• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zolo

giphy.gif

It sucks how there's no way to really defend against a suicide bomber. It also sucks that people can easily turn to extremism even via proxy since a terrorist group like ISIS is essentially confined to one area atm...

Although strict immigration policies work, I think there needs to be some sort of intervention in how terrorist propaganda is spread, but I don't know where to begin, and if going there will just lead to other issues like internet regulation.

Bah I dunno

Barzul

When Fox actually stops Hannity from airing his nonsense on the air, they will have done something. Retractions days after all the damage has been done is a pitiful effort at rectifying the situation they created.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Unless FNC is forced to have all anchors on screen repeat this retraction numerous times a day, it means nothing. They don't care, and the rubes who watch will firmly believe it until told otherwise.

The "A new foundation" catchphrase isn't really doing it for me in this budget.

"A new foundation"? Really?

That was Jimmy Carter's catchphrase in his 1979 State of the Union speech.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=32657

Tonight I want to examine in a broad sense the state of our American Union-how we are building a new foundation for a peaceful and a prosperous world.

The challenge to us is to build a new and firmer foundation for the future...

Together, we build the foundation for a strong economy...

Together, we build the foundation for a government that works—and works for people.

Together, we build the foundation for a stable world of both diversity and peace.

Together, we've already begun to build the foundation for confidence in our economic system.

We must continue to build a new and a firm foundation for a stable world community.

We are building that new foundation from a position of national strength...

We are building the foundation for truly global cooperation...

The new foundation of international cooperation that we seek excludes no nation.

The new foundation I've discussed tonight can help us build a nation and a world where every child is nurtured and can look to the future with hope...

As I recall, what were obviously meant to be applause lines were met with thundering yawns.

Ernest

Banned
Damn, denied again!

I'm starting to think the rumors of a pending divorce were true.

And she has him over a barrel - because she can leave him at any time and he's the one that would take the damage. Could you imagine a sitting president going through a divorce? With Trump, all things seem possible!

Damn, denied again!

I'm starting to think the rumors of a pending divorce were true.

And she has him over a barrel - because she can leave him at any time and he's the one that would take the damage. Could you imagine a sitting president going through a divorce? With Trump, all things seem possible!
I remember before PD was banned there was a constant discussion about Cuomo being unmarried and whether that would prevent him from becoming president.

Trump's marriage is in name only and by the end of his term, that might not even be the case.

I really wonder how many bullshit rules about who can be president, what constitutes too much baggage, etc. will be left standing once Trump is gone. Trump demonstrated that the GOP could nominate the closest thing to a literal sack of shit and still get 46% of the vote. Not that some Democrats wouldn't either, but liberals tend to be much pickier.

DonShula

That kind of money goes pretty far in Montana, too.

Just hope we don't have to deal with people bitching about the DNC blowing this, trying to re-litigate the primaries.
who am I kidding of course we will

The narrative is already written for Fox News. It'll be GA all over again. Dems slapped down. Trump will probably tweet about it too.

Vixdean

Before this foreign trip, when is the last time the two of them have had to stay together in the same room for an extended period of time?

Iowa's governor is resigning to be Trump's ambassador to China

I don't care how far gone the state is, if we don't seriously contest the governor's race next year something is wrong with the Democratic Party

If we put up a decent candidate and still get blown out, sure, write it off.

Holmes

I don't care how far gone the state is, if we don't seriously contest the governor's race next year something is wrong with the Democratic Party

It will be contested. There's already about 6 Democrats running for the nomination.

Worrying about contesting Iowa feels very four months ago. Given Quick's performance in MT, this race should nearly be a 50/50 shot depending on the candidates.

I thought Iowa was gone and Obama was an anomaly?
If anything Trump is the anomaly. Gore won Iowa and Kerry only lost it by 10,000 votes.

Obama masked a rightward shift while Trump was the perfect candidate to capitalize on that, but if that poll of Iowa's 1st is any indicator (Rod Blum is massively unpopular in his home district) that could boomerang right back.

Davide

Teggy

When Fox actually stops Hannity from airing his nonsense on the air, they will have done something. Retractions days after all the damage has been done is a pitiful effort at rectifying the situation they created.

Unless FNC is forced to have all anchors on screen repeat this retraction numerous times a day, it means nothing. They don't care, and the rubes who watch will firmly believe it until told otherwise.

Correct. None of their viewers will see the retraction, many will see hannity talk about Kim dotcom for an hour tonight.

I mean, Texas was closer than Iowa. We should absolutely be investing and contesting downballot everywhere, but it is likely that Iowa will no longer be considered a swing state at the presidential level.

If anything Trump is the anomaly. Gore won Iowa and Kerry only lost it by 10,000 votes.

Obama masked a rightward shift while Trump was the perfect candidate to capitalize on that, but if that poll of Iowa's 1st is any indicator (Rod Blum is massively unpopular in his home district) that could boomerang right back.

Ronald Brownstein‏ @RonBrownstein 1h1 hour ago

Ronald Brownstein Retweeted TheAtlanticPolitics
SNAP faces big cuts in #trumpbudget. But in IA non-col whites = 69% of households getting it: 57% OH, 55% WI, 52% MI, 50% PA-85% WV, 74% KY

Can't imagine what has caused the white working class to start looking at the Dems again...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL Schumer's office already crunched the numbers and found that the budget actually ends up in a net cut to infrastructure.

I mean, Texas was closer than Iowa. We should absolutely be investing and contesting downballot everywhere, but it is likely that Iowa will no longer be considered a swing state at the presidential level.
I mean sure, although keep in mind any successful primary candidate will already have an operation there.

Prioritizing other swing states over it in a presidential campaign is fine, I just think it's weird when people are ready to write off states forever that Obama won just five years ago. Ohio's in the same boat.

kirblar

I mean sure, although keep in mind any successful primary candidate will already have an operation there.

Prioritizing other swing states over it in a presidential campaign is fine, I just think it's weird when people are ready to write off states forever that Obama won just five years ago. Ohio's in the same boat.
We're writing them off because history moves forwards, not backwards, and the changes we're seeing w/ the Southern Strategy going national aren't going to undo themselves.

Doesn't that statistic mean that 85% of WV households that get food stamps are non-college educated whites? Surely it can't mean that 85% of non-college whites are on food stamps.

We're writing them off because history moves forwards, not backwards, and the changes we're seeing w/ the Southern Strategy going national aren't going to undo themselves.
Those Southern states aren't anywhere near electing Democratic senators on a consistent basis, especially a state like Georgia that has weird run-off rules. It's not enough for the 2020 candidate to scrape out a bare win in former red states, and if a state like Iowa can still elect Dem Senators or Congressmembers then we should keep investing in it.

Take Ohio as an example, losing Sherrod Brown would be devastating for the very slim odds that Democrats win back the Senate in the next four years.

It's not like we're going to win Arizona or Texas one day and those state GOPs go "Oh shit, guess we better concede those to the Democrats forever."

kirblar

Those Southern states aren't anywhere near electing Democratic senators on a consistent basis, especially a state like Georgia that has weird run-off rules. It's not enough for the 2020 candidate to scrape out a bare win in former red states, and if a state like Iowa can still elect Dem Senators or Congressmembers then we should keep investing in it.

It's not like we're going to win Arizona or Texas one day and those state GOPs go "Oh shit, guess we better concede those to the Democrats forever."
They're turning purple, not blue. No one said we expect these to be easy wins, just potential ones.

The issue is that chasing purple states that are turning red (at the presidential level) is wasting time and resources.

mo60

Iowa will possibly go back to being a swing state in 2020.By swing state I mean a red leaning swing state unless trump approval rating starts dropping like crazy. The same is true for Ohio. I highly doubt trump or whoever replaces him will be winning Iowa by as much as trump did in 2016.

They're turning purple, not blue.

The issue is that chasing purple states that are turning red (at the presidential level) is wasting time and resources.
Then we should clarify what writing off means because to me, saying you're going to write off a state is more significant than "deprioritize in presidential elections compared to red states turning purple."

That being said, Iowa is a cheap state to market in and can also help flip NE-2 because of shared media markets, so there wouldn't be much harm done in spending a little coin there in 2020. Wouldn't advise Zuckerberg to go visit there or anything though after he wins every state in the primary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom