• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess we can take the Arpaio news as 100% confirmation he WILL try to pardon Flynn when/if that situation arises.
Well I think my theory of "If Trump theroitcally has the power to do something he will try it", has been mostly true so far. Expect far more than pardons just for them.

I'm still betting on he pardons everyone in his WH. Every person. And then Mike Pence. Then Pence will pardon Trump on his way out.

See no reason why that won't happen at some point. There's nothing stopping him.

sphagnum

Banned
IL Senate passes resolution declaring Neo-Nazi groups to be terrorist organizations. (edit: to be clear, it's a resolution urging law enforcement to consider them terrorists)

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...alls-for-neo-nazis-to-be-classified-as-terror

The Illinois Senate on Sunday approved a resolution calling for police to categorize neo-Nazi groups as terrorist organizations, according to the Chicago Tribune.

The measure came as a response to Saturday's violence at a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Va., during which one person died and scores more were injured.

“It is vital that we stand in total opposition to the hatred, bigotry and violence displayed by the white nationalist and neo-Nazi groups in Charlottesville this past weekend,” said state Sen. Don Harmon (D), who sponsored the measure.

“They are the heirs to the Ku Klux Klan and the Nazis. We fought two bloody wars in opposition to their ideologies. We must continue to fight those same twisted ideologies today,” he added.

Heather Heyer, 32, was killed when a man with reported ties to the white supremacist movement drove his car into a crowd of counterprotesters in Charlottesville. The alleged driver, James Alex Fields Jr., 20, has been charged with second-degree murder in the crash.

Gotta get this on a national level.

Teggy

Yaaaaas

Steve Kopack
Steve Kopack @SteveKopack
NEW, via @sallyshin: Google says it is "cancelling Daily Stormer’s registration with Google Domains for violating our terms of service.”
2:11 PM · Aug 14, 2017

Teggy

Well I think my theory of "If Trump theroitcally has the power to do something he will try it", has been mostly true so far. Expect far more than pardons just for them.

I'm still betting on he pardons everyone in his WH. Every person. And then Mike Pence. Then Pence will pardon Trump on his way out.

See no reason why that won't happen at some point. There's nothing stopping him.

Don't they have to be convicted before they can be pardoned?

Don't they have to be convicted before they can be pardoned?
Nope.

Obama didn't pardon anyone who had not been tried. Which is why Snowden wasn't going to happen but Chelsea Manning did. But that was a self implemented moral ground rather than anything legal; which obviously Trump doesn't give a shit about

His base will never abandon him, Pelosi is unpopular, Democrats don't vote in midterms or presidential elections, everyone gets their news from Fox, Trump outperforming his polling average by 1-2 points proves his voters don't respond to polls and totallynotafakepollster.blogspot.com has him at 99% approval.

FUCK

fuck.

Where the hell do they keep finding these black Trump apologists? I thought Paris was the only one.

Because $$$.

I knew a girl for a few months who is now a big time anchor of Fox News. She has been confronted by a number of people, myself included, how horrible what she's doing is. She just says it's part of a character and she's in it for the career. People will sell their souls for so fucking little.

kirblar

Because $$$.

I knew a girl for a few months who is now a big time anchor of Fox News. She has been confronted by a number of people, myself included, how horrible what she's doing is. She just says it's part of a character and she's in it for the career. People will sell their souls for so fucking little.
Yup. It's a proven moneymaker.

Teggy

Nope.

Obama didn't pardon anyone who had not been tried. Which is why Snowden wasn't going to happen but Chelsea Manning did. But that was a self implemented moral ground rather than anything legal; which obviously Trump doesn't give a shit about

Does the pardon have to be specific? Or can he just say "I hereby pardon Ivanka for all crimes she may or may not have committed."

jmdajr

Because $$$.

I don't know who on AM radio actually believes 100% of what they even say.

Still, it's Immoral way to make a living by hurting society for monetary gain.

But hey, what's new?

Does the pardon have to be specific? Or can he just say "I hereby pardon Ivanka for all crimes she may or may not have committed."
that's basically exactly what Ford did:

Now, Therefore, I, Gerald R. Ford, President of the United States, pursuant to the pardon power conferred upon me by Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, have granted and by these presents do grant a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from January 20, 1969 through August 9, 1974.

Blader

It boggles the mind that anyone gives Ford credit for healing the country by pardoning Nixon. There is nothing healing about letting a president abuse the powers of his office to break the law.

He set a timeline though. So it wasn't some blanket lifetime get out of jail free card. Curious if that can be extended into basically a lifetime get out of jail free card though
Does anyone know if he can't give out a get out of jail free card? Think he will try and do it regardless even if there is some implication he can't

Hot take: Democrats should go all-in on Doug Jones (Dem candidate for the Alabama Senate special election).

When the president's approval is creeping on 30 you can probably compete just about anywhere. And it's not like the DSCC will be doing much else this November.

Hot take: Democrats should go all-in on Doug Jones (Dem candidate for the Alabama Senate special election).

When the president's approval is creeping on 30 you can probably compete just about anywhere. And it's not like the DSCC will be doing much else this November.

THIS

ESPECIALLY if Roy Moore is the nominee, which looks more likely.

THIS

ESPECIALLY if Roy Moore is the nominee, which looks more likely.
Dougie's going to have to win his own primary first though - he has the misfortune of going up against someone named Robert Kennedy Jr.

Should he prevail though, he could very well be (read: this has maybe a 5% chance of happening) the Democrats' Scott Brown. Consider that Obama won Massachusetts 62-36, not much different than Trump winning Alabama 64-35. What does an odd-year special election look like where the base is mellow on the president and the opposition is fucking pissed, while the incumbent party candidate is a hot mess and the challenging party candidate is a surprisingly good recruit in hostile territory?

Of course, Obama wasn't even all that unpopular in January 2010, and Alabama has a higher floor for the Democrats than Massachusetts does for the Republicans.

AndyD

aka andydumi
He set a timeline though. So it wasn't some blanket lifetime get out of jail free card. Curious if that can be extended into basically a lifetime get out of jail free card though

I don't think you can set out a post-pardon timeline. As in "past and future crimes".

That said, it's federal only, and we know that a lot of the players this time around are also looking at state financial crimes so even if some grand blanket pardon is given there could still be state prosecutions for ages. I just don't think there'd be appetite for "moving on" from this situation like I read there was for Nixon.

chadskin

Nancy Pelosi just saved Bannon's job.

DHNkGz7XoAA0sgq.jpg

Dougie's going to have to win his own primary first though - he has the misfortune of going up against someone named Robert Kennedy Jr.

Should he prevail though, he could very well be (read: this has maybe a 5% chance of happening) the Democrats' Scott Brown. Consider that Obama won Massachusetts 62-36, not much different than Trump winning Alabama 64-35. What does an odd-year special election look like where the base is mellow on the president and the opposition is fucking pissed, while the incumbent party candidate is a hot mess and the challenging party candidate is a surprisingly good recruit in hostile territory?

Of course, Obama wasn't even all that unpopular in January 2010, and Alabama has a higher floor for the Democrats than Massachusetts does for the Republicans.

I totally expect some Scott Brown wacky shenanigans in 2018, which is why I'm not really going to completely stop thinking we'll win the Senate.

This morning at a senior center event Bernie said we should make "Medicare available to all."

This is probably a subtle shift from Bernie and reflects the discussions we've had about how "Medicare for all" is a very general policy. "Available" is a coded word that suggests something that looks more like an Obamacare public option.

This seems fine to me, and it's quite notable that as Democratic political support is gathering Bernie's moving towards a policy that has higher odds of getting the votes to be implemented. Good on him. Hopefully this means good things for the bill when it gets introduced.
This is disappointing, Bernie's whole job is to expand what's possible, falling back to compromise positions like the public option is ceding unnecessary ground when he should be working to build more electoral support for single payer.

Because $$$.

That's so damn wack and depressing. Gaddamn.

This is disappointing, Bernie's whole job is to expand what's possible, falling back to compromise positions like the public option is ceding unnecessary ground when he should be working to build more electoral support for single payer.

Bernie doesn't have time left in his career to do that. If he wants to see some kind of results in his life time, he needs to shift focus to stuff that will actually get done within the next 10-15 years or so, and not what could take an entire generation to shift opinion on.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

You're not going to go from here to single payer, it's crazy to think it's possible. There's too many hurdles and it's good on Bernie for recognizing that progress doesn't happen all at once but in stages. He's going to be more effective doing stuff like this than anything else.

pigeon

Banned

He probably decided that he has a chance to win the presidency and decided to start selling out in advance.

No but seriously, if everybody is going to view Bernie's bill as a template for the left, that puts a lot of pressure on him to make the bill realistic. That's what happens when you take the outsiders and tell them they're party leaders! Should have let him live in peace in the Vermont wilderness.

I think he recognizes that if he's going all out for single-payer and not a farthing less, and Democrats simply pass a public option next time they're in power, he's set up the expectations game too high and the left is disillusioned yet again.

Perhaps that shouldn't be his role, but he's in cahoots with the establishment now, so I can understand him giving concerns like that greater consideration.

kirblar

You're not going to go from here to single payer, it's crazy to think it's possible. There's too many hurdles and it's good on Bernie for recognizing that progress doesn't happen all at once but in stages. He's going to be more effective doing stuff like this than anything else.
Unfortunately, he sold half a generation on promising Unicorns and now has to deflate the balloon he created without popping it.

pigeon

Banned
Because $$$.

What's her name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom