• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we back on the idea that screeching Fake News as catchphrase after he heard the term used against him twice makes him a genius social manipulator. I think that speaks more to the media's willingness to bend over backwards for a party that officially endorses beating them to the ground and running away.

Teggy

Discuss

Chelsea E. Manning
Chelsea E. Manning @xychelsea
all of you 🙄 @JoyAnnReid, @SenKamalaHarris are just more of the same 😩♀️ we need strong, unapologetic unity now 👭👩*🌾👫👭 #WeGotThis 🌈😎

(((Lisa Solod))) @lisasolod
·
Aug 1
Replying to @xychelsea @JoyAnnReid and @SenKamalaHarris
Sorry, Chelsea, Harris is a hero!

Chelsea E. Manning @xychelsea
Replying to @lisasolod @JoyAnnReid and @SenKamalaHarris
a hero in the war against trans people !!? 😩♀️ its just more lip service, we can do better 😎🌈
12:17 AM · Aug 1, 2017

Issue she is referring to:
http://www.washingtonblade.com/2015...o-block-gender-reassignment-for-trans-inmate/

What do you guys think are killing his numbers? My best theory is it's the healthcare debacle and he's getting reamed by supporters pissed it failed and supporters pissed it almost passed.

What do you guys think are killing his numbers? My best theory is it's the healthcare debacle and he's getting reamed by supporters pissed it failed and supporters pissed it almost passed.

The failed healthcare vote probably hurt his numbers with hardcore GOP people and MAGA hat wearers, while not actually doing much of anything is likely eroding his soft GOP support. And Democrats continue to absolutely despise him and everything he looks at.

Ogodei

With new COS and no big bills going now trump won't say anything dumb for a few days and approval will go back up. Nothing matters but the latest news anymore.

I think I'm the new diablos.

I do think we'll see a clawback in August, but that assumes he doesn't do anything pants-on-head for a month, which even with a new Chief of Staff...

studyguy

Not stressing Harris critics atm. If you search her name right now it's literally nothing but right wing sites running with infighting over her on the left as top stories.

Isn't gender reassignment surgery a privilege? Why would the state of California pay for one for someone who's on parole?
Edit: nvm, not on parole. Misread.

kirblar

There have been some bullshit criticisms of Harris recently. This is not one of them. If this were a decade old it'd be one thing, but this was 2015 and she was making this argument. Not cool.
-
Medicare For All isn't the solution to Universal Health Care

Interesting take on the isues w/ transitioning to Universal Healthcare that goes over a few European systems in quite a bit of detail. (France's employer-based model is one I need to look into more since it's one of the only countries with it laid out that way.)

The best thing from the article is this chart, which lays out the Loss Aversion issues in place due to our Employer-Based HC system. People don't want to give up their existing benefits and freak out at the possibility of change.

final_8_30_chart_healthspending-02.jpeg

Thaedolus

Fuck Chelsea Manning. She didn't deserve the brutal treatment she received, but she also caused a fuck ton of damage working with Wikileaks

I do think we'll see a clawback in August, but that assumes he doesn't do anything pants-on-head for a month, which even with a new Chief of Staff...

He'll tick up in August because he'll be on vacation, so he won't be doing anything

Of course it'd be nice if some oppo bombs drop while he's trying to enjoy his hard earned vacation

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The recent Harris stuff seems like right-wing media's attempt to start discrediting her now because they're scared of her the most.

I still don't think democrats should unite behind anyone at this point. Encourage as many as possible to run, let the primary run its course, and then go from there. Let the best candidate emerge, regardless of age, gender, race, etc.

kirblar

Fuck Chelsea Manning. She didn't deserve the brutal treatment she received, but she also caused a fuck ton of damage working with Wikileaks
I mean, I am not a fan either and consider working with Wikileaks colluding with a state enemy, but this is literally the issue that got her released early.

Paches

“There is no evidence that irreversible treatment is immediately necessary before this appeal can be heard and the factual record can be fully developed in a proceeding on remand,” the request states. “On the other hand, the record demonstrates that the Defendants will be irreparably injured if the district court’s order stands and surgery goes forward because the case will effectively become moot, precluding appellate review.”

I would like to know what the case is even about before rendering judgment.

Unemployment is at a low and Trump has a -9 approval rating on the economy, down from a high of +8 in March.

How do you fuck that up.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That story about Tillerson not using the $80 million to counter propaganda is insane.

Natural slide. Also it's much easier asking the opposite question of "what is keeping his numbers as high as they are?" I think Dubya shows that you'll never push someone below 25% (and realistically, that took a lot so I'd say 30% is a soft floor). So Trump is basically just losing support from people who are tapping out as he fails to keep them on board,and he'll keep doing that until he hits the floor.

I wish I could see into the future and find out if there's a point where Trumps approval goes low enough that the GOP actually turns on him. I mean, he's very obviously throwing them under the bus after the healthcare debacle. I just don't get it. Like, look at John McCain - you can be a partisan hack your entire life but if you actually do something good in 2017 you're treated like a hero. If they got rid of Trump people would cut them so much more slack than if they were forced to dump him.

studyguy

It's all moot anyway since anyone running from my state with presidential dreams is automatically a west coast liberal elite latte sipping illuminati vampire lizardman etc etc to the rest of the country.

I still don't think democrats should unite behind anyone at this point. Encourage as many as possible to run, let the primary run its course, and then go from there. Let the best candidate emerge, regardless of age, gender, race, etc.
Basically where I am at

Let's actually have these candidates campaign and try to convince people first as well before we start already crafting narratives of infighting as to why one group of voters will supposedly unjustifiably dislike a candidate that hasn't officially announced or said anything because they are biased and hypocritically support a different unnamed candidate who also hasn't announced or campaign on anything yet.

It's like people WANT shit flinging and are eager to start it and position sides already..

AndyD

aka andydumi
I'm going on vacation for about two weeks starting tomorrow and I'm completely disconnecting from everything political. I fully expect to come back and see the country run by ants or some shit.

I hope you are going a deserted island. We went outside the US on vacation and Trump and US stuff still permeates the news.

kirblar

Basically where I am at

Let's actually have these candidates campaign and try to convince people first as well before we start already crafting narratives of infighting as to why one group of voters will supposedly unjustifiably dislike a candidate that hasn't officially announced or said anything because they are biased and hypocritically support a different unnamed candidate who also hasn't announced or campaign on anything yet.

It's like people WANT shit flinging and are eager to start it and position sides already..
I'm starting to wonder if the subset of Millenial liberals raised on Fox News but who flipped to the left/liberal wing are still maintaining the fundamentally warped perception that it's "how politics should be" even when their policy stances change.

studyguy

I'd like to get 2018 out of the way, maybe bring some attention on the fucking asshole in the district next to mine, Steve Knight, and get him out of office. Katie Hill sounds like she's the top contender to take him on in 2018.
Hope he flops. Town is not 15m out of my way, will be out and about during the campaign leadup.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Let Booker, Harris, Gillibrand, Fraken, etc. all run and the cream rise to the top.

That's not how it works. There's no guarantee that the candidate the internal Democratic selectorate prefers is the same as the candidate the wider electorate would prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom