• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure Paul Ryan would agree with that assessment of his views, to put it lightly. Ryan views government "entitlements" as the creator of dependency. Remove it and spark the American work ethic again. Do I agree with him? No. And it's pretty ironic coming from a guy who has relied on government most of his life. Point being he's not rubbing his hands at the thought of children starving in the streets. He doesn't believe it'll happen.

Nor would I compare Trump to McConnell. McConnell operates within a status quo, has an ideology, and is the most effective leader in Washington right now IMO. Trump is driven more by personal slights and self interest than any ideological slant. He's a dog who caught a car.
I mean, that's how he might phrase it, but at the core of the Randian shit is the idea that the poor, weak, and sick should die because if they deserved to live they would be rich, strong, and healthy. He can dress it up in nice words, but ultimately that sort of fantasy comes down to the idea that those without should suffer because if they didn't deserve to suffer, they wouldn't be without. I refuse to believe that anyone would genuinely think that taking school lunches away from kids will just motivate them to work harder, unless he wants to come out in favor of repealing child labor laws?

McConnell and Trump don't act in the same way, Trump is more petty and personal, but neither really have any guiding principles. McConnell started his career out as a centrist/moderate but has given up views over time whenever they are politically expedient. He's good at what he does because he's unconcerned with ideology or goals, just power. Trump wants power too, but I think is less cunning (well, duh) and more brutish about it.

Are the Dems gonna protest the speech in any way or are they just gonna not clap?

They should be rowdy and raucous. bait him into saying something awful off script.

I think a lot of people disagree. There is a process in place for that reason.

He'll lose again, someone better will win, and we'll have to spend 4 months of our time painfully trying to convince his fan base that they probably should not allow Trump to get a second term.

He's not magically going to become a better candidate. And 2020's competition should be a lot fiercer than Hillary.

It reads like an elementary school poetry assignment.

Middle school poetry is generous. That's generally thematically awful more than anything else.

Think of the marvels we can achieve if we simply set free the dreams of our people, cures to illnesses that have always plagued us are not too much to hope.

This is actually painful to read just because of the grammar. It's terrible.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
"Trump's child care plan is gift to the rich"

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/28/news/economy/donald-trump-child-care/index.html

That's quite the headline

The Tax Policy Center says a couple earning $30,000 a year would get $574 back. It's a modest amount compared to the average child care bill. Stay-at-home moms or dads would not be eligible for the tax credit, but wealthier stay-at-home parents can take advantage of the deduction.

And we're done here.

God someone needs to heckle him. He would lose it

So I have to listen to republicans freak out and pretend that somebody never did the exact same thing to Obama? I think not.

And we're done here.

So I have to listen to republicans freak out and pretend that somebody never did the exact same thing to Obama? I think not.

m8 Republicans are going to freak out even if everyone's perfectly polite. It's the very act of resistance that agitates them, everything else is seeking an excuse. Might as well score some points while we're at it.

Looks like Berthel (R) beat Cava (D) by about 2k votes in CT SD-32. Last November the Republican beat Cava by 33%.

Going to do some math now, but it looks like in every special since Nov 8th Democrats have beaten Hillary and Trump and the margins of last major election there.

Holmes

Going to do some math now, but it looks like in every special since Nov 8th Democrats have beaten Hillary and Trump and the margins of last major election there.
No math needed.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C2MVeM2K7WgqmJw5RCQbWyTo2u73CX1pI8zw_G-7BJo/htmlview#gid=0

Only one with no improvement was VA HD-85, a lean R Virginia Beach district. Could be because a few things - Kaine on the ticket, before Trump's inauguration, mediocre Democratic candidate.

Hopefully the Dem response is waaaaay more polished than the shitty Republican ones were.

heres-marco-rubio-awkwardly-grabbing-for-a-drink-of-water-in-his-state-of-the-union-rebuttal.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom