• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamek

The Fox News interview is crazy.

"I wanna frack, build factories, fuck up the environment.... BUT by the way, i'm an environmentalist!"

Vestal

BAGW1wE.gif

Stray thought. If I am Trump and therefore very smart. The smartest.

I nominate Gorsuch. Not Pryor.

Because the threat of Pryor instead makes Gorsuch relatively palatable.

The Democrats should not filibuster Gorsuch - he is not who they want obviously - but he will not do much to change the court really.

In which case they quickly cede the bench seat making them look terrible after it being kept vacant for a year to spite Obama.

I don't actually think Trump thinks like this. Or at all.

But Bannon might.

dramatis

I am not trying to argue about gerrymandering. if there is a city block with 30k+ people in it, why doesn't that one blockhave its own rep?

Put in another way At the founding of this country, the citizens were way better represented, 61,500 people per rep to the 700,000 it is now.
We can argue this, but in the current climate there is no realistic way to reapportion the House, because it requires their consent.

There is a "legislature" with over a thousand people: China's National People's Congress. Setting aside the obvious "it's not a real legislature" since that is not the topic, the NPC (lol) has 2,987 people representing 1.37 billion people. Each person represents 458,654 people (more, since I rounded the population).

Even if it were an actual effective legislative body, you can't negotiate with practically 3000 other people. They meet in a freaking concert hall like this

001a6b603da80949bb560a.jpg

You can't even see the dude you're opposing on the other side or something lol

It would be impossible to get anything done if even like 10% of the legislature wants to debate one bill. That's 300 people getting up to the mic to get their proper amount of time to talk and whatnot.

The side benefit is that more races mean we get the rich dudes to dump more money into elections, which is technically reinvestment in America since you can't exactly outsource campaigning. But it would probably also mean more money in politics.

I think we should have reapportionment, but I am not so sure about tagging it to the 30k population that Washington wanted, because even in the late 1700s, I don't think the founding fathers could comprehend an America with 300 million people.

UberTag

One of these is a propaganda firm masquerading as a pollster.
Guess with pollster is the one whose results are shared with the President while the others are decried as fake news.

We're gonna die.
Yet won't take daily security briefings......Good lord.
Don't we want our elected officials basing their policy decisions on things they see on TV? Seems sensible to me.

Nobody let Trump watch The Walking Dead or he'll drop a nuke on Georgia.

The mayor of Miami-Dade, Carlos Giménez, is a naturalized Cuban-American immigrant born in Havana.

Gotta love that eagerness to slam the door behind him.

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 4h4 hours ago
Miami-Dade Mayor drops sanctuary policy. Right decision. Strong!

ugh, even worst to be Cuban and so fucked up, he should be fighting this the hardest what a coward

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Basically i am looking for an argument as to why more reps would be bad for reasons other than becuase it would be expensive. If we are a republic, making the representatives as answerable to the citizens as possible should be the goal. Even in blue states I know a bunch of people that say stuff to the effect of " I dislike my rep but hes a democrat so I don't do anything".

If someone doesn't need a ton of money to reach the constituents the election would be way more vibrant with idea. Which I think would encourage people to pay attention to the elections ("my vote DOES MATTER!") which would lead to, I think, a way stronger republic. Why are we 20x away from 30k and even worse not tied to any sort of population increase? Surely a reason other than no one felt like fighting for something better.

I am not trying to argue about gerrymandering. if there is a city block with 30k+ people in it, why doesn't that one blockhave its own rep?

Put in another way At the founding of this country, the citizens were way better represented, 61,500 people per rep to the 700,000 it is now.
I believe James Madison and Alexander Hamilton had extensive arguments supporting higher density districts, which you can find in the Federalist papers somewhere. Alternatively, Bernard Manin discusses the issue in-depth in The Principles of Representative Government.

Teggy

Are we going to have to compare crowd shots again? I'm bored of this game.

NYT article said that bus permits for this march are minuscule compared to the inauguration, much less the women's march, so we'll see if they somehow pull off a miracle for themselves in the last week.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
NYT article said that bus permits for this march are minuscule compared to the inauguration, much less the women's march, so we'll see if they somehow pull off a miracle for themselves in the last week.

They won't but they will make it seem like it. Don't they have work on Fridays?

Just realized Trump hasn't even gotten a dog

Fucking monster

Has anyone else not gotten a dog since it became a tradition? Was their candidacy a disaster, or were they run out of DC in disgrace? Could it be a bellwether?

Also as to the March for Life I work at a restaurant in downtown DC and we aren't expected anything more than normal traffic. We were closed on inauguration for safety concerns but were open during the march on Saturday and it was a fucking busy shit show.

Teggy

Has anyone else not gotten a dog since it became a tradition? Was their candidacy a disaster, or were they run out of DC in disgrace? Could it be a bellwether?

Also as to the March for Life I work at a restaurant in downtown DC and we aren't expected anything more than normal traffic. We were closed on inauguration for safety concerns but were open during the march on Saturday and it was a fucking busy shit show.

Clinton had a dog? I thought they just had Socks.

Edit: Buddy? Never heard of him. Socks had a book!

Even Nixon had Checkers.
'Even'? Richard had that dog decades before he held the executive office. He didn't do it to fit in with some corny tradition. Hitler had dogs too, who cares. Not owning a dog says nothing about your inherent humanity except that you have less tolerance for errant excrement and vociferous barking

FyreWulff

Kublur mentioned a while back that a law was passed to prevent the house from growing in size. I am unsure of the exact details as to why but it was surely short sighted at the time.

It was done by the Republicans the last time they had all 3 branches to hold on to electoral votes they felt they would lose as the population would increase.

Also having shittons of House reps should be fine. The House is suppposed to look more like a popular vote and vote-on-aggregate, not a quasi-Senate.

Debirudog

'Even'? Richard had that dog decades before he held the executive office. He didn't do it to fit in with some corny tradition. Hitler had dogs too, who cares. Not owning a dog says nothing about your inherent humanity except that you have less tolerance for errant excrement and vociferous barking
I'm sure Nixon likes his dogs but that speech was a well-played tactic of his lol.

and that's only if the dog is badly trained. Many dogs are wonderful obedient pets that know where to poop and bark only when it's appropriate.

BowieZ

Banned
Can someone explain why a mod keeps locking threads invoking philosophical questions or sentiment raised in an attempt to decipher and solve the current American political quagmire?

Why is more dumb news about Steve fucking Bannon any more important than people here coming together in trying to fully understand the core of the problem in an attempt to solve it?

I was just about to post this in the latest one:

It's easier to be hopeless, hateful and partisan than it is to have the courage to reach out to someone with whom you disagree.

I made a thread about this, but it got locked without explanation. This thread probably will too.

But of course, the thread got locked within 5 posts.

Based on some other locks, I think the goal is to keep more general and non-specific political discussion here. There are a lot of Trump-related threads but they'll all sparked by a news piece so they have a focus to them. PoliGAF is in Community and is open-ended.

BowieZ

Banned
What Bannon said is honestly pretty damn scary.
I don't disagree.

But siphoning off philosophical discussion about it into an esoteric sub-forum thread is probably not going to help.

Based on some other locks, I think the goal is to keep more general and non-specific political discussion here. There are a lot of Trump-related threads but they'll all sparked by a news piece so they have a focus to them. PoliGAF is in Community and is open-ended.
I understand. But much more people need to come together and figure this out.

How do we make that happen?

The other thing is: I find (or at least, used to find, maybe it's changed) PoliGAF *extremely* partisan. I apologise if that assertion is false.

Pixieking

Banned
I don't disagree.

But siphoning off philosophical discussion about it into an esoteric sub-forum thread is probably not going to help.

I understand. But much more people need to come together and figure this out.

How do we make that happen?

Run a Discord server, maybe? Depends how the Mods are actually handling it, but it may be you could have a single thread which is an "Activism Thread", and point people to Discord in order to discuss, motivate, enact.

UberTag

JJ MacNab‏ @jjmacnab
Alex Jones says he's been offered WH press credentials.
The WH says that's not true.
What's sad is that I have no idea which one is lying.
I'm not sure there's a better way to sum up Trump's first week in office than this tweet right here.

BowieZ

Banned
Run a Discord server, maybe? Depends how the Mods are actually handling it, but it may be you could have a single thread which is an "Activism Thread", and point people to Discord in order to discuss, motivate, enact.
Discord is confusing to work. To me, anyway.

The thing is, I'm trying to get other people to be passionate and active about it, but I can't do that by myself: an "Activism" thread or whatever will receive a couple of posts then be bumped off the front page forever. I don't know how to ignite the same grassroots passion that I have, around the concept of bipartisan unity and dialogue, that will sustain that effort.

For the very reason that people of all walks feel hopeless and/or hateful -- and while the Women's March and other protests are extremely important, I fear that it does little to heal this unprecedented national divisiveness.

The other thing is: I find (or at least, used to find, maybe it's changed) PoliGAF *extremely* partisan. I apologise if that assertion is false.
Not that others aren't welcomed, since the rules are pretty simple. 1) Don't be a dick to other members, and 2) hate speech is generally banned. If persons with a more conservative political ideology happen to be more inclined to fun afoul of those rules it's not really "our" problem if things end up so partisan. You can't force diversity. Liberal posters get banned for the exact same things and there are plenty of examples of that in the random OT threads of people being horrible.

Pixieking

Banned
Discord is confusing to work. To me, anyway.

The thing is, I'm trying to get other people to be passionate and active about it, but I can't do that by myself: an "Activism" thread or whatever will receive a couple of posts then be bumped off the front page forever. I don't know how to ignite the same grassroots passion that I have, around the concept of bipartisan unity and dialogue, that will sustain that effort.

For the very reason that people of all walks feel hopeless and/or hateful -- and while the Women's March and other protests are extremely important, I fear that it does little to heal this unprecedented national divisiveness.

Yeah, Discord isn't the most intuitive thing...

I'm sure a lot of formerly pro-Trump people are now willing to listen to voices of reason, but the issue is that those voices of reason are mostly left-leaning, and you're going to run into the polarisation of politics issue. Additionally, liberals are not going to want to budge an inch on issues like DACA, Obamacare, abortion, or the Wall. So the common-ground that exists, and that you want to build on with "bipartisan unity and dialogue", is going to be very small.

Which isn't to say that you shouldn't try, of course. I just think it may be that the current climate of polarisation has to run its course and burn the middle ground, before it gets better.

Edit: If Jeb! (as an example) had won, you would have an easier time finding middle-ground, because he was just a Republican. But Trump is so far removed from normalcy, I don't think many liberals are going to want to unify, unless that unification is to oust Trump.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
PoliGAF is definitely partisan, but I think for good reason. It's not been my impression people here villainize those who have different perspectives on the role of government and economics, but instead hold issue with bigoted social stances and abuse of the system (not holding a hearing for Meric Garland is a great example of that).

If you have something to say here that liberals would not agree with, then just give facts for your reasoning and there won't be any problem I assure you.

If you come in and say something like, "Proud of my new president, glad the adults are back in charge" or "The South has no place in the future of our country" yeah, there are gonna be conflicts. This is a place to communicate and pit ideas against each other, so what's wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom