• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizerman

I read the first paragraph thinking "Why would you get Cruz to do anything?" and the second paragraph answered it. When you think about it Cruz could have a good career as a pro whipping boy

Right? Outside of his crazy religious base, Ted ain't exactly beloved within his own party. He's just a warm body.

This is exactly it. You think Ted Cruz is going to be able to sell anyone on this shit? This guy??

tPOyTmo.gif

2d9.gif

Pfft. Cruz couldn't sell water to a thirsty person suffering from dehydration.

Ogodei

Arguably, the shift was on from the moment Charles Evans Hughes lost the presidency in 1916. The Republican party hasn't had a professorial or broadly progressive candidate on the ballot since except maybe Alf Landon, and he got beat like a gong.

Huh, never knew that about Landon. I know Wendell Willkie was pretty progressive (the election of 1940 was very non-acrimonious until the final months when Willkie started beating the isolationist anti-war drum to try to play up differences between him and FDR), and Willkie had actually been in talks with FDR to form a new progressive political party before the latter's death in 1945.

But intellectual-ish people persisted in the party like Nixon or the first Bush, and their favor in C-suite America and with sharp-but-misguided freshwater economists. The media certainly kept up the idea that the GOP was the smart party as recently as 5 years ago, when we still took it for granted that entitlement cuts were needed because that's what the smart people said.

It's only really in the last five years that they dropped the pretense for the most part.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
So if it's dead, do people go back to talking about Trump as a lame duck, or do they just tweak it and pass it a week later? I need to know how prepared for disillusionment I should be.

And they kinda really needed healthcare to pass to make their tax plans work.

It's why they forced the second house bill down the moderate House Republicans throats.

Ogodei

Near impossible without the money saved from gutting Medicaid

Their entire 2 year plan is basically ruined because of this.

Hence why the House ultimately crapped something out and why there was that mysterious meeting where the Senate R caucus was shown a powerpoint presentation that convinced them to swallow their doubts and go for it. Now an R/R/R government will be lame-ducked six months in.

Of course, knock on wood and all that. This is far from over.

It's sort of hard to imagine them taking any hard votes next year leading up to the midterms/primaries, but who knows.

What other big legislative priorities were there besides tax reform and the ACA repeal?

Crocodile

It's sort of hard to imagine them taking any hard votes next year leading up to the midterms/primaries, but who knows.

What other big legislative priorities were there besides tax reform and the ACA repeal?

Infrastructure
LMAO as if
and.......um........Immigration? I'm kind of drawing a blank.

Ogodei

Crocodile's right, infrastructure and The Wall.

Trade Wars i guess, but the latter three of those aren't Ryan's priority and even the first one he wouldn't want to stomach without getting tax/entitlement cuts done first.

Kusagari

This is what happens when your president has no idea what the hell he's doing in any aspect.

Without the president being a figure of any confidence in negotiations even a one-party dominant government can't accomplish anything major.

Crocodile's right, infrastructure and The Wall.

Trade Wars i guess, but the latter three of those aren't Ryan's priority and even the first one he wouldn't want to stomach without getting tax/entitlement cuts done first.

The eGOP isn't interested in infrastructure, the wall or trade wars.

This is what happens when your president has no idea what the hell he's doing in any aspect.

Without the president being a figure of any confidence in negotiations even a one-party dominant government can't accomplish anything major.

This can't be stated enough. Trump changes his mind at the drop of a hat on absolutely everything, all he wants is a "win".

PBY

Banned
Putin has murdered way more politically damaging opponents than hookers. There's being grounded and then there's being PBY.

I feel like can't even have a fair discussion here without my positions being misrepresented - no shit, Putin is violent autocrat. My point is - we don't even know if there are hookers, let a lone a murder cover-up. Any good conspiracy theory will sound plausible.

Anyways, carry on. Just felt that I needed that out there. I'm as anti-Putin as all of you here.

kirblar

I feel like can't even have a fair discussion here without my positions being misrepresented - no shit, Putin is violent autocrat. My point is - we don't even know if there are hookers, let a lone a murder cover-up.

Anyways, carry on. Just felt that I needed that out there. I'm as anti-Putin as all of you here.
No you're not.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sam Levine‏Verified account @srl

Trump election investigation has sent a letter to Secretaries of State asking them to hold off on submitting voter data, citing EPIC suit
*Price is Right horn*

lmao

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/111th_United_States_Congress

Major legislation

Enacted

January 29, 2009: Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009, Pub.L. 111–2
February 4, 2009: Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act (SCHIP), Pub.L. 111–3
February 17, 2009: American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA), Pub.L. 111–5
March 11, 2009: Omnibus Appropriations Act, 2009, Pub.L. 111–8
March 30, 2009: Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009, Pub.L. 111–11
April 21, 2009: Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act, Pub.L. 111–13
May 20, 2009: Fraud Enforcement and Recovery Act of 2009, Pub.L. 111–21
May 20, 2009: Helping Families Save Their Homes Act of 2009, Pub.L. 111–22
May 22, 2009: Weapon Systems Acquisition Reform Act of 2009, Pub.L. 111–23
May 22, 2009: Credit CARD Act of 2009, Pub.L. 111–24
June 22, 2009: Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, as Division A of Pub.L. 111–31
June 24, 2009: Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2009 including the Car Allowance Rebate System (Cash for Clunkers), Pub.L. 111–32
October 28, 2009: National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010, including the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act, Pub.L. 111–84
November 6, 2009: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009, Pub.L. 111–92
December 16, 2009: Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2010, Pub.L. 111–117
February 12, 2010: Statutory Pay-As-You-Go Act, as Title I of Pub.L. 111–139
March 4, 2010: Travel Promotion Act of 2009, as Section 9 of Pub.L. 111–145
March 18, 2010: Hiring Incentives to Restore Employment Act, Pub.L. 111–147
March 23, 2010: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Pub.L. 111–148
March 30, 2010: Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010, including the Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act, Pub.L. 111–152
May 5, 2010: Caregivers and Veterans Omnibus Health Services Act of 2010, Pub.L. 111–163
July 1, 2010: Comprehensive Iran Sanctions, Accountability, and Divestment Act of 2010, Pub.L. 111–195
July 21, 2010: Dodd–Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, Pub.L. 111–203
July 29, 2010: Tribal Law and Order Act of 2010
August 3, 2010: Fair Sentencing Act of 2010, Pub.L. 111–220
August 10, 2010: Securing the Preservation of Our Enduring and Established Constitutional Heritage Act, Pub.L. 111–223
September 27, 2010: Small Business Jobs and Credit Act of 2010, Pub.L. 111–240
December 8, 2010: Claims Resolution Act of 2010, Pub.L. 111–291
December 13, 2010: Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, Pub.L. 111–296
December 17, 2010: Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010, Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853
December 22, 2010: Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Act of 2010, Pub.L. 111–321, H.R. 2965
January 2, 2011: James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010, Pub.L. 111–347, H.R. 847
January 4, 2011: Shark Conservation Act, Pub.L. 111–348, H.R. 81
January 4, 2011: Food Safety and Modernization Act, Pub.L. 111–353, H.R. 2751

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/115th_United_States_Congress

Major legislation

Enacted

May 5, 2017: Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2017, Pub.L. 115–31

That Consolidated Appropriations Act, FYI, is entirely about fucking over Russia.

The Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2017 authorized $100 million dollars for the "Countering Russian Influence Fund", to counter "Russian influence and aggression" and to "support civil society organizations in Europe and Eurasia." It also included a measure imposing new restrictions and oversight on Russian diplomats in the United State.[2]

The Act also includes provisions that no appropriated funds may be used to support the Russian annexation of Crimea and assist Crimea, if such assistance includes the participation of Russian Government officials, or other Russian owned or controlled financial entities. It also states that no funds may be used to support "the Russian occupation of the Georgian territories of Abkhazia and Tskhinvali Region/South Ossetia" or to assist the central governments of other countries that have recognized the two territories' independence.[3]

This is a sort of neat, if ultimately useless, graph I just found on Wikipedia while looking at how lame this Congress has been. It's the House broken down by ideology.

United_States_House_of_Representatives%2C_2017.svg

PBY

Banned
"I don't like Putin, but I really don't want him gone either"

Fundamentally do not understand this. What, in the grand history of the US, can you point to as a successful example of foreign intervention leading to regime change that has worked out well for us?

Do you want to remove Kim Jong-un, Assad and Mugabe too? Maduro? Duterte?

Come on.

Crocodile

A) What is the criteria for defining "Major Legislation"?

B) Holy shit this Congress is useless. Let's hope its stays that way!

C) Let's hope Trump continues on his path of being a dumber, more racist/sexist Jimmy Carter *crosses fingers*

Fundamentally do not understand this. What, in the grand history of the US, can you point to as a successful example of foreign intervention leading to regime change that has worked out well for us?

Do you want to remove Kim Jong-un, Assad and Mugabe too? Maduro? Duterte?

Come on.

I think outing the Chancellor of Germany back in the 40s worked out okay

Ernest

Banned
I'm hearing way too many "nothing's gonna ever happen" with regards to Trump's collusion, etc, mostly because the GOP and the money-men (Koch bros, etc) have a stake in nothing happening to him. Can someone set my mind at ease and assure me that something will happen to Trump before his term is up?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
One of those things you can't say out loud but is clearly happening

Conservative politicians having a selfish, short-sighted interest in keeping people stupid assholes because stupid assholes reliably vote conservative is totally something that people should be saying out loud.

I'm hearing way too many "nothing's gonna ever happen" with regards to Trump's collusion, etc, mostly because the GOP and the money-men (Koch bros, etc) have a stake in nothing happening to him. Can someone set my mind at ease and assure me that something will happen to Trump before his term is up?

Here's my thinking, it is entirely possible that Trump himself may be able to narrowly dodge all this shit, unfortunately for him, his friends, his family, and his business will get torn apart. If nothing else, Trump cares more about his business than the country. I think he'd resign if Pence/Ryan/McConnell said "listen, we'll give you a pardon but you have to go." essentially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom