• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I hate how rusty my Bible study has become, though.

Nothing quite like arguing with a crazy evangelical and being able to quote verse after verse after verse in the bible about how massive hypocrites they are and how Jesus would be ashamed of what they've become.

Of course I sit on the high horse of Catholicism, which already means they don't trust anything I say about the Bible lol.

I'm a practicing protestant and it's still the same reaction from them. We've had the discussion on here before, but I'm sick that they hijacked the term "evangelical." Frustrating beyond belief, as they support non-Christian laws as well as the most immoral, unethical political leaders they can. It is regularly a guise for rampant sexism/racism/anti-poor sentiment.

This is fucking disgusting. Ugh. Everytime I walk into poligaf there is something to get me so sad in humanity. :(
Yup, basically me with this. It's so frustrating to see people who claim to follow a religion ignore 90% in favour of some extra-religious bullshit.
I wonder how many white evangelicals have actually read the Bible.

Because this city living liberal has, quite a few times. And went through 12 years of Catholic education. And almost became a priest.

I hate how rusty my Bible study has become, though.

Nothing quite like arguing with a crazy evangelical and being able to quote verse after verse after verse in the bible about how massive hypocrites they are and how Jesus would be ashamed of what they've become.

Of course I sit on the high horse of Catholicism, which already means they don't trust anything I say about the Bible lol.
It's hilarious to watch as Protestants find themselves trapped by their hypocritical stances, but it's also so depressing to me. I'm currently a lapsed protestant because I was noticing the hypocrisy run wild among members of a church. Like, Martin Luther' s actions were because the Catholic Church wasn't using the Bible as the law, so why does Joel Osteen somehow get an excuse for this? I'm actually looking into the RCIA because it's stupid how deep it has crept into Protestant theology.
Jesus christ that sums it all up right there doesn't it?
Yup, Dems want to generally help everyone, Republicans want to help Businesses.

I'm almost expecting for Trump to give Businesses human rights at this point.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Looks like she's running in MA-8. If she's going to primary anyone, I guess Lynch is the right person in the MA delegation to primary.

At least she's put some thought into this. If she's smart she'll work to become really knowledge about the district so Lynch can't embarrass her like DWS did to her opponent.

Chelsea's a traitor and useful idiot, but she was being tortured in prison so she should be released because the punishment doesn't come close to fitting the crime.

JP_

Banned
So, Assange only promised to be extradited to US (based on Manning's clemency) because he thinks he'll get favorable treatment from Trump's White House or nah? Think he'll even follow through?

Booker, you piece of shit, you better fucking vote no.

That goes for Manchin and Heitkamp as well, but less because they're in a dangerous spot whereas Booker is in the opposite of that.

48 Dems+Rubio+McCain+Graham is enough to block Tillerson (who clearly is completely unprepared and unqualified for the job along with possibly being a stooge).

Hawaii seems like a nice state to try some Democrat experiments. Like, Hawaii could maybe create a health care system of its own. It's so small and completely Democrat controlled.

We basically have our own little Democrat Kansas we can sandbox ideas in.

Crocodile

So what House/Senate votes are going on this week? What should I pester my Senator about aside from "don't repeal Obamacare" and "stop fucking with the ethics office"?

Ogodei

Chelsea's a traitor and useful idiot, but she was being tortured in prison so she should be released because the punishment doesn't come close to fitting the crime.

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter, though fair to the "traitor" part, she was probably suffering from gender dysphoria at the time, and she actually decided to face the music, unlike Snowden (who, in an alternate universe, would have been announced for a commutation alongside her today).

Looks like she's running in MA-8. If she's going to primary anyone, I guess Lynch is the right person in the MA delegation to primary.

Living in that very district I can tell you her chances ain't good. Lynch is well liked here, it's going to be a hard up hill battle for her.

Bernie's question to DeVos was fire.

“Do you think that if your family had not made hundreds of thousands of dollars in contributions to the Republican Party that you would be sitting here today?”

Kusagari

Bernie's question to DeVos was fire.

“Do you think that if your family had not made hundreds of thousands of dollars in contributions to the Republican Party that you would be sitting here today?”

He looked frustrated as hell after his questioning ended. He knows the woman is a disaster.

Booker, you piece of shit, you better fucking vote no.

That goes for Manchin and Heitkamp as well, but less because they're in a dangerous spot whereas Booker is in the opposite of that.

48 Dems+Rubio+McCain+Graham is enough to block Tillerson (who clearly is completely unprepared and unqualified for the job along with possibly being a stooge).
I thought Tillerson had a good shot at getting blocked until Booker showed again that he's terrible.

Are there any Republicans that have shown hesitation about confirming DeVos? I'm not aware of any with any real ideological reason to oppose her since she's pretty mainstream Republican. Same with any of the other terrible appointees.

I thought Tillerson had a good shot at getting blocked until Booker showed again that he's terrible.

Are there any Republicans that have shown hesitation about confirming DeVos? I'm not aware of any with any real ideological reason to oppose her since she's pretty mainstream Republican. Same with any of the other terrible appointees.

You would get DeVos in a Rubio administration. She's getting confirmed.

EDIT: Good lord.

@georgejoseph94
Sen Kaine asks if all states should uphold same standards for kids with disabilities
#BetsyDeVos: that's an issue best left to the states

lol, yeah she was literally being asked about a federal law and all she could say was "uh, I think that's best left to the states"

It's like her right-wing school privitization circuitry was stuck in an infinite loop

What's the big deal with hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations? You can blow through millions like nothing. 200k is really not a lot of money if it happens over time.

Look at NC:

http://wfae.org/post/numbers-are-breaking-down-ncs-2016-voter-demographics

For most of us who study North Carolina politics, 2008’s election was the great demarcation in terms of the state being a “strong Republican” presidential state (George W. Bush won by 13 percentage points) to a competitive battleground. 2008’s election saw a notable difference from 2004’s election in that registered Democrats matched registered Republicans in their turnout.

In both 2012 and 2016, the slight dip in Democratic turnout may point to the narrow wins for both Romney and Trump, with Trump’s wider margin of victory (3.6 percent vs. 2 percent for Romney) also due to the increased GOP turnout from four years ago.

Party affiliation, by most accounts, is a determining factor when it comes to a voter’s choice in an election and how they see the political world, and this year’s nearly 90 percent vote by partisan self-identifiers continues a long-developing trend. But race is also an important factor when it comes to making North Carolina a competitive battleground state, especially when it came to reconstructing the potential Obama coalition dynamics from 2008.

Key:

However, among current registered North Carolina voters who voted in 2012 but didn’t show this year, 46 percent were registered Democrats, 28 percent were unaffiliated, and 26 percent were Republicans. Of the registered Democrats, 82 percent were black voters; if these 169,800 black Democrats had shown up, Trump’s margin of victory could have been significantly smaller, with nearly 90 percent of black voters casting ballots for Clinton, per exit polls.

Non voters killed Hillary in NC.

turnout_by_party_registration.jpg

turnout_by_race.jpg

turnout_by_age.jpg

I desperately wish the DeVos family would lose all of their money. What a terrible group of people.

I mean, their money came from a pyramid scheme. They really should lose it, except they made enough of it to become politically connected and make that legal.

Look at NC:

Key:

Non voters killed Hillary in NC.

More confirmation that going forward we need to get our base to turn out, rather than drop social issues in a misguided attempt to get the votes of bigots.

I also think it's unreasonable to expect 2008 level turnout for the youth vote that could push a Democrat over the edge. My takeaway from those NC numbers is like PA for so many years, it seems juuuuust out of reach outside of wave elections (like 08).

That could obviously change with demos + Trump's favorables dip + nominating a more NC friendly candidate (see: Roy Cooper himself). But I wouldn't expect NC to turn into a VA like situation on its own by 2020.

I mean, your voters aren't motivated to turn out when your marginal voters think that your candidate is a criminal and racist.

(Hillary isn't a criminal and is less racist than most white Dems, but that was the perception).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom