• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I could not follow that conversation at all. Who is trying to say what?

I could not follow that conversation at all. Who is trying to say what?

Zaid Jilani (dumbass Intercept writer) says that a Senator from Hawaii should be primaried because he cast a meaninglessly yes vote on confirming the CIA director.

Bernie's GOTV person says that's stupid.

I think literally the only thing Zaid Jilani has gotten right over the last six years is that he knows Tulsi Gabbard is a Hindu Nationalist, lol.

kess

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some weirdo in this administration who would like to bring back DDT, what with the massive hate boner the right has for Rachel Carson. It's been something that I've seen discussed here and there for years.

Chrissakes, the USDA gag order is really unprecedented. It would be like people in the 20s trying to deny the fact that lead arsenate is bad for your health.

He keeps no promises. He'll obscure all facts and figures and provide alternative facts.

Expect a lot of "Life has become better, comrades. Life has become merrier!"

Guys like Stalin and Mao and Chavez actually were respected by their people so people could buy into their conspiracies.

Trump is a clown like Maduro that no respects and no one believes.

I can appreciate modbot shutting down the press briefings thread as a fork of PoliGAF, largely because it was impossible to really pick out what we might think is a "separate enough" discussion. Posting frequency here is a lot lower as it's in Community and people might need to be pointed here from any of the dozen Trump threads we're going to have per day that'll inevitably have duplicated content and discussion.

Unfortunately the only fix here is better education of other members, which isn't easy. I was going to say that having something like "The Administration |OT|" or similar exclusively to catch-all on daily topics and not the broader range of things that PoliGAF can go over, but after thinking about it further I can see how that would be extremely difficult to moderate and contain. Again, it would only work well if every participating person knew the "rules" there, which is asking far too much. Coping with multiple news threads daily seems like a necessary evil, even if it bloats the forum some.

Apologies if this sounds like backseat modding, but the goal here should be working to lower and simplify the overall work load of the mod crew in a situation I do not envy them having to deal with.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
You know, I wasn't really clear on whether Bernie was a protectionist or not. I haven't seen him specifically talk about what tax rates he would charge businesses who outsource or other methods of punishment. Thom Hartmann, who I think it is a pretty smart guy, seems to agree with both Bernie and even Trump as well, so I don't know what to think.

JP_

Banned
You know, I wasn't really clear on whether Bernie was a protectionist or not. I haven't seen him specifically talk about what tax rates he would charge businesses who outsource or other methods of punishment. Thom Hartmann, who I think it is a pretty smart guy, seems to agree with both Bernie and even Trump as well, so I don't know what to think.
Bernie is pretty protectionist -- more than I'd like. And Thom Hartmann is the RT host, right...?

JP_

Banned
I like people who are protectionists. The "entire" left in my country is very protectionist.
Personally I think protectionism is short sighted. Protectionism seems to forget that trade is important for world peace. Unrestricted trade does hurt the low skill labor in the wealthier country, but I think that can be addressed by the government reinvesting some the gains from trade back into those people.

Subtle

Personally I think protectionism is short sighted. Protectionism seems to forget that trade is important for world peace. Unrestricted trade does hurt the low skill labor in the wealthier country, but I think that can be addressed by the government reinvesting some the gains from trade back into those people.

Why does no discussion on trade talk about the benefits of peace? That's a huge plus in my book.

aTTckr

There might actually some benefits to puting a tax on outsourcing jobs and other protectionist nonsense since it would further incentivize investment into automation.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Reading that Justice Dem thread, I get the feeling people don't completely understand how the Tea Party was able to actually amass power?

Reading that Justice Dem thread, I get the feeling people don't completely understand how the Tea Party was able to actually amass power?
Koch money. Where are they getting theirs from?

There might actually some benefits to puting a tax on outsourcing jobs and other protectionist nonsense since it would further incentivize investment into automation.
Further advancing the real culprit for most reduction in unskilled labour...

Why does no discussion on trade talk about the benefits of peace? That's a huge plus in my book.
This is often overlooked. The basic purpose of the EU is preservation of peace. The interlinking of economies is a big part of ensuring this.

Similarly, the prospect of actual military conflict between China and the US is significantly diminished by how interdependent they are.

aTTckr

Further advancing the real culprit for most reduction in unskilled labour...

Which is the benefit of protectionism I meant. The sooner there are no unskilled manufacturing jobs left, the better. This weird fetishizing of manufacturing jobs is really hurting economies everywhere.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Ok, so folks get it here at least.

I mean, the idea of primarying Dems with outside money + more left-leaning candidates works if you're doing it in an area where the R has no chance of winning (like, you could do it in Washington for instance). So saying that the more left leaning folks will lose in the general election is a non-starter, because you shouldn't be doing it in any district / state you actually have a chance of losing in. You also sort of need a wave election in some areas, because that provides cover for the more extreme folks to still win if you want to be the majority of the Dem Party.

Because 2010 was a mid-term, and the end of a decade, and had the contentious ACA go through (and cause a heavier than normal backlash), it led to a bit of a perfect storm (along with craptons of money being poured in). Winning the 2010 wave election across the country also let them gerrymander a ton of the districts, meaning that you were no longer worrying about facing a competitive general election in most cases (wave elections not withstanding), and the primary was in fact the actual election. Add in a super ineffective GOP leadership, and voila, you're set.
I don't think we're going to get quite that lucky on the Dem side. Also, all that said, I think the Tea Party was a terrible thing for the GOP long-term, and I think trying to ideologically purify the Dem Party in a similar way is also a terrible idea.

Which is the benefit of protectionism I meant. The sooner there are no unskilled manufacturing jobs left, the better. This weird fetishizing of manufacturing jobs is really hurting economies everywhere.
I'm fine with this.

Provided you can then convince these people to take up denigrated "pink jobs" instead of bitching about their old jobs, old pay and old privilege.

studyguy

Tea Party was not the Republicans proper by any margin. Maybe they're synonymous now but there's a reason why Boehner was basically a man on a fucking wild bull trying to wrangle in these people who refused to do anything but dig their heels in till they bucked him off for Ryan. Look how well that was going for Ryan till Trump showed up.

sphagnum

Banned

It's not weird, it's what people remember from the good old days. Back when a guy could provide for his whole family by himself, own a home, get a pension, with the union at his back.

People just want what used to be around because laissez-faire post-industrial economics, with all of the cool stuff and new opportunities they have brought, have failed to provide them security.

Wag

Holy shit. How can anyone trust the President when even his own lawyers all disagree with him on the illegal voter nonsense he's spouting?

He's insane.

mo60

Ok, so folks get it here at least.

I mean, the idea of primarying Dems with outside money + more left-leaning candidates works if you're doing it in an area where the R has no chance of winning (like, you could do it in Washington for instance). So saying that the more left leaning folks will lose in the general election is a non-starter, because you shouldn't be doing it in any district / state you actually have a chance of losing in. You also sort of need a wave election in some areas, because that provides cover for the more extreme folks to still win if you want to be the majority of the Dem Party.

Because 2010 was a mid-term, and the end of a decade, and had the contentious ACA go through (and cause a heavier than normal backlash), it led to a bit of a perfect storm (along with craptons of money being poured in). Winning the 2010 wave election across the country also let them gerrymander a ton of the districts, meaning that you were no longer worrying about facing a competitive general election in most cases (wave elections not withstanding), and the primary was in fact the actual election. Add in a super ineffective GOP leadership, and voila, you're set.
I don't think we're going to get quite that lucky on the Dem side. Also, all that said, I think the Tea Party was a terrible thing for the GOP long-term, and I think trying to ideologically purify the Dem Party in a similar way is also a terrible idea.

Well they are benefiting from it in the short-term.

Wilsongt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom