• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
igorvolsky ‏@igorvolsky 1m1 minute ago

OOPS: @SpeakerRyan endorses individual mandate at CNN town hall. "I think we all have to contribute be a part of" [paying for health care]

https://twitter.com/igorvolsky/status/819726749714026498

Will they just realize the best move they can make is to fix the ACA issues and rebrand it as the ACA? Just stop calling it Obamacare after you fix it and your constituents won't know the difference!

mo60

It would be something if elections were decided by who could win the second biggest electoral prize. There could a ton of EV/PV splits.

Not really. If NY and CA stay as strong blue as they are now and the current blue states don't turn more red or the swing states especially in the midwest don't turn more red NY and CA would still decide who wins the PV.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
It would be something if elections were decided by who could win the second biggest electoral prize. There could a ton of EV/PV splits.

Honestly, you would need something like 3-4 elections where only Florida and Texas mattered, and then you'd probably have some serious conversations about the Electoral College. I mean, as much as there was a PV / EV split this year, right now 6/10 biggest states were all in that swing state category (FL, PA, OH, GA, NC, MI). If you have several elections where the only state that matters is Texas, then you would see the country wide frustration that would go across both parties. (Even the one that won, because they know they could be on the losing end next election)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
igorvolsky ‏@igorvolsky 1m1 minute ago

OOPS: @SpeakerRyan endorses individual mandate at CNN town hall. "I think we all have to contribute be a part of" [paying for health care]

https://twitter.com/igorvolsky/status/819726749714026498

Oh man this is going to go over GREAT with those many republicans who complaned about being forced to buy insurance. That was easily the biggest complaint I heard from them before the election.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh man this is going to go over GREAT with those many republicans who complaned about being forced to buy insurance. That was easily the biggest complaint I heard from them before the election.

As long as it's their idea they won't give a fuck.

Honestly, you would need something like 3-4 elections where only Florida and Texas mattered, and then you'd probably have some serious conversations about the Electoral College. I mean, as much as there was a PV / EV split this year, right now 6/10 biggest states were all in that swing state category (FL, PA, OH, GA, NC, MI). If you have several elections where the only state that matters is Texas, then you would see the country wide frustration that would go across both parties. (Even the one that won, because they know they could be on the losing end next election)

okay I'm very erect

Why would single payer health care ever be popular if we would have to take away everyone's health care (not on Medicare and Medicaid) and raise their taxes to do it?

60% of people like their health care plan and probably 65% of voters. The short-term costs are enormous and I have seen very few articles grapple with this fact.

Why would single payer health care ever be popular if we would have to take away everyone's health care (not on Medicare and Medicaid) and raise their taxes to do it?

60% of people like their health care plan and probably 65% of voters. The short-term costs are enormous and I have seen very few articles grapple with this fact.

The dollar killed decency and solidarity.

Or maybe is that your politicians suck at making the argument that many other advanced nations have already done.

lol @ Trump's poll numbers. What a fucking disaster. It's only going to get worse. Like he truly doesn't know what awaits him once he's in the oval office.

The dollar killed decency and solidarity.

Or maybe is that your politicians suck at making the argument that many other advanced nations have already done.

Those nations probably didn't have massive entrenched systems already in place to deal with. Health care in the US is like advocating for a different method of construction for the Empire State Building; it doesn't matter how great the replacement building will be if you can't easily get rid of the one that's sitting on the spot right now.

I'm still of the opinion that we should just expand Medicaid/Medicare to take the role of a public option. If you're on it now, nothing changes at all. If you don't qualify for it outright, then you should be able to buy into it (at good prices). And you need a mandate. It's literally impossible to do this without massive participation.

How about this.

-The only insurance offered on the exchanges is government health insurance.
-The rich pay a lot of taxes so this public option is reasonably affordable thanks to subsides.
-We call it single payer

Would everyone be happy with this?

How about this.

-The rich pay a lot of taxes so this public option is reasonably affordable thanks to subsides.
-We call it single payer

Yep, I think stuff like this is the way to go. You'll put some companies out of business with your pricing, but that's honestly inevitable. What's not inevitable is the total devastation of one of the largest sectors of employment in the country. We should avoid that.

I know everyone says Kellyanne is the worst.

But Paul Ryan is the worst.
My goal is to some day punch him in the face.

How about this.

-We call it single payer

I was about to propose this but also include a mandate to buy the public option.

TaterTots

Banned
I'm watching the James Mattis confirmation hearing now. He is literally the only person Trump has picked that most people do not scoff at. He also isn't happy about some decisions Trump has made.

numble

Not really. If NY and CA stay as strong blue as they are now and the current blue states don't turn more red or the swing states especially in the midwest don't turn more red NY and CA would still decide who wins the PV.

You agreed with him.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Yep, I think stuff like this is the way to go. You'll put some companies out of business with your pricing, but that's honestly inevitable. What's not inevitable is the total devastation of one of the largest sectors of employment in the country. We should avoid that.

That is the other issue with going single payer here - you would blow up a pretty big industry that is responsible for a lot of the economic boom (and the decrease in wage inequality between men and women). As much as I like single payer - I don't think it would work here without decades and decades of incremental movement. (also, most industries would have to rethink salaries, as this would end up being a massive potential paycut to all workers, as companies could shift their health care expenditures back into giant bonuses)

daedalius

I'm watching the James Mattis confirmation hearing now. He is literally the only person Trump has picked that most people do not scoff at. He also isn't happy about some decisions Trump has made.

He has picked a party of rivals, so many of them don't agree with trump on so many things.

Or someone else told him who to pick, which is probably the case.

Also what the fuck is dabbing in the first place?

That is the other issue with going single payer here - you would blow up a pretty big industry that is responsible for a lot of the economic boom (and the decrease in wage inequality between men and women). As much as I like single payer - I don't think it would work here without decades and decades of incremental movement. (also, most industries would have to rethink salaries, as this would end up being a massive potential paycut to all workers, as companies could shift their health care expenditures back into giant bonuses)

Exactly, I honestly think single payer just won't happen, outside of a few states, for these reasons and more. It's just a destructive move for largely no good reason other than "some places have it."

I think every cause should start with the question "What's the end goal?" With healthcare, the goal should be affordable coverage for everyone. Methods to get there aren't as important, and so we should just pick the easiest method.

I thought that was fire emblem x soulcalibur but its just some stupid dynasty warriors musou bullshit, fuck everything

this shin megami tensei thing looks really good

Will they just realize the best move they can make is to fix the ACA issues and rebrand it as the ACA? Just stop calling it Obamacare after you fix it and your constituents won't know the difference!

Why would they do that if they want to enrich insurance companies and corporations--their real constituents--and not actually help people?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Why would they do that if they want to enrich insurance companies and corporations--their real constituents--and not actually help people?

but i thought the ACA was already something made to enrich insurance companies and corporations

which is it!!!!

Here's my prediction:

This Flynn shit will lead to a snowball effect of search warrants against Trump and his "inner circle".

This is going to take down the inner circle: Roger Stone, Paul Manafort, Rudy Guillianni, Michael Flynn, and Donald Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom