• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nate Silver‏Verified account @NateSilver538 41s41 seconds ago
Replying to @NateSilver538

More succinctly: AHCA reduces health care spending by a trillion bucks and uses almost all the savings to finance tax cuts.

Wow. Literally a trillion dollar redistribution of wealth to the rich.

Teggy

What does this do, if anything, to Medicare? It bugs me that I haven't been able to taunt my parents for voting to take their healthcare away.

He deleted the tweet so I don't know

this shit happens to me all the time with twitter. why the fuck don't image resources have an optional tag representing original source (like an article or pdf or something)? if EXIF photos can tell me what kind of camera took the photo and when it was taken then surely we can bake a couple of kilobytes into a jpeg. the internet sucks, start over

Wow. Literally a trillion dollar redistribution of wealth to the rich.
it's a re-redistribution, the money came from them in the first place.

Ernest

Banned
It would be fucking suicide for anyone in the Senate to pass this.

Again, we're lucky that they're so bad at this, as they won't be able to actually get any of the idiot things they want passed

To this day I'm still utterly mystified why he didn't come out as a swinging dick firebrand early, and calm down as it became clearer Clinton would get the nom, but instead did it the other way around.
Because he was a combination of stubborn and stuck in his ways; selling his "brand" of not going negative and not running attack adds or attacking his opponent. He thought he could win by being "nice". When it didn't work, which should have been obvious it wasn't going to, he got angry and desperate.

Also his advisers were egg headed morons.

Teggy

That's for age 64. Medicare eligibility starts at 65.

Correct - this is why I want to know how it affects Medicare. I think a lot of older Trump voters are just sitting back and not caring because 'fuck you I got my very obviously not in any way government related Medicare."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'd much rather it not happen, but if this passed, we'd see full democratic control of the government by 2021.

ascii42

Correct - this is why I want to know how it affects Medicare. I think a lot of older Trump voters are just sitting back and not caring because 'fuck you I got my very obviously not in any way government related Medicare."

Medicare will probably be fine due to more people dying before they reach eligibility under this act.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Because he was a combination of stubborn and stuck in his ways; selling his "brand" of not going negative and not running attack adds or attacking his opponent. He thought he could win by being "nice". When it didn't work, which should have been obvious it wasn't going to, he got angry and desperate.

Also his advisers were egg headed morons.

Actually, according to everyone who ran against him in Vermont, the whole back-half of his campaign (with the accusations of corruption and the negativity) was far more "traditional Bernie Sanders campaign" than the front-half where he was all nice and shit. There was a small NYTimes article about it during the primary where they spoke to Dems and Republicans alike. They said he'd come out, claim the moral high ground, insinuate his opponent was corrupt for not believing what he did, and go from there.

Plinko

Ossoff just started packing up his things for a move to a new office, I think.

Actually, according to everyone who ran against him in Vermont, the whole back-half of his campaign (with the accusations of corruption and the negativity) was far more "traditional Bernie Sanders campaign" than the front-half where he was all nice and shit. There was a small NYTimes article about it during the primary where they spoke to Dems and Republicans alike. They said he'd come out, claim the moral high ground, insinuate his opponent was corrupt for not believing what he did, and go from there.

I believe it.

In the event he does run again (RIP Neogaf if he does) hope he at the very least isn't as stupid as he was the last time or behaves the same way. Next time he should hire people who know what they are doing and actually listen to them.

Armaros

I believe it.

In the event he does run again (RIP Neogaf if he does) hope he at the very least isn't as stupid as he was the last time or behaves the same way. Next time he should hire people who know what they are doing and actually listen to them.

Like Trump, he kept his long time people from Vermont and brought what he did there to the national stage.

Let's hope if he stays in national politics he gets a proper campaign staff.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I believe it.

If he does try again no one's going to go giving him the latitude that Clinton did. They're going to go in and hard and there's plenty there for them to work with.

When are people going to figure out tax cuts can't fix everything?

Never.

Ernest

Banned
For perspective, slashing only 1/6th of our defense budget would "save" us the same amount in taxes.
But, money to kill people > money to heal people
GOP priorities at its best!

I'd much rather it not happen, but if this passed, we'd see full democratic control of the government by 2021.
I would hope we'd get this without AHCA passing so the next Democratic president doesn't have to spend political capital early just to clean this mess up.

Plinko

Looks like Lindsey Graham is in favor of the AHCA:
Lindsey Graham‏Verified account @LindseyGrahamSC

Obamacare is a disaster and every day brings fresh evidence that it is collapsing before our very eyes.

This was minutes ago. What a terrible person.

For perspective, slashing only 1/6th of our defense budget would "save" us the same amount in taxes.
But, money to kill people > money to heal people
GOP priorities at its best!

People for some reason think that our military is responsible. They can't even pass a freakin audit. Please let's throw more money in that hole. Mind you we could be using that for education and other social services.

When are people going to figure out tax cuts can't fix everything?

Most conservative voters know that tax cuts for the rich aren't really going to help anything, but as long as republicans push for "Christian rights", anti abortion laws, gun rights, and sometimes institutionalized racism then they're willing to put up with something like this, even if it hurts them.

Pictures of their kegger with the text from the CBO report over it will be pretty good ads

I know the 23 million is the big headline, but to me the more garish stat from the report is that 13 million of that is THIS YEAR.

Plinko

He's blasting the ACA without talking about the AHCA.

Read between the lines slightly there. :)

Hmm...I read it as the ACA was destroying the country so therefore we needed something new, aka the AHCA.

kirblar

Hmm...I read it as the ACA was destroying the country so therefore we needed something new, aka the AHCA.
If he wanted to be associated with the AHCA, he would've mentioned with it.

To paraphrase a meme- he doesn't want to fix the problem, he just wants to run on hating Obamacare.

Teggy

He also posted this

Lindsey Graham @LindseyGrahamSC
·
9m

With today's news, the 'Collapse and Replace' of Obamacare may prove to be the most effective path forward.

So sounds like he's on team sabotage.

Pictures of their kegger with the text from the CBO report over it will be pretty good ads

I know the 23 million is the big headline, but to me the more garish stat from the report is that 13 million of that is THIS YEAR.

That 50 million stat is the big one for me. If this thing were to stay law for long enough, a seventh of the population would be out in the cold. That's insanely high. Worse than pre-ACA I think.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
New York Times - Top Russian Officials Discussed How to Influence Trump Aides Last Summer
WASHINGTON — American spies collected information last summer revealing that senior Russian intelligence and political officials were discussing how to exert influence over Donald J. Trump through his advisers, according to three current and former American officials familiar with the intelligence.

The conversations focused on Paul Manafort, the Trump campaign chairman at the time, and Michael T. Flynn, a retired general who was advising Mr. Trump, the officials said. Both men had indirect ties to Russian officials, who appeared confident that each could be used to help shape Mr. Trump’s opinions on Russia.

Some Russians boasted about how well they knew Mr. Flynn. Others discussed leveraging their ties to Viktor F. Yanukovych, the deposed president of Ukraine living in exile in Russia, who at one time had worked closely with Mr. Manafort.

The intelligence was among the clues — which also included information about direct communications between Mr. Trump’s advisers and Russian officials — that American officials received last year as they began investigating Russian attempts to disrupt the election and whether any of Mr. Trump’s associates were assisting Moscow in the effort. Details of the conversations, some of which have not been previously reported, add to an increasing understanding of the alarm inside the American government last year about the Russian disruption campaign.

Again, thank God that Trump and his administration(and the GOP as a whole) is fucking incompetent, because if they were actually smart there'd be so much more bad.

Like, Clinton losing sucked, but it's reinvigorated Democrats and shown how the Republicans can't do a damn thing that doesn't involve fucking over the poor and yelling about "evil Democrats"

This will not be news to anyone, but this really grinds my gears:

Washington Post: DeVos won't say whether she'd withhold federal funds from private schools that discriminate

Asked by Rep. Katherine M. Clark (D-Mass.) whether she could think of any circumstance in which the federal government should step in to stop federal dollars from going to private schools that discriminate against certain groups of students, DeVos did not directly answer.

”We have to do something different than continuing a top-down, one-size-fits-all approach," DeVos said.

Democrats immediately criticized DeVos's philosophy, saying the nation's top education official must be willing to defend children against discrimination by institutions that get federal money. ”To take the federal government's responsibility out of that is just appalling and sad," said Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.).

DeVos pushed back against the notion that the Education Department would be abdicating its authority. ”I am not in any way suggesting that students should not be protected," she said.

Elaborated on further here:

CNN: In heated hearing, DeVos doesn't rule out federal funds for private schools that discriminate

At the hearing, Clark asked DeVos whether if Indiana applied for that federal money DeVos would "in this case, say 'we are going to overrule and you cannot discriminate, whether it be on sexual orientation, race, special needs, in our voucher programs.' Will that be a guarantee from you for our students?"

DeVos responded, "For states who have programs that allow for parents to make choices, they set up the rules around that."

"So that's a no," Clark followed up.

Clark narrowed down further, and asked DeVos, "What if (a school) said we are not accepting African-American students, but that was OK with the state... Do you see any situation where you would step in?"

DeVos answered that the Department of Education's "Office of Civil Rights, and our Title IX protections, are broadly applicable across the board."

With her five minutes of questioning ticking down, Clark clarified, "there is no situation of discrimination or exclusion that if a state approved it for its voucher program that you would step in and say that's not how we're going to use federal dollars. ... Is that your testimony?"

DeVos began her response by referring to the real case of Lighthouse Christian Academy as a "hypothetical," before being corrected and adding that, "the bottom line is that we believe that parents are the best equipped to make choices for their children's school and education decisions, and too many children today are trapped in schools that don't work for them. We have to do something different."

"I am shocked that you cannot come up with one example of discrimination that you would stand up for students," Clark finished.

jtb

Banned
Democrats really need to stop leaving Lindsey Graham his dignity. He doesn't deserve it, because he'll turn around and say shit like this.

He's a wet fart like the rest of his party.

Yup. Playing nice with Republicans won't bring them to sanity. Only stark electoral realities will do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom