• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makai

Trump's right about Amazon not paying enough taxes, even if it's not an "internet tax." They pay really low rates relative to brick and mortar stores - big distortion in the market in favor of impersonal tech companies.

also lol

kirblar

Probably isn't worth its own thread- the Minimum wage in Denmark goes up 40% when kids hit the age of 18. As it turns out this comes w/ a pretty severe consequence w/ employer incentives: http://marginalrevolution.com/margi...nimum-wage-evidence-danish-discontinuity.html

minwage-3-1024x618.jpg
When the kids turn 18, about a third of them get let go.

I think the biggest takeaway for me here is actually that minimum wage exceptions are probably just a straight-up bad idea. Whether it's for U-18 kids or union workers- it's likely something that will warp business decisions in very unhealthy ways. We can see that the employment levels are recovering for them about a year and a half to two years later, but that rollercoaster track of a curve really shouldn't be present in the first place.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Sorry guys i think im not gonna respond to the (multiple) PMs since i dont think its a topic that should be spread since it was unconfirmed but it involved personal stuff about a specific user that was bad.

Zolo

We should move on before things get worse.

Yeah. Just drop it. Thread was deleted for a reason. Here's a recent politico article.

Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/28/trump-health-care-paul-collins-240065

Trump to warring GOP senators: I'm on your side
Rand Paul and Susan Collins are on opposite ends of the Republican Party when it comes to health care, yet somehow the two senators both left this week's Obamacare repeal meetings with President Donald Trump thinking he's on their side.

Paul wants to gut as much of Obamacare as possible and recalled after his one-on-one meeting that the president ”realizes that moderates have gotten everything so far" on the healthcare talks. The centrist Collins, on the other hand, left a larger Tuesday gathering with the president sure that he still wants to make the bill's healthcare offerings more robust, explaining that ”he did leave me with that impression."

Narroo

You know, I find it best to avoid entering threads that are obviously are going to be a ***show.

If any thread title contains anything about "Anita", "Gamergate," "race," or anything of the like, I just skip it and keep on browsing.

Although you got to admit, that stuff is a sort of politics; politics of gender and race which I suppose is kinda of topic for this thread.

You know, I find it best to avoid entering threads that are obviously are going to be a ***show.

If any thread title contains anything about "Anita", "Gamergate," "race," or anything of the like, I just skip it and keep on browsing.

Although you got to admit, that stuff is a sort of politics; politics of gender and race which I suppose is kinda of topic for this thread.

I enjoy them when I see them pop up because it's fun seeing how fast some people get banned. Then it gets tiring

~Kinggi~

Banned
I got so excited for the mega oppo this week its just been disappointing nothing happened. I feel like someone told the papers to keep quiet for now. Or maybe they want an extra big BOOM for the 4th holiday on Friday or Monday

chadskin

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s frustrations with the White House have been building for months. Last Friday, they exploded.

The normally laconic Texan unloaded on Johnny DeStefano, the head of the presidential personnel office, for torpedoing proposed nominees to senior State Department posts and for questioning his judgment.

Tillerson also complained that the White House was leaking damaging information about him to the news media, according to a person familiar with the meeting. Above all, he made clear that he did not want DeStefano’s office to “have any role in staffing” and “expressed frustration that anybody would know better” than he about who should work in his department – particularly after the president had promised him autonomy to make his own decisions and hires, according to a senior White House aide familiar with the conversation.

The episode stunned other White House officials gathered in chief of staff Reince Priebus’s office, leaving them silent as Tillerson raised his voice. In the room with Tillerson and DeStefano were Priebus, top aide Jared Kushner and Margaret Peterlin, the Secretary of State’s chief of staff.

The encounter, described by four people familiar with what happened, was so explosive that Kushner approached Peterlin afterwards and told that Tillerson’s outburst was completely unprofessional, according to two of the people familiar with the exchange, and told her that they needed to work out a solution.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/28/tillerson-blows-up-at-white-house-aide-240075

Rex should've known what he was getting into.

Damn. I thought it was just an attack by a troll initially since I thought the two pictures looked too different. Apparently, I'm horrible at telling the difference between people with beards and without.

With an accusation that extreme there's nothing inherently wrong with being initially skeptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom