• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely had the "there's no real difference between these two" attitude in 2000, but I wasn't quite old enough to vote anyway. You better be sure that in 2004 there was no hesitation in my decision to vote for Kerry.

Resisting authoritarianism is a wee bit larger in scope than making a competitive organ to the tea party. Like, a lil bit. Lil bit bigger than 2020 too.

Ehhh. I'm making a comment based on a movement that seems to be forming compared to what the Tea Party's ideals were, not necessarily ascribing scope to said movement.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Btw Mexico can refuse to sell avocados, tequila and limes to the US, China can buy them, and sell them back to the US at a high price.

chadskin

On the morning after Donald Trump’s inauguration, acting National Park Service director Michael T. Reynolds received an extraordinary summons: The new president wanted to talk to him.

In a Saturday phone call, Trump personally ordered Reynolds to produce additional photographs of the previous day’s crowds on the National Mall, according to three individuals who have knowledge of the conversation. The president believed that they might prove that the media had lied in reporting that attendance had been no better than average.

Trump also expressed anger over a retweet sent from the agency’s account, in which side-by-side photographs showed far fewer people at his swearing-in than had shown up to see Barack Obama’s inaugural in 2009.

According to one account, Reynolds had been contacted by the White House and given a phone number to call. When he dialed it, he was told to hold for the president.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...a38cb8-e3fc-11e6-ba11-63c4b4fb5a63_story.html

Isn't that one of the most historically reliable demographic predictions?
Not necessarily, though it's typically one of the most visible. Most of the Boomers who were hippies in college stayed with the left but they were a visible minority, most Boomers voted for Nixon in '68 and then happily remained Republicans thereafter.

You would think so based on recent elections but it isn't true in general. 18-24 voters supported Reagan 61-39 over Mondale, or about as much as average.

With Carter's economy, it's pretty understandable. People are a product of their times.

Are the Baby Boomers considered more conservative than their predecessors? Seems like the Southern Strategy and evangelicalism really did a number on that generation. And it seems like no one talks about Generation X these days.

royalan

Are the Baby Boomers considered more conservative than their predecessors? Seems like the Southern Strategy and evangelicalism really did a number on that generation. And it seems like no one talks about Generation X these days.

Generation X gets folded into Millennials a lot.

kirblar

Yes, I believe they're the only age cohort who were actively going for Trump in pre-election (pre-Comey) polls.

At a party gathering in Philadelphia, House Republicans interpreted Spicer’s statement as an endorsement for their broader plan to overhaul the corporate tax system by implementing a border adjustment tax, long championed by Ryan, which would only tax goods imported into and sold in the US. Under the plan, the resulting revenue would be used to reduce the corporate tax rate from 35% to 20%.

"Interpreted" is going to be used a lot.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-balloon-republican-reaction?CMP=share_btn_tw

Spicer's statement was nonsense and House Republicans should punch themselves in the dick for wishcasting it to make sense.

The Boomers got to experience most of the benefits of New Deal liberalism that propelled them to being relatively wealthy and successful without really understanding pre-New Deal conditions for the working class. They grew up in a time where they had to be prepared for the literal end of the world and turned to religion for comfort. They watched Nixon nearly get impeached. It's not too surprising that the sunny disposition (and racism) of Reagan was appealing to them.

It doesn't make their attempts to sink the world before they leave it any less frustrating though.

Once the Baby Boomers found God, it was game over.
If this is completely true, we're fucked when Gen Y is a real voting bloc.

Shes gone. That NASCAR driver is going to run. Missouri and NASCAR...shes toast.

Even if he somehow beats Ann Wagner in the primary, I'd bet "outsider" candidates would be fairly unpopular in 2018. I think McCaskill will hang on, personally, though it'll be a hard-fought race. She's more popular in Missouri than people think.

NeoXChaos

well how much of the racial disparity in the South with R's getting whites 80-20 90-10 is due to the white baby boomer vote and the Gen-X/Millennial. Do whites of all generations in the South vote R?

well how much of the racial disparity in the South with R's getting whites 80-20 90-10 is due to the white baby boomer vote and the Gen-X/Millennial. Do whites of all generations in the South vote R?

Yes, but younger white a tiny bit less. Especially if they've been to college

Almost wish that Obamacare's projected increase of enrollees for 2017 hadn't been discussed in the media. I don't know that they'd have thought of discouraging people to sign up like this if it weren't for that inconvenient narrative.

Or maybe they're just evil fucks.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-white-house-obamacare-ads-234245

The Trump administration has pulled the plug on all Obamacare outreach and advertising in the crucial final days of the 2017 enrollment season, according to sources at Health and Human Services and on Capitol Hill.

Even ads that had already been placed and paid for have been pulled, the sources told POLITICO.
[...]
Individuals may still sign up for Obamacare plans until the Jan. 31 deadline — but the Trump administration isn't advertising that fact any longer.

It is also halting all media outreach designed to spur signups in the days leading up to the deadline. Emails are no longer being sent out to individuals who visited HealthCare.gov, the enrollment website, to encourage them to finish signing up. Those emails had proven highly successful in getting stragglers to complete enrollment before the deadline.

More at link.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Parts of the Hannity interview are coming out. More fake news shit.

C3I15NnWIAA6atC.jpg

https://twitter.com/jessebyrnes/status/824781456866234369

They didn't treat Obama like this.

NeoXChaos

Yes, but younger white a tiny bit less. Especially if they've been to college

I assume the flyover/plains states apply now with whites. Were places like KS, WY, ID etc traditionally Republican bastion or once swing states 50-100 years ago? What about the west?

I understand the South was traditionally democratic and the northeast Republican. The midwest seems to have been a healthy swing area even now and then.

bplewis24

Neo Member
Problem is EU Sanctions have been holding on by the tip of their fingers. Countries like Italy etc. have wanted to end sanctions for over a year. They will now use the US as a reason to fight the EU sanctions even more. "Silly to keep EU sanctions if the US has lifted theirs". etc.

I'm not suggesting you're wrong, but if that's the logic they use--using Trump as an example of what is morally, ethically and reasonably justified--then we're even more fucked than I thought.

I pay great homage to the wall with the stars. I paid great homage. And the audience was standing ovation.

Somebody pointed out, he confused them not sitting as a sign of support with the fact that he never told them to sit and is their commanding officer. The guy has no idea what he's doing.

bplewis24

Neo Member
I pay great homage to the wall with the stars. I paid great homage. And the audience was standing ovation.

In my head, I hear Trump pronouncing "homage" as three syllables. Ho-mah-jee.

I pay great ho-mah-jee to the wall with the stars *pointing* I paid great ho-mah-jee *arms raised in the air signalling a touchdown*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom