• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone there disputed (or should be disputing) whether or not HanAssholeSolo is or is not a piece of shit. The question was whether the act of posting a gif of Trump bodyslamming CNN is an act worthy of non-consenual doxing (or threats to dox).

There's also the question of optics. CNN supposedly threatening this guy with an information release is an easy "but look at what CNN did/is doing!" talking point.

I switched to podcasts. NPR offers no catharsis. Utterly toothless both sides-ing.
I go out of my way to avoid listening to the Heritage Foundation, The CATO Institute, etc., but that's who NPR turns to for commentary. And it's not really "both sides-ing," because they say, "Here are the facts, for a reaction, let's hear from a right wing think tank"; it just wastes radio air to have a liberal say, "Yes, what you have reported is correct."

Blader

He bragged about being the source of an official presidential statement. That puts him squarely in the public interest.

I don't think anyone there disputed (or should be disputing) whether or not HanAssholeSolo is or is not a piece of shit. The question was whether the act of posting a gif of Trump bodyslamming CNN is an act worthy of non-consenual doxing (or threats to dox).

There's also the question of optics. CNN supposedly threatening this guy with an information release is an easy "but look at what CNN did/is doing!" talking point.

The President of the United States released it through official channels as an official statement of the highest office of our government.

"Where does the President source his propaganda" is literally one of the most newsworthy questions a journalist in 2017 could ask.

GrapeApes

So let's act like the President didn't use this guys material. No one would give a fuck about this hateful asshole if the President didn't insert him to a national story. CNN showed restraint in not posting his info. They took his apology at face value and considered the story over. If the story resumes they are well within their right to put this turd on blast. You now literally have the Presidents son now commenting on it saying the dude was a 15 yr old kid.

daedalius

Every morning I would listen to NPR on the way to work. They other day I just decided to go back to listening to music. It had been forever.

News is just pounding me into submission. It's depressing.

Exactly how I have felt lately listening to it, I told my wife last night I would love to get a, at minimum, competent president and administration back so I wouldn't feel the need to follow everything every day.

I have so many things to do, and I feel like reading political shit sidelines my mental processes quite a bit sometimes.

Not really. Dude was excited that Trump used his gif and the notoriety that entailed, CNN found who he actually is. Guy gives an apology and says he doesn't want to part of the story anyone. CNN says they won't publish his name because he apologized to get away from the story (which I disagree with).

Should he want to reinstate himself back into story theme CNN could publish his name. This isn't blackmail.

The President of the United States released it through official channels as an official statement of the highest office of our government.

"Where does the President source his propaganda" is literally one of the most newsworthy questions a journalist in 2017 could ask.

And I don't disagree with any of that, but being the worthless internet moral arbiter I am, I guess I'd want to look more at the aspect of intent. If CNN holds (and possibly releases) the info with the intent of doing their job, reporting, then releasing the information is essential. But if CNN holds the info with intent to release as some sort of "payback" against the person who made the gif, then I'd argue it becomes more like (definitely NOT exactly like, I would never argue this is 1-to-1) fighting fire with fire. Which is also fine, so long as the consequences of doing so are accepted.

And I don't disagree with any of that, but being the worthless internet moral arbiter I am, I guess I'd want to look more at the aspect of intent. If CNN holds (and possibly releases) the info with the intent of doing their job, reporting, then releasing the information is essential. But if CNN holds the info with intent to release as some sort of "payback" against the person who made the gif, then I'd argue it becomes more like (definitely NOT exactly like, I would never argue this is 1-to-1) fighting fire with fire. Which is also fine, so long as the consequences of doing so are accepted.

It's really easy to just not do that, though. You don't have to do that.

You can't argue intent, sorry.

So let's act like the President didn't use this guys material. No one would give a fuck about this hateful asshole if the President didn't insert him to a national story. CNN showed restraint in not posting his info. They took his apology at face value and considered the story over. If the story resumes they are well within their right to put this turd on blast. You now literally have the Presidents son now commenting on it saying the dude was a 15 yr old kid.

That I did not know about, holy shit!

GrapeApes

That I did not know about, holy shit!
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/882580334470213632
DD-MeoqXoAEOQhh

CNN is willing to let this die. These people are letting this story go on. If these people actually gave a fuck about internet turd, HanAssholeSolo, they would move on as well.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
No words...

Auschwitz Memorial Slams GOP Congressman For Recording Video Inside Gas Chamber
A Republican lawmaker is coming under criticism for recording videos at the Auschwitz concentration camp in Poland, including a segment filmed inside the Nazi gas chambers and crematorium.

“This is why homeland security must be squared away, why our military must be invincible,” Rep. Clay Higgins (R-La.) declared as he stood in front of ovens used to cremate prisoners.

”This is why homeland security must be squared away, why our military must be invincible," Rep. Clay Higgins (R-La.) declared as he stood in front of ovens used to cremate prisoners.

Good job buddy! Not only are you an awful person, the location of your recording, a place where homeland security was believed to be squared away and military was believed to be borderline invincible, undermines your entire point.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

A Republican lawmaker is coming under criticism for recording videos at the Auschwitz concentration camp in Poland, including a segment filmed inside the Nazi gas chambers and crematorium.

“This is why homeland security must be squared away, why our military must be invincible,” Rep. Clay Higgins (R-La.) declared as he stood in front of ovens used to cremate prisoners.

Higgins, a former police officer who now sits on the House Homeland Security Committee, made headlines last month when he wrote on Facebook that “all of Christendom... is at war with Islamic horror” and called for killing any “radicalized Islamic suspect.”

“Every conceivable measure should be engaged to hunt them down,” he wrote. “Hunt them, identify them, and kill them. Kill them all.”

f95d820c-a38c-4087-989a-741345008de1

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I don't know where that 'what makes you question your politics' thread went, but remember this lovely photo intended to show harmony?

I saw it, smiled hard. I love that we live in such a diverse place and if given a chance and a good attitude we can come together to enjoy good things. It's the liberal idea! It's why we fight for equality! It's why we're so mad about rich people dividing us in the name of profits and another trillion dollars in tax cuts! THIS PICTURE is why I believe that humanity wins over evil, why tyranny will fail, why whether this species or the next, we will move past this planet and ...

https://twitter.com/ridak96/status/882291836982882306

Rida Khan
@ridak96

Stop taking unsolicited pictures of brown people being normal people as if that's a surprise in 2017
Rachel MacKnight @rachmacknight
Taken today on the C Train. Thiiiiiis is what makes America great. Happy 4th of July, y'all. ❤️💙
12:35pm · 4 Jul 2017 · Twitter for iPhone

Oh. How white of me to not see this photo for what it is.

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/882580334470213632
DD-MeoqXoAEOQhh

CNN is willing to let this die. These people are letting this story go on. If these people actually gave a fuck about internet turd, HanAssholeSolo, they would move on as well.

HE IS APPARENTLY A MIDDLE AGED MAN.

I HATE THESE PEOPLE THEY ARE SO DUMB.

ALSO STOP DEFENDING SOMEONE WHO LITERALLY JUST SAID TO STOP DEFENDING THE THINGS HE POSTED BECAUSE HE GOT HIGH ON BEING A RACIST TROLL.

Diablos

I don't know where that 'what makes you question your politics' thread went, but remember this lovely photo intended to show harmony?

I saw it, smiled hard. I love that we live in such a diverse place and if given a chance and a good attitude we can come together to enjoy good things. It's the liberal idea! It's why we fight for equality! It's why we're so mad about rich people dividing us in the name of profits and another trillion dollars in tax cuts! THIS PICTURE is why I believe that humanity wins over evil, why tyranny will fail, why whether this species or the next, we will move past this planet and ...

It's a nice photo.

And while it's true that the type of contrast shown in the photo should not even matter in 2017, in light of all the awful rhetoric, fear and division 2016 has spawned, I don't see any problem with a reminder that says yes, humanity is not always doomed.

This is probably correct.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/07/connecticut-tax-inequality-cities/532623/

Despite being the richest state in the country, by per-capita income, Connecticut’s budget is a mess. Its pensions are woefully under-funded. Its deficit is projected to surpass $2 billion, or 12 percent of its total annual tax revenue. Hartford is approaching bankruptcy. Conservatives look at Connecticut and see a liberal dystopia, where high taxes have ruined the economy. Liberals, on the other hand, see a capitalist horror show, where the rich dwell in gilded mansions, ensconced in sylvan culs-de-sac, while nearby towns face rising poverty and bankruptcy. Why is America’s richest state floundering?

The first answer is: Corporations are leaving. Aetna, the insurance giant, is leaving Hartford, where it was founded 150 years ago. In early 2016, General Electric announced that it would move its global headquarters from Fairfield, Connecticut, to Boston. Caterpillar, Motorola, and Kraft Heinz have all moved offices or employees out of the state, as well.

The second answer is: People are leaving. It's rare for any state to actually shrink, but Connecticut's population has been falling for three straight years. Meanwhile, only Michigan, Ohio, and Mississippi had slower job growth than Connecticut did over the last two decades, according to Jed Kolko, the chief economist at Indeed, a job site.

Although Connecticut is one of the most reliably blue states in the country, liberals regard it as a microcosm of the national scourge of inequality. In the five years after the financial crisis, the incomes of the top 1 percent in Connecticut grew 17 percent, while the incomes of everyone else dropped about 2 percent, according to my colleague Alana Semuels. The so-called Gold Coast in southwest Connecticut is one of the richest places in the world. Meanwhile, the poverty rate in Connecticut’s largest city, Bridgeport, is still rising.

For conservatives, the culprit is just as simple: It’s big government run amok. The Wall Street Journal’s editorial board holds up Connecticut as a poster child of the costs of high taxes. “Connecticut’s progressive tax experiment has hit a wall,” they wrote in April. Conservatives argue that Connecticut’s income, property, and sales taxes have reached an altitude that cannot support economic life.

But Connecticut’s budget shortfall isn’t just about tax rates. It’s about who is paying the taxes. The richest 0.02 percent of Connecticut households make more money than the bottom 48 percent, according to state reports. This 0.02 percent clusters along the Gold Coast and tends to work in finance.

In the last decade, Connecticut’s millionaires have accounted for as much as 30 percent of the state’s income-tax revenue. This is a problem, because the investment income of financiers is volatile. When hedge funds’ earnings falter, as they have in the last few years, Connecticut feels the pain. Indeed, the state’s income-tax revenue (the yellow bars in the graph below) tracks capital gains (the red line) so closely that Connecticut’s tax coffers are essentially a barometer of the health of financial markets.

dda0e2ee9.png

There’s no question that Connecticut’s high cost of living might dissuade people from moving there. The typical resident pays both hefty state income taxes (among the 10 highest in the country) and high local property taxes (the third-highest). But two of the most common destinations for people moving out of Connecticut are New York City and Massachusetts—that is, one of the most expensive cities in the world and a state nicknamed “Taxachusetts.” Meanwhile, the companies leaving Connecticut aren’t exactly headed to El Paso. UBS has moved to Manhattan. Caterpillar and Motorola moved to Chicago. GE has moved to Boston. Leaving Connecticut because of the high taxes and relocating to Boston is like leaving Connecticut because of the cold winters and moving to… well, Boston.

So, the complete story isn’t just about the taxes being too high. In fact, Connecticut’s recent rise and fall reflects the history of the entire United States—its industrial changes, the hollowing out of the middle class, and the migration patterns reshuffling the U.S. population.

Connecticut was a manufacturing state, which became a finance hub, which is now bleeding both manufacturing and finance, as bankers have moved to New York or shut down their operations in the wake of the Great Recession. The fastest-growing job opportunities are mostly for low-wage workers in health care, leisure, and retail, whose income and sales taxes cannot fund the state’s expensive promises to teachers and pensioners. Connecticut is losing rich companies (and their tax revenues) while it’s adding low-wage workers, like personal-care aides and retail salespeople. Yet it remains a high-tax state. That’s a recipe for a budget crisis.

The rise and fall of Connecticut fits into the story of American cities. In the 1970s, American metros were suffering a terrible crime wave, and New York was dropping dead. That meant boom times for southwestern Connecticut. Headquarters or major offices from more than a hundred Fortune 500 companies fled NYC for the state’s leafy suburban campuses—including IBM, Xerox, and PepsiCo—according Aaron M. Renn, a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute.

But now many of those companies are moving back, lured by newly lower-crime cities and the hip urban neighborhoods where the most educated young workers increasingly want to live. At the end of the 20th century, New York City’s pain was Connecticut’s gain. Now, New York City’s (and Boston’s) gain is Connecticut’s pain.

Finally, the hottest trend in American migration today is south, west, and cheap—that is, far away from Connecticut, both geographically and economically. Texas is growing rapidly, and seven of the 10 fastest-growing large metropolitan areas in 2016 were in the Carolinas and Florida. Of the 20 fastest-growing metros, none are in the northeast. So, Connecticut’s prime-age population is in decline, as the state loses families to both nearby cold cities and faraway hot suburbs. In the graph below, the green and purple lines show the state’s population change since 1994. The 35-to-44 population has declined by about 20 percent.

High taxes, or even the reputation of high taxes, might be accelerating this population shift. But it’s just one variable among many—including temperature, cost of living, and proximity to cities—that’s pushing the entire U.S. population away from the sort of suburbs that define Connecticut. As Henry Grabar writes in Slate, there are states without major cities that have added jobs recently. But Connecticut has neither “the sunny days of Arizona [nor] the regulatory nonchalance of Alabama.”

In the biggest picture, Connecticut is a victim of two huge trends—first, the revitalization of America’s great rich cities and second, the long-term rise of hot, cheap suburbs. But Connecticut’s cities are not rich or great; its weather is not hot year-round; and its cost-of-living is not low. The state once benefited from the migration of corporations and their employees from grim and dangerous nearby metros, but now that wave is receding. To get rich, Connecticut offered a leafy haven where America’s titans of finance could move. To stay rich, it will have to build cities where middle-class Americans actually want to stay.

If you want, you can read the part I wrote that was "fit to publish." It's meant to immediately follow the end of the first story. It's not much but it might reward your curiosity. Remember that Hair Mouse is dead.
Finale, far be it from me to tell you what to do or what the meaning of your work is. All I can say is that Hair Mouse is one of my favorite pieces of Trump satire not only because it’s funny and chilling and well written, but because it hit really hard on the theme of Trump’s insecurity and self-loathing, which is for me his most defining and dangerous characteristic. Most Trump satirists make fun of him for his terrible policies, his stupidity or his general blustery ridiculousness; so by depicting the internal vortex of howling, barely controlled fear, I felt you got closer to the real Trump, despite the fact that you were displacing all that into an imaginary demon creature. Some of Anthony Atamanuik’s stuff has a similar tone at times, like that Shining-inspired video piece he did. But my point is that I never felt like Hair Mouse was excusing Trump or not taking him seriously, because his inner problems are all our biggest real-world problems now. Anyway, we all know that as long as Donald has his luxurious locks, the Hair Mouse can never truly die. Whatever you decide, I thank you for your service.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Some people are overly sensitive.

The fact that dickheads on the right accuse everyone of being oversensitive doesn't change the above fact.

You know you have high taxes when people move from your state to NY to avoid taxes

Uh yes this is a problem. Not sure if I want to know what the long-term implications will be.

Everyone wants to live in NY and Cali!

NY is a gorgeous state that has literally everything anyone could ever want in a state. Want to live in a city? The city too big? Well we have 3-4 others that are smaller you can enjoy and still live in a city. Want to be a mountain man? Okay, you can live here too, have a giant area of nothing but forest and mountains. How about a farmer? Lots of farm land, whether you grow corn or own a vineyard. Beach front property? Not just attached to the ocean, but also attached to a giant lake with hundreds of other large lakes to live next to. Like nature? National and State parks within an hour drive from nearly every area of the state. Small towns? We have lots of those. Big towns? We have lots of those. Sprawling suburbs? If you want that authentic Texas-Suburb-HS Football experience that exists as well.

Just ignore the taxes and the winter and it's perfect

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

There are so many states I'd love to live in but as a high school teacher I just can't afford. I've been informed to pretty much forget about living in New England, California, and New York. I choose to never live in the south but I feel stuck in the Midwest. I feel like so much of our country is set up as just unliveable for a huge portion of the population.

Electorally, non-MA New England provided a solid 22 electoral votes to Obama (and 21 to Hillary). If the entire region is gutted from a brain drain and the population left is older, whiter, and more conservative, that's not just bad for the region, that's also bad for Democrats.

There are so many states I'd love to live in but as a high school teacher I just can't afford. I've been informed to pretty much forget about living in New England, California, and New York. I choose to never live in the south but I feel stuck in the Midwest.

There are places to live in NY that aren't expensive. Western and Central NY are fine places to live and aren't expensive. Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Watertown, Utica

There are so many states I'd love to live in but as a high school teacher I just can't afford. I've been informed to pretty much forget about living in New England, California, and New York. I choose to never live in the south but I feel stuck in the Midwest. I feel like so much of our country is set up as just unliveable for a huge portion of the population.

How about Nevada, Colorado, Arizona, or New Mexico?

I've decided that I will not enter the Bernie Sanders thread or revisit the CNN/Reddit thread after seeing people deliberately twist the story. My beautiful, moderate mind can't handle the mess.

dramatis

I think with climate change, the northern (not just NE and NW) states might be worth corporations looking into investing or setting up shop in. The temperatures in the south and the sea levels on the coasts are probably going to be billions in costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom