• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So - in the short term - nothing's gonna happen huh?

Not sure what I was expecting tbh, but I assumed more would happen.

I presume the investigation is taking a long time because there are a ton of rocks to turn over. Do keep in mind that when Trump goes down, Pence takes over.

Siegcram

I have to be honest: This whole Trump Jr. thing stinks like a story leaked to then be discredited and make the media look bad later on. The lawyer's story isn't meshing up with Goldstone's, Trump Jr. seems like he's off the rails, etc.
This ain't CNN.

PBY

Banned
I presume the investigation is taking a long time because there are a ton of rocks to turn over. Do keep in mind that when Trump goes down, Pence takes over.
Is rather have Trump than Pence, so I'm not in any rush - I just assumed we'd hear from more public officials by now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Is rather have Trump than Pence, so I'm not in any rush - I just assumed we'd hear from more public officials by now.

196157.gif

You think NYTs wouldn't make sure this was a rock solid story before pushing it?

Jr seems like he's off the rails... because he's off the rails. He was insane before this went down.

I do think they would make sure it was solid, but something about the whole thing seems...off. I can't really explain why. Maybe the whole thing is just so absurd that I can't believe they did it.

Pence and Trump are more or less identical policy wise, but Pence doesn't come with a fan club that could conceivably give him a second term.

I don't think Pence could pass the AHCA through the Senate, for example, even if he's more competent than Trump. Late 2019/early 2020 Trump resignation would be something to see. Pence with no real policy at all or accomplishments running into 2020 on the back of a Trump scandal. And that's assuming Pence is clean in this, which he might not be.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Oh I know. But have we even heard from many Dems?

My understanding is that Schiff was on Maddow last night discussing it.

Pence and Trump are more or less identical policy wise, but Pence doesn't come with a fan club that could conceivably give him a second term.

I don't think Pence could pass the AHCA through the Senate, for example, even if he's more competent than Trump.

I think Pence would be far more effective in pushing legislation through, BRCA aside.

Rick Wilson thinks Jared is behind this.
Like Father, Like Son since his dad sold out his brother in law before Christie threw his Dad in prison.

Although I doubt it because there is too close to blowback for him if he uses Jr as the scapegoat. I think it's possibly Pence/Priebus if we are speculating whose leaking in the White House

Was it? He kept promising something would come out the next week, and the next and it never did. And then he didn't tease the release of the actual dossier IIRC.
I believe it was the Dossier he teased and he had a Twitter explanation saying it involved prostitues and the like (not in exact detail because I thought most people didn't have the dossier and couldn't authenticate it which is why it didn't come out before November)

Ernest

Banned

I don't think Pence could pass the AHCA through the Senate, for example, even if he's more competent than Trump. Late 2019/early 2020 Trump resignation would be something to see. Pence with no real policy at all or accomplishments running into 2020 on the back of a Trump scandal. And that's assuming Pence is clean in this, which he might not be.
And if we get Pence after a Trump impeachment/resignation, Pence will have far less power than an elected president and be an ineffectual lame duck if there ever was one.

I think Pence would be far more effective in pushing legislation through, BRCA aside.

After Trump resigns due to conspiracy with a foreign government? Pence would be a lame duck president right out of the gate.

The only way Pence gets to actually be president and accomplish stuff is if Trump dies. Any other way and Pence's entire career is embarrassed by being attached to Trump.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Hopeful for another NYT story today.

After Trump resigns due to conspiracy with a foreign government? Pence would be a lame duck president right out of the gate.

Especially since Pence had to have known about some of this stuff. He already got some Flynn dirt on him, more will surely follow.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

The only way Pence gets to actually be president and accomplish stuff is if Trump dies. Any other way and Pence's entire career is embarrassed by being attached to Trump.

Republicans still have control of the House & Senate. They would lose 2018 & 2020, might as well push through what they can before the impending shitstorm.

Loxley

Pence would certainly stop embarrassing this country every five goddamn seconds and would actually behave like an adult.

I mean, I still despise the man for his backwards 19th century views, but I'll happily take a president who can coherently form a sentence over Donald Trump.

PBY

Banned
Pence would certainly stop embarrassing this country every five goddamn seconds and would actually behave like an adult.

I mean, I still despise the man for his backwards 19th century views, but I'll happily take a president who can coherently form a sentence over Donald Trump.
Behaving like an adult doesn't matter tho? Who cares if you behave like an adult but fuck over much more people? Anyways we're getting ahead of ourselves.

GrapeApes

Cali folks, who's going to be your next governor? Was listening to Villaraigosa on Lovett or Leave It and dude gave the cringiest defense of working for Herbalife after getting out of office. Not a Cali resident but would be hard pressed to support someone after defending MLMs

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
1. Trump isn't resigning. The guy has way, way too much pride.

2. Don't assume that if Trump left that Pence wouldn't have power. Republicans would most likely feel invigorated and unite behind him, and that alone would allow them to do more. You honestly think republicans would say, "Well, Trump was corrupt, therefore Pence shouldn't be able to do anything?" Please.

Behaving like an adult doesn't matter tho? Who cares if you behave like an adult but fuck over much more people? Anyways we're getting ahead of ourselves.
Fundamental disagreement over the importance of the president's role as a chief diplomat and globally stabilizing presence I guess.

JWiLL

Banned
This whole Russian lawyer story seems off.

It seems like maybe she got the meeting under a false pretense then pleaded with Don Jr. to "please think of the babies".

After careful consideration if he could hunt the babies or not, Jr. decided to call the meeting. Kushner had left 20 minutes earlier because he's a finely tuned sociopath who could smell her intentions the moment he walked in.

Don Jr. was certainly hoping for damaging info on Clinton...but I don't know if I buy her as actually being a Russian agent. She looks like a soccer mom.

Blader

Any healthcare update? Seems like there was a lot of cold war being poured on the bill's chances yesterday, and more and more Senate Rs seem more open about negotiating an ACA fix with Senate Dems instead.

So - in the short term - nothing's gonna happen huh?

Not sure what I was expecting tbh, but I assumed more would happen.

Presidents and their senior advisers usually don't get taken down for collusion with a foreign power in the short term.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

It seems like maybe she got the meeting under a false pretense then pleaded with Don Jr. to "please think of the babies".

After careful consideration if he could hunt the babies or not, Jr. decided to call the meeting. Kushner had left 20 minutes earlier because he's a finely tuned sociopath who could smell her intentions the moment he walked in.

Don Jr. was certainly hoping for damaging info on Clinton...but I don't know if I buy her as actually being a Russian agent. She looks like a soccer mom.

I also want to point out that Julia Child was a government agent so you really shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. Also, please note that the article title is trash. They point out that she was not a spy at the end of it.

Regardless of whether Trump or Pence is worse it is important that Trump be removed as affirmation that the system can work through and remove bad actors. Hopefully Pence is deemed a bad actor, and Ryan, as well.

PBY

Banned
Presidents and their senior advisers usually don't get taken down for collusion with a foreign power in the short term.
Agree. Was just wondering more along the lines of whether congress persons or other elected officials would speak out, etc.

Why in the world would you take Donald Trump Jr. at his word on this story when he's already had to revise his statements on it over the past few days? Right now we have absolutely zero idea what actually went down at that meeting and you'd have to be a fool to trust what Trump people or Russia says happened during it.

Regardless of whether Trump or Pence is worse it is important that Trump be removed as affirmation that the system can work through and remove bad actors. Hopefully Pence is deemed a bad actor, and Ryan, as well.

And then what? You deem everyone that isn't a D a bad actor until you get far enough down the list?

And then what? You deem everyone that isn't a D a bad actor until you get far enough down the list?
No, of course not. But those three have had various degrees of oppo about the situation. Hatch is the first in line that hasn't.

Besides, we need President Hatch to pass an act against striking dockworkers to set us up nicely for 2259. That and San Diego getting nuked.
Babylon 5

No, of course not. But those three have had various degrees of oppo about the situation. Hatch is the first in line that hasn't.

Having 'oppo' isn't enough to justify removing someone from office. The clear standard is a high crime or misdemeanor. Pence hasn't been accused of anything close to that.

...nothing.

They run the risk of being voted out

That's all. There's no other repercussions.

I'm really sick of these shit hot takes. It's just so popular to spout this trash.

The Republicans are not some mildless cult -- they just only give a shit about passing their evil legislation. Once Trump is more a liability than a benefit as the annoying warm body in the WH, they will turn on him.

At the scenario above, the public outcry would likey be enough to get us down the road of them turning and installing President Pence.

I'm really sick of these shit hot takes. It's just so popular to spout this trash.

The Republicans are not some mildless cult -- they just only give a shit about passing their evil legislation. Once Trump is more a liability than a benefit as the annoying warm body in the WH, they will turn on him.

At the scenario above, the public outcry would likey be enough to get us down the road of them turning and installing President Pence.

They were simply asking what happens if the GOP refuses to impeach, it's not a hot take to explain that there really aren't repercussions beyond not being re-elected.

JWiLL

Banned
Why in the world would you take Donald Trump Jr. at his word on this story when he's already had to revise his statements on it over the past few days? Right now we have absolutely zero idea what actually went down at that meeting and you'd have to be a fool to trust what Trump people or Russia says happened during it.

I'm not taking him at his word...only the part about him taking the meeting to get financial dirt on Hillary. That seems bad enough.

I just don't exactly think anything is going to come from this story - though it's nice to think of something getting Don Jr. in to some serious shit. My mental image of the guy is of him holding an elephant's trunk with a smug look on his face. Fuck that guy.

Uh huh

GOP Rep. On Meeting With Russian For Dirt: I ‘Probably’ Would Have Done Same

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ted-yoho-i-would-have-done-the-same-thing

They were simply asking what happens if the GOP refuses to impeach, it's not a hot take to explain that there really aren't repercussions beyond not being re-elected

But there are repercussions. I didn't see the questioner limiting the question to legal/political reprecuasions.

Congressional Republicans cannot even pass their #1 domestic policy item in this environment, and Trump is making it hard for them punt and move on to the tax cuts bill they want. The scenario asked about above would lead to enough media/public outcry and strife that could lead to the Republicans deciding the damage of turning on Trump would be less than the damage of leaving him in place.

And mean damage to their attempts to pass their agenda. Congressional Republicans just want a warm body holding a signing pen. At some point of drama/outrage it makes sense for them to take the hit in dumping Trump for lame duck designated legislation signer Pence.

Blader

You see certain Republicans -- from talking heads like Newt to now, apparently, congressmen -- testing the waters in how far they can get away with a pro-collusion narrative. I don't think this will be a partywide approach, but for an increasing handful of Republicans -- and many Republican voters -- evidence of Russian collusion is not a dealbreaker.

PBY

Banned
But there are repercussions. I didn't see the questioner limiting the question to legal/political reprecuasions.

Congressional Republicans cannot even pass their #1 domestic policy item in this environment, and Trump is making it hard for them punt and move on to the tax cuts bill they want. The scenario asked about above would lead to enough media/public outcry and strife that could lead to the Republicans deciding the damage of turning on Trump would be less than the damage of leaving him in place.

And mean damage to their attempts to pass their agenda. Congressional Republicans just want a warm body holding a signing pen. At some point of drama/outrage it makes sense for them to take the hit in dumping Trump for lame duck designated legislation signer Pence.

That... that wasn't your question though?

That... that wasn't your question though?

I've not asked a question in this thread. I don't know what you mean...

Republicans, as a whole, aren't gonna do shit against Trump. Bank on it!

They won't do shit against Trump unless it benefits them in the short term. I'm not saying that the point where that happens in a quick or easy one to get to, but it's the height of bullshit and absurdity to pretend the Republicans are just idiotic lemming-like cult members that would never turn on Trump.

These people would turn on their mothers if they thought it benefited them in the short term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom