• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dierce

There's a nonzero probability that Trump puts Chinese Americans in camps.

There should be vote redos allowed right now.

The Chinese Americans that voted for him probably thought that he would go after the Muslims, the Muslims Americans that voted for him thought he would go after the Mexicans and the Mexican Americans probably thought he would go after the other two. It is the right wing chain of selfishness.

If they were smart I'd assume this was all a way to figure out where the leaks are. Write up a bunch of EOs, pass them around, see what gets leaked, and repeat until leaks are found. But they're not smart so it's probably just people with actual souls and empathy leaking this stuff.

Significant chance it's also so they can say "FAKE NEWS said we would do X, but we never intended to do X. Lyin' media."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't know... The thing is, I'm in the middle of these two points. I think the onus ought to be on voters to educate themselves, but on the flip-side, I can totally appreciate how things appear, and how the disconnect of appearance and reality occurs.

Right, and this has been my problem with democratic officials in the last decade. They operate as if the world is perfect and voters are smart enough to research and make wise decisions. That is clearly untrue in today's climate.

daedalius

I'm frantically looking to see if anything else comes up about the US Marshals refusing to follow judiciary orders, but can't find anything.

I really hope that was a misunderstanding or something... because if not, we are so fucked.

Also, is this Bannon thing for real?

http://********************/2017/01...non-national-security-council-just-backfired/

However, Trump apparently doesn't know about 50 U.S. Code § 3021 which says an individual like Bannon must be confirmed by the Senate if he wants to hold such a prestigious seat. The reason Trump did not know about this law is because he knows absolutely nothing about the laws that govern the United States.

Its from Occupy Democrats, so I am not sure of its authenticity.

Edit: Hah, its a banned site. Maybe take with lots of grains of salt.

I'm frantically looking to see if anything else comes up about the US Marshals refusing to follow judiciary orders, but can't find anything.

I really hope that was a misunderstanding or something... because if not, we are so fucked.
Seriously. How do you deal with a presidency determined to tear down the nation? There's no system in place barring wholesale revolt in the Executive branch and I'm terrified there's too many conservatives and "just following orders" types to make it happen. We let Republicanism metastasize into a culture, and this is where it's led us.

Teggy

Need to pull it to make it more objectionable.

Also, is this Bannon thing for real?

Its from Occupy Democrats, so I am not sure of its authenticity.

Edit: Hah, its a banned site. Maybe take with lots of grains of salt.

It came up last night but most people in the know say it doesn't apply to him.

Probably a sign of dissension, isn't it? I have to imagine some of the more "Establishment" Republicans aren't on board with everything that's going on, even if it's not necessarily for moral or ethical reasons (i.e. because they fear the backlash may hit the party)

Trial Ballons, also could be legal reviewers slipping them out

As much as I want these leaks to be the results of kind souls trapped in working environments they don't approve of, I worry that these leaks are intentional. Could be trial balloons, but do they really care what the public thinks at this point?

Significant chance it's also so they can say "FAKE NEWS said we would do X, but we never intended to do X. Lyin' media."

Pretty much this. That LGBT EO leak got me a little shook.

Could also be that, but I'm not sure they'd go through the effort of actually writing these EO's up if that was the goal.

It doesn't seem like they put much effort into them as it is.

At what point does it switch from the candidate's duty to be charismatic, intelligent, empathetic and respectful, to the voter's duty to actually look at the issues, the policies, and the opponent?

Edit:
So this is an interesting question because it assumes that voting for a candidate one prefers is always a rational behavior. The problem is that the practical utility of voting is almost nonexistent since individual votes have almost no chance of mattering. The reason people vote then is because they get other benefits for voting, including the warm feeling that comes from civic engagement and supporting a candidate they liked. Especially when the cost is high, like with voter ID laws or the opportunity cost of missing, voting for a candidate you don't like is not a tantalizing prospect.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I suppose on a very high level, it is the voter's job to pick the best person for the job, and they fail themselves when they vote for someone they regret voting for.

But on a practical level, that road only leads to, for a lack of a better word, circlejerking. It does no one any good to complain about voters being idiots, unless you think that can somehow turn into a cultural change where uninformed voters are embarrassed into educating themselves, or you pass some sort constitutional amendment to require passing tests to vote.

Besides, Hillary can basically force any message she wants on the voters, and she chose a message of optics. Show me a TV ad from the general election that was about the issues that some trump voters are now wishing they knew about before voting.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Gorsuch is basically replacing Scalia with another Scalia.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like Supreme Court pick is between Hardiman and Gorsuch? and liberals should be rooting for Hardiman?

Gorsuch sounds better going by public statements, but Hardiman is better going by (potentially flawed) ruling statistics.

So take your pick on which one you think is more likely to be representative of their actions as SCOTUS. I remember at least one liberal here really wanting Gorsuch as the lesser evil.

Barzul

Think I'd rather Gorsuch tbh. At least you'd know exactly what you were getting. Hardiman seems to love police too much for me.

Balphon

Gorsuch is the better choice.

The worst jurist on the Court isn't Thomas and wasn't Scalia. It's Alito, and you're likely just getting another one of him with Hardiman.

Feel like this isn't surprising at all.

David Corn ‏@DavidCornDC 7m7 minutes ago
During @PressSec briefing he was passed long notes: big letters written w/ red Sharpie. Journos speculate they're from a watching Trump. 1/2

David CornVerified account
‏@DavidCornDC
One journo at @PressSec briefing says he could see & one of the notes for Spicer written in red Sharpie began: "It was Obama's fault." 2/2

https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC

During @PressSec briefing he was passed long notes: big letters written w/ red Sharpie. Journos speculate they're from a watching Trump. 1/2

‏@DavidCornDC
One journo at @PressSec briefing says he could see & one of the notes for Spicer written in red Sharpie began: "It was Obama's fault." 2/2

"We have no official position on.... one moment... Barack Obama did the same thing, really. Look it up."

Zukkoyaki

‏@DavidCornDC

I'm disappointed they weren't written in crayon

GiJoccin

Hardiman has no official opinion on abortion, Gorsuch is against Roe v Wade.

Gorsuch seems to be very pro following previous opinions, and has said that he hasn't had the opportunity to write on roe v wade before.

that being said i can't imagine they'd pick someone who was NOT against roe v wade

Someone from my building made the mistake of sending an email to all the residence saying they just signed a petition against the 'Muslim Ban'

now I get to find out who lives in my building and how they feel

example
Please read the executive order carefully.
Over-reacting or more "alternative facts" don't help anything. See this list:
Muslim Nations Whose Citizens are NOT banned from US travel/immigration:
Indonesia (largest Muslim nation)
Turkey
Egypt
Jordan
Saudi Arabia
Qatar
Oman
Kuwait
Afghanistan
Pakistan
Morocco
Tunisia
Algeria
Bangladesh
Azerbaijan
Bahrain
Djibouti
Gambia
Mali
Kazakhstan
Kyrgyzstan
Comoros
Albania

I see a lot of people go there as good reasoning

The worst jurist on the Court isn't Thomas and wasn't Scalia. It's Alito, and you're likely just getting another one of him with Hardiman.

Thomas is the guy who argues passionately for domestic abusers to have guns.

Alito is the type of guy who would allow a conservative president to do literally anything he wanted.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Gorsuch seems to be very pro following previous opinions, and has said that he hasn't had the opportunity to write on roe v wade before.

that being said i can't imagine they'd pick someone who was NOT against roe v wade

Pretty much. I imagine all options will have 2-3 standard conservative positions, abortion, guns, religion, but at the end of the day it depends on what case makes it in front of them and if they let their opinions twist their legal interpretation. Scalia was notoriously hypocritical on a few topics like this.

I just finished calling my senators in Arkansas for the first time. The lines were busy for both and I had to call multiple times just to leave a message. For Tom Cotton, it said his inbox was full and couldn't accept anymore messages.

Is this typical? Or is this a good sign that there are many unhappy constituents making their voices heard?

Guys in hurricane zones, please move to the Rust Belt.

Because Trump's handling of the next hurricane is going to make W's Katrina work look masterful.

I want your vote to matter, I don't you dead.

Eh. Goursuch bothers me because he's a textualist which limits executive rule making. Which has got me nervous with climate change.

The whole reality show thing tonight is really something. Inviting two prominent judges for a Celebrity Apprentice episode.....he'll probably nominate Rudy at the last second.

It's similar to bringing all of Bill's accusers to a debate, or using a stack of papers as a prop to show you don't have extreme conflicts of interest. It's Trump University-level bullshit, and I can't believe people fall for it.

We need real, unbiased education in this country, and I have my doubts that DeVos is the one to bring it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom