• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
To my knowledge Idaho also has very low cost of living which could have something to do with it. Honestly I've always wondered why more people and business don't try to set up shop in dirt cheap states like Idaho or Mississippi. Sure they're not as glamorous as the east coast, Seattle or California and they don't have highly skilled populations but property, labor, food and such are all dirt cheap which could be enticing to young professionals and businesses needing real estate. They also don't tax anyone that actually has money there (at least in Mississippi).

I would have to imagine that part of the calculus is that companies would figure that it would be hard to lure young professionals to places like Idaho and Mississippi, even with a low cost of living. You'd probably have more young talent growing up in the state and wanting to leave than interested in coming in from out of state. Certainly my experience growing up in Indiana was one of a lot of people who wanted to get out of the state as soon as they could.

Every country and terror organization is licking their chops at taking on Trump and Trump has been too lazy to fill most foreign policy positions.

The abrupt withdrawal of a top Trump National Security Council appointee and the dozens of high-level personnel holes across key foreign policy and defense agencies have national security experts posing a dark question: Will Donald Trump be ready to manage a national security crisis from Day One?

Sources close to the transition describe Trump’s national security staffing as a “black box,” leaving everyone from Obama administration officials to Trump job seekers and foreign diplomats guessing at who will land crucial positions shaping policy and managing crises.

Much of the speculation focuses on the NSC, which plays the vital role of coordinating foreign policy and national security within the White House. NSC aides refine and advise the president on competing policy options generated throughout the federal government.

But the Trump team has also not yet announced any appointments below the Cabinet level for the departments of State or Defense, leaving many more important posts open days before Trump’s inauguration.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/donald-trump-national-security-crisis-233732

I'm hoping so bad that Trump is Republican Jimmy Carter.

Just a guy who squanders all the power his party was given.

Carter was an ineffective president, but the fact that he barely won under circumstances that should have led to an easy victory should have been taken as a warning sign that the Democrats were in serious trouble going forward. His election was in some ways the last gasp of the New Deal Coalition. Once the South was gone the Democrats had an extremely narrow path to victory until they managed to make major inroads in the Pacific Coast.

He was also saddled with what was essentially a Congressional majority in name only, given the presence of a large Southern conservative wing. Of course it didn't help that he had no experience in dealing with Congress (which had, ironically, been part of how he sold himself during the campaign as an "outsider.")

Tom Price stock scandal. How many nomination scandals are we at.

Michael Flynn batshit insanity scandal.
Steve Bannon actual Nazi scandal.
Jeff Sessions horrible person scandal.
Monica Crowley plagiarized dissertation scandal.
Puzder wife beating "scandal" (should have put him in prison and not just be some scandal...)
Ben Carson "I'm not qualified for this job" scandal
Rex Tillerson did deals with Iran scandal.
Steve Mnuchin "I am only helping Trump so I will get rewarded after the election" scandal

Just a few.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Puzder wife beating "scandal" (should have put him in prison and not just be some scandal...)

Just a few.

I keep forgetting about Puzder. I hope someone asks him if he still beats his wife.

The GOP is the biggest joke in the world if they confirm Mnuchin.

The dude has no qualifications and no clue of anything. He was appointed for literally one reason, because he raised money for Trump when no other banker would do so.

Treasury is a really important position, Mnuchin is a joke.

Steve Mnuchin "I am only helping Trump so I will get rewarded after the election" scandal

Just a few.
Shouldn't Betsy DeVos also get the "I'm not qualified for this job" scandal?

Shouldn't Betsy DeVos also get the "I'm not qualified for this job" scandal?

Ben Carson literally said he was not qualified for a cabinet job. Was trying to show that with the quotes, but failed.

Mnuchin also said that he was only helping Trump for quid pro quo.

These guys are pretty blatant, lol.

DeVos hasn't admitted that she's not qualified IIRC.

Maengun1

Man, Tim Kaine destroyed Betsy DeVos.

He would've been a great VP.

:-(

Not that I think it made a huge difference or anything, but I came to really like Kaine after being meh on him as a pick, and then I couldn't figure out why he was so under the radar all fall. I feel like I went weeks without seeing him in the leadup to the election.

what is pizzagate again? I can't keep up

Hillary and Podesta are running a pedophile ring out of a popular DC pizzeria near their offices. Trumper drove from NC to investigate, carried a gun with him, discharged his weapon inside pizzeria and found no children being raped or any potential rape rooms.

Origin of rumor: Podesta mentioned eating pizza at this restaurant a lot in the stolen emails so bored Trumpers decided that "eating pizza" was code for "raping underage girls."

Supporting evidence other than insane coded language theory: None.

Hillary and Podesta are running a pedophile ring out of a popular DC pizzeria near their offices. Trumper drove from NC to investigate, carried a gun with him, discharged his weapon inside pizzeria and found no children being raped or any potential rape rooms.

Origin of rumor: Podesta mentioned eating pizza at this restaurant a lot in the stolen emails so bored Trumpers decided that "eating pizza" was code for "raping underage girls."

Supporting evidence other than insane coded language theory: None.

seriously reading that, you'd thing yeah right bullshit never happened
I just checked the news for it wow I forgot that shit that is how crazy things have been

mo60

I'm hoping so bad that Trump is Republican Jimmy Carter.

Just a guy who squanders all the power his party was given.

He may actually end up being more like a Nixon or Redford who won an election against a really really unpopular candidate/party but they were never able to survive until the next election even though nixon stayed as the president for like 5 years while redford was only the premier of Alberta for a bit under two years before she ended her poliitcal career in controversy like Nixon.

They call Tulsi Gabbard to stand in for republicans

Lol. There was one or two cases were a political party in Canada had complete control of the legislature on the provincial level and they pretended to be members of the opposition for like a term or so of those government's life since no opposition members held a single seat after those elections. I was referring to those cases.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Forty percent of Americans in the national survey approve of the way Trump has handled the transition, half as many as the 80 percent who approved of Barack Obama’s preparations to take office. Trump also far trails George W. Bush (72 percent transition approval), Bill Clinton (81 percent) and George H.W. Bush (82 percent) on this measure.

I had no idea Dubya's approval rating was so high. Weren't people super pissed off at the election results and with Bush v. Gore?

I had no idea Dubya's approval rating was so high. Weren't people super pissed off at the election results and with Bush v. Gore?

That's just how people's opinion based on how GWB handled the transition. Which really just involves making nice with your replacement. Having less than half the population approve of the way you take office requires real effort.

DeVos hasn't admitted that she's not qualified IIRC.

She did say her family "may have" donated $200m to the Republican Party in the last year or so. Not sure how that isn't more concerning to people since it's the definition of pay-to-play. Family donates a shitload of money and are rewarded with a cabinet position in a department you absolutely hate.

She did say her family "may have" donated $200m to the Republican Party in the last year or so. Not sure how that isn't more concerning to people since it's the definition of pay-to-play. Family donates a shitload of money and are rewarded with a cabinet position in a department you absolutely hate.

I think this highlights the Dems messaging problem. Everything I've seen about her over the past day has been about how she's a cold-hearted moron, which isn't going to play with the people we need to reach considering they just voted for a cold-hearted moron. Obvious pay-to-play swampiness? That has a better chance of catching on.

Wilsongt

13m
Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump
to the U.S., but had nothing to do with TRUMP, is more FAKE NEWS. Ask top CEO's of those companies for real facts. Came back because of me!

23m
Totally biased @NBCNews went out of its way to say that the big announcement from Ford, G.M., Lockheed & others that jobs are coming back...

Poor, fragile little man.

I went to defend the steelers yesterday about the whole Mike Tomlin thing by starting to say it was just locker room talk and nearly self combusted. Trump has ruined so many phrases.

Can in point: fake news

It took him 10 minutes to finish his sentence?

I went to defend the steelers yesterday about the whole Mike Tomlin thing by starting to say it was just locker room talk and nearly self combusted. Trump has ruined so many phrases.

Can in point: fake news

Today I needed to literally talk about draining a swamp and had to talk around it because I couldn't bring myself to say it.

Like, actually removing water from wetlands.

Well this video on gerrymandering is the most depressing thing I've seen. Do Dems really not have a shot until 2031?

https://youtu.be/nQAU5_XU8ZQ
If Democrats have a big wave election next year they could win a majority in spite of the gerrymandering.

But more long term they could pick up a good number of governor's seats, which would allow them to force neutral maps in key swing states.

It's way too early to say anything about how 2018 will go, but the president's party usually gets pummeled. The only recent exceptions to this are 98 (impeachment of Clinton was seen as overreach and Democrats gained a few seats) and 02 (post-9/11, people still supported Bush).

Best case scenario is we make downballot gains in 2018, win the presidency in 2020, and new maps in 2022 prevent us from getting hit too hard by a GOP wave election.

Well this video on gerrymandering is the most depressing thing I've seen. Do Dems really not have a shot until 2031?

https://youtu.be/nQAU5_XU8ZQ

It's hard to make political predictions two years out, let alone almost 15 years out.

15 years ago, what would you have thought was going to happen, politically? The year was 2002, Bush was one of the most popular presidents, ever, coming off of 9-11, and the GOP gained seats in a midterm, only the third time the majority party had done so since the Civil War. The Democrats were doomed. And the doomedness continued into 2004. But then in 2006 everything changed for the Democrats and they swept both 2006 and 2008.

13m
to the U.S., but had nothing to do with TRUMP, is more FAKE NEWS. Ask top CEO's of those companies for real facts. Came back because of me!

23m
Totally biased @NBCNews went out of its way to say that the big announcement from Ford, G.M., Lockheed & others that jobs are coming back...

Poor, fragile little man.
From Bush to Obama to this clown

why america

dramatis

How about this:

If James Cameron actually does manage to release all those Avatar movies in the span of 5 years, then we can start shouting Armageddon.

Hm, sounds like Tulsi Gabbard just got back from a trip to Syria that no one really knew about. I mean I imagine they keep these kinds of trips under wraps for security reasons, but still kinda weird! Her spokesperson declined to comment on whether or not she met with Assad.

In describing the purpose of the trip, Gabbard spokeswoman Emily Latimer said she “felt it was important to meet with a number of individuals and groups including religious leaders, humanitarian workers, refugees and government and community leaders.”

Earlier this month, she introduced the Stop Arming Terrorists Act, which would prohibit the U.S. government from providing funding and weapons to Sunni militants groups working to overthrow the Assad regime, such as the Levant Front, Jabhat Fateh al-Sham and al Qaeda.

In interviews, she has called for the U.S. to abandon its goal of removing Assad and focus on eliminating the Islamic State and al Qaeda.

“Gabbard has long been committed to peace and ending counterproductive, interventionist wars,” her spokeswoman told Foreign Policy.

When asked if Gabbard met with Assad, the strongman many blame for a conflict that has killed 400,000 and displaced millions, Latimer declined to comment, citing security and logistical concerns.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/01/18/democratic-rep-gabbard-makes-secret-trip-to-syria/

The article is behind a paywall, but I quoted the relevant parts.

Hm, sounds like Tulsi Gabbard just got back from a trip to Syria that no one really knew about. I mean I imagine they keep these kinds of trips under wraps for security reasons, but still kinda weird! Her spokesperson declined to comment on whether or not she met with Assad.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/01/18/democratic-rep-gabbard-makes-secret-trip-to-syria/

The article is behind a paywall, but I quoted the relevant parts.

Why hasn't someone tried to Primary her seat?

I mean it's not like she's a democrat in a red area. Hawaii deserves to have both its representatives be full-on progressives.

It really is bizarre with how good the economy is and how popular the outgoing president is, that the outgoing's president's party would lose.

Basically, for all the "Teflon Don" bullshit, Obama is the true Teflon guy.

And yeah, the GOP was so successful at attacking Hillary that they even convinced a lot of Obama fans to hate Hillary.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It really is bizarre with how good the economy is and how popular the outgoing president is, that the outgoing's president's party would lose.

Racism and sexism overwhelms a lot of positive aspects.

Wilsongt

"I think he just grandstanded, John Lewis, and then he got caught in a very bad lie, so let’s see what happens," Trump continued. "As far as other people not going, that’s OK, because we need seats so badly, I hope they give me their tickets."

During his interview with Fox News' Ainsley Earhardt, Trump also defended his propensity for lashing out at critics and the media on Twitter.

“Look, I don’t like tweeting. I have other things I could be doing. But I get very dishonest media, very dishonest press," Trump said. "It’s my only way that I can counteract.”

Then. Stop. Fucking. Tweeting.

We got involved in WW1 due to a sinking of a submarine, then WW2 due to a bombing. We are going to get sucked into WW3 due to a fucking tweet.

Happened in 2000. America likes changing parties.
Patton Oswalt (I believe it was him) had a bit recently about how you need eight years of a Democratic president to be followed by eight years of a Republican president for "balance."

In fairness he said Trump was so bad it made this unacceptable, but I really wish people would sit down and think about how fucking arbitrary this is. If you think PPACA is good progress for example, you should not then support someone for president who vows to repeal all of it because "oh checks and balances". It also grossly oversimplifies things and ignores what effect Congress and the judicial system have on molding policy.

Like we can complain about gridlock and obstructionism all we want, but I am thoroughly convinced this is what the average dumbass American voter wants based on their voting habits. Even when you break down wedge issues like gun control and the minimum wage and they support Democrats' positions by wide majorities, nothing is going to break the barrier of the philosophy of "durrrrrr I don't think the president should do ANYTHING"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom