• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Her being in meetings all day does not fill me with confidence. Makes me think things are going to escalate.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Pretty sure she and people in similar positions as her are in meetings all day, every day.

Well, her tweet specifically said she is in all day meetings today due to North Korea, I assume she was not suppose to have any meetings planned for today.

This reddit shit brought on the biggest GAF brigade from r/t_d I've seen in a long time.

Why are you getting angry at people for "just asking questions"...

...that just so happen to be defenses of a racist piece of shit and deliberate distortions of a story to make CNN the villain?

Your attempts to limit freeze peach sicken me.

I'm amused that after 8 years of paranoia that Obama would create some sort of master federal database of every detail of every person possible that it's a Republican administration that's now attempting to do it.

Why are you getting angry at people for "just asking questions"...

...that just so happen to be defenses of a racist piece of shit and deliberate distortions of a story to make CNN the villain?

Your attempts to limit freeze peach sicken me.

image.php

I'm concerned, but only moderately!

I'm amused that after 8 years of paranoia that Obama would create some sort of master federal database of every detail of every person possible that it's a Republican administration that's now attempting to do it.

I'd be amused if it wasn't so fucking rote at this point. Literally everything Republicans accuse anyone of ever is something they desperately want. Sharia law, biblical law. Gun registry, voter registry. And so on, and so on.

It's so fucking cliché. And terrifying considering what they accused Obama of being up to.

The right to ❄️��shall not be abridged.

To chillass what, scola?

CHILLASS WHAT!

You kids and your 90's retro slang smh

Not sure where else to post this, so forgive me if this is the wrong thread, but there was a funny moment at a 4th of July cookout I'd like to share.

Some of the kids, ages about 9-12 were playing a rhyming card game called Hink Pink. You read the clue out loud, and then the other players try to guess the rhyme on the bottom of the card.

For example:

Later in the day, I sat down at the table they had been playing at, and the cards were still out on the table.

One of the cards had the clue "an annoying or repulsive person's jump through the air", and the correct answer was supposed to be 'creep leap'. The kids came up with a better answer and decided to make it permanent:

chadskin

But even his top aides do not know precisely what Mr. Trump will decide to say or do when he meets President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia face-to-face this week on the sidelines of the Group of 20 economic summit gathering in Hamburg, Germany. And that is what most worries his advisers and officials across his administration as he embarks Wednesday on his second foreign trip, first to Warsaw and then to Hamburg.
Mr. Trump himself is not troubled by the meeting. He has told aides he is more annoyed by the prospect of being scolded by the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, and other leaders for pulling out of the Paris climate accords and for his hard line on immigration.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/05/us/politics/trump-poland-germany-g20-putin.html

lmao

I used to be a bleeding heart commie liberal, but a news station reporting news is making me become a racist bigot and now I have to vote Republican.

This reddit shit brought on the biggest GAF brigade from r/t_d I've seen in a long time.

It's always the same posts.

"I used to be a liberal, but this stuff is making me regret my vote for Clinton"
"I heard something was true (that obviously isn't), has anyone discussed this yet?"
"I'm just asking questions"
"I'm not a Trump voter, but..."
"Why aren't we talking about how the victim did this and that?"

Same song and dance every time

jmdajr

Every morning I would listen to NPR on the way to work. They other day I just decided to go back to listening to music. It had been forever.

News is just pounding me into submission. It's depressing.

Every morning I would listen to NPR on the way to work. They other day I just decided to go back to listening to music. It had been forever.

I think it's been a pretty quiet week since healthcare died down. I guess the NK stuff is concerning, but I usually only pay attention to domestic events.

I get so many surveys from all the causes and groups I donate to. I get like five a day. I have a question: do these surveys actually supply meaningful data to the group in question or are they just a manipulative trick to get me to donate again?

Because I keep doing them because I don't want to deny them possible information that could be helpful. But the questions are a joke. They're basically all something like:

1. Do you think Donald Trump represents most American values?
A) No! Donald Trump is unamerican and a threat to us all!
B) Yes, I love evil fascists.
C) Unsure.

Then the survey ends with:

10. Will you donate to support us defeat Donald Trump?
A) Yes! Here is $3!
B) Yes! Here is more than $3! (Highly recommended)

I've found you can skip the donation question and still submit the survey, but it is pointless to even take them? There's no way they're getting helpful feedback with leading questions like the ones they choose. Is that all these are? Just donation requests with a preshow to get you motivated?

I switched to podcasts. NPR offers no catharsis. Utterly toothless both sides-ing.

I get so many surveys from all the causes and groups I donate to. I get like five a day. I have a question: do these surveys actually supply meaningful data to the group in question or are they just a manipulative trick to get me to donate again?

Because I keep doing them because I don't want to deny them possible information that could be helpful. But the questions are a joke. They're basically all something like:

1. Do you think Donald Trump represents most American values?
A) No! Donald Trump is unamerican and a threat to us all!
B) Yes, I love evil fascists.
C) Unsure.

Then the survey ends with:

10. Will you donate to support us defeat Donald Trump?
A) Yes! Here is $3!
B) Yes! Here is more than $3! (Highly recommended)

I've found you can skip the donation question and still submit the survey, but it is pointless to even take them? There's no way they're getting helpful feedback with leading questions like the ones they choose. Is that all these are? Just donation requests with a preshow to get you motivated?

Not to rudely avoid your question, but is Hair Mouse still active? Should we expect future installments?

Holmes

I like how Susan Collins was all "my constituents were thanking me for standing against the current version of the health care bill!"

Susan, it's not the current version. It's any version.

Not to rudely avoid your question, but is Hair Mouse still active? Should we expect future installments?

You're not the only one to ask. I actually love when people ask. I'm glad people cared about that story because I loved writing it.

I began Hair Mouse during the election because I was extremely afraid of Donald Trump. Whenever I got sick to my stomach about what would happen if he won, I would write little stories where I tried to take the fear away. By making him a marionette to some impossible and unlikely evil, I was able to laugh at him more. This helped me a lot and it's how the story came together. It was my way of taking something scary and making it kind of funny, weird, and interesting.

I had a massive continuation planned for the day after the election. I even posted little parts of it here to build interest and it was well-received. It was going to be my ultimate sigh of relief now that the election was over and the threat was gone. Catharsis through satire.

But then Trump won and suddenly the whole thing seemed inappropriate. The story was meant to make light of something I was afraid of. But now it was real. People were going to suffer. I couldn't make light of that anymore. I got a tag for Hair Mouse that I was so proud of. But I asked to have it tag removed and was politely obliged. I sort of regret that now.

I still have everything I've written. I have the desire to revisit it and give it a conclusion. I've even thought of picking it up and serializing it as a companion to increasingly absurd current events.

But I can't do it while the threat is so real. I can't joke about it or make light of it yet. Sometimes I think I'm missing an opportunity and then more terrible Trump news will drop and I'll be glad I haven't been lampooning headlines.

Hair Mouse will return when it feels "safe" again. Maybe when Dems control the house and it feels like there's some momentum for knocking down Trump's dark tower. Until then, I can't get in the right head space to parody something I am afraid will literally kill me.

But I can't tell you how much it means that people even remember the story and liked it and care about it. I want Hair Mouse back too because I am proud of what I wrote. But the time feels wrong still.

I switched to podcasts. NPR offers no catharsis. Utterly toothless both sides-ing.
Just the other day they were interviewing someone about their book, and they started with "There is so much political partisanship today in America. From the #Resistance movement on the left to..." I didn't even get to the end of the sentence. I switched to some music station after yelling a fuck you.

But I can't tell you how much it means that people even remember the story and liked it and care about it. I want Hair Mouse back too because I am proud of what I wrote. But the time feels wrong still.
Bruv, I'd buy a short novella on Hair Mouse if you print one and put it for sale.

Cant wait for it's return, whenever it may be.

PBY

Banned
That reddit thread is something, but I definitely think CNN handled this in the worst way. Just say they won't publish the dudes name, and done.

That reddit thread is something, but I definitely think CNN handled this in the worst way. Just say they won't publish the dudes name, and done.

No, they could've handled it worse. I think publicly explaining why they made the ethical decision to not publish his name but reserved the right to continue the story if he continued to make himself newsworthy made the most sense. It's not their fault the internet is full of absolute morons.

How is it doxxing if all the info is already publicly available? Thats something I never understood.

It's not really, the doxing part (as commonly used since it's an incredibly loosely defined term) usually involves information that was difficult to obtain or previously private. Publicly available information isn't really doxing, and packaging it all together to get people to go after someone is more targeted harassment than doxing.

I mean it's short-hand/slang for a loosely defined group of concepts.

Ogodei

How is it doxxing if all the info is already publicly available? Thats something I never understood.

That's kind of true for anybody though, isn't it?

Like, the shit Milo pulled at some of his speeches was definitely doxxing even though he probably pulled public record information to get at his stuff. It's not like Watergate or the UK Phone Hacking Scandal where doxxing involves illegal activities designed at leaking private information, it's usually just a bit of internet detective work to pull someone's name and home address from sources that are out there.

So yes, publishing HanAssholeSolo's (bet, among other things, that guy's regretting that username now) name would be like doxxing, the question is if his actions are up to the standard of "public interest."

He seems to (fitting to his screenname) be a world-class asshole, but being part of internet communities where GIFs are made willy-nilly, i'm not entirely sure this GIF (which, frankly, wasn't that inappropriate. Poor-taste, but only because of how stupidly banal it is) rises to the standard of public interest.

Though this incident should be a warning shot for internet assholes everywhere: it's not hard to find you.

I guess this was missed in the hubbub of everything, but Macron apparently made an address to the French Parliament about political reforms.

Might be interesting to see how that pans out.

I think if there's something we have to tackle in order to take on everything else, it's probably political reform.
I thought I read that he wants to implements proportional representation, which is good but kind of surprising, because implementing that would cut his majority from 57% down to a plurality of about 173 seats with 30%. Of course, he doesn't have to deal with elections for another 5 years so maybe he thinks he'll just be overwhelmingly popular by then.

Bruv, I'd buy a short novella on Hair Mouse if you print one and put it for sale.

Cant wait for it's return, whenever it may be.

I also really liked Hair Mouse and would love to see it continued someday!

If you want, you can read the part I wrote that was "fit to publish." It's meant to immediately follow the end of the first story. It's not much but it might reward your curiosity. Remember that Hair Mouse is dead.

Ogodei

I learned from this election that France didn't have proportional representation, which surprised me.

I figure most countries should have it, with the balance having PR but implemented on a regional level (the big federal countries like US, Brazil, India, Canada, Russia).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom