• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
that'd probably sink him
Then Perez is the true progressive option.

27_mnight_lg.jpg

I mean why would you approve. What has he even done? 100 days are going to be wasted.
Obama's first 100 days, just gleamed from Wikipedia:

- Signed American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (aka stimulus bill)
- Expanded the number of children covered under the State Children's Health Insurance Program by up to 4 million
- Signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act into law
- Passed a congressional budget resolution kickstarting healthcare reform
- Implemented new ethical guidelines for White House staff reducing the role of lobbyists in the Cabinet
- Came out in support for the UN declaration on sexual orientation and gender identity
- Lifted seven-and-a-half year ban on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research
- Ordered the closure of Guantanamo Bay

At this rate, Trump's first 100 days:

- Complained about the media being unfair and accusing dissenters of being paid puppets
- Signed fascist executive orders that were shit-canned in the courts

Honestly amidst all the "we should talk about Kansas more" talk I sort of wonder if there's anything long-term we could do there beyond just trying to pick up the governor's mansion. It's not insignificant that in a wave year we picked up seats in the state legislature, right? It's still not pre-2010 levels but I don't think picking up 10% of the state house in a year otherwise marked by losses for the state party is something to ignore.

There's an argument that it's too socially conservative a state to become purple long-term but it did elect Sebelius twice, and it's not like she was a JBE-type blue dog, she was a normalish progressive running in a red state and winning twice. In neighboring Missouri, last year Kander got 46% of the vote while talking about how black lives matter. Kansas is a little less black, but they're otherwise pretty demographically similar states I think.

Something that stands out to me in a lot of these Republican town halls are religious people taking their representatives to task for being un-Christian. There's the woman in Tennessee who was talking about the need for the ACA because Christians have a duty to take care of the sick. There was several appeals to social gospel stuff in Cotton's town hall, including the antiwar guy. I think there's something there, and if the Kansas Democrats could make a real earnest appeal to the social gospel I think that could be big. My grandparents are from Kansas, and they're staunch advocates for equality and justice in a way that's rooted in their Catholicism.

Maybe I'm wrong and we'll make a fluke pickup there because of backlash to Brownback and then lose it, but I think there might be a chance to expand the map there. It certainly couldn't hurt if we're looking to do the 50 state strategy.

Missouri and Kansas are much different because the former has both Kansas City and Saint Louis while the latter has.. Wichita? Kansas has about half as many black people as Missouri in terms of percentage of the population.

The main reason (if not the only reason) Democrats have the potential for success is backlash to Brownback. His experiment failed and Democrats need to capitalize. It might not even matter since he can't run for reelection - it depends on how tied he is to the Kansas Republican Party.

Blader

Joe Biden is a national treasure.

Tbh, I'm not sure I believe that Harrison and Brown have that many votes, or that Mayor Pete has that few. I'm definitely in the "Buttigieg would be wasted as DNC chair" camp, so I'm not too broken up about it, but I just don't believe that 27 DNC members looked at the South Carolina party's performance and went "yes, this is what we need on a national level."
I'm kind of baffled by Jamie Harrison's whole argument for being DNC chair. His experience of running a state Democratic Party in a red state has been...a consistent red state. Why should this guy be in the top job again?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Obama's first 100 days, just gleamed from Wikipedia:

- Signed American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (aka stimulus bill)
- Expanded the number of children covered under the State Children's Health Insurance Program by up to 4 million
- Signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act into law
- Passed a congressional budget resolution kickstarting healthcare reform
- Implemented new ethical guidelines for White House staff reducing the role of lobbyists in the Cabinet
- Came out in support for the UN declaration on sexual orientation and gender identity
- Lifted seven-and-a-half year ban on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research
- Ordered the closure of Guantanamo Bay

At this rate, Trump's first 100 days:

- Complained about the media being unfair and accusing dissenters of being paid puppets
- Signed fascist executive orders that were shit-canned in the courts

Trump has also enabled the passage of several rollbacks of environmental protections. But if you add that I think it's literally the entirety of what he's done so far.

Blader

Trump has also enabled the passage of several rollbacks of environmental protections. But if you add that I think it's literally the entirety of what he's done so far.

Trump's executive orders on environmental protections (or lack thereof) are things that can be restored in future executive orders (or, you know, actual laws). The amount of legislation that Trump has passed so far is...zero? I think? Which, given a Republican majority Senate and House, compared to a Democratic White House + Congress in 2009, is awfully pathetic. And fortunate.

Alan Colmes passed away. The original FOX News liberal. Always made Hannity look like a baby, though.

He just tweeted 40 minutes ago!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Alan Colmes passed away. The original FOX News liberal. Always made Hannity look like a baby, though.

It took four posts in the Fox News tweet about it for someone to say they are glad he died. To be fair, though, the rest of it is pretty civil.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Trump's executive orders on environmental protections (or lack thereof) are things that can be restored in future executive orders (or, you know, actual laws). The amount of legislation that Trump has passed so far is...zero? I think? Which, given a Republican majority Senate and House, compared to a Democratic White House + Congress in 2009, is awfully pathetic. And fortunate.

I could have sworn the House passed some stuff like that and he signed it, but I could be wrong.

FyreWulff

scheduled tweets are kinda creepy that way

Wilsongt

In a letter to his constituents, Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) announced he won’t be holding an in-person town hall anytime soon because “there are groups from the more violent strains of the leftist ideology, some even being paid, who are preying on public town halls to wreak havoc and threaten public safety.”

But there’s no evidence of that.
Though Republican member of Congress have been grilled about their support for repealing Obamacare and Trump’s agenda during recent town halls— sometimes even by children — there hasn’t been any violence. And reporters who have searched for paid protesters haven’t been able to find them.

In his letter, Gohmert even mentioned Gabby Giffords, the former Arizona congresswoman who was shot while chatting with constituents outside a grocery store in 2011, to bolster his claim that holding a town hall would be dangerous.

“Threats are nothing new to me and I have gotten my share as a felony judge,” he writes. “However, the House Sergeant at Arms advised us after former Congresswoman Gabby Giffords was shot at a public appearance, that civilian attendees at Congressional public events stand the most chance of being harmed or killed — just as happened there.”

Bianca-Del-Rio-RuPauls-Drag-Race-Head-Tilt-Lip-Pucker-Gif.gif

Fucking coward.

Missouri and Kansas are much different because the former has both Kansas City and Saint Louis while the latter has.. Wichita? Kansas has about half as many black people as Missouri in terms of percentage of the population.

The main reason (if not the only reason) Democrats have the potential for success is backlash to Brownback. His experiment failed and Democrats need to capitalize. It might not even matter since he can't run for reelection - it depends on how tied he is to the Kansas Republican Party.
Yeah, I guess a better comparison is Iowa. Still, I just think trying to open up the map would be good if it's possible.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Tbh, I'm not sure I believe that Harrison and Brown have that many votes, or that Mayor Pete has that few. I'm definitely in the "Buttigieg would be wasted as DNC chair" camp, so I'm not too broken up about it, but I just don't believe that 27 DNC members looked at the South Carolina party's performance and went "yes, this is what we need on a national level."

He's a lobbyist. His job is basically to make friends with insiders and help them get elected. Not suprising that he'd have 27 people loyal to him as a person.

tuxfool

Banned
So Gorka continues to be a nutcase:

http://europe.newsweek.com/sebastian-gorka-white-house-terrorism-adviser-angry-call-559805?rm=eu

An embattled White House terrorism advisor whose academic credentials have come under widespread fire telephoned one of his main critics at home Tuesday night and threatened legal action against him, Newsweek has learned.

Sebastian Gorka, whose views on Islam have been widely labeled extremist, called noted terrorism expert Michael S. Smith II in South Carolina and expressed dismay that Smith had been criticizing him on Twitter, according to a recording of the call provided to Newsweek.

My instinct is that a lot will depend on which faction the Republican candidate comes from. If it's another conservative it'll probably be easier to tie the candidate to Brownback. I could see a candidate from the moderate faction having an easier time distancing themselves from him. I'm not really an expert in Kansas politics though, so I have no idea how the Republican primary is shaping up.

You're missing the point.

There are people who throw around the term "identity politics" like a pejorative—wanting to say "we should focus on class politics instead, not identity politics". From the perspectives of minorities, we've seen what this kind of roundabout talking is actually about: 'identity politics' is just a catchphrase being used by people like you who pretend that you're not actually talking about setting aside the basic civil rights of minorities in favor of your particular pet issue.

Do you get it? You can draw a line between your definition of 'identity politics' and 'civil rights' all you want, but we can hear the dog whistling. In the end you're only trying to convince yourself that you're the good guy by rejecting 'identity politics' and characterizing it as 'the bad shit that Democrats do'.
The problem here is that past history has told all minorities that when a politician speaks of economic needs, minorities get thrown under the bus. No ifs and buts.

This is why they care that a politician understands this and does include them into the platform. Somebody that is tone deaf to these concerns, is worrisome.

I understand the dog whistle idea. When trying to discuss this topic in the future, I'll probably just avoid using the term "identity politics" altogether. It seems to be a buzzword used by mainly right-wing people who I don't want to be associated with. Now that begs the question: have I unwittingly found myself in "all lives matter" territory with my broad idea of human solidarity + an economic-focused platform? My initial response to the issue of identity politics was negative because I thought it was not only unnecessarily fractious in terms of having a cohesive political party, but it also was a way of turning groups of people into monoliths based on skin color, gender, and/or sexual orientation. I saw that over half of white women voted for Trump, despite Hillary playing up the "woman card" during her campaign, as a lesson. Perhaps it was a mistaken lesson, but I felt that having a right-wing candidate successfully play up the "white "card (and "working class white" card in particular) as a way of defeating the left's "minorities" card was a sign that we can't win the identity politics game, and should therefore move away from it altogether. But after thinking about it, and reading articles for the past few days, I see how calling for moving away from identity politics just looks like a callous disregard for marginalized people.

Arizona passing an anti-protesting bill so unconstitutional that even Justice Roberts would say this is too far seems like such a bad idea.

You energize people to yell at you and then you get nothing out of it because the law is never made law because of the courts.

I hope we have enough man power in Arizona to yell at all of these state senators, but I think we will!

thefro

Man all these townhalls are giving me life. I want a revolution you guys.

Seems like it's been really successful.

Lots of bad PR for Republicans whether they show up at these things and get grilled or hide out in their office. Local news covers this too, which hurts even more (since they're more trusted than the national networks).

Wilsongt

"Protesting is covered under the First Amendment. That's all fine. But come up with your own solutions," Conway said on "Fox and Friends."

She blamed "a combination of people" for the large crowds and vocal criticism Republican lawmakers have faced at town halls and public events.

"Some people are upset with an election result they didn't see coming," she said. "You see people who are concerned about the swiftness of change, and I think that you've got some members heeding that call and taking their questions. I just don't hear a lot of solutions."

This creature needs to crawl back into the earth with her fellow mole people. I swear to fucking god

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Regarding the DNC Chair election and Perez/Ellison supporters

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/democratic-national-committee-race-235292

The email survey suggests that if the chairmanship race continues through several rounds of balloting, Perez might be in a better position to prevail than Ellison. While Ellison's supporters had few qualms about backing Perez as their second choice, the same didn't hold true for Perez backers -- few who ranked Perez as their first-choice candidate said they would back Ellison as their second choice.

"I'm surprised that Perez supporters are not picking Ellison as a second choice," said Washington state Democratic Party Chairwoman Tina Podlodowski, a Ellison supporter. "I wonder if it's this desire for less dramatic change."

It might also be a sign of lingering resentment from the Democratic presidential primary. Ellison was an early and prominent Sanders surrogate. While he eventually came on board and worked hard for Clinton, there is still some bad blood among establishment Democrats who believe the Vermont senator's tenacious primary challenge damaged Clinton's chances in the general election.

<cough>

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230818375&postcount=16561
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=230819535&highlight=#post230819535

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom