• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
Because it is.

The far flanks are both full of monstrously stupid ideas fueled by dogmatic devotion to ideology.

Centrism and moderation are not inherently virtuous. But pushing for change while being careful to implement good change and not just shit that doesn't work but feels good to know-nothings is.

This is actually the definition of conservatism in countries where conservatives have not been overtaken by reactionaries and nationalists.

jtb

Banned
I would call standing one's ground and refusing to move farther right to appeal to crazies, as the GOP have, a virtue, yes.

By the way, have we gotten any sanctions news today?

Yeah, this is my takeaway from that graph: Dems haven't made the big shift towards the right/center that the far left accuses Obama and co. for making

At the end of the day, where are the electoral incentives to move further left? Seems to me like we can get there pretty easily - we'll just have to be pretty racist along the way.

At what point does Trump decide that the importance of firing Sessions outweighs the criticism he'll get from doing it? When he gets wind that Mueller's gotten some damning financial info?

Chococat

While I don't agree with how whyamihere presented his argument, does PoliGAF haven any sympathy for those who are freaking out with this process, some in comparable medical conditions?

My uncle has a brain tumor. My aunt is in dialysis. They are in the process of getting divorced because they will get better coverage being single. They can't afford their medication while they are married.

Teggy

Reid's former assistant says that McCain's voting for MTP and then voting against any bills would be consistent with his speech because MTP used to be a formality. So he may have voted for MTP as he believes that is normal order, and then will vote against bills because of how they were drawn up.

I'm not holding my breath, however.

Reid's former assistant says that McCain's voting for MTP and then voting against any bills would be consistent with his speech because MTP used to be a formality. So he may have voted for MTP as he believes that is normal order, and then will vote against bills because of how they were drawn up.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

McCain is a good solider. They bring him out. He'll vote. The question is if they can get the others to follow suit.

I will eat sardines covered in peanut butter if he votes against the final product with Collins and Murkowski.

jtb

Banned

How does this argument make any sense in a world where the filibuster exists and is regularly used/abused? I don't see it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't this come up last night where they don't have to follow the Parliamentarian by written rules, only un-written?

Kinda, but going down that path is practically the same as nuking the filibuster entirely.

Hot take: Trump's approval will take a measurable dip and it could be because of five or six (hundred) different things but it will turn out to be because of his Boy Scouts speech.

kirblar

I mean.. you realize its all relative right? Things that are extreme become normal over time.
But they don't. Discredited extreme ideas don't go away, they float out there just waiting for another generation to pick them up because they feel good. The trajectory of Gay Rights is not what the debate on the majority of topics looks like.

Didn't this come up last night where they don't have to follow the Parliamentarian by written rules, only un-written?

i really love how the main difference between our constitution and the constitution of the country immediately to our north is that their checks on abuses of government power aren't literally just agreements among good ol' boys that suddenly become toilet paper the second there's a sociopath manning every lever

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hot take: Trump's approval will take a measurable dip and it could be because of five or six (hundred) different things but it will turn out to be because of his Boy Scouts speech.

The same group of people that booed Obama at that meeting are the ones who would have to turn against him.

kirblar

i really love how the main difference between our constitution and the constitution of the country immediately to our north is that their checks on abuses of government power aren't literally just agreements among good ol' boys
I would submit that our good-ol-boy agreements have held us back because we kept respecting them for a whole decade+ past the point where the GOP abandoned them.

jtb

Banned
Good catch Bernie

I think the MTP is going to bury that story pretty quickly

I completely disagree. Healthcare terrifies the political media; they can't speak what is patently obvious about the bill because it makes them 'biased.'

Grandstanding about Trump's manners and 'norms'? That's easy. They'll take the easy way out 100 times out of 100. That or doing a deep dive on the Mooch.

PBY

Banned
But they don't. Discredited extreme ideas don't go away, they float out there just waiting for another generation to pick them up because they feel good. The trajectory of Gay Rights is not what the debate on the majority of topics looks like.

Isn't the entire trajectory of social justice basically extreme ideas becoming normalized and in many cases winning out?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I do love getting to play the Trust Game with my government so much.

Ironically, it's actually the democrats who would need 60 votes to overturn a ruling by Pence or McConnell that overrides the parliamentarian, but i guess the assumption is they wouldn't get the 50 votes on the legislation if they don't follow that norm.

house_full.gif

Is he wrong, though?

PBY never sees the irony in his posts. That was the most PBY post I've seen lol

Ernest

Banned
Yeah, people are (understandably) losing their shit over his speech to the BS. Even people who don't engage in politics are chiming in with a resounding "WTF was that!"
The Boy Scouts facebook page is a war zone right now, with over 90% of comments being strongly anti-Trump.

JettDash

So are these rules that can easily be overturned/overruled? Or do these rules actually have teeth here?

Technically the presiding officer of the Senate has final say. But they have always deferred to the parliamentarian. If they ignore her now, it really isn't that different from nuking the filibuster. I doubt they do it for a shit bill like the BRCA.

Quick, someone tell me if Tulsi Gabbard is a moderate or just an asshole

Fake ass crypto Republican Blue Dog asshole. The far-left loves to rant about how Democrats have moved to the center or the right. If they had any sense they'd level those criticisms at her.

But Saint Bernie blessed her.

Teggy

How does this argument make any sense in a world where the filibuster exists and is regularly used/abused? I don't see it.

I think that's the same point - the use of the filibuster as a partisan means to completely obstruct is a relatively recent development and indicative of the extremes we've reached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom