• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Have you ever thought they might, I dont know, be sincere?
I don't care about their sincerity when they're busting up local businesses in the name of their ideology. They're causing harm to people for no reason.

I don't care about sincerity when it comes to shitty, discredited ideologies that are actively destructive and even worse options than the ones they're fighting against. It doesn't matter if you're a evangelical white nationalist or an atheist communist, they're all bad.

Difference between the two being that there are way more of the former than the latter.

UberTag

Once Calamity Bannon is gone, we need to start referring to Trump as Kushner's bitch.
And that soft-spoken, Michael Cera-lookalike Jared is the real president and Ivanka is the real first lady.
Donny will like that.

Thanks for the responses, gang. Whenever CNN or other sources I've used to figure out how Antifa is defined, I usually get something about as concrete as a description of the working structure of Anonymous at best. I guess the better question on my end would've been: who does the right wing think is Antifa, at which point the answer would be: everyone who publicly protests Donald Trump I suppose...

Teggy

DHMgPu4UMAEaYRm

UberTag

Thanks for the responses, gang. Whenever CNN or other sources I've used to figure out how Antifa is defined, I usually get something about as concrete as a description of the working structure of Anonymous at best. I guess the better question on my end would've been: who does the right wing think is Antifa, at which point the answer would be: everyone who publicly protests Donald Trump I suppose...
Pretty much. And they're all bought off by George Soros because who could actually be against the great Trump if not being paid for it.

I don't care about their sincerity when they're busting up local businesses in the name of their ideology. They're causing harm to people for no reason.

I don't care about sincerity when it comes to shitty, discredited ideologies that are actively destructive and even worse options than the ones they're fighting against. It doesn't matter if you're a evangelical white nationalist or an atheist communist, they're all bad.

Difference between the two being that there are way more of the former than the latter.

oh hello "both sides" havent seen you brought up in a discussion in like 5 minutes.

kirblar

An opportunity to equate dissent with violence?

Kusagari

Hmm...

Curbelo saying on CNN there's people in the Trump WH that want to accommodate and cater to the alt-right and white supremacists.

Edit: Just flat out said Bannon and Miller are two of them.

kirblar

but property damage!
Clearly, you don't understand context:
If we were in an post-racial world and there were violent leftists supported by a President Maduro, AntiFa would be an actual problem. But we're not. They're an annoying gnat in comparison to the danger posed by white supremacists.
Hmm...

Curbelo saying on CNN there's people in the Trump WH that want to accommodate and cater to the alt-right and white supremacists.
....duh?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I mean I think we should agree "violence against Nazis" = complicated, but probably good and "violence against local property" = bad, right? Unless the property is owned by the Nazis?

But also like is there credible evidence that Antifa is even responsible for local property damage? I haven't seen it

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm...

Shocking if true

Not shocking at all and I'm sure most people with a functioning brain have already arrived at that conclusion given who's involved with this administration

kirblar

Republicans in congress have basically never called out Bannon or Miller directly, so I think it's pretty significant.
Oh I didn't recognize the name, thought it was a CNN anchor. (cause I don't watch them cause if you want to talk about actual "both-sides"-ism, there you go.)

pigeon

Banned
I mean I think we should agree "violence against Nazis" = complicated, but probably good and "violence against local property" = bad, right? Unless the property is owned by the Nazis?

My opinion on this became somewhat more ambivalent when I learned that, in addition to their normal insurance claims, property owners can typically file claims against the city or state to seek redress for damages incurred during a riot.

Kusagari

Oh I didn't recognize the name, thought it was a CNN anchor. (cause I don't watch them cause if you want to talk about actual "both-sides"-ism, there you go.)

Yeah, sorry. I forget everyone probably doesn't know random Florida congressman (though Curbelo's significant because his district went majorly for Hillary).

sphagnum

Banned

But also like is there credible evidence that Antifa is even responsible for local property damage? I haven't seen it

I don't think it's morally wrong because of, well, my avatar. But I think it's a tactic that often causes more blowback than it's worth and it tends to just confuse people more than make the statement anarchists want it to make. So I don't encourage it and I think it's not a good fit for a regular protest.

But it has it's place.

I looked on YouTube and there appears to be a little discourse and protesters. However, there is next to nothing on the organization. All I can find is an Antifa NYC Twitter page. YouTube and that one Twitter page is the best way to understand Antifa. Or at least what it is and why conservatives keep squawking about it. Personally, some of their rhetoric on Twitter and on their posters are a bit extreme and off putting. However, in general the videos I've seen seem to show organized protesting for the most part. They tend to wear all black and bandanas.

UberTag

Republicans in congress have basically never called out Bannon or Miller directly, so I think it's pretty significant.
Bannon can get banished without too much initial fuss but Miller is Jared's little buddy and far more entrenched.
Not only that but Bannon can continue to influence the WH through Miller as a conduit even if he's sent packing as a symbolic expulsion.

sphagnum

Banned
I looked on YouTube and there appears to be a little discourse and protesters. However, there is next to nothing on the organization. All I can find is an Antifa NYC Twitter page. YouTube and that one Twitter page is the best way to understand Antifa. Or at least what it is and why conservatives keep squawking about it. Personally, some of their rhetoric on Twitter and on their posters are a bit extreme and off putting. However, in general the videos I've seen seem to show organized protesting for the most part. They tend to wear all black and bandanas.

Again, they are radicals. If fascism was eradicated entirely they'd set their sights on capitalism.

Say there was some kind of semi-organized group of private citizens with an explicitly stated goal of pulling down all confederate monuments around the country, who would go town to town at night. Not outright destroying-- just pulling them down so that whole bullshit museum plan for it all could still happen. Could you find a jury that would actually convict them? Hell, even a prosecutor to charge them? Politicians and law enforcement might even silently welcome it since it would avoid the controversy of their having to order their removal eventually.

They're true anarchists. There is no organization. To be an anarchist is to rebel against oppression and structure, class and wealth, cult worship and rules. It is organic and voluntary. Emergent order.

pigeon

Banned
I'd prefer if they don't destroy public property, and have the local government remove it officially. I'm wary with people taking "justice" into their own hands, because things can escalate.

Yeah, I mean, next thing you know we'll have armed militias and terrorist attacks.

kirblar

I'd prefer if they don't destroy public property, and have the local government remove it officially. I'm wary with people taking "justice" into their own hands, because things can escalate.
Doing it this way puts the question directly to them: "You really want to pay to replace/repair this shit? You really want that vote on your record?"

Slizeezyc

I mean in terms of the message not getting "mixed up" in the process then I suppose, but these bastions of the past need to get gone at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom