• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCS

Banned
DGmcxepU0AEY9ac.jpg:large

Just missing the word "globalist" and then they'd have bingo!

JettDash

What if Mueller decides to indict everyone while Trump is on vacation? Wouldn't that be grand?

(I know that it is probably too soon for indictments)

Soros? Hah, pull scary words out of a hat, sure! I don't even care if it's accurate or not, because it's hilarious. They can't even go a few days of relative calm without desperately seeking drama. Let's madlibs this one for "generic smear for person in Trump administration":

[Administration official] [verb] at [location] backed by [scary, preferably Jewish rich person]-funded group that helped [verb] [scary person or country] deal with/for [any name ending in Obama or Clinton].

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The reason it's so high for young people is because the majority of the world's young people are in developing countries, where you have less access to education and more reason to distrust narratives from other ethnic groups. If you tracked the rate of denial amongst purely the Western population but still with respect to ages, I'd be interested to see the results.

Soros? Hah, pull scary words out of a hat, sure! I don't even care if it's accurate or not, because it's hilarious. They can't even go a few days of relative calm without desperately seeking drama. Let's madlibs this one for "generic smear for person in Trump administration":

[Administration official] [verb] at [location] backed by [scary, preferably Jewish rich person]-funded group that helped [verb] [scary person or country] deal with/for [any name ending in Obama or Clinton].
Steve Bannon sucked his own cock at a building whose street address is 666 backed by Kushner-funded group that helped write China deal for George Clinton

CCS

Banned
The reason it's so high for young people is because the majority of the world's young people are in developing countries, where you have less access to education and more reason to distrust narratives from other ethnic groups. If you tracked the rate of denial amongst purely the Western population but still with respect to ages, I'd be interested to see the results.

The ADL doesn't break it down by age for each country, but it does break it down by age for each religion. Using Christianity as a proxy for the West, the full report (hard to link, on my phone) finds that, weirdly:

Young Christians are MORE likely to deny the holocaust, but are LESS likely to be anti-semitic than older Christians.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The ADL doesn't break it down by age for each country, but it does break it down by age for each religion. Using Christianity as a proxy for the West, the full report (hard to link, on my phone) finds that, weirdly:

Young Christians are MORE likely to deny the holocaust, but are LESS likely to be anti-semitic than older Christians.

Awful idea, since the fastest growing Christian area of the world is sub-Saharan Africa. :p

Dat Kelly moderating voice:

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 5m5 minutes ago
Working hard from New Jersey while White House goes through long planned renovation. Going to New York next week for more meetings.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 4m4 minutes ago
Hard to believe that with 24/7 #Fake News on CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, NYTIMES & WAPO, the Trump base is getting stronger!

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 13m13 minutes ago
... Supreme Court pick, economic enthusiasm, deregulation & so much more have driven the Trump base even closer together. Will never change!

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 18m18 minutes ago
...and West Virginia. The fact is the Fake News Russian collusion story, record Stock Market, border security, military strength, jobs.....

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 24m24 minutes ago
The Trump base is far bigger & stronger than ever before (despite some phony Fake News polling). Look at rallies in Penn, Iowa, Ohio.......

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 44m44 minutes ago
The failing @nytimes, which has made every wrong prediction about me including my big election win (apologized), is totally inept!

PresBot missing some tweets, so texts only. Enjoy!!!!

Wilsongt

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
Never in U.S.history has anyone lied or defrauded voters like Senator Richard Blumenthal. He told stories about his Vietnam battles and....
7:52 AM · Aug 7, 2017

Kelly must be taking a shit and not near him.

At least we know what Fox is focusing on this morning

JettDash

Would Trump agree if Kelly demanded Trump's phone? I doubt it.

He was an idiot for taking the job, though he probably had good motivations.

barber

I mean, it is tweets like that what make impossible to control the narrative of the white house. Whenever trump is alone watching tv, that shit happens, and the machine behind him has to readapt to a message that has changed without their knowledge.
Mooch's plan was flawed because of that, everyone that tries to control him will in the end get him angry and get dumped.

Blader

Blumenthal will never not live down acting as if he had actually served in Vietnam -- and probably deservedly so -- but Trump got FIVE DEFERMENTS to avoid enlisting at all!

lush

Is it already time to attack veterans again? Surely this finally opens him up to questioning about his own deferments/lack of participation in Vietnam?

Wilsongt

Never in U.S.history has anyone lied or defrauded voters like Senator Richard Blumenthal. He told stories about his Vietnam battles and....
7:52 AM · Aug 7, 2017

Kelly must be taking a shit and not near him.

At least we know what Fox is focusing on this morning

...conquests, how brave he was, and it was all a lie. He cried like a baby and begged for forgiveness like a child. Now he judges collusion?
8:01 AM · Aug 7, 2017

What an asshole.

On the whole DSA thing: I don't want to start the argument about anti-semitism v anti-Zionism, but I think it is always important to have in mind when discussing Israel the fact that the majority of the population in the surrounding countries would be very happy to see Israel destroyed. It emphatically does not justify the actions of Israel in any way, but it alarms me greatly whenever you see left-wing activists using language like that. I don't belive for a second that all of the DSA want to literally eradicate the state of Israel, but that is the sentiment behind it.

It's not a perfect metric for anti-semitism, but I always find this data to be a very chilling warning.

Not really disputing any of these numbers but any info-graphic that has a word "shocking" in it is a huge suspect. It kind of defeats the purpose of the info-graphic, now instead of processing the data, all I'm thinking is how biased it is (even though I have absolutely no reason to question it's validity besides the language used)...

CCS

Banned
Not really disputing any of these numbers but any info-graphic that has a word "shocking" in it is a huge suspect. It kind of defeats the purpose of the info-graphic, now instead of processing the data, all I'm thinking is how biased it is (even though I have absolutely no reason to question it's validity besides the language used)...

I mean, the ADL exists to monitor anti-semitism/Holocaust denial, so that's probably why they'd describe it as shocking.

Are there any graphs of the various unemployment rate measures?

What happened in 89-90 that saw such dramatic change? Some unusual deregulation? Technology revolution? End of Cold War?

Technology is part of it, but it's mostly about heavy deregulation from the Reagan years finally being realized.

I mean, the ADL exists to monitor anti-semitism/Holocaust denial, so that's probably why they'd describe it as shocking.

Yup and it makes the whole thing questionable. I do agree that forced objectivity is kind of a waste of time (even in news it's kind of impossible). BUT it's hard for me to see what's the purpose of info-graphic that is openly subjective. People who disagree with it will dismiss it right away and people who agree with it will just send it out to other people who agree with it.

barber

Are there any graphs of the various unemployment rate measures?

What happened in 89-90 that saw such dramatic change? Some unusual deregulation? Technology revolution? End of Cold War?

Probably that the end of the pay rises for the common worker in the 80s started to catch up into the CEOs who decided the saved money could be better transfered to their pockets. And yeah, The trickle down economics from 1980-1988 from President Reagan.

jtb

Banned
Yup and it makes the whole thing questionable. I do agree that forced objectivity is kind of a waste of time (even in news it's kind of impossible). BUT it's hard for me to see what's the purpose of info-graphic that is openly subjective. People who disagree with it will dismiss it right away and people who agree with it will just send it out to other people who agree with it.

People want to be told what to think. Those that don't can read the graph. It's irritating but unavoidable.

Ac30

Also did Blumenthal actually lie about battles he fought in, I did a quick google and he seemed to be intentionally vague about going to 'Nam (he doesn't appear to have gone) but was he ever caught bragging?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm on vacation visiting family and my uncle put Fox News on. They're breaking 'scandalous' news about the Clinton/Lynch meeting and lionizing the Google engineer's manifesto. Such an insane bubble these people live in.

Daily Caller's bio of the bot Trump retweeted:

[/IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGlJjSKU0AE8oWU.jpg[/IMG]

[/IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGlLgG9U0AEM3Am.jpg[/IMG]
This is so clearly fanfiction.

kirblar

How on earth does one adjective "make the whole thing questionable"?

There is nothing "subjective" about it, it's based on survey results, which are as objective a way of measuring public opinion as you can get!

People want to be told what to think. Those that don't can read the graph. It's irritating but unavoidable.

How on earth does one adjective "make the whole thing questionable"?

There is nothing "subjective" about it, it's based on survey results, which are as objective a way of measuring public opinion as you can get!

This graph also does nothing to inform anyone who doesn't particularly care about the topic. I mean it's clear that people hold insane beliefs and that is particularly true among Israel's enemies. But how is that different that significant portion of US population believing at some point that Obama was born in Kenya? It's simply a slice of data without much context with a word "shocking" thrown into the mix.

kirblar

This graph also does nothing to inform anyone who doesn't particularly care about the topic. I mean it's clear that people hold insane beliefs and that is particularly true among Israel's enemies. But how is that different that significant portion of US population believing at some point that Obama was born in Kenya? It's simply a slice of data without much context with a word "shocking" thrown into the mix.
Because proportions matter?

A fringe minority is a very different thing than a 63% majority!

It's not clear to many people in the west when people talking about the topic aren't using figurative language re: Israel! This is what makes it complicated!

Because proportions matter?

A fringe minority is a very different thing than a 63% majority!

Not if education is shitty in the specific country. I mean you can easily find large towns in the US where 63% of people believe that Obama was born in Kenya. US is just too mixed to have 63% agree even on truth (which is probably a good thing).

The topic in question being... holocaust denial? It doesn't inform people not interested in holocaust denial?

Just to be clear, I believe it's due to shitty education and government policy rather than anything more shady like this graph is implying (Specifically the word "shocking").

jtb

Banned
Sometimes I wonder if Trump's particular hatred of Blumenthal stems from some kind of name association with Sid Blumenthal

kirblar

Not if education is shitty in the specific country. I mean you can easily find large towns in the US where 63% of people believe that Obama was born in Kenya. US is just too mixed to have 63% agree even on truth (which is probably a good thing).
To paraphrase Shinra: Shitty people are not unique to any country, party, or ideological movement. The problem w/ discussing Israel is that like many other topics, people only look at the one we share a language with.

The central problem in the conflict screwing everything up isn't "lack of education", its that among all sides in the conflict, there's a large group of people who want to wipe the other off the map. Literally. Not Figuratively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom