• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
More likely they move on to tax reform and drop it entirely, or they might actually write something bipartisan to fix the ACA that won't make it through the House.
You only need a fraction of republicans in the house if it's actually bipartisan. But Ryan controls the calendar so it would never even come to a vote.

Edit: Trump needs a W this week. He should fire sessions and or Preibus.

Not much talk about it, but it does deserve a mention.

All of the Dems were in line for this vote, no waffling or questions.

Tester (MT)
Heitkamp (ND)
McCaskill (MO)
Manchin (WV)
Donnelly (IN)

They are all in states that went > 18% towards Trump, and all did the right thing.

People in this thread a few weeks back were saying Manchin would vote for AHCA.

Always have faith in the Manch, baby.

Yep, never in doubt for one moment

Some Bernie Bros still want to primary them.

509 people of NH choosing Hassan over Ayotte made this possible. Let's give them a hand. 1,017 vote difference. Live free or die of no healthcare.

You only need a fraction of republicans in the house if it's actually bipartisan. But Ryan controls the calendar so it would never even come to a vote.
When Boehner was Speaker, a lot of big legislation was passed with Democrats + moderate Rs. Republicans freaking hated it, and it's partially why the Freedom Caucus got much more powerful. Boehner didn't like doing it, but he knew he had to. Now Ryan could well have to do the same thing even to keep basic functions in order, and that's downright shameful to a party who has full control of government. Absolutely nothing that the House passes with only Rs will get 60 votes in the Senate. It's going to be a clusterfuck.
Some Bernie Bros still want to primary them.
Seriously? Sigh.

Slizeezyc

So does this mean they need 60 for healthcare now?

I mean, in theory, no. But the thing is they tried a bunch of different bills tonight, including the original one that passed the House, and they all failed to even get to 50. This was their play, and it was super sketchy and barely legal as is. They could try again, but there's other things they have to do.

Maengun1

Not much talk about it, but it does deserve a mention.

All of the Dems were in line for this vote, no waffling or questions.

Tester (MT)
Heitkamp (ND)
McCaskill (MO)
Manchin (WV)
Donnelly (IN)

They are all in states that went > 18% towards Trump, and all did the right thing.

I'm donating to all of them next year

Zolo

This is pretty funny on the conservative reddit.

TKBtSt0.jpg

Slizeezyc

"Karma will not be nice to him." - Internet goon, about a man who already has brain cancer

To be fair, everyone on both sides of the aisle were saying similar things about him before this vote and then after, just who was saying it changed (at least somewhat. Still many saying he's rather spineless based on his whole overall voting record and everything, which is valid.)

But what about R_Donald!?
A bunch of threats/scoldings/screaming/etc. Also, they still don't know how government works (shocking, I know). A few random selections:

McCain and Murkowski need to be brought up for RECALL ELECTION. Not joking. These assholes think they're untouchable because they're not up for reelection until 2022. RECALL! RECALL! RECALL! tea party part 3, return of the patriots!
Please @realDonaldTrump sign an EO rescinding the Obamacare exemption of Congress immediately. Make them live under the laws they pass.
Trump is right. Democrats have to own Obamacare collapsing, so let it collapse. Guess what happens in 2018 and 2020, when Dems are responsible for a complete healthcare collapse?
When Obamacare implodes the Democrats well be in even worst shape. They dont get it. If they wouldve stepped up and owned that garbage maybe people could acknowledge the spine they think they have. This only hurts them even more.
Mark Dice: John McCain is the poster boy of why we need term limits in Congress.

Sciz

To be fair, everyone on both sides of the aisle were saying similar things about him before this vote and then after, just who was saying it changed (at least somewhat. Still many saying he's rather spineless based on his whole overall voting record and everything, which is valid.)

I mean, yeah, he's not going to be beloved by anyone, but he's also a dead man walking. Wishing bad karma on him is a hilariously toothless way to be snide at this point.

Slizeezyc

A bunch of threats/scoldings/screaming/etc. Also, they still don't know how government works (shocking, I know). A few random selections:

Hey a couple of those kind of sound like us! Only if we were talking about in the negative sense about Republicans instead.

Wonder how their logic would change once those millions lost insurance and premiums still went up.

I mean, fuck. We can never lose sight of the fact that a terrible bill, that nobody was willing to defend on the merits, got 9/10ths of the way to becoming law on the sole premise that someone else would fix it, and it still only lost by a single vote. This was waaaayyyyyy closer than it had any right to be.

Slizeezyc

I mean, fuck. We can never lose sight of the fact that a terrible bill, that nobody was willing to defend on the merits, got 9/10ths of the way to becoming law on the sole premise that someone else would fix it, and it still only lost by a single vote. This was waaaayyyyyy closer than it had any right to be.

For sure. The whole process was peak McConnell fuckery, but this is what he does man.

UberTag

Edit: Trump needs a W this week. He should fire sessions and or Preibus.
It's hard to imagine Trump not making some rash decision tomorrow. This has to have triggered him something fierce.
He won't be so easy to talk down from the ledge.

Zolo

It's hard to imagine Trump not making some rash decision tomorrow. This has to have triggered him something fierce.

Yeah. He was expecting to celebrate a win later today. Now he has a failed vote and the Russia sanction bill to deal with.

Slizeezyc

He won't be so easy to talk down from the ledge.

He might be looking forward to summer vacation though, which could soften the blow a bit.

broz0rs

Tonight's vote reminds me about that miracle Obamacare had surviving the Supreme Court where Chief Justice John Roberts was the deciding vote to validate it as law. Nobody in their right mind expected that one either. As long as Roberts never overturns abortion, he'll always be a hero to me. John McCain did something similar tonight, and I'm glad this will be the lasting impression I have of him.

Vimes

I couldn't bear to look until just half an hour ago and now I'm catching up.

I can't believe this is real. I can't believe I was wrong about Maverick.

I love you all, PoliGAF.

Vimes

Wait, what does this vote have to do with Price? Is it the fake score?

EDIT: It's been an hour and I still can't even right now. This is too much like a bad movie. After all these months, I fully expect to wake up tomorrow and find this thing still on the table.

Pixieking

Banned
Boy the attack ads for 2018 are going to be something else. So many Rs threw away their seats for nothing. Good shit.

The Dems couldn't have planned this any better. Every Representative and Senator voted, and a whole heap of them promoted the various bills. It's almost magical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom