• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

I'm buying into the idea that Trump didn't want Spicer is running the tactic of letting his press sec take a knife in the back by forcibly making him go out there and lie to lose credibility so he can remove him and put someone else in.

Umberto Eco also has a 14 point description of fascism, which I assume is what Britt is inspired by.

Wanted to mention this as well. Here's an abridged list of his 14 points:

1. The cult of tradition. “One has only to look at the syllabus of every fascist movement to find the major traditionalist thinkers. The Nazi gnosis was nourished by traditionalist, syncretistic, occult elements.”

2. The rejection of modernism. “The Enlightenment, the Age of Reason, is seen as the beginning of modern depravity. In this sense Ur-Fascism can be defined as irrationalism.”

3. The cult of action for action’s sake. “Action being beautiful in itself, it must be taken before, or without, any previous reflection. Thinking is a form of emasculation.”

4. Disagreement is treason. “The critical spirit makes distinctions, and to distinguish is a sign of modernism. In modern culture the scientific community praises disagreement as a way to improve knowledge.”

5. Fear of difference. “The first appeal of a fascist or prematurely fascist movement is an appeal against the intruders. Thus Ur-Fascism is racist by definition.”

6. Appeal to social frustration. “One of the most typical features of the historical fascism was the appeal to a frustrated middle class, a class suffering from an economic crisis or feelings of political humiliation, and frightened by the pressure of lower social groups.”

7. The obsession with a plot. “The followers must feel besieged. The easiest way to solve the plot is the appeal to xenophobia.”

8. The enemy is both strong and weak. “By a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak.”

9. Pacifism is trafficking with the enemy. “For Ur-Fascism there is no struggle for life but, rather, life is lived for struggle.”

10. Contempt for the weak. “Elitism is a typical aspect of any reactionary ideology.”

11. Everybody is educated to become a hero. “In Ur-Fascist ideology, heroism is the norm. This cult of heroism is strictly linked with the cult of death.”

12. Machismo and weaponry. “Machismo implies both disdain for women and intolerance and condemnation of nonstandard sexual habits, from chastity to homosexuality.”

13. Selective populism. “There is in our future a TV or Internet populism, in which the emotional response of a selected group of citizens can be presented and accepted as the Voice of the People.”

14. Ur-Fascism speaks Newspeak. “All the Nazi or Fascist schoolbooks made use of an impoverished vocabulary, and an elementary syntax, in order to limit the instruments for complex and critical reasoning.”

The entire essay can be found here: http://www.nybooks.com/articles/1995/06/22/ur-fascism/

I don't want to sound too bleak, guys, but I think that most of these 14 criteria can be attributed to the current situation already :-///

Wilsongt

Wanted to mention this as well. Here's an abridged list of his 14 points:

The entire essay can be found here: http://www.nybooks.com/articles/1995/06/22/ur-fascism/

I don't want to sound too bleak, guys, but I think that most of these 14 criteria can be attributed to the current situation already :-///

NPR was talking about this yesterday. The writer they were interviewing would call what is happening in the US less facism and more authoritarian.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
ChuckGrassley Verified account
‏@ChuckGrassley

PresTrump pls issue order to all in ur executive branch ppl to answer all Senator requests for RECORDS so we can do oversight

This is just...I can't even. GOP Senators tweeting this to get information from a GOP president.

List of things that have kept every Trump voter from becoming addicted to heroin:

-The Mexican government's war on drugs.

Trump is gonna kill off a lot of his voters if he keeps fucking with Mexico.

Take away foreign aid, tariffs, etc are what I've seen proposed.

Ignoring that many of those things will hurt U.S. citizens.. That and it definitely wouldn't cover the whole wall.

Foreign aid pays for the fact that America's drug addiction and stupid drug laws kill thousands of Mexicans every year.

Mexico ain't gonna keep letting their people die to keep heroin away from Trumpers if Trump wants to go down this path.

How many stupid articles about suffering white Americans and why they're suffering so bad that they have to vote Trump will be written after Trump's policies start killing huge numbers of white Americans?

Americans are really stupid for thinking that politicians don't do what they say they're going to do.

Politicians don't always believe what they say, but they do what they say they'll do.

I've seen a lot of "Wow, politicians actually keep their promises?!?" and it's like... Umm, yes, do your homework for the first time in your life and stop being a dumbfuck.

UberTag

He doesn't like answering questions about "things that are floating around", yet is fine with talking about the mysterious evidence of the voter fraud.
And those "things that are floating around" are official government memos ordering the EPA and other scientific agencies to shut the fuck up, have their climate change websites shut down and have all of their projects vetted.

But let's just pretend those things don't exist.

So going to cut funding to Cities?

As much as Trump is going to love how high the stock market is right now.
How can you defund some of your top cities without causing issues?

UberTag

She hasn't been wrong so far.
I'm sure she's wrong about Trump's comments in 2014 about how the only way to make America great again was to trigger economic collapse and riots. He was just talking about what would happen if Obamacare got pushed through. Nothing to worry about at all.

So even though she's been right about everything else so far I'm sure that one thing - which we have video evidence of Trump saying - she'll be wrong about that.

So nothing to worry about, folks. The Dow just cracked 20K. Let's party!

NPR was talking about this yesterday. The writer they were interviewing would call what is happening in the US less facism and more authoritarian.
Speaking of authoritarian crackdowns and Sarah Kendzior, look what she just linked to on her Twitter page...

Seven Things to Look for in an Authoritarian Crackdown - Joshua Foust

Americans are really stupid for thinking that politicians don't do what they say they're going to do.

Politicians don't always believe what they say, but they do what they say they'll do.

I've seen a lot of "Wow, politicians actually keep their promises?!?" and it's like... Umm, yes, do your homework for the first time in your life and stop being a dumbfuck.

It's better to say that they'll try to do wot they said they would

For example, obama said that he'd have the most transparent administration evah, with an unprecedented level of openness, and heck, i'm sure he gave that a shot in some ways. The results, however, were...whatever the fuck they ended up being.

Same goes for a lotta clinton promisses. I'm sure she'd give, say, criminal justice reform a shot, be promptly cockblocked by congress, and that's that. Sure would try tho

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I always thought the Union would have to split up, but not for another 80-100 years at least. Trumpism might move it up to 2040-2050 though.

EPN thinking of canceling the meeting.

Bad call, EPN needs to keep the meeting scheduled and then punch Trump to the ground in front of all the cameras and then teabag him.

This is literally the only thing that resurrect EPN's approval ratings.

UberTag

Probably need to pass a VOTER TEST now to be eligible to vote.
But that could be abused to disqualify people you don't like from voting. (gasp)

I wonder if they'll take a page from the Stephen Harper playbook and have Republican auto-dialers direct targeted voters to the incorrect polling stations. That happened in Canada in 2011.
Have them show up, vote and then disqualify their votes after the fact because they voted in the wrong place. How amusing that would be.

EPN thinking of canceling the meeting.

Bad call, EPN needs to keep the meeting scheduled and then punch Trump to the ground in front of all the cameras and then teabag him.

This is literally the only thing that resurrect EPN's approval ratings.

EPN has openly stated he would not be confrontational.
Dude's approval is something like 12% now, it's hard to go lower than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom