• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oriel

Then why stop at booing a guy with brain cancer? If optics don't matter, just get it over with and strangle him on the senate floor. /s

You guys will rationalize any insane idea that crosses your minds.

It's part of a mood among younger, more radical Dems who see the GOP freefalling into insanity and the far right as their party's chance to move further left and increase the polarisarion in America politics. I posted a Gif yesterday of the change in US politics over the decades, of the Republicans moving increasingly right. But the Dems largely remained static on the centre left. The Democrats don't need to match the GOP in embracing radical politics, they now occupy the political mainstream where rationality, normality and basic common sense reside.

jtb

Banned
They must really never expect the Democrats to have the White House, the House, and 50+ in the Senate again.

Because they just set a dangerous precedent.

Well, for starters, if Dems ever flip Congress, most of these people - by definition - will be out of a job.

Also, they have a lot of faith in the ~both sideszz~ media, which has yet to let them down. The Times is furiously figuring out an anti-Clinton angle to this whole thing as we speak.

They must really never expect the Democrats to have the White House, the House, and 50+ in the Senate again.

Because they just set a dangerous precedent.
Yup. What incentive do Democrats have at all to play nice next time and go for 60 votes? The GOP has demonstrated that they're willing to repeal any healthcare law on a 50-50 vote with no hearings, no amendments, not even a bill.

The parts of ACA that can't be passed through reconciliation are being left in place. Just restore it and pass Medicare buy-in too.

Ogodei

It's part of a mood among younger, more radical Dems who see the GOP freefalling into insanity and the far right as their party's chance to move further left and increase the polarisarion in America politics. I posted a Gif yesterday of the change in US politics over the decades, of the Republicans moving increasingly right. But the Dems largely remained static on the centre left. The Democrats don't need to match the GOP in embracing radical politics, they now occupy the political mainstream where rationality, normality and basic common sense reside.

There's merit to that (as we can see with the current shitshows of the House unable to pass a budget and the Senate barely able to agree to hold a debate), but at the same time being the one with morals means you're getting outmaneuvered by the ones who threw morality away a long time ago.

Hopfrog

Well, for starters, if Dems ever flip Congress, most of these people - by definition - will be out of a job.

Also, they have a lot of faith in the ~both sideszz~ media, which has yet to let them down. The Times is furiously figuring out an anti-Clinton angle to this whole thing as we speak.

"To be honest, the failure of HillaryCare in 1994 set the stage for this." - Maggie Haberman

PBY

Banned

LOLOLOLOLOL

pigeon

Banned
I actually think most Dems probably see McCain as one of the "good ones". (see: the entire 2016 campaign)

Of course, they shouldn't but that's another problem entirely...

McCain works hard to message that he thinks the GOP is fucked up and bad but supports them anyway out of party loyalty.

This is confusing to some.

kess

What do dems gain by being mean to McCain when others clap for him for not being dead yet? Some of you guys just want to give republicans more ammo for attack ads.

People vote for other people who express how they feel. That's Politics 101.

Kusagari

LOL.

Rationality, normality and basic common sense are sure serving the Democrats well, huh?

Why do you equate the far left with the far right?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Marianna Sotomayor‏ @MariannaNBCNews

HELLER says leadership told him that their goal is to pass healthcare by Friday. "Let's put this behind us," he said.

Again: This isn't about health care. This is driven by Trump's insane obsession about "a win." He just wants something. If republicans are dumb enough to go along with it, they'll have to deal with the consequences.

Oriel

There's merit to that (as we can see with the current shitshows of the House unable to pass a budget and the Senate barely able to agree to hold a debate), but at the same time being the one with morals means you're getting outmaneuvered by the ones who threw morality away a long time ago.

Just because the Dems occupy the centre space doesn't mean they have to roll over all the time. It's good to see the Dems in the Senate maintain unity (and some spine) by refusing to budge on ACA. There's this constant drone from the GOP of how the Dems must work with them to deliver "real healthcare reform". The Dems don't have to do jack-shit now and they're making that quite clear to the Reps.

Again: This isn't about health care. This is driven by Trump's insane obsession about "a win." He just wants something. If republicans are dumb enough to go along with it, they'll have to deal with the consequences.

Fuck you Heller. Trump's still gonna try to steal your seat.

Oh, did he just get tired of being Sandoval's lackey then?

Nobody hates each other in the Senate except they all hate Ted Cruz.

Some of these guys have worked with McCain for 600 years. In no universe would they not all show enthusiastic support for one of them coming back from any kind of hardship.

Except Ted Cruz.

Ernest

Banned
Watch out, hot mic!

Senators on hot mic: Trump is ‘crazy,’ ‘I’m worried’

“Yes,” Reed replies. “I think — I think he’s crazy,” apparently referring to the president. “I mean, I don’t say that lightly and as a kind of a goofy guy.”
In a more salacious part of what was recorded, Collins then addressed a radio interview in which Rep. Blake Farenthold (R-Tex.) suggested that if Collins were a man, he’d have challenged her to a duel for opposing the Senate Republicans’ Obamacare overhaul bill.

“Did you see the one who challenged me to a duel?” Collins asks.
“I know,” Reed replies. “Trust me. Do you know why he challenged you to a duel? ‘Cause you could beat the s— out of him.”

“Well, he’s huge,” Collins replies. “And he — I don’t mean to be unkind, but he’s so unattractive it’s unbelievable.”

“Did you see the picture of him in his pajamas next to this Playboy bunny?” she continues, referring to an infamous photo of Farenthold

jtb

Banned
The problem with putting American politics on a scale is that the values the far right votes for (racial animus) are wildly different from the policies they get (slash and burn supply side bullshit).

There isn't an appetite for far right economics in this country, and yet we'll get it anyways.

What that means for the Dems strategy going forward - I have no idea.

lol this is absolutely pathetic.

Matt Fuller‏Verified account @MEPFuller 33m33 minutes ago
More
John Cornyn just told us the first vote will be on BCRA with the Cruz amendment.

That's not what @RandPaul thought this morning.

It's Cornyn though...

I'm just not specifically angry at John because we've all hated him for years already. Is this the worst thing he's even done? John McCain ran for president in the year of our Lord 2000 on privatizing social security, destroying welfare, and giving tax dollars to churches. Then he hum ho'd us into two wars because he feels guilty he dropped out of the sky in Vietnam and never got to unwrap a mission accomplished banner from his hot wife's bosom in celebratory bacchanalia. I'd say he jerks off into his old captain's hat but we all know his shoulders haven't been able to function like that in decades. The worst thing of all though is that it's been over 8 years since we started calling him John McCrusty and somehow the good humble folk of Flagstaff still let him wander the halls of the Senate like a Night of the Living Dead extra. People definitely don't give a shit about that, though, because they let Reagan get away with the same thing as president even though he was stumbling over himself in debates during his reelection bid and only saved himself by having practiced prewritten witty responses to Mondale's boring and predictable routine. Everyone dies of cancer if they live long enough and ol' Maverick didn't have that great of a life to begin with so while the militant right can honor him I present him with my own obituary, pre-stamped, mailed in advance PRIORITY SHIPPING to his home address.

latest

Here lies John McCain, who valiantly fought the Cylons in our time of desperation. He saved humanity even though he had an alcoholic temper and didn't have the patience for democratic government. In his final moments, brain ravaged by cancer and the world on his shoulders, he made sure to drag his dilapidated ass back to the fleet's Council to signal his approval to move forward with stripping healthcare privileges from the fleet's citizens and finally give the upper class elites their hard earned tax break, gods willing. So say we all.

Loxley

And even then, for the Republicans who do want to pass something, it's not about healthcare for them either. It's about tax cuts for the rich, which they won't be able to afford unless they gut Medicaid and Medicare.

JP_

Banned
There isn't an appetite for far right economics in this country, and yet we'll get it anyways.
Uhh, what country is that? Even on GAF, people were revolting over sanders' idea of using taxes to pay for universal healthcare.

Blader

Did Warren actually vote to confirm Carson?

https://decisiondeskhq.com/vote-tracker/confirmation-vote-of-dr-ben-carson-for-hud/ suggests otherwise?

Or did she only vote for him out of committee?

Right, she voted for him out of committee, but not on the floor.

So this means Heller is a definite yes on whatever gets presented to him at the end of this right?

It's Cornyn though...

This guy has got to be the dumbest whip.

PBY

Banned
Because polarization among the public has increased dramatically on both sides. The Dems have resisted that as a party and stood their ground. The GOP, on the other hand, gave in to their extreme flank.

This is the most kirblar post.

jtb

Banned
Uhh, what country is that? Even on GAF, people were revolting over sanders' idea of using taxes to pay for universal healthcare.

Don't be disingenuous. The far right in this country is not anyone who does not agree with Bernie Sanders. The far right is people like Brownback in Kansas.

If you have a better term to substitute for those people, be my guest.

So this means Heller is a definite yes on whatever gets presented to him at the end of this right?
Seems like it. He has gone full YOLO with his smiling ass next to Trump. In either case, we have two solid No's: Murkowski and Collins. Rand will vote no unless its not a full repeal, lindsey will vote no unless its not skinny repeal. Its almost impossible to make them vote yes at the same time.

kirblar

He says that as if its some kind of virtue?
Because it is.

The far flanks are both full of monstrously stupid ideas fueled by dogmatic devotion to ideology.

Centrism and moderation are not inherently virtuous. But pushing for change while being careful to implement good change and not just shit that doesn't work but feels good to know-nothings is.

PBY

Banned
Because it is.

The far flanks are both full of monstrously stupid ideas fueled by dogmatic devotion to ideology.

This is some bad both sides-isms. Without listening to the left, we wouldn't be considering singlepayer. Or raising the min. wage. Or all sorts of GOOD policy that centrists fear aren't "practical."

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
He keeps going back to loyalty. Nothing about rule of law, ethics, what is or is not proper. These things literally do not enter his mind. He's completely oblivious to how it plays out for the rest of us who do care about and know these things.
I wonder what happens to a whole state that isn't loyal, ie flip and don't vote for his re-election...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom