• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
I agree with all of this, but there are other non-voters that you didn't mention, and they're the largest chunk I think. It's the people who thought that they didn't want to vote for either candidate who live in those swing states and then stayed home. For example, the entire staff of Deadspin posted how they were going to vote before the election, and most of them were going to write in shit or not vote. Most lived in NY so no big deal, but one of them lives in Pennsylvania. Whoops!

Sure, this is a good point. I was more or less talking about perennial non-voters. But we don't even need to win those, although we should try. We can probably just try to win the people who normally vote but didn't vote in 2016. And if the people who say that Hillary was just a disastrous, unwinnable candidate are right, we can get those people to vote by just not running Hillary.

Diablos

Doing that would split the GOP. Trump wasn't President the last time he took over the party.
Maybe in the House you'd see the biggest rift. I can see the Senate being more sensible about it though.

Splitting apart before dumping Trump just seems like the more catastrophic option for the viability of right wing politics. I realize both possibilities would hurt them. But if they can get some kind of concensous behind the scenes, THEN impeach Trump, and then have Pence at the helm while cooler heads in the party try to stop the bleeding (as quietly as possible) while Pence acts Presidential I think that might be their best shot?

I'm not saying it would be smooth sailing because it won't. Nor am I saying the party splitting wouldn't happen eventually under this scenario. I just think it might be less likely, and if they would stay together it would fuck the party over for a few years at least

True. But I would think impeaching him and getting MIKEPENCE is, of the two possibilities, a sounder alternative as it's a calculated risk that's probably less damaging in the long run. Sure, Trump could still back primary challengers and fight the GOP until his last breath, but not being President anymore -- especially after getting removed from office -- gives you much less exposure and a smaller voice.

Like they would still probably lose lots of voters for impeaching trump but they can afford to lose a cycle or two, finally rebrand in a legit way behind the scenes in a logical way and then come back to fight another day.

I've been thinking that since before the inauguration but look at the slow-motion trainwreck we're in. It took months before hearings, months before concerted verbal backtalk and POTUS-checking legislation. It's like they're acting as if they don't realize it's going to get worse (even if behind the scenes they've turned on him and are waiting for the right time or indictments), or acting like they WANT this to blow up during 2018 campaigns.

Flake shouldn't be an abberation by now.

Anyways, I'm back in one of these "facepalm" moments I've been in and out of this last year so it's not like some new revelation to me or anyone reading this.

mo60

It seems like the hurricane thankfully wasn't as bad as it was predicted to be? If so, yeah he's back to his usual self-inflicted news cycle. I hope the media is pointing out how gross it was to use a natural disaster to hide your bad news.

Wouldn't say anything yet about how bad this hurricane is.. Harvey is going to be a multi-day event for texas and possibly the entire gulf coast. Harvey will be still around by sometime next week in texas.

Nordicus

Wouldn't say anything yet about how bad this hurricane is.. Harvey is going to be a multi-day event for texas and possibly the entire gulf coast. Harvey will be still around by sometime next week in texas.
Yeah, tornadoes just started hitting Harris County few hours ago.

Teggy

Whoa, stormfront has been shut down

DIMDtZhWsAAGvoN

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Reddit will probably never do anything because they're worried about Digg-style mass exodus.

I still think a huge win would've been someone buying Twitter and finally dealing with *their* toxic users, but apparently they're so toxic no one wants to buy it? Welp.

Reddit will probably never do anything because they're worried about Digg-style mass exodus.

I still think a huge win would've been someone buying Twitter and finally dealing with *their* toxic users, but apparently they're so toxic no one wants to buy it? Welp.

Need to get rid or those bots too.

It seems like the hurricane thankfully wasn't as bad as it was predicted to be? If so, yeah he's back to his usual self-inflicted news cycle. I hope the media is pointing out how gross it was to use a natural disaster to hide your bad news.

The hurricane is basically following the worst case scenario. It's already the strongest hurricane to hit the Texas coast since 1961 and it is going to dump rain until Wednesday. It's really, really bad.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Stormfront.ru in a week.

Edit: it's still good, would rather they waste energy dodging whack a mole than be harbored by legit web hosts.

It's really useful for finding hobbyist communities (I recently started an account to post on r/blogging). But man, the stuff that used to be on there (and some that still is) is dreadful.

It's basically a perpetual milkshake duck, which can be kind of fun.

"Oh, that's a cute picture of a parrot, I wonder if this user has more pictures... oh no..." has happened on an almost weekly basis for me.

New amendment to the constitution.

Congress can override a pardon with 2/3rds vote.

The pardon is actually kind of weird in that Congress can't override it. The president generally isn't the last word on stuff with no way for Congress to overrule it.

The president can't even appoint his own staff without the Senate, but he can erase all (federal) crimes a person commits with a simple note.

Ogodei

Stormfront.ru in a week.

Edit: it's still good, would rather they waste energy dodging whack a mole than be harbored by legit web hosts.

Stormfront actually did try to move to the Russian web. First they were dropped by GoDaddy, then went darkweb for a bit, then went to a Russian host, but the Russian internet regulatory body shut them down for illegal content.

I guess maybe they moved back to Web.com?

Stormfront actually did try to move to the Russian web. First they were dropped by GoDaddy, then went darkweb for a bit, then went to a Russian host, but the Russian internet regulatory body shut them down for illegal content.

I guess maybe they moved back to Web.com?

You're thinking of the Daily Stormer. Stormfront is the OG Neonazi forum, Daily Stormer was a more recent news site.

Stormer went Go-Daddy, Google, Darkweb, .ru, darkweb, and then apparently got kicked out of there somehow and apparently lost their site.

Ogodei

only EBT cards or obamaphones to get in to vote

This could actually backfire given how many very conservative white people are on some form of public assistance.

My idea was polls that are only open from 9 PM to 2 AM. Knock the average age of voters back by 25 years.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This could actually backfire given how many very conservative white people are on some form of public assistance.

My idea was polls that are only open from 9 PM to 2 AM. Knock the average age of voters back by 25 years.

That's... actually pretty ingenious.

Fucked up, but ingenious.

The hypocrisy of republicans is never more apparent than when it comes to disaster relief and preparation.
Small government*

*Except when my state** has been ravaged by God's plan

**This only applies to my state, I will vote against any other state getting disaster relief***

***I am the worst and probably have like 5 gay hooker scandals waiting to break at any moment in spite of being a family values**** candidate

****Also bullshit

Houston is bad. Like, really bad. It's a scale that I'm not sure even the most prepared administration with the best-funded FEMA with Captain Planet at the helm could manage it all. People are going to try to hold public officials accountable at some point, but this is way deep into "act of God" territory such that even my highly partisan brain knows that only so much can be done in advance regardless of who might be mayor/governor/president/whatever. The "hurricane damage" stuff is an entirely different matter in terms of both preparation and execution than all the flooding is, though it'll all get lumped together as a story.
Donald Trump is probably the most famous person in the world.

I want to kill myself.
Obama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom