market pretending this won't happen shows that most traders are a joke with no brains.

kirblar

How do you short the Dow?
I feel like all those YA books like Hunger Games and Divergent were written 5 years too soon. They'd probably sell even better now.
They're part of the problem! "Pure" country girl beating up all those wimpy effeminate Capitol people? Think about that narrative for a second.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I'm trying to decide at which point we can start to read Trump's rants about urban violence as calls for state-managed ethnic cleansing. Is he already there?

sphagnum

Banned
So uh

20% tax on all imports

Will Ryan finally grow some kind of spine? The GOP would get annihilated in 2018 if that happened.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm trying to decide at which point we can start to read Trump's rants about urban violence as calls for state-managed ethnic cleansing. Is he already there?

Give him another week and a half. He's almost there, but not quite yet.

So uh

20% tax on all imports

Will Ryan finally grow some kind of spine? The GOP would get annihilated in 2018 if that happened.

Spine? HA!

Dude got told about the Russians hacking the DNC back in August and didn't do shit. No, wait. He did do something, he used some of that info to attack democrats in tight races.

Chumley

Banned

Yes

This should be repeated constantly: he is a 70 year old sociopath who has always been without ethics or morals, only interested in praise. It does not matter an inch to him what he has to do to get praise. If enough people he cares about want him to start lining up and executing minorities, he'll do it. He'll also burn down the entire country if he feels wronged by it in any way, at any moment.

I wouldn't rely on the GOP to do anything, but I also don't understand their long term game here because a country that is completely falling apart is kinda bad for business, right? You'd think they'd want less chaos and more "controlled burn."

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
So uh

20% tax on all imports

No because they are finally in charge. They will fill their pockets.

Already there wait for tonight when he has his Trump New interview. Oh wait I mean Fox News. Hannity will give him a softball and it will be a grand slam for the public.

Hate to make up odd theories I think Bannon planned that interview and what he said for tonight. They aren't morons like we think.

So uh

20% tax on all imports

Pretty sure this can't happen through reconciliation so they would need (many) Dems.

Cory Booker and neoliberalism about to save the day once again.

Spicer's explanation makes no sense whatsoever so we should probably wait and see what the bill actually is though.

Kusagari

I bet Ryan and the rest are surprised at this amount of fuckery though.

We all underestimated Trump again. He isn't delegating work at all. He's going full on madness without listening to anyone.

sphagnum

Banned
Trump's a guy who eats 36 dollar hamburgers, he probably has no concept of how food price increases would affect the common man.

Not that he cares anyway.

I bet Ryan and the rest are surprised at this amount of fuckery though.

We all underestimated Trump again. He isn't delegating work at all. He's going full on madness without listening to anyone.

I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere is having conversations about impeachment. If Trump isn't listening to anyone but Bannon and his cronies they have nothing to lose other than angering Trump's base, and I think they'd be able to make it look like they were the good guys for getting rid of him and putting in Pence.

Teggy

Maggie Haberman trying to compare Bannon calling the entire media the enemy on day 1 to Obama doing the same to FOX news after years of birtherism and lies. SMH.

I don't think the GOP would kill the filibuster over this because it's electoral suicide but I don't see what the motivation in keeping it is. Our government design is terrible enough already and requiring a large majority in the most unrepresentative branch of government is an important way to make it worse.

thefro

I don't think the GOP would kill the filibuster over this because it's electoral suicide but I don't see what the motivation in keeping it is. Our government design is terrible enough already and requiring a large majority in the most unrepresentative branch of government is an important way to make it worse.

McConnell and a lot of the old-timers know there's a backlash coming.

Also if the Dems have zero power they can't blame them for stuff not working.

I was thinking of that time he ditched the press pool to go have dinner at a restaurant near Trump Tower and that's what he got IIRC

But it's not like he would know the price of a McDonald's hamburger, that's what Christie exists to fetch for.

He also likes his steaks the consistency of shoe leather. I don't think he understands the cost of food at all though on a quality and quantity basis.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
They're lies. Objective lies. I am sick and fucking tired even trying to comprehend his voters.

You can't understand his voters fuck I am friends with some and some of my family is as well. Shit sucks. They can't understand a lie when they get it. Making new terms up for a lie.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
How do you short the Dow?

Back in 2009 I made a little money using stock ticker QID, which is a fine choice for those that don't want to care about options and futures to do the shorts themselves. But I would note that the math for the leverage does not work out when there's volatility, since the market halving and then doubling would leave you at 25% loss.

Always made me wonder if it's better to short QID instead of go long on the market if you're feeling bullish.

On Wikipedia under invertebrate

C3IJ3MTXEAAQzPC.jpg:large

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Just realized a relatively safe option to be bearish on the market could be the VIX, which is at a floor with an all time low.

I guess the VXX which is the ETF for it doesn't look as good, but seems like a good buy to me arround now.

Gruco

Banned
Quid pro quo.

Weren't the EU sanctions more important though?

Regardless, this is just transparently awful. No idea how the republican congress can let it slide.

Why does Sean Spicer still have a job

He's warming the seat until Omarosa is ready.

As an aside, do people really think Trump's support in the country is so great that there's going to be a civil war or he's just going to take over? I don't think there's a very significant number of people who'd love Trump enough to do that.

antonz

Was to be expected. He has to move somewhat fast on sanctions because of that bill being passed around that would require to get congressional approval before the President could lift the sanctions.

Its all falling together for Putin perfectly. They arrested the likely source who fed the CIA,FBI etc. data. Bannon openly talks about Trump reaching out internationally to other "populist" movements. Which I am sure we all know will be ones Russia backs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom