• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want Trump's next press conference to involve one or both of these questions.

"Do you think Bush was an accomplice on 9/11?"
"Do you think Hillary Clinton killed JFK Jr.?"

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Did he not pay attention to the media for the last, what, ten presidents that he's lived through?

The media is never really kind at all to the president once they're in office.

I know. It was surreal watching the Daily Show marathon of the Bush era before 9/11, and seeing how critical the media was toward him until 9/11 happened and the entire media fell in line behind him for the next 5 years.

Obama had it even worse, inheriting such huge problems as the 2 wars and the housing crisis, and day one defending his Guantanamo and anti-torture positions.

If anything, Trump's getting off easy.

Y'all see this earlier? Chris Hayes just retweeted it.

https://twitter.com/abgutman/status/823930272634798082

Abraham Gutman
‏@abgutman

Text from a bill proposed by @SenMikeLee (R-UT) and @RepGosar (R-AZ). This is not a drill people. This is war on evidence-based-policy.

C28vfIiW8AI3N0k.jpg

So can democrats please start suing trump and challenging literally EVERYTHING he does in the courts like Republicans did with Obama?

Hello?

Do any of these fuckers we voted in have a pulse ?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Maybe Trump thinks if he signs all those executive actions early on he can then take a long vacation and come back to win in 2020 having done nothing else. He'd come back just for the campaign.

Wag

So is Bannon feeding Trump all these conspiracy theories? Apparently the guy believes this shit.

He's off his nut.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe laws against racial databases aren't a bad thing at the moment...
Doesn't say you can't keep a database of people based on race for the implementation of your racist police state. You just can't make one that let's you map illegal redlining and other racist lending practices!

Edit Yes I know you were in jest

Christ, Tim Kaine voted for Pompeo?

Sure is doing a lot make me dislike him lately.

Outside of someone completely unqualifird like Tillerson the president gets to choose his cabinet. Most Obama appointees breezed through with even more votes. Like i said though, whoever votes for sessions is on my shit list

Pixieking

Banned
The president picks the cabinet. These votes for the cabinet should be 100% ignored

It's all "norms" though - the norm is that the Senate confirms unless unqualified to the nth degree. Asking Dems to break norms is like asking Trump to follow them - it just ain't gonna happen.

Edit: Oh, which is what you were kinda saying.

It's wayyyy too early here, sorry. :p (a little after 6am.)

There's nothing to sue over. Nothing has been passed or implemented yet.
Had obama been in the position Trump was currently in, with his conflicts of interest, he would have been sued for 10,000 different reasons by the GOP already

let alone had he used executive power so early and so often, despite having all branches of governement.. they'd be lining up 10,000 more

Yet they've done nothing. I've not heard a single democrat complain about executive overreach or their hypocracy right now

Had obama been in the position Trump was currently in, with his conflicts of interest, he would have been sued for 10,000 different reasons by the GOP already

let alone had he used executive power so early and so often, despite having all branches of governement.. they'd be lining up 10,000 more

Yet they've done nothing. I've not heard a single democrat complain about executive overreach or their hypocracy right now

He's already being sued.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Trump just deleted a tweet -- that could potentially be a violation of the Presidential Records Act.

More importantly,

HE'S TWEETING FROM A FUCKING ANDROID

is he ACTUALLY TWEETING FROM HIS UNSECURE PERSONAL DEVICE

He should be tweeting from an unsecure personal device because Twitter is unsecure. As long as he's keeping the secure stuff on his secure phone, that's actually ideal.

Hillary's self admited biggest mistake was not bothering with the easy task of using two different phones. I'd imagine it'd be easy to get Trump to comply by just telling him that.

Trump's executive order would ban Trump from entering the United States if he was living in a Muslim country.

The executive order is expected to include a list of acts that would disqualify an individual from entering the U.S., two sources briefed on the language said. People who commit honor killings, bigotry, violence against women, or who persecute against people on the basis of religion, race, gender, or sexual orientation, would not be admitted, they said. The U.S. already denies admission to persecutors, criminals and human rights abusers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-muslim-ban-refugees_us_58877244e4b096b4a2349927

How much power does Trump have to build a wall, specially using executive funds? Like cutting billions dollars worth of programs to fund the wall.

A Fox will be elected without speakibg obe word
Appearing saintly in public on barley bread
Afterwards he will suddenly become a tyrant
Putting his foot on the throats of the greatest men

Pixieking

Banned
Evan McMullin ‏@Evan_McMullin 5m5 minutes ago

.@mindyfinn & I are excited to launch @StandUpRepublic, a new org that will help Americans defend liberty, equality & truth. Join us!

https://standuprepublic.com/

Debatable how useful it would be to the left, since it's McMullin, but anything that's anti-Trump is at least kinda useful.

Edit: Beaten

Edit 2:

Officials Beg Trump to Send Help After Storms Kill 20 Across South
Desperate officials pleaded with President Donald Trump to send federal assistance Monday after at least 20 people were killed by storms and tornadoes that caused devastation authorities likened to the impact of a nuclear blast.

Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant said he had dispatched a letter to Trump pleading for help after four people were killed in his state. He said more 1,000 homes were damaged in Hattiesburg and surrounding Forrest County alone — 239 of which were obliterated.

In Dougherty County, Georgia, where four people were killed, county commission Chairman Chris Cohilas said Monday that he has been "begging FEMA for boots on the ground," referring to the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Trump's Katrina moment already?

RoKKeR

https://standuprepublic.com/

Debatable how useful it would be to the left, since it's McMullin, but anything that's anti-Trump is useful.

Edit: beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-10.

They've been teasing this for a while now, hope we'll get more details soon. I'm really fired up in general - especially after today - and want to try to get involved in something. I voted for McMullin in the election (I live in Utah) and his message really, really resonated with me, so I am very happy to see that it will have a platform and place to live in the meantime.

Not sure if OT thread worthy? Things are a bit congested in there atm

Mother of god, the front page is FULL of "President Trump" threads, and their titles are all fucking terrifying.

- the wall
- feds to stop violence in Chicago
- banning refugees
- gutting EPA, denying science
- oil pipelines
- supreme court pick
- him losing popular vote because of illegal votes
- CNN is fake news

I would have expected my imagination of his first days as President to be more dramatic and horrible than reality, but here we are.

At the risk of sounding dramatic, I do hope that democratic forces (voting public, media, ngo's, ...) are vigilant because things could go south quickly. We're so used to democracy being just there and safe, that a president with tyranical tendensies could do a lot of damage before opposition really kick into action. Safeguard your rights, americans (free press, fair trial, freedom to protest, no excessive force, separation of powers, ...) because your president has a deep disdain for all of it.

Pixieking

Banned
They've been teasing this for a while now, hope we'll get more details soon. I'm really fired up in general - especially after today - and want to try to get involved in something. I voted for McMullin in the election (I live in Utah) and his message really, really resonated with me, so I am very happy to see that it will have a platform and place to live in the meantime.

Not sure if OT thread worthy? Things are a bit congested in there atm

I dunno... There doesn't seem to be much detail on the site, but on the flip-side, people could probably use some good news on OT, so.... *shrugs* :p

I would have expected my imagination of his first days as President to be more dramatic and horrible than reality, but here we are.

At the risk of sounding dramatic, I do hope that democratic forces (voting public, media, ngo's, ...) are vigilant because things could go south quickly. We're so used to democracy being just there and safe, that a president with tyranical tendensies could do a lot of damage before opposition really kick into action. Safeguard your rights, americans (free press, fair trial, freedom to protest, no excessive force, separation of powers, ...).

I don't think it's too alarmist to say that if things go south, there's a very real possibility of large-scale mass protests the like of which the US hasn't seen, if not a full blown civil war.

This is shockingly reckless of Trump, and the GOP must see that.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Mother of god, the front page is FULL of "President Trump" threads, and their titles are all fucking terrifying.

- the wall
- feds to stop violence in Chicago
- banning refugees
- gutting EPA, denying science
- oil pipelines
- supreme court pick
- him losing popular vote because of illegal votes
- CNN is fake news

At the risk of sounding dramatic, I do hope that democratic forces (voting public, media, ngo's, ...) are vigilant because things could go south quickly. We're so used to democracy being just there and safe, that a president with tyranical tendensies could do a lot of damage before opposition really kick into action. Safeguard your rights, americans (free press, fair trial, freedom to protest, no excessive force, separation of powers, ...) because your president has a deep disdain for all of it.

The only box not checked is fucking around with nukes. So

Pixieking

Banned
Katrina killed around 3 thousand people, cost billions of dollars in damages and took years for New Orleans to come back and recover from. This isn't on that level.

The destruction isn't on that level, no... But it wasn't just the destruction that hit W, it was the complete lack of empathy and the complete lack of preparedness that really floored him and his administration.

Georgia and Mississippi, man, where Trump won and can do no wrong. Right?

The only box not checked is nukes. So

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/democrats-bill-bar-trump/2017/01/24/id/770225/

Dems Propose Bill to Bar Trump From First Nuke Use Without Congressional Approval

Two Democratic lawmakers introduced a bill that would prevent President Donald Trump from launching a nuclear first strike unless Congress issues a declaration of war.

Massachusetts Sen. Edward J. Markey and California Rep. Ted W. Lieu made the announcement of the legislation on Lieu's website.

"It is a frightening reality that the U.S. now has a Commander-in-Chief who has demonstrated ignorance of the nuclear triad, stated his desire to be 'unpredictable' with nuclear weapons, and as president-elect, was making sweeping statements about U.S. nuclear policy over Twitter," Lieu, a California Democrat, said.

"Nuclear war poses the greatest risk to human survival. Yet, President Trump has suggested that he would consider launching nuclear attacks against terrorists. Unfortunately, by maintaining the option of using nuclear weapons first in a conflict, U.S. policy provides him with that power."

Katrina killed around 3 thousand people, cost billions of dollars in damages and took years for New Orleans to come back and recover from. This isn't on that level.

I mean, it's still a pretty bad look for tornadoes to kill a bunch of people in mobile homes in the Deep South and Trump to seemingly have no interest.

That's Trump not caring about the most hardcore of his base dying.

The destruction isn't on that level, no... But it wasn't just the destruction that hit W, it was the complete lack of empathy and the complete lack of preparedness that really floored him and his administration.

Georgia and Mississippi, man, where Trump won and can do no wrong. Right?
Katrina was a government disaster not seen on that level for at least half a century. No offense to you, but i don't think people really realize how awful it was. Katrina significantly changed East Texas and Katrina culturally for a decade at least. this doesn't come close.

Pixieking

Banned
Katrina was a government disaster not seen on that level for at least half a century. No offense to you, but i don't think people really realize how awful it was. Katrina significantly changed East Texas and Katrina culturally for a decade at least. this doesn't come close.

Oh, no offense taken. :) I don't mean to draw the same cultural/social/geographical parallels, but rather, this point:

I mean, it's still a pretty bad look for tornadoes to kill a bunch of people in mobile homes in the Deep South and Trump to seemingly have no interest.

That's Trump not caring about the most hardcore of his base dying.

The same political/optics angle as W and FEMA being slow to react and not caring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom