• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are we reliving painful memories when we could be clowning on McConnell some more

He's such sad sack of shit.

EDIT: Lovett's rant about 2016 election night parties on Lovett or Leave it last week stole my soul. Just devastating. I never want to think about 2016 again.
I ordered Chipotle catering for my election night party.

Fuck 2016

Vimes

I ordered Chipotle catering for my election night party.

Fuck 2016

I made my favorite lemongrass pork burgers (along with a shrimp variant for my SO who didn't eat meat, and wound up breaking up with me a few weeks later) and was put off both for months afterward.

fuck 2016

Apharmd

i watched dr strange and then came out of the theater to news networks blasting that trump won

this was the price asked for by the eye of agamotto

DExTVxAXcAAFE8Y.jpg

This is what angers me about 2016.

Really shows how flawed Clinton's strategy was concentrating on character issues of Trump for the most part and ignoring everything else.

JettDash

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DExTVxAXcAAFE8Y.jpg[/IMG

This is what angers me about 2016.

Really shows how flawed Clinton's strategy was concentrating on character issues of Trump for the most part and ignoring everything else.[/QUOTE]

I blame Hillary for Trump (I voted for her).

The only elections she won were given to her.

I don't even understand how straight repeal would even work. It'd throw the entire health care system into utter chaos and tank a huge section of the economy. Like why even bother going through the political theater of pretending you are attempting to do this? So they can drum up an even uglier CBO score for most of your caucus to attach their names to? Everyone wants to get ads about how they voted to strip 30+ million people of their insurance and double everyone's premiums right?

I don't even understand how straight repeal would even work. It'd throw the entire health care system into utter chaos and tank a huge section of the economy. Like why even bother going through the political theater of pretending you are attempting to do this? So they can drum up an even uglier CBO score for most of your caucus to attach their names to? Everyone wants to get ads about how they voted to strip 30+ million people of their insurance and double everyone's premiums right?

So they can tell their core voters that they tried.

Diablos

lol

love you boo
No one knew where this was going to land. I never thought it would end with Mike Lee just tweeting all of the sudden "oh hay me and Moran aren't touching this kthx"

Before last night we wanted to know why Collins and Rand were the only ones still openly talking about not backing the bill.

Frankly, I am still surprised that Heller is being so quiet, especially now. It's safe to come out, bro!

And you're still concerned about full repeal passing, no?

Diablos

Two years of complete uncertainty for one sixth of the economy, what could possibly go wrong? (this is never passing)
They don't deserve all the power, yet they have it. It's so depressing. This party is a fractured mess propped up by gerrymandering, dirty tricks and dare I say treasonous actions as of last year... it's fucking awful. They are literally holding back the future.

Maybe the tide will be so strong that we tie or win back the Senate.

Frankly, 2018 is going to be rare in that it's going to be just as important as 2020.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sure would be odd if straight repeal works.

The one thing that would actually be much worse than the other bills?

That would be an appropriate event to represent GOP control of the government, I think.

Diablos

Sure would be odd if straight repeal works.
Kicking the can down the road might be the only way they can agree on moving on, but the darling moderates and co. surely must realize this would further push the health insurance marketplace into the abyss?

A straight repeal would cause a near instant recession and likely be bogged down in embarrassing legal battles well through midterms. It would also cause way more people to be uninsured than the most recent Senate bill.

If there weren't enough votes for the milder "safer" bill, there won't be for a clean repeal.

Mac_Lane

The tweet storm has begun :

We were let down by all of the Democrats and a few Republicans. Most Republicans were loyal, terrific & worked really hard. We will return!

As I have always said, let ObamaCare fail and then come together and do a great healthcare plan. Stay tuned!

"Let Obamacare fail" = Tom Price was given the green light to sabotage from within. This isn't over.

The GOP doesn't actually want ACA to fail because they will be blamed for it failing. It's why you're starting to see "work with the Democrats" being the new talking point from the senate.

Trump is the only one who didn't get the memo. If healthcare starts failing, it's the GOP's fault in 2018 and nobody else's and they know that.

Diablos

jfc this White House is a mess:
Not in an alternate universe but in the actual United States of America, Barack Obama is apparently still the president—at least that’s what some new American citizens were led to believe when they received welcoming letters that had Obama’s presidential signature on them.

Aisha Sultan, a columnist for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, shared an image on Twitter of the letter her husband, a British native, received Friday, which included the 44th president’s signature instead of one by the current commander in chief, President Donald Trump.
http://www.newsweek.com/barack-obama-us-citizenship-letters-637800

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The idea that democrats will magically come aboard and save republicans from this mess is hilarious.

Blader

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/17/obamacare-senators-turn-on-mcconnell-240646

Johnson was stunned to read in The Washington Post that McConnell was privately arguing that major reforms to Medicaid were so far in the distance that they would never take effect. Johnson said Monday that he'd confirmed through conversations with other senators that McConnell had made the remarks.

”The reported comments from Leader McConnell before last Thursday about ‘don't worry about these Medicaid changes, they won't take effect,' that's troubling to me. I have talked to senators that basically confirmed that. I'll see what Leader McConnell says tomorrow," Johnson said on Monday evening. ”From my standpoint, it's a pretty serious breach of trust, those comments. I'm just troubled by those comments."

Mitch McConnell, master tactician

Trump had also ramped up his outreach to the Hill — hosting a handful of GOP senators at the White House Monday night, including Cornyn, John Thune of South Dakota, Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, Roy Blunt of Missouri, Steve Daines of Montana and James Lankford of Oklahoma, according to Republican aides.

Key swing-votes such as Rob Portman of Ohio, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Capito, Jeff Flake of Arizona, Cory Gardner of Colorado and Johnson were not attending. Neither did Lee nor Moran.

Donald Trump, master dealmaker

Even though this is true, lets not kid ourselves that Obamacare would have survived if say Cortez-Masto lost Nevada. Or if we saw a wave election with Republicans having 55 senators instead of 52. Turtlecare simply died because Senate did not have more R's.
I was thinking this last night. While 2016 obviously was a disaster, making those few gains in the Senate, even if not as much as expected, was critically important.

I was thinking this last night. While 2016 obviously was a disaster, making those few gains in the Senate, even if not as much as expected, was critically important.

Is there any article that examines the nuances of Unemployed Man, Katie Trashginty, and Feingold's losses? Specifically, how did popular former senator Feingold run BEHIND Hillary if the state loved him so much? Who were these Clinton/Toomey voters that accounted for Trashginty's underperforming Hillary? Did Unemployed Man's parlor trick of assembling a rifle on television have any appreciable effect on polls?

We've probably addressed these questions. If so, just ignore me.

I have also rechristened Kelly Ayotte as Kelly Nayotte due to her being denied a second term.

Even though this is true, lets not kid ourselves that Obamacare would have survived if say Cortez-Masto lost Nevada. Or if we saw a wave election with Republicans having 55 senators instead of 52. Turtlecare simply died because Senate did not have more R's.

There's lots of little factors. Imagine if Nevada had a more conservative governor, or Sandoval didn't have such a good relationship with Heller. Or where Rand Paul wasn't the other Senator from Kentucky and it was some random hardliner.

There's also stuff like "what if McConnell had included Collins in early talks"

There's an alternative earth somewhere where the repeal passed with a safe majority.

Nevada wasn't a gain, and I don't think Kirk or Ayotte would have been yays either.

Ayotte has been to the right of Collins and Murkowski, wouldn't run for re-election for six years, and clearly had designs on running for a national GOP spot. She would have done some throat clearing on the process and voted yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom