• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Banned
I don't remember seeing this before. I may have missed it? It's the video for Clinton's "Basket of Deplorables" comment. Interesting watching her body language and hearing her words, rather than just reading them on a website...

https://twitter.com/JessikaJayne/status/829309131962064901

Jessika Jayne
‏@JessikaJayne

The speech many of us heard in clips with an audio touch up, listen to it fully & raw, hear her sorrow as she talks about Trumps supporters.

sazzy

What the hell? Balanced and moderate? Are you Donald Trump?

Morning Joe is anything but balanced. He is an ethically compromised Trump supporter who has repeatedly bent over backwards to legitimise him and attack his opponent yes. He's literally meeting with Trump regularly. It's a shocking display of corruption and lack of journalistic ethics.

No he's mostly a dumbass whof thinks he is far more intelligent than he is. No wonder he gets along with Trump. The one saving grace is they get a decent number of guests who will try and correct him

Disagreed.

He's not Maddow, and I'm guessing that is why everyone here hates him.

I don't remember seeing this before. I may have missed it? It's the video for Clinton's "Basket of Deplorables" comment. Interesting watching her body language and hearing her words, rather than just reading them on a website...

https://twitter.com/JessikaJayne/status/829309131962064901

I've said it a few too many times already, but the whole deplorables thing was every Hillary disadvantage in a nutshell. She can't be believed because she'll say anything to get elected except she can also apparently get too real and say something that's harsh but true but also couched inside a larger point that gets completely ignored even though it was the thing everyone said she needed to do to win the election.

Disagreed.

No. I don't give a fuck about him not being Maddow. As for why I hate him, well, you could try listening to what other people have said (him meeting with Trump and breaking all form of journalistic ethics--why the fuck is he meeting with him to begin with? What are they talking about? Why did Scarborough's tone towards Trump suddenly change and the man who was concerned about stuff like Trump not knowing what the nuclear triad was suddenly started to vanish with these meetings?) instead of instantly dismissing stuff in favor of complete nonsense. Get out of here with that "not being Maddow" crap and try actually listening to people when they explain why they don't like someone, if you're actually even the slightest bit curious at all. That dig is disingenuous as fuck.

No need to fucking guess at all. It was explained in black and white why they don't like them. Can't stand that kind of nonsense. Either argue with it or don't, agree or disagree, but don't pretend it doesn't exist and throw nonsense in there instead.

Scarborough is like those twitter feeds that make a million predictions and then delete the wrong ones. He's all over the map on any given day based on his mood, how recently he's been yelled at by Trumo and whether he's sufficiently gone in on "both sides" enough to say he's been saying the right thing all along.

Deplorables was a rallying cry for Trump supporters. They wore it as a badge of honor and used it to organize and cement people's opinions.

It was a terrible thing to say. It might have been true, but it was likely a big reason why she lost.

Pixieking

Banned
Deplorables was a rallying cry for Trump supporters. They wore it as a badge of honor and used it to organize and cement people's opinions.

It was a terrible thing to say. It might have been true, but it was likely a big reason why she lost.

Yes and no... I mean, watching the video, you can see she's pretty unsettled by how Trump's worst supporters act, and that she knows it's just the extremists. But the lack of nuance in TV/radio news-reporting and political debate means that it was pretty obvious that people were going to latch on to that one word, and ignore all else.

As Joe says

She'll [...] say something that's harsh but true but also couched inside a larger point that gets completely ignored

And this is completely true. That video-clip is 2 minutes long. About 1:25 into it, she says

but that other basket of people [deplorable but not irredeemable] are people that feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody cares about their futures

That larger point was missed. Completely. Utterly. And, certainly, she shouldn't have chosen such a strong word to describe them, but at the same time, I don't think it's her fault that everybody focussed on that, and not the substance of what she was saying. That's the media's fault, the fault of partisan-politics which will always focus on division and not unity, and the fault of the general public, who don't want (or feel they don't have the time) to focus on politics beyond the superficial.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Disagreed.

He's one of the assholes that pushed for impeaching Clinton....

He's worse than many republicans because he tries to come across as balanced but he's not and his act falls apart as soon as he's called out.

Mike Murphy and Steve Schmidt are what I consider sensible republicans, I can listen to both, disagree, but I completely respect where they are coming from. Joe is full of bs.

Trump's been working on the second part of this tweet for an hour now. Did Kellyanne take away his phone again?

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump
I will be speaking at 9:00 A.M. today to Police Chiefs and Sheriffs and will be discussing the horrible, dangerous and wrong decision.......

tbm24

This Trump presser is frankly amazing coming from a US President. If Obama tried this the House would start impeachment proceedings instantly.

It was a terrible thing to walk away from. They wouldn't have felt comfortable staking it out if she hadn't walked it back.

tbm24

I'm loving that Trump boxes himself in with this Wall idea. It's amazing and I guess not surprising that no one has been able to talk him out of bringing it up all the time.

She walked it back, that let it be a rallying point. She should have never apologized for it and should have pressed the point that his core support was rotten.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I get that the republicans want Warren to run in 2020, but I hope she's smart enough to know she'd probably be much better off in a VP role.

I don't think it's crazy to believe a Biden/Warren ticket would be money in the bank.

I also don't think it's that crazy to believe a Sanders/Warren ticket might have a legitimate shot at bringing together a LOT of independents and democrats who didn't vote in the last election. Still not a huge Sanders fan, but even so.

tbm24

I get that the republicans want Warren to run in 2020, but I hope she's smart enough to know she'd probably be much better off in a VP role.

I don't think it's crazy to believe a Biden/Warren ticket would be money in the bank.

I also don't think it's that crazy to believe a Sanders/Warren ticket might have a legitimate shot at bringing together a LOT of independents and democrats who didn't vote in the last election. Still not a huge Sanders fan, but even so.

Personally hoping come 2020 the democratic ticket still cares about policy details rather than populist rhetoric over and over. I don't think I'd be able to take it, I'd vote, but it'd be hard to be motivated if it's nothing but stump speeches over and over.

You can't have a President *and* VP in their 70s. I don't think it's a huge issue to have an old Presidential candidate assuming they have all their faculties, but if you even have to eyeball the line of succession rules after the VP, that's not good.

Wilsongt

Wow. Just read that Awkward Ted congratulated a woman with MS for dealing with her disease and her struggle.

Wow.

Still better than 45.

lol, Sherrod Brown just got up in the Senate and started reading the Coretta Scott King letter word for word.

Edit: Oh, i guess others have, too. Good on them.

Crayons

Banned
He's rarely an idiot, sometimes annoying, but not an idiot; Morning Joe tends to offer up the most balanced, moderate commentary on whatever is making the news.

Anyway... check this tweet out:

2V6v642.png

that twitter is russian disinfo

Slacker

Ideas for SNL this week:

- Trump brings a "bad high school student" in front of media to confirm he thinks Trump's policies are "totally cool man."

- Steve (Rosie) Bannon puts an endless stream of EOs in front of Trump, ending with Trump signing over the presidency to him.

- Trump calls Flynn to ask various dollar questions. If you tear it in half, is each piece worth 50 cents? If you laminate a dollar so it's stronger, is it worth more?

- Moment of silence for Bowling Green.

- Sean Spicer listing every crime committed by a brown person that week.

Crap I had a few more at one point but I'm having trouble remembering all the stupid shit coming from this White(s only) House.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You can't have a President *and* VP in their 70s. I don't think it's a huge issue to have an old Presidential candidate assuming they have all their faculties, but if you even have to eyeball the line of succession rules after the VP, that's not good.

After last election, I don't want to hear anybody tell me "You can't have _______ running." No more.

In other news, Trump deflected blame for his executive order/Muslim ban an said he wanted to wait a month but "law enforcement" told him no.

After last election, I don't want to hear anybody tell me "You can't have _______ running." No more.
With you in this

I don't know if it will end up being this ticket or if Biden will even run

People just need to stop bringing practicality to a feelings fight. Whoever the person is.. just ride the wave. Who gives a shit about their supposed flaws. None of that stuff matters anymore. People don't care. 90s rules don't apply.

Plinko

Jonathan Swan Verified account
‏@jonathanvswan

Watch for @jaketapper to become target of GOP operatives. High desire to destroy him.

Wow. In the comments of that tweet, he says it is reporting, not speculation.

All he is doing is exactly what he did to democrats during Obama. Good for Tapper.

Plinko

John Harwood Verified account
‏@JohnJHarwood

Ted Cruz, attacking Elizabeth Warren on Fox: "the Democrats are the party of the Ku Klux Klan"

LOL at this Cruz quote from this morning. How does this make any sense?

I honestly wonder if we're at the point where democrats are finally going to say, "Let's just start making up crap about republicans because nobody fact checks anyway."

chadskin

@realDonaldTrump:
My daughter Ivanka has been treated so unfairly by @Nordstrom. She is a great person -- always pushing me to do the right thing! Terrible!

Nordstrom stopped selling Ivanka's products a couple of days ago, now her daddy is lashing out against them on Twitter - amazing.

Slacker

@realDonaldTrump:
My daughter Ivanka has been treated so unfairly by @Nordstrom. She is a great person -- always pushing me to do the right thing! Terrible!

Nordstrom stopped selling Ivanka's products a couple of days ago, now her daddy is lashing out against them on Twitter - amazing.

Nordstrom is being unfair to me too. I tried to sell my line of hanes white t-shirts with the words "ASK ME ABOUT MY LATEST MAY MAY" and they told me to eff off. Unfair!

SexyFish

Banned
@realDonaldTrump:

Priorities.

NH Apache

Banned
@realDonaldTrump:

I won't use the position of power for profit or gain.

Uh huh

Edit: Bernie threw down in the Sessions debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom