• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sanders' populism is about taxing the rich and fighting crony capitalism to make society more equitable. It's not about letting average joe make policy or that the "common man" knows better, just that the "common man" deserves better.

Obama understands the difference between their forms of populism too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acOx0AxWlZI

And that "common man" just happens to be white, male, and rural.

I don't fully agree with the extent to which kirblar is extrapolating here (yes Sanders does genuinely care about minority issues, he just doesn't seem to have a better frame for them than "and X is very important and must be protected!") but even Sanders style populism does...disquiet me. The way it reflects in his genuinely ignorant perspectives on trade and American industry makes me nervous. There's still an "America first" bent to it. There's a way in which Bernie's platform gets xenophobic really easily

Trump refusing to fire Flynn when the rest of the White House desperately wants Flynn fired is really something.

Pence: "Flynn lied to me and humiliated me."
IC: "We are not fucking letting any of Flynn's people onto any more committees."
Various sources: "Please fire Michael Flynn."
Trump: "I am keeping Flynn."

I guess Trump did Watergate 2 with Flynn.

kirblar

I don't fully agree with the extent to which kirblar is extrapolating here (yes Sanders does genuinely care about minority issues, he just doesn't seem to have a better frame for them than "and X is very important and must be protected!") but even Sanders style populism does...disquiet me. The way it reflects in his genuinely ignorant perspectives on trade and American industry makes me nervous. There's still an "America first" bent to it. There's a way in which Bernie's platform gets xenophobic really easily
It wasn't an accident that the voters who threw a tantrum and flipped to Trump when Bernie lost were largely white, male, and rural. Populism showing up on both sides of the spectrum while leaving minorities out in the cold isn't a new pattern (I wonder how long this passage will stay relevant.- specifically the part starting after "Though Every" and continuing to the end) :

CzpnyEAXUAALt4q.jpg:large

Trump refusing to fire Flynn when the rest of the White House desperately wants Flynn fired is really something.

Pence statement on the Russia calls: "Flynn lied to me and humiliated me."
IC: "We are not fucking letting any of Flynn's people onto any more committees."

Is that Pence quote legit?

Pence statement on the Russia calls: "Flynn lied to me and humiliated me."

Flynn asked for forgiveness and god forgave him. - Sarah Palin 15:4

I mean 41% in your third week of your presidency is really really bad.

It is, but what I am saying is that it will probably settle in the low 30s and mid 40s because if you get that low you are eating into Repubs/leaners and independents, however, it still means that a chunk of Repubs/leaners still back him regardless of his actions.

It won't get really low until they aren't benefiting economically and/or Trump starts hurting them that way.

kirblar

Kirblar thought Angus King was an independent because black people are Democrats.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_King#Governor_of_Maine
In May 1993, King announced he would run for governor of Maine as an independent, as incumbent Governor John McKernan, a Republican, was term-limited and could not seek another term.[7] King abandoned his lifelong affiliation with the Maine Democratic Party. "The Democratic Party as an institution has become too much the party that is looking for something from government,"
thinking-face.png

Gee, I have no idea what that could be dogwhistling...

kirblar

Black people had been part of the coalition since the New Deal and he's a centrist?
Black people were deliberately excluded from large parts of the New Deal, which was a major contributor towards the massive amount of systemic inequality that exists today. FHA loans being denied to them left them with a massive inherited wealth gap.

Speaking out about "Dems who are asking for too much" has a real specific connotation, and again, it is not an accident that you keep getting these "Independent" liberal-leaning reps in the lily-white Northeastern United states.

isn't that an upgrade, hypocrisy aside

or is this like Mattis where he's supposed to be relatively competent but welp

From what I can remember, Petraeus became very popular in media circles because he was willing to give the media a bunch of scoops about the goings on in Iraq so it's hard to tell how much of his reputation is earned and how much is a creation of his good PR work.

But basically everyone would be better than Michael Flynn.

But Trump isn't replacing Flynn so this is a desperate thing by WH officials.

kirblar

From what I can remember, Petraeus became very popular in media circles because he was willing to give the media a bunch of scoops about the goings on in Iraq so it's hard to tell how much of his reputation is earned and how much is a creation of his good PR work.

But basically everyone would be better than Michael Flynn.

But Trump isn't replacing Flynn so this is a desperate thing by WH officials.
He's going to end up replacing him because Flynn's going to get forced out.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Trump can't fire anyone yet. It would make things look messy. He temporarily distracted people with gorsuXxxx but the media senses blood. Can you imagine the administration in turmoil articles on Poshitico?

Trump can't fire anyone yet. It would make things look messy. He temporarily distracted people with gorsuXxxx but the media senses blood. Can you imagine the administration in turmoil articles on Poshitico?
Does anyone really think the current administration doesn't look messy, regardless of someone being fired?

Since everyone here hates Russia now.

Here's 2- hour podcast from cracked.com that gives interesting insights in Russia.

Putin hates Hillary because she made a statement during the 2011 protests in Russia about Pussy Riots. Also KGB pretty much made up some stuff to scare Americans like nuclear winter, well claimed by person in the podcast.

https://soundcloud.com/crackedpod

Trump cares almost exclusively about appearance. I don't think he thinks he's failing.

Trump is starting to look into the leaks coming from his administration three weeks in.

Stuff like that usually takes three years.

Trump stopped signing EOs after getting owned badly by protests and courts.

I don't think Trump thinks he's succeeding.

Trump is starting to look into the leaks coming from his administration three weeks in.

Stuff like that usually takes three years.

Trump stopped signing EOs after getting owned badly by protests and courts.

I don't think Trump thinks he's succeeding.

Man, I don't know, maybe he does. Dude is in a thick fucking bubble of yes-men and delusional narcissism.

Petraeus criticized Trump literally ten days ago so this is a dumb as fuck move by White House staff who somehow don't understand that Trump won't hire people who disrespect him.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/02/david-petraeus-drops-truth-bomb-trump-administration

Man, I don't know, maybe he does. Dude is in a thick fucking bubble of yes-men and delusional narcissism.

But if he thought the first week of his admin was a success, he would have kept signing EOs.

But he hasn't signed anything meaningful in a while now.

Petraeus criticized Trump literally ten days ago so this is a dumb as fuck move by White House staff who somehow don't understand that Trump won't hire people who disrespect him.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/02/david-petraeus-drops-truth-bomb-trump-administration

But if he thought the first week of his admin was a success, he would have kept signing EOs.

But he hasn't signed anything meaningful in a while now.

Maybe he wants to keep signing stuff but nobody's put anything on his desk and he's too easily distracted (and generally incompetent) to keep pushing the issue.

Trouble

Banned
He's a liability that will be cut sooner rather than later due to external pressures. CIA just refused clearance for one of Flynn's deputies.

I don't see how this isn't fatal at this point. His judgement has repeatedly been shown to be piss poor. This story isn't going away.

kadotsu

Banned
Can someone give me a rundown on German politics, what is going on?

Social Democrats are gaining, Christ Democrats are down slightly. The far right populist party is around 12%. The new social democrat chancellor candidate has excited the base. There is no sign of a self sabotaging government coming to power like in the UK, France or the US.

chadskin

Can someone give me a rundown on German politics, what is going on?

New president gets elected tomorrow by a Federal Assembly, made up of all members of the national parliament as well as an equal amount of members sent by the 16 state parliaments. Since the two largest parties decided on a joint candidate, it's all but guaranteed that former foreign minister Steinmeier will win the election and replace Joachim Gauck as the head of state.

As for the parliamentary election in September, this Emnid poll was just released:

CDU/CSU 33% (center-right)
SPD 32% (center-left)
AfD 10% (far-right)
Linke 8% (far-left)
Grüne 7% (center/far-left)
FDP 6% (center-right)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom