• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hogwash. You know what you need? Charisma. That's it. Period. That is the only thing the American voting public cares about. Bill Clinton notched a win over a decorated war hero because he was effortlessly charming. The Republicans then ran a desiccated pineapple scion against him and got crushed. So they come back with a charming goofball. And even though Gore was clearly more intelligent and had better policies, he loses, because he's perceived as "boring." Then the Democrats bring in John Kerry, a reanimated husk of Balsa wood. They're only able to recapture the Presidency through an inspirational guy who is so charming he makes Bill Clinton look like Alex Jones. McCain had more experience, he's a war hero, and people arguably liked his policies more... but he doesn't stand a chance against Obama's personality. So let's get someone who is reasonably charming but hopelessly out of touch... nope, not good enough, sorry Mitt.

Now 2016 is weird. Because Donald Trump is not "charming" in any way, shape or form. But apparently people like his style of presentation. Hillary, by contrast, is reserved; even her most ardent supporters say she needs to try to be more "likable" on the campaign trail. Because it turns out that the only thing "undecided" voters actually care about is personality. Period. We all know what the policies of the Republicans and Democrats are, and frankly, there's a hefty amount of overlap. The only way to get people out to actually vote is someone who is inspirational. All this nonsense about policy? Stop it. Yes, it's important to have good policy, but the people you're trying to convince, the swing voters, have never once demonstrated that is what sways their decision on election day. They vote for a cult of personality. So find a charming articulate son of a bitch and the policy pieces will fall into place.

This is the biggest problem in our country. The people will vote for style over substance every time. Democrats almost universally have the substance over Republicans at this point. We need to inspire. And, sadly, that usually means meaningless platitudes rather than actual policy.
And this is why Klobauchar and Warren should not run. They make me go to sleep.

We are at a point when people on GAF are posting that the American Civil War is a both sides are the same argument.
Growing up in the South, I feel like those people have always been out there. I mean, a major talking point of Southern apologists was wage slavery, which is basically a form of whataboutism/both-sides-ism. Maybe the country at large wasn't exposed to this stuff as much as I was.

Now we can't call those people traitors now?

Didn't you hear? It's in the constitution. Republicans and anyone who is associated with the Republicans cannot be called a traitor. On the other side it's fine calling anyone who is not white or sympathizes with any person of color a terrorist who does not understand American values.

Hogwash. You know what you need? Charisma. That's it. Period. That is the only thing the American voting public cares about. Bill Clinton notched a win over a decorated war hero because he was effortlessly charming. The Republicans then ran a desiccated pineapple scion against him and got crushed. So they come back with a charming goofball. And even though Gore was clearly more intelligent and had better policies, he loses, because he's perceived as "boring." Then the Democrats bring in John Kerry, a reanimated husk of Balsa wood. They're only able to recapture the Presidency through an inspirational guy who is so charming he makes Bill Clinton look like Alex Jones. McCain had more experience, he's a war hero, and people arguably liked his policies more... but he doesn't stand a chance against Obama's personality. So let's get someone who is reasonably charming but hopelessly out of touch... nope, not good enough, sorry Mitt.

Now 2016 is weird. Because Donald Trump is not "charming" in any way, shape or form. But apparently people like his style of presentation. Hillary, by contrast, is reserved; even her most ardent supporters say she needs to try to be more "likable" on the campaign trail. Because it turns out that the only thing "undecided" voters actually care about is personality. Period. We all know what the policies of the Republicans and Democrats are, and frankly, there's a hefty amount of overlap. The only way to get people out to actually vote is someone who is inspirational. All this nonsense about policy? Stop it. Yes, it's important to have good policy, but the people you're trying to convince, the swing voters, have never once demonstrated that is what sways their decision on election day. They vote for a cult of personality. So find a charming articulate son of a bitch and the policy pieces will fall into place.

This is the biggest problem in our country. The people will vote for style over substance every time. Democrats almost universally have the substance over Republicans at this point. We need to inspire. And, sadly, that usually means meaningless platitudes rather than actual policy.
I wish I could pin this to my wall.

Of the 2020 crowd I think it's Booker.

Hindl

I wish I could pin this to my wall.

Of the 2020 crowd I think it's Booker.

Booker makes me nervous. I get the feeling that he has Obama's charisma but not the deep knowledge and desire to learn about different subjects. All style and no substance. And the left would tear him apart over the Wall St ties

Booker makes me nervous. I get the feeling that he has Obama's charisma but not the deep knowledge and desire to learn about different subjects. All style and no substance. And the left would tear him apart over the Wall St ties
I just watched his speech at CAP, maybe it's because Trump has just lowered my expectations so much but he comes off as pretty well-read.

I definitely think he's consciously angling to be Obama 2.0 but if he has the smarts to back it up, eh, let him.

Hindl

I just watched his speech at CAP, maybe it's because Trump has just lowered my expectations so much that he comes off as pretty well-read.
He's a great speaker. Look at the DNC speech he gave it was inspiring. But, and others have said this, he strikes me as the Dem's Rubio. Young, attractive, charismatic minority who gives great speeches and projects tons of energy. And he's definitely more well-read than Rubio, but I haven't seen a lot from him that shows the wonkishness that Obama had underneath that charisma. Plus the triple threat of Wall Street, the Zuckerberg Newark schools debacle, and some general mismanagement during his time in Newark just makes me doubt his abilities. Shit the whole shoveling snow and hand-delivering diapers thing during the blizzard that makes everyone love him was his fault because he couldn't properly distribute emergency services around the city. Still, 2020 is a long way away, maybe he can convince me

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
And this is why Klobauchar and Warren should not run. They make me go to sleep.

Biden, Franken, Kander are about the top of the heap when it comes to charisma for democrats.

Booker absolutely does not have Obama charisma

He also is horrible at reading the atmosphere. Even putting wallsteet ties or past comments aside, I don't believe in his ability to convince people he's on their side. Where's booker even been since the election? I haven't heard anything from him outside of his pitiful performances during the cabinet confirmations.

I'm on the Franken train until Further notice. Trump and his insane behavior has completely blindsided everyone in the party and almost everyone else other than him doesn't seem to know how to handle it. I don't feel like anyone else other than Franken has really quite been as comfortable in this situation or addressed the madness as appropriately as he has

Kusagari

Franken is the clear candidate to me in 2020 if he runs.

I'm still not sold on Kamala. She hasn't impressed me in any of her interviews since Trump took office.

What about a Kamala-Franken ticket?
Im just not seeing a reason to put her ahead of him at this moment. She has some time though to put it together, to be fair

Plus in the event she does win the primary I don't see Kamala picking Franken as VP. She'll likely pick a boring loyal patsy with as little controversial history as possible like Hillary did with Kaine

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Booker will get eaten by the left. They already tried a marketing campaign against him early in the year.

giphy.gif

I want whatever it takes to get to watch Al Franken completely dismember Trump in a debate.
I get the feeling our 2020 candidate won't be debating Trump.

I agree with Franken btw. I think Booker has more style but his potential drawbacks have been well stated. My voting preference goes Franken, Brown and then I'd have to think about it (should they not run, or be eliminated before I vote in the primary). Although if the GOP side has Kasich or McMullin (or someone) running against Trump I would probably end up voting in that.

Yuuuuuuup.

Hell, apparently the co-author of The Art of the Deal recently told Anderson Cooper in an interview he did recently that he thinks Trump is going to resign to try and save face from "losing."

Still, I'm liking Franken a lot. The idea of a Franken-Harris ticket sounds nice to me, especially if it's to prep Harris to run for President after 8 years of Franken as President.
I agree if things get too serious for Trump he'll probably resign and get Pence to pardon him. Then he can spend the rest of his life bitching on twitter about how great he would have been if only those mean ol' Dumbocrats didn't push him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom