• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

I'm not suggesting you're wrong, but if that's the logic they use--using Trump as an example of what is morally, ethically and reasonably justified--then we're even more fucked than I thought.

Countries like Italy have been going around sanctions where they can. I mean they sold boats directly to Crimea etc. Merkel is the backbone of the EU right now and she is going to be under increasingly harsher attack from fake news etc. to weaken her and Germany.

Sanctions are doomed. At this point Eastern Europe should consider forming a Defensive Bloc. Poland, Lithuania and Ukraine have started down that path

Chumley

Banned
Trump is a moron. Bannon, most assuredly, is not.

If Trump were as intelligent as Hitler, I'd say Bannon has already won and authoritarianism is not a matter of if but when. The only reason Bannon will not get what he wants is because Trump will end up fucking this all up in a catastrophic way because he has a personality disorder.

_dazed

Maybe this has been discussed ad naseum but why aren't Americans more vocal over article 2 section 3 of the constitution?

...The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct. The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every thirty Thousand,..

seems to me that would solve a lot of problems with this divided country?

just to do the math,

31890000 / 30000 = 10630 - 435 = 10195 we are missing

I guess most people will think we don't need more government. but we wouldn't have an issue of representatives that are permanently safe because any middle class citizen could raise the money to campaign to a paltry 30k people.

Hyoukokun

Maybe this has been discussed ad naseum but why aren't Americans more vocal over article 2 section 3 of the constitution?

just to do the math,

I guess most people will think we don't need more government. but we wouldn't have an issue of representatives that are permanently safe because any middle class citizen could raise the money to campaign to a paltry 30k people.

"shall not exceed" - so it only applies an upper limit, not a lower limit. I am not sure that throwing more people at the problem of government here would solve much, and it would create massive logistical challenges.

_dazed

presumably turn over would be high, but it would return the power to the common citizenry instead of people wealthy enough to raise the funds to campaign. On top of that it would reduce the power any one rep has because there are way more of them.

To think one issue. the f-35 is spread around 200ish districts because it creates jobs making it difficult for reps to counter it. Could they do that to 5k district?

faisal233

He's stillllllllllllllll on the inauguration attendance? Christ.Aaaahahahahaha

His idiocy isn't going to hurt him that much more right now, but the narrative for a major govt failure after a disaster is being set right now. I can just sense his Katrina is coming sooner than later, and its going to be brutal. Too bad for all the people who have to suffer for his incompetence though.

just to do the math,

The Congressional Apportionment Amendment was one state away from being ratified 200 years ago. You can thank Delaware.

I personally am in favor of a larger House of Representatives, though I'm not totally sure how large. But the fact that the House doesn't grow with population is pretty problematic.

_dazed

"shall not exceed" - so it only applies an upper limit, not a lower limit. I am not sure that throwing more people at the problem of government here would solve much, and it would create massive logistical challenges.

how does it make logistical challenges? pose a vote, rep ssh's into some machine and sends a paper ballot for any potential security issues and passes a vote. The need for a building is overrated?

as for costs, they are paid 5x the media income, drop that to 2x and it pays for a bunch of em.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Would it solve gerrymandering?

It seems like it would, though maybe it'd make it even worse. I don't know enough about the math and science of it to say for sure.

UberTag

His idiocy isn't going to hurt him that much more right now, but the narrative for a major govt failure after a disaster is being set right now. I can just sense his Katrina is coming sooner than later, and its going to be brutal. Too bad for all the people who have to suffer for his incompetence though.
How is FEMA's funding right now? Has it been tampered with at all over the past week?

The Congressional Apportionment Amendment was one state away from being ratified 200 years ago. You can thank Delaware.

I personally am in favor of a larger House of Representatives, though I'm not totally sure how large. But the fact that the House doesn't grow with population is pretty problematic.

The easiest method to me that would make the House more representative would be to just commensurate districts to Wyoming (smallest population). When asking the question "How many Reps does this state get?" you just ask "How many Wyomings are there in this state?"

Hell, even red states get ripped off without this. My home state of Mississippi has 5 times the population of Wyoming, but only 4 Reps to their 1.

Parshias7

But guys, didn't you know that Trump's speech at the CIA got him the biggest standing ovation since Peyton Manning won the Super Bowl? It lasted for a long period of time.

These are actual words that came out of Donald Trump's face hole. And just think: 47% of voters looked at the verbal diarrhea that comes out of this man's mouth and thought, "yeah, I'd like that guy to be President."

_dazed

Would it solve gerrymandering?

It seems like it would, though maybe it'd make it even worse. I don't know enough about the math and science of it to say for sure.

seems to me it is like having X number of pixels to represent an image. More pixels is going to reveal a better image of what the people actually want. As more people exist you need more pixels to see differences in that info. This is especially important because people aren't even distributed in a straight line. Gerrymandering is like applying anti aliasing except in reverse. instead of soothing the image it makes it more jagged.

The easiest method to me that would make the House more representative would be to just commensurate districts to Wyoming (smallest population). When asking the question "How many Reps does this state get?" you just ask "How many Wyomings are there in this state?"

Hell, even red states get ripped off without this. My home state of Mississippi has 5 times the population of Wyoming, but only 4 Reps to their 1.

Yeah, this always made sense to me too. Although I'd prefer the population per rep to be about half of that (so 250-300k ish)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
seems to me it is like having X number of pixels to represent an image. More pixels is going to reveal a better image of what the people actually want. As more people exist you need more pixels to see differences in that info. This is especially important because people aren't even distributed in a straight line. Gerrymandering is like applying anti aliasing except in reverse. instead of soothing the image it makes it more jagged.

My worry is that you have house by house data on voter registration and turnout. So when you have to group a lot of them together it might be harder to draw than grouping that meets your mathmatical sweet spot instead of just a few. The result could be way less jaggies when looked at from afar, but still the same lack of equal representation.

It's just something I would like comfirmation from an expert on this before declaring outright. But it would be a great way to combat gerrymandering if democrats get the trifecta but not enough for constitutional admendments

What a fucking joke.

YfrCfHJ.png

_dazed

Basically i am looking for an argument as to why more reps would be bad for reasons other than becuase it would be expensive. If we are a republic, making the representatives as answerable to the citizens as possible should be the goal. Even in blue states I know a bunch of people that say stuff to the effect of " I dislike my rep but hes a democrat so I don't do anything".

If someone doesn't need a ton of money to reach the constituents the election would be way more vibrant with idea. Which I think would encourage people to pay attention to the elections ("my vote DOES MATTER!") which would lead to, I think, a way stronger republic. Why are we 20x away from 30k and even worse not tied to any sort of population increase? Surely a reason other than no one felt like fighting for something better.

My worry is that you have house by house data on voter registration and turnout. So when you have to group a lot of them together it might be harder to draw than grouping that meets your mathmatical sweet spot instead of just a few. The result could be way less jaggies when looked at from afar, but still the same lack of equal representation.

It's just something I would like comfirmation from an expert on this before declaring outright. But it would be a great way to combat gerrymandering if democrats get the trifecta but not enough for constitutional admendments

I am not trying to argue about gerrymandering. if there is a city block with 30k+ people in it, why doesn't that one blockhave its own rep?

Put in another way At the founding of this country, the citizens were way better represented, 61,500 people per rep to the 700,000 it is now.

NeoXChaos

Basically i am looking for an argument as to why more reps would be bad for reasons other than becuase it would be expensive. If we are a republic, making the representatives as answerable to the citizens as possible should be the goal. Even in blue states I know a bunch of people that say stuff to the effect of " I dislike my rep but hes a democrat so I don't do anything".

If someone doesn't need a ton of money to reach the constituents the election would be way more vibrant with idea. Which I think would encourage people to pay attention to the elections ("my vote DOES MATTER!") which would lead to, I think, a way stronger republic. Why are we 20x away from 30k and even worse not tied to any sort of population increase? Surely a reason other than no one felt like fighting for something better.

Kublur mentioned a while back that a law was passed to prevent the house from growing in size. I am unsure of the exact details as to why but it was surely short sighted at the time.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Parts of the Hannity interview are coming out. More fake news shit.

C3I15NnWIAA6atC.jpg

https://twitter.com/jessebyrnes/status/824781456866234369

They didn't treat Obama like this.
"I pay great homage to the wall with the stars."

Next time try paying your respect to what those stars represent, not the wall itself.

When did this become a thing? Hannity says WikiLeaks proved that Facebook, Twitter, Instagram were working with Hillary?

Seriously, where the fuck is the reset button on this universe?

Think about the actual physical problems that would come from having literally thousands of representatives. It would be insane to try and have serious debate, put people in committees, manage your House caucus.

Much better than that is to ditch districts all together and make the House a list PR vote! Also get rid of the presidency and the Senate.

Things are going south so fast right now I have to wonder straight up if we'd be in a better place if Mitt Romney had won 2012.

Mitt winning wouldn't have been good for the country, but at least he wouldn't be fucking evil.

Think about the actual physical problems that would come from having literally thousands of representatives. It would be insane to try and have serious debate, put people in committees, manage your House caucus.

Much better than that is to ditch districts all together and make the House a list PR vote! Also get rid of the presidency and the Senate.

Counterpoint: we live in the 21st century and elected officials don't actually need to be in the same physical building to do their job. Why can't they just work from their home district office using the technology we have available?

not actually that good of an idea

Counterpoint: we live in the 21st century and elected officials don't actually need to be in the same physical building to do their job. Why can't they just work from their home district office using the technology we have available?

Even if we use the internet, imagine several hundred (if not a thousand, depending on how much we're scaling this) in a committee. How will anything get done? How will anything get managed?

seriously PR voting fixes like every major problem with unrepresentative legislatures

_dazed

why is this a bad idea. have any vote be sent via multiple methods (internet, paper, morse code, you get the idea) as long as they match it would be good. I am sure there are all sort of protocols that have been made for making sure a message is correct. Afterall the representative is there to vote according to his district, not the wishes of any political party.

Even if we use the internet, imagine several hundred (if not a thousand, depending on how much we're scaling this) in a committee. How will anything get done? How will anything get managed?

seriously PR voting fixes like every major problem with unrepresentative legislatures

Don't know, but The People will have the power.

And to be fair, it's not like the current system is really accomplishing a whole lot :lol (it'd look downright productive compared to a house with thousands of members, though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom