• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is hard for me to tell. Did news in other countries talk about Obama as much as they (presumably) do Trump?
Hm, interesting question. It's hard to 1:1 compare this because 1) I'm sure Obama was covered new/differently compared to W at first, too, and 2) media has changed a lot since. How about we look at it this way-- By Trump's own standards, Obama is more popular. Social media followers, of course! And that's before the twitter bot audit. So even in Trump units of measurement he's not at the top of the mountain.

JettDash

Hm, interesting question. It's hard to 1:1 compare this because 1) I'm sure Obama was covered new/differently compared to W at first, too, and 2) media has changed a lot since. How about we look at it this way-- By Trump's own standards, Obama is more popular. Social media followers, of course! And that's before the twitter bot audit. So even in Trump units of measurement he's not at the top of the mountain.

Yeah, but being popular is not the same as being well known.

Kim Jon Un is probably one of the most well known people in the world but he is not very popular.

barber

It is hard for me to tell. Did news in other countries talk about Obama as much as they (presumably) do Trump?
i would say during the first years so, mainly comparing it with W and the change of being ruled by a moron. Also the
really fucking stupid
Nobel Prize helped.
The thing is that Trump has a near daily amount of screwups, with normally a major happening every week, so they can always fill time with him (and more or less once a week I can see it in my country's newspapers).

Nordicus

Houston is bad. Like, really bad. It's a scale that I'm not sure even the most prepared administration with the best-funded FEMA with Captain Planet at the helm could manage it all. People are going to try to hold public officials accountable at some point, but this is way deep into "act of God" territory such that even my highly partisan brain knows that only so much can be done in advance regardless of who might be mayor/governor/president/whatever. The "hurricane damage" stuff is an entirely different matter in terms of both preparation and execution than all the flooding is, though it'll all get lumped together as a story.
The few people in the Harvey thread that went "this hurricane is probably all media hype" after just one day have me so angry.

Way to count your chickens before they hatch, ya dumb fucks

I think next time Dems are in total power we need to do a bunch of constitutional amendments to curb the power of the presidency. They would pass.

shem935

Banned
Also if democrats were in the position of having majorities but not enough to run through amendments on their own and needing republican votes you're underestimating the knee jerk response of republicans to say no to everything. Also them passing those amendments will be an admission that they fucked up with trump.

JettDash

eh, the fillibuster is this institutional senate thing.

there's nothing stopping them from curbing president kamala's pardon power. they might be giddy to do it!

And the president's pardon power is a constitutional thing. Way more basis than the Senate's stupid rules.

JettDash

Don't let it get you down man! Think of it this way, Trump is also one of the most miserable people on the planet. You know he's not a happy man.

There is always that.

I really hope he hates his life.

I have never hated a person more in my life.

Houston is bad. Like, really bad. It's a scale that I'm not sure even the most prepared administration with the best-funded FEMA with Captain Planet at the helm could manage it all. People are going to try to hold public officials accountable at some point, but this is way deep into "act of God" territory such that even my highly partisan brain knows that only so much can be done in advance regardless of who might be mayor/governor/president/whatever. The "hurricane damage" stuff is an entirely different matter in terms of both preparation and execution than all the flooding is, though it'll all get lumped together as a story.
Obama.
He's bragging about his win and talking about his big rally later in the week, while Houston is under water. He's also implied the record rain is a good thing.

Even if there's nothing he could do to help, he's still managed to find a way to mess up

Ernest

Banned
There is always that.

I really hope he hates his life.

I have never hated a person more in my life.

Yeah, I get it. If there's a "worst aspects of America", Trump certainly personifies it. Thankfully, he's hated by FAR more people than he is liked. Just wish more of those people would've voted.

Enjoy!

We are in the NAFTA (worst trade deal ever made) renegotiation process with Mexico & Canada.Both being very difficult,may have to terminate?

With Mexico being one of the highest crime Nations in the world, we must have THE WALL. Mexico will pay for it through reimbursement/other.

Wow - Now experts are calling #Harvey a once in 500 year flood! We have an all out effort going, and going well!

Many people are now saying that this is the worst storm/hurricane they have ever seen. Good news is that we have great talent on the ground.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
And he would blame obama for the fallout that happens if he does withdraw fromm nafta.. also

WE HAVE A FUCKING HURRICANE ON TEXAS THAT'S DUMPING TONS OF WATER!STOP TWEETING!

Nordicus

Wow - Now experts are calling #Harvey a once in 500 year flood! We have an all out effort going, and going well!

Many people are now saying that this is the worst storm/hurricane they have ever seen. Good news is that we have great talent on the ground.
tumblr_oslj1fuooo1qb5qxmo1_540.gif
WE HAVE A FUCKING HURRICANE ON TEXAS THAT'S DUMPING TONS OF WATER!STOP TWEETING!
Shhhh, no anger, only jubilant record breaking as people drown and lose their homes.

"Houston is under water, how can we help them?"
"How about we exit out of NAFTA while nobody is paying attention!"
"But won't that hurt the economy of Texas in the middle of a crisis?"
"Let's get out of NAFTA, it's a bad deal, a real bad deal, the worst deal"

Has anyone ever wondered if orange turd has intellectual disability? It doesn't excuse how evil and bigoted he is but his mental capabilities are far below average.

Well there have been hypotheses of dementia every now and then when he seems especially disoriented.

Though it kind of seems like narcissism often results in a reduction of effective intelligence because starting from such a radically biased viewpoint acts as a handicap.

Rebel Leader

"Houston is under water, how can we help them?"
"How about we exit out of NAFTA while nobody is paying attention!"
"But won't that hurt the economy of Texas in the middle of a crisis?"
"Let's get out of NAFTA, it's a bad deal, a real bad deal, the worst deal"
Texas has a possibility to have 3 crisis at once

1. Hurricane causing massive flooding
2. Withdraw from nafta
3. Government shutdown

Texas has a possibility to have 3 crisis at once

1. Hurricane causing massive flooding
2. Withdraw from nafta
3. Government shutdown

Oh, shit, uh... what happens if we get a government shutdown and FEMA operations are still ongoing? I'd imagine that those jobs fall under the national security umbrella and they keep on, but I suddenly realize that I don't actually know that.

Rebel Leader

Oh, shit, uh... what happens if we get a government shutdown and FEMA operations are still ongoing? I'd imagine that those jobs fall under the national security umbrella and they keep on, but I suddenly realize that I don't actually know that.
Best thing i could find
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/government-shutdown-agencies-stay-open-close/story?id=13309873

Department of Homeland Security: Working But Limited Services Over 80% of the DHS workforce has been deemed to be "essential" personnel for agencies such as TSA, Customs and Border Protection, Secret Service, Coast Guard, FEMA and Immigration Customs Enforcement. The host of employees from intelligence analysts to cyber security officials are also considered "essential" and will continue working.

tbm24

While Texas is being ravaged by a hurricane, Trump tweets about it like an excited child looking at a twister. Nvm there are already casualties, he started his tweet with WOW!

Dude. Stop. Tweeting. Anything more than "my thoughts and prayers with the victims" isn't cool. People are dying, man. Shut. Up. There's a lot of "bitch eating crackers" syndrome with Trump, of course, but, dude, shut up. Just stay by the (land!) phone and send Texas literally whatever it asks for.
Oh, shit, uh... what happens if we get a government shutdown and FEMA operations are still ongoing?
There are a handful of things that are considered 100% essential services where staff must work even under a shutdown (secret service, IC, air traffic control, etc) but, uh, I have absolutely no idea if day-to-day FEMA operations are under that banner. I want to hope they are, but I truly don't know. If it's any consolation, that's where the National Guard is always ready to step in. It's not like the region would instantly go abandoned from all assistance.

This poor woman on KHOU stuck on a highway overpass having to do the entire station on her own while the main studio gets evacuated, lol. And she just ran into two gentlemen running around siphoning gas out of abandoned cars! Neat.

Rex Tillerson: "The President of the United States does not speak for America."

https://twitter.com/margarita/status/901816452558319617
Hooooooooly shit. And he's the relatively competent side of the cabinet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom